• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
For me, it is far deeper, linked to what @brownmane and @merricat mention in terms of the feeling of the loss of freedom, creativity and control of one's own time.
I have largely worked for myself but have been employed for the odd 1 or 2 year stints too. I remember distinctly when employed of feeling like I was owned by my employer for the 8 hours or whatever a day.

On the other hand if you are self employed you can feel even more pressure from customers, trying to fulfill demand and it was at least nice, when employed, to be able to switch off from the job until Monday am again.

Now I work mainly from home it is different again. I still feel that Sunday evening feeling a little bit strangely, but maybe that is just habit after all the years. Also with everything to hand it is difficult to switch off completely and I do tend to find myself checking emails etc at all times of the day and weekends too. Still prefer it to the other work options I have done though:)

I have largely worked for myself but have been employed for the odd 1 or 2 year stints too. I remember distinctly when employed of feeling like I was owned by my employer for the 8 hours or whatever a day.
Definitely this. Especially if the employer doesn't respect or give credit to what you do. Being only cog in the wheel doesn't appeal to me. I could never do factory work. If I am working somewhere that I feel respected and appreciated I don't begrudge giving up my time.

But since the 80's, I have noticed more and more that employees are treated as dispensable. This unspoken threat doesn't make for wanting to go back to work after a couple of days off.

Sing Something Simple on Sunday evening at my grandparents’ would make my heart sink, but of course, I’d give worlds to be there again
The only reason for tolerating Sing Something Simple was that the frequency was then handed over to Radio One and I could listen to the Chart Show as a reward. Back in the day, anyway.

I thoroughly recommend taking early retirement. I did that about a decade ago and it was the best move I ever made. Fixes the Sunday blues completely. All that Sunday means to me now is that a lot of the shops will be shut.

The other cure was being employed by the Government. I spent about half my career as a Govt employee and the other half as a self employed contractor. Being on the Government payroll was a doddle. You'd turn up and spend half your your day chatting in the tearoom. It was a social club. Actually working was optional. I didn't mind going to work back then.

But working for yourself - ah, that was much harder. I did get the Sunday Scaries then.

I feel sorry for anyone who still has to actually - shudder - "work".

I'm in the Early Retirement Club too. Best move I ever made. I took their offer in half a heartbeat. Luckily, I could afford it. That was 7 years ago (how time flies!). Now my time is (mostly) my own. But oddly, I still experience faint echoes of the Sunday Scaries. Sunday evening always feels different. I suppose it comes from your subconscious mind telling you "don't feel too relaxed because tomorrow you are back in harness again". My conscious mind needs to start telling it to naff off.

I've just remembered something- when I was going through the scaries, I still had the same feeling even if it was a bank holiday the next day and I wasn't working. I blame songs of praise.
Yes, I remember that too. When it was a bank holiday the next day, the Scaries would still happen, but they would be tempered with a sweet surge of relief by the thought "no, you're ok for another 24 hours. Relax!"

Interesting thread. I used to get this, especially if I was getting up at au crack sparrow far to go to JAFA*. I'd struggle to sleep and from 4pm onwards would be cranky, as the week-end's over. I imagine for the 98% of us who are not in our dream job, it's par for the course.

*Just Another Fecking Airport

I thoroughly recommend taking early retirement. I did that about a decade ago and it was the best move I ever made. Fixes the Sunday blues completely. All that Sunday means to me now is that a lot of the shops will be shut.

The other cure was being employed by the Government. I spent about half my career as a Govt employee and the other half as a self employed contractor. Being on the Government payroll was a doddle. You'd turn up and spend half your your day chatting in the tearoom. It was a social club. Actually working was optional. I didn't mind going to work back then.

But working for yourself - ah, that was much harder. I did get the Sunday Scaries then.

I feel sorry for anyone who still has to actually - shudder - "work".
That might be your approach to working for the public but it’s not mine or most of my colleagues. I know people who were doing 16 hour days during the pandemic putting together proposals so workers didn’t lose their jobs permanently. I’m glad you stopped working in the public sector, it really doesn’t need attitudes like yours.

"The Sunday Scaries". I absolutely get this. It's when the shadow of my house would lay large on the backyard and I'd know deep in my heart that Monday was coming (back to school!), then I'd hear the mourning doves cooing.

To this day, I can't STAND hearing mourning doves because it takes me back to that emotional identity of the time.

