• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Linda Hamilton hasn't been made to look younger...

View attachment 12008

I found this:

"As in Terminator: Genisys, Terminator 6 will see Arnold Schwarzenegger return as an ageing T-800; he won’t, thankfully, be playing the soft and cuddly “Pops" character we saw in that movie, though.

According to Cameron himself, all the movies that followed Terminator 2 will be written off as “a bad dream", or events in an alternate timeline."

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...t-actors-linda-hamilton-arnold-schwarzenegger

Let's stick with 'alternate timeline' yeah James? No need to go all Bobby Ewing on us.

There was a scene that doubled as a bad dream AND an alternate timeline in Terminator 2. I wonder if this means the world in this one hasn't suffered Armageddon, as in the end of Terminator 3? In which case... what on Earth is it about?

Let me just clarify - I'm not being ageist. I don't think older people should be made to look younger just because...I meant if they are trying to slot the film into a timeline then for continuity it would make sense to make them look more like the preceeding film.

Let's stick with 'alternate timeline' yeah James? No need to go all Bobby Ewing on us.

Yep - alternate timelines are OK by me. Waking up to find that it's all a dream is little much.

That, surely, is the joy of a series like Terminator - alternative timelines are their entire raison d'etre. If the characters didn't believe that the past and the future could be re-written, none of the action would have happened!

And if you believe in parallel worlds (either as an actual possibility or just as a fictional device), then all of the Terminator films are equally valid, and all the various versions of the events can have happened. And sorry, but yes, that includes Genysis...

That, surely, is the joy of a series like Terminator - alternative timelines are their entire raison d'etre. If the characters didn't believe that the past and the future could be re-written, none of the action would have happened!

And if you believe in parallel worlds (either as an actual possibility or just as a fictional device), then all of the Terminator films are equally valid, and all the various versions of the events can have happened. And sorry, but yes, that includes Genysis...
Exactly.

New Terminator trailer - Terminator: Nerd Rage:

The baddie seems... miscast, shall we say. I suppose these films are still making money, but what else is there to do with the story?

The baddie seems... miscast, shall we say. I suppose these films are still making money, but what else is there to do with the story?

I'll watch that.

I was delighted to hear it's a direct sequel to T2, because I haven't seen any instalments after that!

It is a sequel to T2, which also makes those of us who saw the ones in between feel like we were wasting our time. Even more than we did after watching the non-canon sequels, that is.

It is a sequel to T2, which also makes those of us who saw the ones in between feel like we were wasting our time. Even more than we did after watching the non-canon sequels, that is.
Not at all! I refer you to my post #123 above. The series is predicated on changing the past to affect the future, so choose whichever "reality" you like.

He looks like your average millennial, what could be more terrifying than that?

Last edited:

Looks okay. I'm happy it's a direct sequel to T2.

Not at all! I refer you to my post #123 above. The series is predicated on changing the past to affect the future, so choose whichever "reality" you like.

Nothing to do with sequels writing themselves into a corner that only a reboot will fix, then.

I doubt it will be much good, I dare say it will be better than the previous two, possibly three, but that's a remarkably low bar. I've seen T3 and it was relentlessly bland and pointless, by all accounts the others are worse and I'm not even morbidly curious about them. T2 was a happy accident, it should have ended there. This was never "meant" to be a franchise but then how many films are?

Terminator: Dark Fate: Sarah Connor wakes up, sees a T-800 (Arnold Schwarzenegger) in the shower and realises that everything since T2 has been a dream. Well, not exactly, Arnie appears on a beach in Mexico 1998 and kills John Connors, a T-800 from a future that never happened, following orders for years, tracking John. Sarah may have stopped the 1997 apocalypse but the altered timeline has resulted in a later AI takeover and it's name is Legion. Mexico City 2020, Dani Ramos (Natalia Reyes) comes under attack from a new type of Terminator, a Rev-9 (Gabriel Lona) which can shape-shift and split in two. Grace (MacKenzie Davis) an augmented human (Bionic Woman) sent from the future rescues Dani and a chase ensues. When all seems lost Sarah appears, temporarily disables the Rev-9 and all three set off on a quest to secure EMP weapons which will destroy the Rev-9.

