• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
You need decent fruit tea.

London tea and Herb company tastes like the fruit it claims to.

Yes, this is my experience. My friend got me on to mixtures of ordinary tea and fruit. Somehow you taste both. I'll ask her for current suggestions :)
Do you not find that the fruit teas smell nice but don’t taste of anything? Have tried a few over the years but just went back to black tea in the end after various nicely-scented hot waters.
This was the case years ago, but the standard has improved and all I have tried lately (Twinings, Sainsbury's own brand, Pukka, Clipper) have taste.

Do you not find that the fruit teas smell nice but don’t taste of anything? Have tried a few over the years but just went back to black tea in the end after various nicely-scented hot waters.
If you look at the ingredients of most fruit teas it is always rosehip and hibiscus, whatever it actually claims to be on the front. Then they stick in some "flavourings". So they smell nice but just taste of rosehip and hibiscus.

Here is a question for the UK-based Forteans: is Twinnings considered a good tea brand? I much prefer it to Liptons. I don't want to be a tea snob, but only a middle-of-the-road tea imbiber.

I think Earl Grey smells and tastes like cat piss. Meow!

Here is a question for the UK-based Forteans: is Twinnings considered a good tea brand? I much prefer it to Liptons. I don't want to be a tea snob, but only a middle-of-the-road tea imbiber.

Twinings, Williamsons and Ringtons are all reasonable quality normally. How very dare you malign the drink of the discerning. I have had some unpleasant examples of Earl Grey i grant you but great man, great tea. Needs milk though.

Twining's is the brand that makes you look posh.

it is slightly more cash but indifferent.

I generally get no name direct from China.

I will say I generally drink China rather than India which is what most traditional English tea is

I knew the first time I saw Picard command the replicator to make him a cup of Earl Grey, that I was going to like him. It has been too long since I've had anything but Lipton or Tetley black tea. We drink a lot of that in this house. I used to enjoy lots of different things like Morning Thunder and some other things from Celestial Seasonings. Also, a good strong cup of English Breakfast Tea (is that just a Murrican thing?) is a good coffee substitute. I think I liked Bigelow's version of that the best. I've apparently just got into the habit of grabbing whatever is in the front of the cupboard, which is either Lipton or Tetley depending on the price or, these days, what we can get. I'll have to do some digging and see what we have stashed back in there.

Last edited:
Didn't Sir Patrick Stewart say he didn't actually like Earl Grey and his preferred sustenance was Yorkshire tea (he's from Yorkshire, though technically the tea isn't)?

I took a look at prices at Amazon for different English Breakfast black teas. Twinnings is the cheapest of the reccs here, so I will continue with it. Although, I may also order some smoked teas and other weirdnesses. I am fighting against the impulse to get an elephant-shaped tea caddy. I have two glow-in-the-dark chickens as light nights in the kitchen, and I balance on that edge between too crass and not crass enough.

Morrisons Best Assam teabags £2.10 for a pack/100. Except there has been no stock for months - but there is plenty of Twinings Assam teabags £5.30 for a pack/80 - for goodness sake. Anyway, I don't have an elephant-shaped tea caddy, but I do have an elephant on my teabag caddy (Williamson Tea. Tea Farmers since 1869)

Elephant Tea_0682.jpg

Morrisons Best Assam teabags £2.10 for a pack/100. Except there has been no stock for months - but there is plenty of Twinings Assam teabags £5.30 for a pack/80 - for goodness sake. Anyway, I don't have an elephant-shaped tea caddy, but I do have an elephant on my teabag caddy (Williamson Tea. Tea Farmers since 1869)

View attachment 48640
A word of warning. Once you start on the elephant tea caddies it is hard to stop. Three or four were prised from my claw-like hands and taken to the charity shop recently, but I can’t bring myself to let go of them all. The Art Nouveau one is currently my favourite.

I knew the first time I saw Picard command the replicator to make him a cup of Earl Grey, that I was going to like him. It has been too long since I've had anything but Lipton or Tetley black tea. We drink a lot of that in this house. I used to enjoy lots of different things like Morning Thunder and some other things from Celestial Seasonings. Also, a good strong cup of English Breakfast Tea (is that just a Murrican thing?) is a good coffee substitute. I think I liked Bigelow's version of that the best. I've apparently just got into the habit of grabbing whatever is in the front of the cupboard, which is either Lipton or Tetley depending on the price or, these days, what we can get. I'll have to do some digging and see what we have stashed back in there.
See if your local supermarket carries Tetley British Blend. Old tea lost in the back of the cupboard is probably not going to be too good.

