• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, a short way into watching Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace, a fun bit of black and white hokum, and I may just have to revise my top four. Christopher Lee is a simply excellent Holmes, but then, what else but excellence was ever to be expected of Mr Lee? :)

Thorley Walters' Watson is, unfortunately, in the buffoon mould, but you can't have everything, I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm off to see the play 'Sherlock Holmes and the Valley of Fear' at the SJT in Scarborough, middle of next month. I shall report back. Interestingly enough, I'm actually going with a Dr Watson...

I'm off to see the play 'Sherlock Holmes and the Valley of Fear' at the SJT in Scarborough, middle of next month. I shall report back. Interestingly enough, I'm actually going with a Dr Watson...
If your surname is Hudson it'd complete the circle.

D'you know if there are any tickets left? I'm up for that!
If that was addressed to me @Floyd, I've no idea. The aforementioned Dr Watson has purchased the tickets. It was elementary, apparently.

Dash it all! Just checked and the performances are on the weekend that we're running the Filey Steampunk weekend!
Might be able to score a couple of tickets for the Thursday.

Apologies if this has been shared here or elsewhere, but on searching for versions of "She moved through the fair" I came across this.
Okay, only tangentially related to Holmes I grant, but it is a future Sherlock singing quite beautifully about a ghost bride...

If that was addressed to me @Floyd, I've no idea. The aforementioned Dr Watson has purchased the tickets. It was elementary, apparently.
Why have I been dragged into this conversation?

While I'm here though, Basil Rathbone was actually a very brave chap who used to go on missions across no man's land in the daytime.
Also Nigel Bruce had been machine-gunned across his legs so he couldn't stand for very long.

Late review, I know, but we went and saw "The Valley of Fear". It was very well done, even 'in the round'. They'd managed to put a little humour - not heavy-handed - in but managed to use a minimal set, good lighting and clever costume change to great effect. Every actor had at least two parts and swift costume change along with excellent acting made it work.

Late review, I know, but we went and saw "The Valley of Fear". It was very well done, even 'in the round'. They'd managed to put a little humour - not heavy-handed - in but managed to use a minimal set, good lighting and clever costume change to great effect. Every actor had at least two parts and swift costume change along with excellent acting made it work.
Was that by The Blackeyed Theatre group?
Went to see that back in January - extremely good.

Old news.
He's always been known to resent his publishers wanting more 'crowd pleasers'.
I've not read them but from historians who have, his historical novels (such as The White Company) are well-researched and realistic but a tad on the dry side.
On the other hand, Lost World and The Mystery of Cloomber are a hoot!

BBC2 (102) at 2100hrs today: Thinking man’s crumpet Lucy Worsley investigates Holmes and his creator:

“Sherlock Holmes is the most famous detective in the world, featuring in more than 60 original stories and countless adaptations. For more than a century he’s intrigued and excited his fans with his intellect and powers of deduction. He made his author, Arthur Conan Doyle, rich and famous. But the writer came to hate his fictional character.

Over the course of three episodes, historian and lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan Lucy Worsley investigates this curious relationship between Holmes and Doyle, detective and author.

In the first episode, Lucy discovers Sherlock’s origins in Arthur’s early life as a medical student. She unpicks the early stories, revealing the dark underbelly of late Victorian Britain, from drug use to true crime, and traces Doyle’s growing disenchantment with his detective, heading to Switzerland to visit the site of one of the most famous deaths in literature.”

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/proginfo/2023/50/killing-sherlock

maximus otter

As Stormkhan wrote, virtually all this is old news to Holmes admirers and probably to many people with an interest in the era. Why is it that tv companies, whenever they make even a vaguely Fortean programme, design it to appeal to viewers apparently so clueless that they always require a spoon-fed potted history of the subject? Do these creators believe people are really so incurious and uninformed? It's an irritating and boring feature.

Last edited:
Thinking man's crumpet? Has Lucy taken over from Carole V?
Perhaps they should fight for the title.

In bikinis. Televised.

I'd watch!!!!

PS Worsley for the win! When she is angry she is keen and shrewd - she was a vixen when she went to school, and though she be but little, she is fierce!

Vorderman is getting on a bit, so not as lean or lithe to carry forward and attack. She does, however, have the experience of media attention and the title to fight for.

Do these creators believe people are really so incurious and uninformed? It's an irritating and boring feature.
In my lengthy experience of dealing with the general public, they are uninformed, especially on Fortean subjects.
Hence when reporting on mainstream TV of UFO-related news, they always use X-Files style intro music. The viewers need signposts.

Back