Some truly great car chases here, better even than those in T2, especially the scoop-truck (driven by the Rev-9) battering it's way along a freeway, the shock as the Rev-9 shows that it can separate it's skeleton from the mimetic polyalloy (it's really an advanced T-1000). Some really disturbing scenes of human dismemberment tilt Dark Fate into Horror territory. Grace provides flashbacks (or rather flashforwards) of the new 2042, it's much like Skynet one except that the Resistance have more advanced machines and weapons, the terminators have tentacles. Grace was a child when Legion took control and later became a soldier, volunteering for augmentation and Time Travel. A dark present is portrayed as well, Dani's brother loses his job in a car plant due to the introduction of robots. Even jobs outsourced to Mexico are ephemeral.

Sarah is totally paranoid and necessarily so as she hunts Terminators, getting information through texts from an unknown supporter. But the death of John has left her somewhat crazed as Dani is the new target she becomes a surrogate for John. But Sarah also sardonically welcomes this turn which mean's she's no longer the "Mother Mary". She competes with Grace for the position of Dani's bodyguard. This isn't just an action movie, we have Arnie as a T-800 who has turned and developed feelings for his adopted human family. But the fight scenes are central, be it Grace head to head with the Rev-9 or Sarah blasting away at it. Dani is also able to become a fighter after some early scenes where she came across as a hysterical ingenue. Some cutting humour infuses Dark Fate, deadpan from Arnie with sarcasm from Hamilton. A satisfying edge of the seat adventure with some interesting twists, ably directed by Tim Miller with James Cameron chipping in on the story as well as producing the film. 9/10.

Terminator: Dark Fate: Sarah Connor wakes up, sees a T-800 (Arnold Schwarzenegger) in the shower and realises that everything since T2 has been a dream. Well, not exactly, Arnie appears on a beach in Mexico 1998 and kills John Connors, a T-800 from a future that never happened, following orders for years, tracking John. Sarah may have stopped the 1997 apocalypse but the altered timeline has resulted in a later AI takeover and it's name is Legion. Mexico City 2020, Dani Ramos (Natalia Reyes) comes under attack from a new type of Terminator, a Rev-9 (Gabriel Lona) which can shape-shift and split in two. Grace (MacKenzie Davis) an augmented human (Bionic Woman) sent from the future rescues Dani and a chase ensues. When all seems lost Sarah appears, temporarily disables the Rev-9 and all three set off on a quest to secure EMP weapons which will destroy the Rev-9.

Some truly great car chases here, better even than those in T2, especially the scoop-truck (driven by the Rev-9) battering it's way along a freeway, the shock as the Rev-9 shows that it can separate it's skeleton from the mimetic polyalloy (it's really an advanced T-1000). Some really disturbing scenes of human dismemberment tilt Dark Fate into Horror territory. Grace provides flashbacks (or rather flashforwards) of the new 2042, it's much like Skynet one except that the Resistance have more advanced machines and weapons, the terminators have tentacles. Grace was a child when Legion took control and later became a soldier, volunteering for augmentation and Time Travel. A dark present is portrayed as well, Dani's brother loses his job in a car plant due to the introduction of robots. Even jobs outsourced to Mexico are ephemeral.

Sarah is totally paranoid and necessarily so as she hunts Terminators, getting information through texts from an unknown supporter. But the death of John has left her somewhat crazed as Dani is the new target she becomes a surrogate for John. But Sarah also sardonically welcomes this turn which mean's she's no longer the "Mother Mary". She competes with Grace for the position of Dani's bodyguard. This isn't just an action movie, we have Arnie as a T-800 who has turned and developed feelings for his adopted human family. But the fight scenes are central, be it Grace head to head with the Rev-9 or Sarah blasting away at it. Dani is also able to become a fighter after some early scenes where she came across as a hysterical ingenue. Some cutting humour infuses Dark Fate, deadpan from Arnie with sarcasm from Hamilton. A satisfying edge of the seat adventure with some interesting twists, ably directed by Tim Miller with James Cameron chipping in on the story as well as producing the film. 9/10.

Spoilers have you heard of them.:mad: Don't do this again please.

Spoilers have you heard of them.:mad: Don't do this again please.

Not spoilers. More is given away in the trailer than I have written above. Most of the action I describe is in the opening 15 minutes and I'm even coy about that.

Looks okay. I'm happy it's a direct sequel to T2.
Wow! It was a year ago I posted this. Well, I've just seen the film. It felt more like a natural progression from The Terminator and Terminator 2 than had any film in the franchise that I've seen since those two. That's not because it simply continued the story, because, obviously, every film since has attempted that. It was because it gave me what I wanted as a fan of the franchise. It was set in our current time. The setup was, from the beginning, unexpected, and created a different threat. The new terminator was an interesting and threatening iteration of what we'd seen before; it felt indestructible, in some ways what the T-X from the third film should have been. And it gave us real characters, with their own stakes, and not just people there to play a role in what had been set up in the previous films.

