• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Three Knocks

When I was younger and the single parent of many children, I was often woken by the sound of someone calling 'Mum! Mum!' On investigation, it would be apparent that all the children were deeply asleep.

Stress seemed to cause me to wake to a sound I was familiar with. Are you stressed at all? (stupid question really, everybody is stressed, I only ask because, since the children grew up and left home, I now wake suddenly to the sound of the dog whining as though injured, whilst, in reality, she is fast asleep in her basket).

Uh, no to everything you tried to attribute it to.
First, I don't live in a house but an apartment, and the two sounds are nothing alike, 2nd, this always occurs during REM sleep, and in the wee hours that wakes me from a dream state, so no! there's no getting up to locate the sound, it is not an external rapping noise.
I have always been sensitive to the spiritual realm, so trust me when I say this is not of this world.....<><

I had something simialr a few years back when I was quite unwell, used to get woken up by the phone ringing, though it always stopped the second I became consciously aware of it.

Tend to assume that things like that is the subconscious trying to communicate something rather than any external agency, although I'd concede it can't be proven or falsified either way.

I am currently reading Angels In The Trenches by Dr Leo Ruckbie.

He mentions Charles Richet (during WW1) being awoken from sleep by three knocks on his door and a womans voice saying 'doctor doctor'. Assuming someone needed his assistance, he got up and answered the door. He found no one there. Making a note of the time as being 1:20 in the morning, he went back to sleep.

He later wondered if it was a premonition of the wounding of one of his sons later on September 17th.

I have not experienced the three knocks, myself, though I used to get the familiar EHS manifestation of a voice calling my name. This was always a sign that I was over-tired.

An odder phenomenon sometimes happens in which a crack or click outside my body is exactly in synchronisation with one in my head, as if the same force has triggered them. Typically, the external sound is building-related, due to the expansion or contraction of wooden frames or shelves; the accompanying internal crack is located in the sinuses or eustachian tubes, which pop or clear. I am sure that the sounds are real and that the internal sound is not a response to the external one but an exactly concurrent event.

I do know that my house is subjected to pressure-waves, caused by windows etc. flexing in advance of vehicles on a major road nearby. The waves are felt by the house before any vehicle noise is audible, when it crosses the junction. The logical thing would be to relate the double-sound phenomenon to this. Alerted, I would listen for a passing truck, without hearing one, however. :actw:

Last edited:
I have been woken up twice by aggressive knocks in the wall at my bedside, promptly followed by a disoriented me trying to figure out if I dreamed that or was woken up by actual sound. Pretty sure it's just my brain, though.
...next time that happens I'm knocking back. Make a good Nightmare on Elm Street joke out of it.

Do a "tap, tap, tap-tap-tap, tap tap!" but leave off the last two taps and see if the knockers (?) add them instead.

I would be grateful for anyones insight into something that keeps happening to me.
Usually occuring in the morning, around 6-8am, not every morning, perhaps maybe 3 or 4 times a month. I will be woken sharply by three abrupt, fast and very loud knocks. They sound exactly the same as when someone knocks on my front door which is wooden framed with glass panels. It is a very distinct sound and i have listened for noises in the house or tried re-creating the noise with other possible solutions but as of yet i have been unsuccessful. My room is right next to the front door so there is not time for someone to knock and run away as i would be able to see anyone running down the drive and i live on a quiet cul-de-sac that doesnt lead to anywhere else so doesnt get used as a throughfare for people. My only conclusion i am left with is that perhaps there is a paranormal/supernatural or sub conscious psychological explanation. I would greatly appreciate any insight into what this could be or if anyone else experiences this. Thankyou☺
It could be a weirdo. a friend of mine used to have someone who hit her exterior house wall as he walked thru the alley every night on his way through... who knows why. or it could be a vivd dream. if its paranormal, or if it scares you, put a line of salt across the threshold.

It could be a weirdo. a friend of mine used to have someone who hit her exterior house wall as he walked thru the alley every night on his way through... who knows why. or it could be a vivd dream. if its paranormal, or if it scares you, put a line of salt across the threshold.
We holidayed at Sandy Bay in Devon many many years ago, first week was fine but a family arrived for the second week who were the neighbours from hell. My brother in law and I used to buy a large seafood platter on the way back from the bar, eat it on the hoof on the journey back to the chalet and toss what was left on their roof. At sparrowsfart those humongous sea gulls used to land on the roof and fight for the food, we overheard them complaining that they were being woken by the sound of a team of navvies in hob nailed boots each morning at day break. Very antisocial behaviour on our part but very amusing at the time.

The story of your naughty antisocial behavior is amusing now (IMHO) even tho' I'm glad it didn't happen to me!

I have posted about my daughters and my own experiences in ‘flinging things about’. In that post I mention she had moved from a house that was really odd. One of the things they experienced was three knocks. Their front door was a big old wooden one with a large metal knocker on it. This door was enclosed in a locked porch. So to get in you had to unlocks e porch, go in, unlock the wooden door and then you were in (to the creepy hallway but that’s another story).
when laying in bed at 1am both my son in law and daughter heard three loud distinct knocks of the knocker on the big wooden front door. Both the porch and the door were locked. It wasn’t windy. They could never explain it .

I had a strange experience with knocks, maybe 10 years ago. It happened during the night, in the bedroom,
waking my husband and me. They were repetitive knocks which stopped and started again, emanating from the floorboards below the radiator.
We were working the day after and I just put my hearplugs back and went back to sleep. It lasted more than 10 min and it never reoccured.
I always thought they were rats or mice involved, except it was just very local.

