• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Strange Room

This is one that is currently happening to me: every time I come out of Moorgate tube station, the walk to Liverpool St. Station is different.
Sometimes I see Finsbury park circus thing straight away, and walk through there. Other times I find myself wandering up the street until I see South Place.
Now, the bizarre thing is, to get to South Place seems to be Left out of the station, then right onto South Place.
But I go left out of the station, left onto Finsbury Circus, come out of there and keep going left and BUGGER ME I get to Liverpool St.
A friend showed me this route, and I've taken it a few times but it doesn't make sense.
Now I have no sense of direction but this is just weird.

Maybe I'm having some sort of malady or brain seizure, as Fraterlibre suggests.

:confused:
pinkle

Brain Spasm Time

Pinkle - Actually never fear, parts of that ancient metropolis do indeed weasel and wind their way through various dimensional portals and wormholes in space-time. Or so I hear.

No, not those voices, the other ones.

Pinklefish said:
This is one that is currently happening to me: every time I come out of Moorgate tube station, the walk to Liverpool St. Station is different.:confused:
pinkle

Ooh, spooky -- I have the same problem, except I exit Moorgate station right and then walk to Holborn (or try to) on what should be a fairly straightforward route parallel to the aquaduct... except that I never fail to get lost trying to traverse the London Wall and wind up in apparently arbitrary parts of London; St. Pauls, Charing Cross Road, Whitechapel, etc.

I've given up now and take a different route to work which, ironically, is seemingly more complicated but I've never got lost on it.

Maybe there was something in Alan Moore's "From Hell" London pentagram theory...

Hmmm....

I get that, only it's when I try getting on the bus to Peterlee, Durham, I get transported into the staff toilets, Gregg's takeaway bakers, Birmingham. Either that or the Parthenon, anyway.

strange building

Last summer, a friend and I had a chance to visit Bill up in Idaho.
Bill's kind of a local celebrity in Billings because of his local cable
tv show. Up on the hill of his place in Northern Idaho, Bill's built
a really odd two story pagoda. It looked a little odd from the
outside, but when we went inside, we were freaked! It looked
alot bigger inside than it was outside. We went in and out at
least 5 times trying to figure it out, but never did. We got to
check for mirrors and couldn't find any. Bill says he isn't a
magician, but he's built something very magical. We're going
back this summer.

Tardis

Sounds like with a bit of tweaking you'd be able to go there last - and indeed any - summer in history, too!

Seeing is Believing

As great as Bill's pagoda is to describe, it's
really great to see! I wouldn't have believed
it if I hadn't seen it. If anyone is interested
in a visit, I can give you Bill's mailing address.
I'm sure he would arrange a tour. Also, I'm
going to check if he's got any pictures. If not,
next time I'm taking my digital camera. :)

Now the clinic's moved sides!

I went to my physican for the once-a-year checkup only to find that the building the clinic is in has been renamed "<something> <something> Chan Community Center."

Okay, buildings can get renamed.

However, when I went in, I turned right to go into the clinic, only to discover that the clinic was now on the left and the elevators were now on the right.

Moving the clinic would be one thing, but there's no way the architecture was rearranged to move the elevators.

Since the majority of the changed-reality events I've been experiencing have occurred in Silicon Valley, I'm open to hear speculation.

Proper Prefaces

Hmmm. I seem to be talking to myself on this thread. That can't be good.

Anyway, I'm going to teach a class after Easter called "A Romp Through the Book of Common Prayer."

In preparing for this class, I was noting that, although referred to, the "proper prefaces" are not in the American 1979 BCP.

Until yesterday, that is. There they were tucked in after the "Star Trek" Eucharistic prayer.

I swear the proper prefaces weren't there earlier. Now, all copies of the BCP have probably changed, and everyone will think I'm really more bonkers than I am.

Ahhhhhhh. :eek!!!!:

Hang on in there, Elisheva.
It sounds as if you're living in a trans-dimensional portal right now.;)

Keep us posted, it'll be easier to rescue you later!

Just joking of course. Its no fun having spooky things happen once, let alone twice or thrice! :eek:

Somewhere that doesn't exist?

Interesting story....
About 8 years ago I had just moved to Cambridge, Wisconsin. This is an extremely small town, about 1,000 people, and is very hard to get lost in. I had recently been shown a shorcut by the fire station that leads to a dead end road. I had started out that night trying to get myself accustom to the town, and I had virtually no idea where I was going. Walking down this street, I took a right (which leads to the dead end, just some condos blocking the road) and kept going. I remember every detail as I was impressed at how beautiful everthing looked. The houses were rich and impressive, etc. I continued on this road for about 30 minutes and somehow I came out at a circle. I followed back the way I had come after taking a couple of different sidestreets to see the layout of the area. After getting back to the house, I spoke to my cousin and he told me about the shortcut leading to the dead end! I had stayed on the road the entire time, and knew every curve. Going back, and subsequently searching the entire town, I have never been able to find that road again, and don't remember it's name. All I know is that where I remember the road curving, is approxamately where the dead end is. Weird!