This movie wasn't as good as The Terminator or Terminator 2, but it was a satisfying continuation of the stories of those classics, which isn't something I can say for any of the previous sequels. The action scenes were unnecessarily over-the-top, and I felt distracted from a plot and villian that were perfectly capable of carrying the required sense of threat. Everyone doesn't need to be competing with Michael Bay! But, dammit, I felt more as though I'd just watched a terminator movie than I had after any of the other sequels.

it was nowhere near that good - 7 out of 10 max?

DF seems to have been the final nail in the coffin for the Terminator franchise after a ridiculous three major flops in a row from the same series. It was OK, but all that was needed to be said was in the first two. Really, it just sat there and exploded a few times, there was no reason for it other than the studio wrongly believing they could flog a dead horse and finding for the third time they were wasting their time.

it was nowhere near that good - 7 out of 10 max?
I think I'd agree with that. It doesn't have the courage of its convictions: it sets off in an interesting direction heralded by Linda Hamilton's first appearance all-guns-blazing, but can't maintain the gender-switch. And Arnie's last two words are cheesy beyond belief. There's possibly an interesting movie in there trying to emerge, but it couldn't quite pull itself away from the rigid skeleton which insisted that the bloke should save the day after all.

I've only seen the first three, like the first, love the second and the third was ok if overall dull and pointless. I'm dumbfounded that this has gotten six films and a TV series, wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of net series after the last two flops. It's a simple idea and Cameron, against the odds, got a good sequel out of it but it should have been terminated (HURR) there.

It's an in-universe plot device even. T:SCC made a point to show that not all of the people who went back in time from the future came from the SAME future. You have this one episode where a guy meets a woman who's his dead wife/lover in the future he came from, but in HER future he was driven insane when he was tortured by the Terminators.

The Q Continuum aren't subject to the same time/space strictures as other races, so as you say it could be timey-wimey stuff, which we all know can be great when handled correctly but can also bugger up an entire narrative if not (witness The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which effectively painted itself into a corner that no amount of paradox-wrangling could resolve).
Hmm... what corner? You mean creating an alt-timeline with no John Conner, since he jumped to the future?

I figured he was just gonna go back....

Hmm... what corner? You mean creating an alt-timeline with no John Conner, since he jumped to the future?

I figured he was just gonna go back....
In fairness to me, I haven't seen it in over thirteen years, but at the time I said this...
If you have to watch a cliff-hanger more then once in order to actually make some sense of it then you lose 90% of the impact, and I can't help thinking that had Season 3 been commissioned there were only two ways in which it could have gone - a trite, rushed, contrived resolution to said cliff-hanger, or an even more convoluted and confusing season-long storyline involving temporal paradoxes and to-ing and fro-ing which would have disappeared up its own fundament, as these things always do.... I really wish that producers and writers of big-budget, US sci-fi series would learn that you can introduce complicated concepts and paradoxes so long as you have a strong, unifying narrative to which they can be related. Once you lose sight of the central theme you've had it.

In fairness to me, I haven't seen it in over thirteen years, but at the time I said this...
Well, yes, but how many time travel paradoxes had SCC already created? The Terminator series is a big time war. More time travel feels inevitable.

As someone who bought a DVD box set just to re-watch it.... they'd spent a LOT of time taking about the future Resistance. My expectation was that this was just gonna be an excuse to have John meet the future Resistance.

It's an alt-timeline version, but this is the first time Kyle Reese has been seen since the ORIGINAL Terminator. Derek Reese had been talking to John about Kyle in several eps, then Derek dies in the fight with the Water Delivery Guy, so now John jumps forward and meets a younger version of Derek, but also Kyle.

But for the real MAIN plot.... what was Weaver up to? Weaver is apparently the same Terminator who killed Goodnow(which only happened because a member of the Resistance went rogue and sabotaged the mission). The Terminator who shifted to eel form and abandoned ship as the Jimmy Carter sank into the abyssal deep. Why did Future-John want Weaver to join his team? Why did Weaver jump to the future at all?

hmm... sooo many questions...... :D It's obvious they had a story planned, they'd set up a lot of dominoes in season 2.

Back