• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yerba mate is the way forward.
I used to work with a Brazilian guy who drank that at work. He had an odd-looking silver cup with a silver straw.
First time I'd ever seen that. As you can guess, I made a joke about smoking bongs at work.

I used to work with a Brazilian guy who drank that at work. He had an odd-looking silver cup with a silver straw.
First time I'd ever seen that. As you can guess, I made a joke about smoking bongs at work.
Yup, you brew the leaves in the special mug and the straw has mesh to stop you sucking them up.

Or you can buy the stuff in teabags. :wink2:

I work with a guy from the Dominican Republic who drinks yerba mate in one of those. Then again, he is quite adventurous in what he consumes. He asked me once if I knew a restaurant that served cricket tacos.

Edit: When he asked, a couple of years ago, there were two or three cricket taco places in NYC. I just did a search and there are now at least eight.

Last edited:
Edit: When he asked, a couple of years ago, there were two or three cricket taco places in NYC. I just did a search and there are now at least eight.

With linseed oil dressing?

We know a British lady who married a G.I. during WW II and their last deployment was our area in the 1960s.

She drinks P G tips tea with milk, and has scones or British shortbread and does it right with a fancy tea cozy.

Her stories about surviving in London as a girl during the German blitz are “ hair raising “.

With linseed oil dressing?
Snails like the linseed in putty. After fitting a window with putty you have to paint it right away or the snails will eat it and the glass will fall out.

Unilever is selling its tea division, including Lipton** (obtained in the 1930s) and PG Tips (1980s) due to declining tea sales. According to the Daily Telegraph consumers are increasingly opting for coffee and kombucha (had to look that up). The Finance boss of the tea business, Graeme Pitkethly, previously said that those who "drink five or six cups of builder's tea a day ... were unfortunately dying at a faster rate than Generation Z and millennials are consuming it. "

** When I was in Strasbourg 30 years ago, Thomas Lipton was regarded by the French as the most well-known historical person in Britain.

Unilever is selling its tea division, including Lipton** (obtained in the 1930s) and PG Tips (1980s) due to declining tea sales. According to the Daily Telegraph consumers are increasingly opting for coffee and kombucha (had to look that up). The Finance boss of the tea business, Graeme Pitkethly, previously said that those who "drink five or six cups of builder's tea a day ... were unfortunately dying at a faster rate than Generation Z and millennials are consuming it. "

** When I was in Strasbourg 30 years ago, Thomas Lipton was regarded by the French as the most well-known historical person in Britain.
That's interesting. I suspect there is more to it. I would guess tea sales are not in decline but plain-old-tea sales are. In the US, there are SO MANY small companies that sell loose leaf tea and specialty sachets. I suspect they are losing out to other companies like Tazo or Republic of Tea that have a more select array of products - matcha, herbals, organic, etc. People who buy those brands don't buy Lipton.

Sure, people drink that gross kombucha but it's not comparable to a hot cup on a cold night.

This makes me a little nervous. PG tips is the best decaf teabag I've found. Did say who was buying?

"European buyout group CVC Capital Partners is said to be confident of reselling the tea busines at a profit once it has improved its environmental, social and governance credentials". Whatever that entails.
You're quite right Sharon : the new tea-drinking generation "might drink tea but they want to drink quite high-end, expensive products."

"European buyout group CVC Capital Partners is said to be confident of reselling the tea busines at a profit once it has improved its environmental, social and governance credentials". Whatever that entails.
Roughly translated as 'destroying all possibility of profitability'.

You're quite right Sharon : the new tea-drinking generation "might drink tea but they want to drink quite high-end, expensive products."
I tried PG Tips - it's sold on the bottom shelf in the supermarket. It's OK. Also on the bottom shelf for everyday teabags is Tetley British Blend - superior in every way. (I don't drink decaf though, only white or green after 8PM.) Of note, Harney's is running low on supplies to these "high end" shops. It's quite fashionable.

