• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Oh, you're in for a treat.

Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 12.19.33.pngScreenshot 2020-10-03 at 12.20.40.pngScreenshot 2020-10-03 at 12.21.20.pngScreenshot 2020-10-03 at 12.22.00.png

Link to this masterwork:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Sherlock-Holmes-Regendered-ebook/dp/B01HDWXSEW/

Breaking news: Russia has produced a new TV serial called SHERLOCK IN RUSSIA. This has Homes chasing none other than Jack the Ripper through the streets of St Petersburg where the latter has fled.

It is a lavish undertaking with an all star cast - one of them being Irina Starshenbaum , who you will know if you have seen the Russian science fiction blockbusters ATTRACTION or its sequel INVASION.

sherlock1.jpg

And here is the First episode with English subtitles (I spoil you, I do):

Last edited:
Breaking news: Russia has produced a new TV serial called SHERLOCK IN RUSSIA. This has Homes chasing none other than Jack the Ripper through the streets of St Petersburg where the latter has fled.

It is a lavish proudtion with an all star cast - one of them being Irina Starshenbaum , who you will know if you have seen the Russian science fiction blockbusters ATTRACTION or its sequel INVASION.

View attachment 30939

Holmes would not be seen dead carrying a Nagant.

maximus otter

It is a lavish undertaking with an all star cast - one of them being Irina Starshenbaum , who you will know if you have seen the Russian science fiction blockbusters ATTRACTION or its sequel INVASION.

View attachment 30939

Has high production values. A good start.

I've always adored SH as a kid I had an amazing copy of all of the stories as they appeared in punch magazine unfortunately the book was lost I think during house moves as I left for uni. However my wife who is the most amazing person in the world (of course) brought me another copy last Christmas to say I was happy as a pig in muck is an understatement.

Last edited:
Question - can any of us who is a Sherlock Holmes addict personally recommend any of the annotated versions?

Question - can any of us who is a Sherlock Holmes addict personally recommend any of the annotated versions?
I enjoyed reading the Leslie Klinger annotated three volume series when I was at uni. Full of such details as "Holmes could not possibly have arrived back at Baker Street at that time as according to the train timetable for the year in question the last train from Cambridge left at 7.30pm!". Subsequently got his versions of the annotated Dracula and Lovecraft.

Holmes & Watson: Not a good film but it does have some saving graces. Such as Millicent who was raised by feral cats and Holmes's passion for her not to mention Watson's lust for Doctor Hart and their joint autopsy of Moriarty's cake victim. Also Holmes song and dance number with Millicent. Kelly Macdonald is great as a nymphomaniac Mrs Hudson. Mostly Misdirected and Miswritten by Etan Cohen. On Netflix. 4/10

Never got on with that guy. I much prefer Professor Challenger.

A little more hot-headed, Challenger!

I always enjoyed his first meeting with Malone (who is visiting him under false pretences):

"But what does that prove?" he asked, in a gentle, persuasive voice.
"Ah, what indeed?" I murmured. "What does it prove?"
"Shall I tell you?" he cooed.
"Pray do."
"It proves," he roared, with a sudden blast of fury, "that you are the damnedest imposter in London—a vile, crawling journalist, who has no more science than he has decency in his composition!"
He had sprung to his feet with a mad rage in his eyes. Even at that moment of tension I found time for amazement at the discovery that he was quite a short man, his head not higher than my shoulder—a stunted Hercules whose tremendous vitality had all run to depth, breadth, and brain.
"Gibberish!" he cried, leaning forward, with his fingers on the table and his face projecting. "That's what I have been talking to you, sir—scientific gibberish! Did you think you could match cunning with me—you with your walnut of a brain? You think you are omnipotent, you infernal scribblers, don't you? That your praise can make a man and your blame can break him? We must all bow to you, and try to get a favorable word, must we? This man shall have a leg up, and this man shall have a dressing down! Creeping vermin, I know you! You've got out of your station. Time was when your ears were clipped. You've lost your sense of proportion. Swollen gas-bags! I'll keep you in your proper place. Yes, sir, you haven't got over G. E. C. There's one man who is still your master. He warned you off, but if you WILL come, by the Lord you do it at your own risk. Forfeit, my good Mr. Malone, I claim forfeit! You have played a rather dangerous game, and it strikes me that you have lost it."
"Look here, sir," said I, backing to the door and opening it; "you can be as abusive as you like. But there is a limit. You shall not assault me."
"Shall I not?" He was slowly advancing in a peculiarly menacing way...
Excellent Book In Full:​

Holmes & Watson: Not a good film but it does have some saving graces. Such as Millicent who was raised by feral cats and Holmes's passion for her not to mention Watson's lust for Doctor Hart and their joint autopsy of Moriarty's cake victim. Also Holmes song and dance number with Millicent. Kelly Macdonald is great as a nymphomaniac Mrs Hudson. Mostly Misdirected and Miswritten by Etan Cohen. On Netflix. 4/10

Must admit, I'm no Ferrell apologist and was expecting this to be terrible after the reviews and general reaction it got, but I really laughed at it! It was so stupid, so determined to be anti-intellectual as the opposite of the Holmes character, that it became very funny.