I've tried PG tips and didn't really like them that much. I usually drink Bigelow Earl Grey and Oolong. There's another one I love called Chin Chu oriental blend. And sometimes I get Red Rose so I can get the little Wade figurine.

You are all too funny! The tea caddy is similar to the one I was looking at, except mine was purple. And yes, the "pock" sound makes the tea taste better.

Twinings is regarded as one of the better regular brands, as in you can buy it at a local supermarket.

Their black teas are generally nice and worth paying more for than supermarket "own brands"

Their fruit teas/herb teas are well worth buying

but......

their Earl Grey is revolting. Somehow they got it wrong.

There are some very expensive teas available....take a trip to Harrods or Fortnum and Masons and you can enter a different price league.

Fortnum and Mason breakfast blend works out at just under £1 per tea bag.

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/breakfast-blend-pocket-tin-5-whole-leaf-silky-tea-bags

Whittards is well respected. Their Breakfast Tea is around 10p per bag.

https://www.whittard.co.uk/tea/how-...VCeR3Ch0iew_jEAQYASABEgLbSfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Twining Breakfast Tea is a fifth of the price at just over 20p per bag. (It's one of my preferred teas.)

https://twinings.co.uk/products/english-breakfast-100-tea-bags

Whilst Lidl Supermarket's own Tea is less than 1p per bag!

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/tea-coffee/knightsbridge-one-cup-red-label-tea/p39582

for a caffeine free alternative , I like this Honeybush Tea from a brand I think is very respectable, with interesting varieties, Dragonfly Tea.
Light and refreshing and a touch sweet, it does have laxative properties though.

https://dragonflytea.com/products/cape-rooibos-honeybush

Last edited:
This lot https://www.t2tea.com/en/uk/tea/tea-edits/tea-bags/ , though a tad expensive do some interesting tea's - the Irish Breakfast tea is pretty decent. Similar to Scottish Blend which is my regular - can't abide Yorkshire tea- though to be fair it might be better if made with water from Yorkshire.
Worst ever tea I ever tasted was made from tap water in Dover - it's full of chalk and revolting (to be honest most English tap water is pretty dire).
Soft water is needed for Tea.

I class Earl Grey (even more weirdness, Lady Grey) as belonging to those teas that contain fruit and vegetables. If I want fruit and vegetables I will buy salad or canned peaches. Typhoo or PG tips by preference. It's interesting that they chose Earl Grey as a tea that would seem to make Picard - what? patrician?

If my wife and I drink tea ( usually Lipton ), she puts lemon in her tea and can not understand why I dump milk in my tea.

It is because as a little boy with a sore throat, that is what my mother would feed me, and this is how I learned to drink tea.

I grew up on a mixed dairy/arable farm and drank a lot of milk (chilled, not pasteurised). It was a shock when I visited relatives in Germany when I was nine, they mainly drank black coffee or beer (there was a children's beer with lower alcohol content). My aunts did make the effort to find some tea for me but I didn't realise there were no Milkmen in Germany - the milk came from the shops as UHT or more usually evaporated. Nothing ruins tea (or coffee) quite like evaporated or condensed milk.

My wife enjoys a cup of tea in bed each morning with a couple of biscuits and, when I don’t have to travel into London, I join her.
The other morning she was waving a packet about and asked
”Gingernuts?”
”They were once” I replied “now they’re predominantly grey!”

Last edited:
@Lb8535

I really like Earl Grey tea....with a bit of cake.

But it has to be lightly brewed.

Works well with a thin slice of lemon in.

Definitely no milk.

It's a nice late afternoon pick me up.

I grew up on it.

In case you've wondered how many cups of tea one person can prepare in an hour, the newly-established Guinness record is 249.
Woman prepares 249 cups of tea in one hour for Guinness World Record

A South African woman broke a Guinness World Record when she prepared 249 cups of tea in one hour.

Ingar Valentyn of Wupperthal chose rooibos tea, a red herbal tea that comes from the leaves of South Africa's Aspalathus linearis shrub, and served her cups to a group of local students and residents. ...

Guinness World Records set the goal for the record at 150, and at the the end of her attempt Valentyn estimated she had made about 170 cups. The official count turned out to be 249 -- officials said she poured 250 cups, but one was not full enough to qualify for the record. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/1...d-Records-cups-of-tea-one-hour/5221666107868/

For More Details See:
South African woman makes 249 cups of tea in one hour to set record
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...-cups-of-tea-in-one-hour-to-set-record-722076

Back