I tried PG Tips - it's sold on the bottom shelf in the supermarket. It's OK. Also on the bottom shelf for everyday teabags is Tetley British Blend - superior in every way. (I don't drink decaf though, only white or green after 8PM.) Of note, Harney's is running low on supplies to these "high end" shops. It's quite fashionable.
I'm open to any other decaf suggestion. As I aged I found that after 4 pm it needs to be decaf. Non-decaf I chug strong Typhoo but their decaf doesn't taste like anything.

I guess around our area we are uncivilized.

There is no hot tea in a restaurant, but tea made from reconstituted powder.

The reconstituted tea is put in a glass of ice and you are served “ iced tea “.

But most people in restaurants usually order anything but tea.

As stated, maybe that is why the tea market is depressed.

Does anyone still do the low and high tea ritual ?

Last edited:
I'm open to any other decaf suggestion. As I aged I found that after 4 pm it needs to be decaf. Non-decaf I chug strong Typhoo but their decaf doesn't taste like anything.
Have you tried redbush (aka rooibos) tea? Quite robustly flavoured, refreshing, and caffeine-free. It's my go-to hot beverage once the hour is post meridiem.

I've noticed for the last few years that of the folk I work beside pretty much no one under the age of about 35 drinks Tea or Coffee at all, it's either Monster energy drinks. Irn Bru or some variant of Coke (usually one of the really horrible ones with no sugar, cola, caffeine etc in it).

I've noticed for the last few years that of the folk I work beside pretty much no one under the age of about 35 drinks Tea or Coffee at all, it's either Monster energy drinks. Irn Bru or some variant of Coke (usually one of the really horrible ones with no sugar, cola, caffeine etc in it).
I must be under 35, because that's what I drink (but I turn 60 tomorrow).

Have you tried redbush (aka rooibos) tea? Quite robustly flavoured, refreshing, and caffeine-free. It's my go-to hot beverage once the hour is post meridiem.

I am very liking Rooibus. Tried it the first time on a flight to Cape Town, then throughout my stay there.

Rooibus with a slice of lemon is very refreshing and piquant says I (steaming cup of tea emoji)

Thanks I have and I'm not a non-black tea lover. (ie - no vegetables or fruit in my teacup)

Last edited:
My wife got into fruit teas several years ago so she doesn't drink “normal” tea except for the occasional black tea with a slice of lemon.
I love black tea but have got into a lot of herbal teas, especially the sleepy bedtime teas.
I discovered twinnings dark brew range recently and have a box of each in the kitchen and at work. I do enjoy the odd rooibos, oolong, and a few others and am always willing to try new blends or teas.

I only buy fruit/herbal tea these days. They can be expensive at supermarket. I go to the local EE/Polish mini market. The Poles must love fruit tea, there's an amazing range . I counted at least 40 unusual types of tea last time I went and bought

Cherry

Blueberry

Raspberry

Lavender and vanilla bedtime tea.

Plus some unpronounceable herbal one that a little bitter.

Funky TT, you are right, Polski stores are great for fruit teas; great variety, good quality, and cheap.

London tea and Herb company also good...but not so cheap or convenient.

Rooboos is also nice.

I generally drink China tea; oolong, puuer and gunpowder.

I keep meaning to try Rooboos.

What on earth is Gunpowder tea ?

I have a friend with teas and tisanes as a special interest. I've really got into them! currently drinking a variety of blackcurrant ones. Also kitchen tea (supermarket) and white tea and jasmine. We are trying to find a good date to try a new black tea!

I have a friend with teas and tisanes as a special interest. I've really got into them! currently drinking a variety of blackcurrant ones. Also kitchen tea (supermarket) and white tea and jasmine. We are trying to find a good date to try a new black tea!
Do you not find that the fruit teas smell nice but don’t taste of anything? Have tried a few over the years but just went back to black tea in the end after various nicely-scented hot waters.

Do you not find that the fruit teas smell nice but don’t taste of anything? Have tried a few over the years but just went back to black tea in the end after various nicely-scented hot waters.

Yes, this is my experience. My friend got me on to mixtures of ordinary tea and fruit. Somehow you taste both. I'll ask her for current suggestions :)

Back