• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

BaronHardacre

Justified & Ancient
It has been many moons since I last posted in these here parts, so I thought I’d return with a tale to tell. The tale of the door that rattled…

In July 2011, a girlfriend and I decided to have a few days break in Liverpool.
I had booked an apartment for the visit, so it gave us more flexibility than a hotel, and had chosen Posh Pads at the Casartelli. I had stayed there before (more of which later), and liked the place.

For reasons I won’t bore you with, I’d booked a two bedroom apartment. The first night we slept in the bigger of the two bedrooms, however it faced directly onto the main road, so was a little noisy (sirens, traffic etc), so for the second night we decided on the second bedroom, which was to the side of the building.

Everything was fine… at first… then around midnight, or so, the door to the bedroom (which was shut) began rattling, as if a draft was catching it. However it wasn’t constant, but it was regular (about once every ten minutes).
It was rather annoying, so in my sleep deprived state, my first thought was to check where the draft might be coming from, so I went and checked all the other doors (to give you some geography of the apartment; all the rooms came off a small central hall, and the hall had one other door into the main corridor to the lifts/staircase/other apartments).
All the other doors were shut, and no windows were open in any of the other rooms. I also took the liberty of shutting the window in our bedroom.
So, we went back to bed, only for the rattling door to start up again, about half an hour later. Now, at this point, I was knackered, really couldn’t be bothered to check anything else, and was just prepared to put up with it, however my friend was very insistent on moving back to the first bedroom, sirens or no sirens, to make sure that I got a good night’s sleep…

Cut to the final day; we’d just checked out and were having a coffee in a café next to the apartment block. My friend confessed to me that there’d been another reason why she wanted to go back to the original bedroom; she’d been convinced there was something else in the bedroom with us (she’s somewhat sensitive to, in here words, “…woo-woo matters…”), but that she didn’t want to say anything on the night (or indeed whilst we were there), as she thought it would worry me…

Now, frankly, normally I would just pass such an event off as it being a draft or something, but for a number of reasons.
Firstly, the door was a fire door, therefore was hinged to be closed, and was a very heavy wooden door, and thus would have taken a significant breeze to rattle it.
Second, was that to have a draft would have been a damn near impossibility – our apartment was at the end of the main corridor, and was the furthest away from lifts & stairs, and as I say above, there was no other doors open in the apartment (all fire doors).
Thirdly, I did do some tests during the day, and with the same conditions, there was no rattle, indeed, after we’d moved back into the original room we didn’t hear any rattling from the corridor (though, to be fair I was dead to the world).
Finally, and possibly (or not) most pertinently, I’d booked to stop at Posh Pads earlier in the (March) on my own, and when I arrived I found that, despite my singular status, I’d been upgraded to a two bedroom apartment… I’ll give you a guess which one…
During my original time there, I had no incidence, despite using that second bedroom on two of the four nights I was there…

Personally, I’m less annoyed at the supernatural, or breeze, as I am myself for not thinking at the time of the most obvious solution; wedge the door open.
As I say, my friend is somewhat sensitive; however she did say something about having thoughts about prostitution going on the building at some point, however given that she’d spent a goodly part of the day in the slavery museum, I’m not sure whether that might just be an over active imagination.

Now, interestingly, on doing a little research (well, I Googled it, and looked at the first Wiki link that appeared), the original building itself dated from 1760, however it had become so dilapidated that it was replaced with an exact replica (which itself boggles my mind) in 2000, so technically it was a new building (despite it looking fairly old), though Wiki does state that, and I quote “Legend has it that building is haunted”. Though, annoyingly there’s no links to any articles/stories.

Sadly since then I’ve not quite had the funds to afford their eye watering rates, so I could see whether I would have that apartment booked to me for a third time…

I'd stay there. :D

Reminds me a little of my own stay in a Prague holiday apartment, where the bedroom door seemed to be disturbed at night. Didn't worry me at all, which probably indicates that I was dreaming, although it's weird to dream the same stuff every night.

How did 'your' door rattle exactly? Was it metallic or more like the woodwork? It takes a strong draught to rattle a well-fitting door. Someone pushing on it from the other side, though... :shock:

The rattle may not have been due to a draught. Perhaps it was as a result of the whole building vibrating?
Or, another idea - perhaps there was a rat trying to get from one room to another?

Could it have been machinery, somewhere else in the apartments? Some badly shielded machines do generate infrasound. Central heating, perhaps? Off during the day, off and on at night. The regular ten minute intervals could be a thermostat thing. Infrasound, could rattle doors and make some people thing they were 'not alone' in a room.

Then there's all that night time traffic out on the other side of the building, heavy container and freight trucks, etc. taking advantage of the quieter roads. Was there a railway line nearby? Same reason. Liverpool is still a port town.