But I'm surprised you saw it on Netflix, at the time it was released they made a big deal of not buying it because of the awful reception. Guess Lockdown has made the streamers desperate for content.

You think you are omnipotent, you infernal scribblers, don't you? That your praise can make a man and your blame can break him? We must all bow to you, and try to get a favorable word, must we? This man shall have a leg up, and this man shall have a dressing down! Creeping vermin, I know you! You've got out of your station. Time was when your ears were clipped. You've lost your sense of proportion. Swollen gas-bags!

That quote should be on the wall of every journalist’s office everywhere.

maximus otter

Yes, that was a marvellous scene, wasn't it?

And for the Record, the good Professor does give him a sound drubbing...

An early Christmas treat: Cushing reads Holmes.

Click to skip to story of your choice.
00:00:00 The Empty House 00:54:34 The Norwood Builder 01:52:49 The Dancing Men 02:57:13 The Solitary Cyclist 03:48:46 The Priory School

This, by the way, is a brilliant channel. Their archive is stacked high with classic audiobooks from the best readers.

You Tube is full of the Ronald Howard series of Holmes. Not the best portrayal but better than many.
Also present is Geoffrey Whitehead' series (a few), Cushing's TV series, and the rarity Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace with Christopher Lee.

I notice the response letter was written in 1909. The German writer would have been better(?) served years later.

This 2016 Mental Floss article describes how fan mail and serious inquiries from people oblivious to Holmes' fictional status were handled from the 1930s up until now. The Sherlock Holmes Museum now receives and attempts to handle the incoming letters.
Who Answers Sherlock Holmes's Fan Mail?

Podcaster and YouTube user Simon Whistler has cracked the case of Sherlock Holmes’s fan mail. In a recent episode of the web series Today I Found Out, Whistler explains how a bank ended up receiving, and responding to, fan mail addressed to Arthur Conan Doyle’s famous fictional detective for nearly six decades.

According to Whistler, the Abbey National Bank began receiving fan mail for Holmes in the 1930s. The detective’s residence at 221B Baker Street didn’t exist when Doyle was writing his mysteries in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. However, by the 1930s, London’s street numbers had changed, and Abbey National’s headquarters were now located at the detective’s address.

Rather than simply throw away mail addressed to a fictional character, the bank decided to hire someone to answer Holmes’s mail—as his secretary. Until Abbey National moved its headquarters in the 2000s, the bank continuously employed a series of secretaries to respond to fans, letting them know that Holmes had retired to the countryside to raise bees, or even replying occasionally as Holmes himself, using quotes from Doyle’s books.

''Mr. Holmes has been asked to help with Watergate and Irangate, to solve the murder of Olaf Palme, the Swedish Prime Minister, and find lost homework to prove to the teacher that the student really did it,” Holmes’s secretary Nikki Caparn told The New York Times in 1989. ...

Nowadays, the Sherlock Holmes Museum, located on Baker Street a few doors down from 221, responds to Holmes’s mail. ...

SOURCE: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/76722/who-answers-sherlock-holmess-fan-mail

I notice the response letter was written in 1909. The German writer would have been better(?) served years later.

This 2016 Mental Floss article describes how fan mail and serious inquiries from people oblivious to Holmes' fictional status were handled from the 1930s up until now. The Sherlock Holmes Museum now receives and attempts to handle the incoming letters.

SOURCE: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/76722/who-answers-sherlock-holmess-fan-mail
My wonderful friend, who is Dutch, didn't realise that Sherlock Holmes was fictional and we had a number of rather confusing conversations until the penny dropped.

I think most reasons assumed for Conan Doyle to resume Holmes was pressure from his publisher. Doyle was more into his historical romances, such as The White Company, but the publishers found them good but too dry for popular taste.

They knew Holmes but not his address? It’s not as if it’s a secret in the books...

221B Baker Street didn't exist at the time Doyle wrote the stories. The 1909 letter would have ended up in the Post Office's dead letter bin if not for the famous addressee's name.

Transplanted from the thread about iconic witches' garb and accoutrements:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...d-hat-stereotypes-origins.13723/#post-2048709
=============

Sherlock Holmes did not wear a deerstalker or smoke a curved pipe in the original stories.
There is one Sidney Paget illustration of Holmes wearing a deerstalker, I think from the Baskerville story.
Did Conan Doyle write his character as wearing one, or was it artistic license?

The curved pipe seems to be Basil Rathbone's own invention, or rather someone in the props department at Twentieth Century Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one Sidney Paget illustration of Holmes wearing a deerstalker, I think from the Baskerville story.
Did Conan Doyle write his character as wearing one, or was it artistic license?
The curved pipe seems to be Basil Rathbone's own invention, or rather someone in the props department at Twentieth Century Fox.

Neither of these iconic Holmes accessory styles was specifically identified by Conan Doyle, and both originated prior to Basil Rathbone's portrayal of Holmes.

With regard to performance it was actor William Gillette who first employed the curved 'calabash' style pipe and wore a deerstalker hat when portraying Holmes on stage around 1899. Gillette was also the first actor to portray Holmes in a film (a silent film from 1916; long-lost but re-discovered a few years ago).

The deerstalker hat traces back to Paget's early 1890s illustrations in The Strand. Gillette is credited with adding the large curved pipe to Holmes iconography.

Back