Well, if you were working in the UK, as a private sector tax payer I'm inclined towards "...and the horse you rode in on." :curt:

Also with everything to hand it is difficult to switch off completely and I do tend to find myself checking emails etc at all times of the day and weekends too.
You Dork! Instead of your WORK EMAILS when you're NOT WORKING, check the THREADS on the FORTEANA FORUMS!
It'll make you feel better. :curt:

I’m glad you stopped working in the public sector, it really doesn’t need attitudes like yours.

No doubt many of us have strong feelings about all of the various shades of excrement that were airborne at the height of the pandemic, but I think it would be better if members did not make posts like this.

The point can be made without it being made personal.

Well, if you were working in the UK, as a private sector tax payer I'm inclined towards "...and the horse you rode in on." :curt:

Well, no, it wasn't in the UK, so none of your taxes went towards my salary. (which wasn't very high, this being one of the reasons I left.) And it was a while ago - late 80's, early 90's, so things may well have changed since then. I could also add that I was initially surprised and a bit disgusted at the poor work ethic of that particular department, which had gone down the gurgler long before I got there - but it's easy to be led astray by bad company, which is what happened.

I was simply trying to reflect on what factors might make a job easier to tolerate, and that particular example came to mind.

I put your suggestion to the horse I rode in on, and it replied "NAY!" so no luck there ! :cool: :cool::cool::cool:

Well, no, it wasn't in the UK, so none of your taxes went towards my salary. (which wasn't very high, this being one of the reasons I left.) And it was a while ago - late 80's, early 90's, so things may well have changed since then. I could also add that I was initially surprised and a bit disgusted at the poor work ethic of that particular department, which had gone down the gurgler long before I got there - but it's easy to be led astray by bad company, which is what happened.

I was simply trying to reflect on what factors might make a job easier to tolerate, and that particular example came to mind.

I put your suggestion to the horse I rode in on, and it replied "NAY!" so no luck there ! :cool: :cool::cool::cool:
And those of us who've experienced burnout can understand this.

I have had this happen at least twice in different jobs. I left.

The first one was when I'd just graduated college (the first time lol). Of course at that time, burnout was not known in general.

Yithian, did you change your avatar? Or am I hallucinating? Or both? :thought:

From Sir Stephen Hough's recently published memoir, Enough:

FpqqzE9XsAEevFW.jpeg.jpg

Review here:

Www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/19/enough-by-stephen-hough-review-a-note-perfect-pianists-memoir

I always thought Douglas Adams summed it up rather nicely:

"In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul."

Even though I am retired from work when twilight comes on Sunday night I get a sense of uneasiness of the unknown.

Strangely this uneasiness is not as bad on weekdays for me.

My wife does not seemed to be as as affected as she talks about her plans for meals in the coming week.

There was really no worse sound as a child than the theme tune of The Antiques Roadshow...
My generation had the treasured Top 20 on t'wireless followed by a cursory news headlines run-through and then Sing Something Simple.

You've never seen anyone jump up so fast to click a radio off as a 14 year-old pop music fan at 19:02, one second before Mum can walk in and say 'Leave that on! PROPER singing, that is.'

@JamesWhitehead knows ALL about this. :nods:

First time I heard the phrase 'Sunday Scaries' was in a Mr Ballen video, wherein he tries to flog medicated gummy sweets to help sufferers cope with it.

We have a thread on Sundays -

Is Sunday the dullest day of the week?

There's a poll an' everything, even a discussion of Sing Something Simple on the first page. :chuckle:

No doubt many of us have strong feelings about all of the various shades of excrement that were airborne at the height of the pandemic, but I think it would be better if members did not make posts like this.

The point can be made without it being made personal.

That’s not what the original post was about, nor was that the most salient point in my reply. I don’t mind mods expressing a view on my comments but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect them, in that case, to have read them with some attention.

The opposite (for me) and a great antidote to said theme tune were 'Lovejoy' and 'Time-team'. Brilliant.
I used to insist on lying on the couch to watch Time Team whilst the kids finished their homework ready for school in the morning. We'd had a roast dinner at about 5pm, so I'd be full of roasties, stretched out with the dogs watching Lovely Tony, and the theme tune still makes me feel relaxed and happy.

The mere words 'Sing Something Simple' on the other hand... brrrrrr.

Back