StoneMunky said:
Along similar lines, here’s something that happened to me when I was about 10 or 11 years old. Two friends and myself decided we would try to gain access to the roof of a near by block of flats. We took the lift to the top floor and climbed the stars up to the door leading onto the roof. Unsurprisingly it was locked. Confidently announcing that picking the pad lock would be a “doddle” I set to work. After a few minutes, one of my companions said he was scared that the caretaker would discover us and he set off down the stairs saying that he’d wait for us outside. After a few more minutes of showing just how unsuited I was for life as a cat burglar I realises picking locks was a lot harder than it looked “in the movies” and I gave up. The block of flats we were in was perhaps 10 or 12 stories high (I don’t remember exactly and they have since been demolished so I can’t check) and after descending what seemed like way too many floors we still hadn’t hit the ground floor and it was starting to get a little spooky. After going down a further half dozen or so floors my friend started to really panic and sat down on the steps, crying and refusing to go any further. At this point I decided to abandon the stairs and try the lifts. I left the stair well and went onto the landing and pressed the call button for one of the lifts. Nothing happened (which considering the general state of repair of the place wasn’t that unusual) so I pressed the button for the other lift, still nothing. Returning to the stairs, I told me fiend to wait there until I’d found the way out and I set off down alone. After descending another 4 or 5 floors I began to panic (it seemed impossible at this point that we’d simple lost count of the number of floors) and feeling reluctant to continue down alone I returned to my friend and lied to him, saying that the ground floor was only a couple of flights of steps further down. We continued down and much to my amazement (not to mention immense relief) two floors down we found the exit. Outside my other friend was in a quite agitated state. He’d experienced no difficulties leaving the building and had become worried because “we’d been gone ages” (non of us had a watch so I’ve no idea how long we were trying to reach the ground floor)

This reads disturbingly like numerous experiences me and my friends have had in our old block of Uni flats. We'd usually be coming in quite late and be faced with the tasked of climbing four floors worth of stairs (Link to a photo of the stairwell here). Some point between the 1st and 2nd floor we would just kinda switch out and seem to be walking for a lot longer than we should have to reach the next floor, it was a group experience which made it slightly disturbing from my point of view. It happened on about 10 or so occasions. I'd put it down to an optical illusion that is created by the repetitive nature of the stairs however this could probably be still counted under the title of a "Time Slip".

Another thought has occured to me while reading this thread and the other on time slips. I know other people have experienced it before when I've been present but have you ever looked for an object that you just know is on the desk or sofa, and no matter how hard you look it just can't be found. My friend put it down to the House Brownies stealing it and always use to ask them to return it, generally this approach would work which was scary in itself. This thread made me think that maybe these objects in some cases have just some how slipped out of our perception in a similar way that people who experience Time Slips become aware of another perception. Just a wild theory though :)

I had that disappearing thing happen just this morning - went out to the car, suddenly realised I couldn't remember putting my mobile in the pocket at the front of my handbag, so I patted the pocket to check it - the pocket was flat as was the one next to it where I keep my office keys. Went back into the house and searched for it - nothing. Back out to the car, checked the pocket again, emptied the bag, still not there. Back to the house and tried phoning my mobile so I could locate it by sound - I have been known to set it down in odd places. Still nothing, so back out to the car, checked the pocket again and there was the phone in the usual place! Ok, it was probably there all the time but I did check the pocket twice - although not by opening the fastening, just prodding at it, as I usually do. It can't have been hubbie playing a trick - he'd already left for work about 10 minutes before me.
I just thought what a f@ckwit I am sometimes, but maybe it did disappear for a couple of minutes - will have to check my call credit.......

Roaming Charges

I hope interdimensional roaming charges aren't too high, yikes.

Time slip

I feel like I'm in a bit of an interdimensional timeslip right now, having just got an e-mail about a thread I posted on nearly 2 years ago! Seems like the world is still as full of spookiness as ever!

I'm reading stephen king's "Dark Tower" series. This thread strikes me as very similar to what the characters go through in the series/multiple worlds revolving near the "real" one and slipping from one to the next.

Actually, yes. I read most of them probably 20 years ago, but just bought "The Great Book of Amber" which contains all 10 vols in 1 at a used book store. Thought I might revisit/catch the whole thing at once. Don't remember much more than I liked the ones I read and wished I could find them in order/complete.

Fun

The Amber books are fun for the worlds-within-worlds aspect and that relates well to this thread.

I'm not sure if this is completley relevant, but here goes...