I had a strange experience with knocks, maybe 10 years ago. It happened during the night, in the bedroom,
waking my husband and me. They were repetitive knocks which stopped and started again, emanating from the floorboards below the radiator.
We were working the day after and I just put my hearplugs back and went back to sleep. It lasted more than 10 min and it never reoccured.
I always thought they were rats or mice involved, except it was just very local.
Airlock in a pipe leading to the radiator. Bleed the radiator, problem solved.

I never heard knocks but when I was in my teens/early twenties and close to sleep I would often hear music. It was kind of like complex prog rock with a lot of organs and choirs in it, continually changing and developing. It sounded like it was coming from outside in the distance, but as we lived in the middle of the country that wasn't really possible. I knew it was most likely in my head anyway and I kind of enjoyed it.

Funny thing is in my old house we had a bell and I would always hear the bell ring once in my dream state and then wake up and go to the door but no one is there as I most then likely dreamt it but in my top floor flat we don't have a bell yet I have only dreamt 3 knocks but never a bell....why ?

This reminds me of what Whitley Strieber describes in Transformation. He reports hearing 9 knocks in groups of 3.

"There was a substantial noise, very regular and sharp. The knocks were equally spaced that they sounded like they had been made by a machine."

Of course, he also famously describes what he terms the "the Kobalts".

"They're wearing blue uniforms. Dark blue uniforms. They're sort of gray. They look like they haven't been out in the sun in ten years. Sort of mushroomy-gray. Smell funny. too. Like a burned match head. Just totally expressionless faces. Two big round eyes and a round mouth..."

It’s perhaps surprising that Streiber does not relate these knocks to a more folkloric phenomenon. In the 19th century, miners in Hungary and Bohemia reported hearing knocking in the mines believing them to be warnings from the Kobolds an underground goblin type creature commonly reported in 16th century Germany. In Cornish folklore, a creature, the knocker, is described. Having a similar description to the Kobolds its name comes from the knocking noises they made. The Cornish knocker stories travelled across the Atlantic along with the miners to Pennsylvanian coal mines and the gold and silver rush to the West....becoming the Tommyknockers.

I have experienced the knocks and ringing of a bell, it usually early in the morning, I assume its head bangs and simply all in the brain. It does sound external. Also I have heard the dog whining, or barking, except he's in the kitchen and too far from the bedroom for me to hear him. Also hes "on camera" and never barked or whined.

In the 19th century, miners in Hungary and Bohemia reported hearing knocking in the mines believing them to be warnings from the Kobolds an underground goblin type creature commonly reported in 16th century Germany. In Cornish folklore, a creature, the knocker, is described.
Has anyone ever identified a natural cause of knocks that might precede a collapse of the mine?
Shifting/settling strata that might have been weakened by the digging?

Sometime in the night/morning I had a most unusual variation on the being woken by 3 perceived knocks.

I "heard"/ felt/dreamed/ being shouted awake by name 3 times with increasing insistence until I opened my eyes.

But it wasn't my name. What was being called into my ear was "Fraser. Fraser! Fraser!!".

Neither I nor anyone I know, past or present is called Fraser.

Sometime in the night/morning I had a most unusual variation on the being woken by 3 perceived knocks.

I "heard"/ felt/dreamed/ being shouted awake by name 3 times with increasing insistence until I opened my eyes.

But it wasn't my name. What was being called into my ear was "Fraser. Fraser! Fraser!!".

Neither I nor anyone I know, past or present is called Fraser.
I've often heard voices, usually as I'm falling asleep, and sometimes they call random names or say random phrases. I once heard someone say, with emphasis, 'I left it at the Post Office.'

Brain farts be weird.

I used to get quite a few knocks on my bedroom door when I was a boy. During the day too. I'd rush to catch them at it but no-one was ever there. Sometimes I'd tell them to go away, or ask what they wanted. I never realised that was unusual activity at the time. I just assumed there were ghosts around. I don't anymore but I do remember the knocks.

Something, probably a temperature differential, is making my bedroom floor give a distinct knock, sometimes two, late at night. This house is mostly built of beams and wood and my bedroom window is always open, so I am assuming that it's the cooling of the house. But it makes a kind of creaking/cracking 'bang' in the middle of the night.

The house I grew up in would often produce a loud single bang when the temperature changed - which was quite a bit when it had only a coal furnace. But heating systems in general can make distinct noises, and in my experience they are often in the same pattern (like three knocks in a row) and often sound like something else. We just turned the heat on last week for the first time this year - we live on the first floor of a house converted to two apartments - and the noises made me think someone was moving things around on the front porch.

I've only had one very loud instance of banging in my head, and I'm not sure it was EHS: I was flying out from New York to San Diego to visit friends, and was just coming down with a head cold, which got worse as I took a rather convoluted (but cheap) public transportation route to the airport. The weather turned cold and rainy, making my cold even worse as I waited through a long delay. The pressure differences on the flight caused serious sinus problems, making me somewhat zombie-like for a few days. One night while sleeping I heard a loud bang that sounded (but didn't feel) like someone had whacked me on the back of the head with a 2x4. The next morning my cold was much better.

BTW, in response to those who suggested at the beginning of this thread that the ghost of Tony Orlando was involved, I note that as of this writing he is alive, and therefore probably was alive back in 2018 as well.

My downstairs neighbor has recently complained of hearing three LOUD knocks coming from her ceiling on multiple occasions. I haven't made them, and I haven't even heard them. She's mad at me for not admitting that I'm her poltergeist.

I haven't dared suggest that the building's acoustics might be weird.

Back