Yup, the regular intervals make a mechanical explanation more likely.

Years ago I lived in a new flat near a building site. In the daytime I'd hear/feel a dull thump which occurred every eight seconds for hours. After a couple of weeks I worked out that it came from a machine being used by the builders, a tall structure which dropped something heavy from a height. A piledriver?
Anyway, I solved that one! :lol:

So perhaps a machine was vibrating the door?

A quick look at the map confirms that the apartments are situated between Central and James Street stations, where the trains are underground.

I recently saw Ghosts of the Underground which is up on Youtube. It follows the attempts of one expert to attribute our sense of nervousness in some environments to the levels of low-frequency noise he measured there.

I've been aware for some time of the effects created in my own home by heavy vehicles passing along the main road which runs parallel. A piston effect creates enough pressure to cause the whole building to flex slightly, even before the engine noise is audible. Why it has become more pronounced lately is harder to say- bigger trucks and buses? Higher speeds? I've also noted how aircraft will create a certain uncomfortable pressure in my own head before the sound can be properly identified.

I'm sure these things don't explain away everything but the subliminal effects of noise may well be part of what makes some sites nerve-wracking. :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Whilst I do myself ascribe the cause to have been rather more prosaic than it being haunted (frankly, if my friend hadn’t brought the subject up, I wouldn’t have thought anymore of it), the answer is annoyingly elusive.
Heating: we’d turned it off (it had been a rather warm spell).
Machinery: I did think it might be the lifts or some such, but given the regularity, and time of night I’d dismissed that.
James: Thanks, I hadn’t realised about the underground trains, it is a possible (likely?) explanation, except the regularity with which it happened at night, but not during the day.

The building itself is away from the docks, and is at the end of a block (the building it adjoins to is an old building converted into a small collection of retail spaces including a rather nice 2nd hand bookshop, tattoo parlour, and hair extension shop); opposite was an art gallery and restaurant.
I just find it a little intriguing as the bedrooms were next to each other, and the other bedroom door had no issues. I checked the rattling door the next day and it was solid, with no issues with hinge.

As I say, the most puzzling aspect was that I’d slept in that exact same room mere months before, alone, with no issues.

As a side note, my friend who’d gone downstairs for cigarette one evening got talking to the night receptionist, and after some friendly exchanges, had asked the receptionist about the history of the building, at which point she (the receptionist) got quite evasive.
Again, my rather cynical mind would put it down to an over active imagination on the part of my friend, and perhaps the receptionist simply not knowing any of the history of the building, but not wanting to seem ill-informed to a guest.

A few years ago my wife and myself stayed at the Thistle hotel, round the corner from Euston station in London. Even several floors up we could hear a low rumbling sound that we assumed came from the underground tube.

my thoughts were central heating masquerading as a rattling door ... perhaps pipework serving the rest of the building or similar ... what was the apartment number just out of curiosity ?

I remember a couple of years or so ago, I was just about to head up to bed around midnight and as I did so both doors to the living room started to rattle in their frames. Scared the bejeezus out of me! It lasted a few seconds and then stopped.

The following morning I'd more or less forgotten about it until I read the news online, one of the headlines being a small earthquake centred in Lincolnshire if I remember correctly; the quake happened at the exact same time as the doors rattled - mystery solved.

Synchronous said:
I remember a couple of years or so ago, I was just about to head up to bed around midnight and as I did so both doors to the living room started to rattle in their frames. Scared the bejeezus out of me! It lasted a few seconds and then stopped.

The following morning I'd more or less forgotten about it until I read the news online, one of the headlines being a small earthquake centred in Lincolnshire if I remember correctly; the quake happened at the exact same time as the doors rattled - mystery solved.
pretty sure i have experienced this more than my fair share of times ... must be 5 or 6 now ...

HenryFort said:
my thoughts were central heating masquerading as a rattling door ... perhaps pipework serving the rest of the building or similar ... what was the apartment number just out of curiosity ?

No it was definitely the door; I went up to up when it had woken us up, and as I did it rattled (the "rattling" being as if if someone has shoved it).
As for the apartment number; I think it was 31, however I wouldn't swear to it.

As I say, I don't think it's anything other than a mundane explanation, though it's just what that explanation is... though I am thinking more and more it may have been the underground railway; whilst the trains themselves may well have not been running, I would assume that time of night may well have been prime time for maintenance. All it takes is the door being millimeters out of alignment (possibly temperature change), and bingo.

I do have another tale of minor strangeness, this time from my workplace, which I'll post when I get a moment.

13 backwards
sorry my little joke there at numerologists !