On a school trip in the eighties, we went to Southport Fun Park and most of my class ended up in the Fun House. I had managed to hurt my ankle at one point, so when everybody decided to climb the tight steel staircase to get to the top of the slide I was reticent, but decided to go. I found climbing the steps a bit painful, so once I had come down the slide, decided that was that, and stood at the railings at the bottom of the slide watching my friends on the big wooden spinny wheel.

Now this is the wierd part. After a few minutes I became aware that I was back on the landing at the top of the spiral stairs, looking down on my friends - the realisation actually made me feel dizzy and disorientated. Climbing these stairs with my bad ankle was not something I would likley do unconsciensly.

Back in the mid 70's, I spent a lot of time in the Old Town neighborhood of Chicago. In old town there were 3 courtyards or alleys. Two were well known and very popular (Piper's Alley- home of Second City, and Maiden Lane-home of Granny Good Fox, one of the neatest toy stores I've ever seen). The third on was on the east side of Wells St. at the southern end of Old Town. In it was a candy shop. Sometimes. I tried to visit the place every time I was in the area (at least once a month). Sometimes it would be there, sometimes it was just an empty storefront. Very unnerving.

I used to go to a Safeway in a town a distance away.
It was in a shopping arcade which I never seemed to get my bearings in. Shops were on the left one time and the right the next, or not there at all.

I now know that there are three entrances and the BF used whichever was convenient from whatever road we were on. Mystery solved.

Charles DeLint wrote at a short story called 'Timeskip' that is very good but very sad. The main character of the story meets a girl and they fall in love but one day while out walking in the rain, they encounter someone from the past who takes the girl with him when the timeslip ends. He tries to find the girl every time the circumstances are right but never succeeds. I've left a LOT out but it's the best I can remember wtihout digging up the book. The book is called Dreams Underfoot and it has some great stories in it about a fictional city called Newford. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a little magic in their lives. ;)

AUTEC?

I watched a documentary (of sorts) about the Bermuda Triangle a few nights ago. It was basically the same old stuff, but the documentary itself was fairly well done.

Then, two nights ago, the same documentary turned up on another channel, and I left it on since I was doing household chores and not paying much attention to the tv -- until the documentary came to the Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC) which belongs to the US Navy and which is located within the Bermuda Triangle geography.

I'd never heard of this facility, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't mentioned in the documentary as shown two evenings earlier. I got that queasy feeling that there had been a shift in the universe again especially since AUTEC is exactly the sort of facility UFO seekers would talk about (like Area 51).

The universe probably didn't shift, but still... :?:

My husband says he'd never heard of AUTEC, either.

Changes in code, again

Several years ago, I wrote a short PERL routine that produces a calendar for one month.

Three days ago, the routine simply stopped working. It produced a file, but the file had no content.

Digging through the code, I discovered that a variable named day_2c didn't contain the first day of the month. In fact, the presence of that variable made no sense whatsoever. I changed it to day_2, and the calendar was produced.

What's going on here? I've used this routine for years without a problem. I used it to produce a calendar for June, 2007. The only input is month and year. It's a dumb, simple-minded routine. And where did the variable day_2c come from?

On the same day, a co-worker came by to tell me that I wasn't entering a data field properly (in a different program). I thanked him, but later took a serious look at that data field and my notes. According to my notes, we never use that field. I checked with someone who no longer works here: he said we never use that field. I asked the co-worker who pointed out the problem and the supervisor: both say we've always used that data field. They wouldn't make a joke about that because messing up that particular entry would have far-reaching consequences, and the supervisor would get the blame.

Does the universe switch around in this manner? If so, is the instability more noticeable on the macro level or the micro (or nano) level? Have humans never really noticed before because there were never so many items to keep track of before?

Or should I stop drinking double lattes at 6 a.m.?

I had the Monty Python LPs in the 1970s, and at least one had two grooves at the start, giving two different first sketches on each side. Drove you mad, until you figured it out. :lol:

I've learned since that this was quite a common gimmick. Can't be done with CDs, MP3s and so on, of course!

escargot1 said:
I had the Monty Python LPs in the 1970s, and at least one had two grooves at the start, giving two different first sketches on each side. Drove you mad, until you figured it out. :lol:

I've learned since that this was quite a common gimmick. Can't be done with CDs, MP3s and so on, of course!

I had a 45 containing a song about being crazy about some boy, whose name changed at the end of every run through (four names total). Great fun. Wish I still had it. Although I don't know what I'd use to play it on.

Thinking about it: if you were playing a CD through your computer, couldn't the CD be encoded to leave a flag noting number of play throughs, then skip sections according to the number? Likewise, if you played an MP3 through your browser, I should think it could leave a cookie that did the same.

You total geek! :lol:

Escargot Jnr, the FTMB SLAC physicist, is heading your way next month. 8)

Back