Not just numeroligists! I grew up in a semi-detached number 31 and my mum, bless her, would put anything from the slightest misfortune through to genuine family disasters down to the numbers on the door.
'It's 13 backwards. What else could we expect in this house?'
She wouldn't know numerology if she fell over it, but would probably qualify for a masters degree in superstition. :lol:

Hi. I have come across this website by googling the history of the Casartelli (Posh Pads). It's a great place and I have stayed there on approx 10 occasions, usually in thr same apartment, without any supernatural expereience. My last, recent stay there, however, was very different - strong feeling of a presence which lasted for hours, repeatedly seeing a black figure in my peripheral vision and a high-pitched whistling sound. My experiences were dismissed by my sister who was irritated by my concern - until later eve when she stopped talking mid-sentence and went pale - there was a black, shadowy figure behind me! I could also sense it. It didn't feel evil but I sensed restlessness and much activity. When I went to bed I saw black smoke swirling in a mirror. Prob unrelated but my charging phone had almost gone on fire in the adjoining room the eve before! It was not the same apartment as Baron Hardacres as both bedrooms were at the back of the building. Btw - we were sober!!

Hi. I have come across this website by googling the history of the Casartelli (Posh Pads). It's a great place and I have stayed there on approx 10 occasions, usually in thr same apartment, without any supernatural expereience. My last, recent stay there, however, was very different - strong feeling of a presence which lasted for hours, repeatedly seeing a black figure in my peripheral vision and a high-pitched whistling sound. My experiences were dismissed by my sister who was irritated by my concern - until later eve when she stopped talking mid-sentence and went pale - there was a black, shadowy figure behind me! I could also sense it. It didn't feel evil but I sensed restlessness and much activity. When I went to bed I saw black smoke swirling in a mirror. Prob unrelated but my charging phone had almost gone on fire in the adjoining room the eve before! It was not the same apartment as Baron Hardacres as both bedrooms were at the back of the building. Btw - we were sober!!
Welcome! What a wonderfully creepy story! Interesting that it was in the same place (although a different apartment) as the original poster's experience. You say that the presence didn't feel evil...were you alarmed at the time?

Hi, thank you. I had a strange feeling of fearly mild fear mixed with fascination at the time. So strange, as I would have imagined such an experience would have left me a jibbering wreck! Def a different apartment and one in which I have stayed for two or three times a year over the last five years or so with no probs before! I've been unable to get the experience out of my mind and would love to know more now that I know it is meant to be haunted, but am having no luck.

The doors are very heavy. Also, I'm pretty sure there are no underground trains in that vicinity. I think the underground station approx 1/4 miles to the east of the building has trains travelling in a North/South direction. Another underground station where trains travel East/West is approx 0.5 miles to the North of the building, so none of the trains run under the building or close by. Not sure about furnaces. Can't imagine where there would be one in that area.

The doors are very heavy. Also, I'm pretty sure there are no underground trains in that vicinity. I think the underground station approx 1/4 miles to the east of the building has trains travelling in a North/South direction. Another underground station where trains travel East/West is approx 0.5 miles to the North of the building, so none of the trains run under the building or close by. Not sure about furnaces. Can't imagine where there would be one in that area.
could be a furnace, a dishwasher, the neighbors truck, a semi on the road outside. you need to go back.

I know this is an old thread now but it reminded me of something.
I was once in a pub/restaurant out of hours. Sat in a dining area with a few other people. The lads that were staying in the apartments above the pub came home rather worse for wear, opened the door to where we were sat, slurred a cheery greeting, closed the door and went upstairs. About ten minutes later and to the surprise of all sat in the dining area the heavy wooden door started shaking in its frame. Really rattling. we shot out of our chairs and opened the door thinking someone was having a laugh but the corridor was empty.
After some intensive investigation we found out totally by accident that treading on just one particular floorboard upstairs at the opposite side of the building would trigger the closed door downstairs to violently shake in its frame. Sitting in the dining area you couldn’t hear anyone moving around in the room with the magic floorboard, but it just so happened to be the room that the inebriated chaps had decided to crash in.

I know this is an old thread now but it reminded me of something.
I was once in a pub/restaurant out of hours. Sat in a dining area with a few other people. The lads that were staying in the apartments above the pub came home rather worse for wear, opened the door to where we were sat, slurred a cheery greeting, closed the door and went upstairs. About ten minutes later and to the surprise of all sat in the dining area the heavy wooden door started shaking in its frame. Really rattling. we shot out of our chairs and opened the door thinking someone was having a laugh but the corridor was empty.
After some intensive investigation we found out totally by accident that treading on just one particular floorboard upstairs at the opposite side of the building would trigger the closed door downstairs to violently shake in its frame. Sitting in the dining area you couldn’t hear anyone moving around in the room with the magic floorboard, but it just so happened to be the room that the inebriated chaps had decided to crash in.
Great scope for pranking there. :nods:

Back