• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Three Knocks

It's a very well known experience, and has been reported a number of times on here..including by me. If you google it you'll find many webpages dedicated to it.

In my own particular case it was my later mother who for months if not years would claim she was awoken by a knock at the door...despite my constant checking and reassuring her there was no one out there.

Evidence it's a hypanogic/hypnopompic hallucination (one that occurs to the brain coming into/out of sleep): i was sitting in teh living room with her when she dozed off, she woke with a start insisting the phone was ringing. Of course being in the same room with her i knew it wasn't. She believed it but objectively it simply hadn't happened.

Evidence it may not be: one day when she was away in hospital i heard it myself at aroudn the same time of the morning she always claimed to.

Several weeks ago I had the doubly odd experience of hearing the knock, being so convinced it was real and may be the post man with an expected parcel, that i dashed intothe front upstairs room to see if there was anyone out there..there wasn't. Returning to bed but now fully awake 5 minutes later the knock came for real..and it was indeed, this time, the postman. The imaginary knock has woken me in anticipation of the real one.

3 Knocks a spiritual conspiracy?

Why, I think it's a conspiracy, because I find lately when The 3 knocks happens to me which is it's frequently, is because I'm a dreamer, or at least when I was in California I would remember them, now I lived in New Mexico the state known for the Aliens, and I can rarely remember then.

In California my dreams were very prophetic, and I noticed when I'm in a dream state, I get rudely awakened by these knocks usually around 5 or 6 sometimes earlier, this morning it was actually 4 knocks, really rude!

To me, something doesn't want me to dream, because I have dreamt of the future, and I'm not being permitted to remember, though it's called the three knocks of death, well I know Gloria Vanderbilt just died yesterday, and I think other celeb died before or after the knocks, but no family members have passed...

So my question to you, are you a dreamer? also I'm a Piscean, very connected to the spiritual realm, so what sign are you?

Regarding tapping/knocking sounds etc., it's a tricky fortean topic (like most!). As Tempest63 said about the structure of the building, weird but natural house sounds are fairly common.

If, however the sounds seem to have a pattern to them, such as matching your breathing (which is an obscure but reported psychical phenomenon). Or if you can focus in on an exact spot where the sound seems to be coming from, and then you go closer to that spot and the sound then stops and starts up again immediately from some other location in the house, ad infinitum. That scenario is a pretty sure way of differentiating between an old house creaking and some sort of psychic/supernatural phenomenon. An even better method of deducing the origin would be to ask out loud for a response and see if some form of communication is possible.

I had a 3 knocks incident a couple of days ago. Was in the kitchen & 3 loud thumps on the front door - I have a bell - went to the door, nobody there. Not a rap with the knuckles sound but more of a heavy thump with with a fist. This was in broad daylight about 3.30 in the afternoon, & no-one nearby looking likely. Odd.

I had a 3 knocks incident a couple of days ago. Was in the kitchen & 3 loud thumps on the front door - I have a bell - went to the door, nobody there. Not a rap with the knuckles sound but more of a heavy thump with with a fist. This was in broad daylight about 3.30 in the afternoon, & no-one nearby looking likely. Odd.
T'other day we were in a traffic queue next to terraced houses when some boys walked past, aged about 11/12, one of whom pounded briefly on each door as he passed.

They were soon round the corner and out of sight and I drove on so it was all over in seconds. Little gits.

Today on my cycle home, was in a traffic queue, noticed a van in front with a nearly flat rear tyre.

I pulled up to his window which was open, he was chatting to his passenger. Started to say if you don't already know, you've got a flat etc. The guy jumped out of his skin with surprise!

Luckily we found the funny side & he explained he was carrying a heavy load. A bike/van incident with no unpleasantness..

Or the fabric of the building contracting/expanding?

That's so funny! But, it is a distinct knocking and quick raps, not anything like a building cracking, I know what that sounds like, truly different, and I live on the bottom floor in a apartment complex....
Thanks, and out of curiosity,
Your a Cultist? What exactly?

Regarding tapping/knocking sounds etc., it's a tricky fortean topic (like most!). As Tempest63 said about the structure of the building, weird but natural house sounds are fairly common.

If, however the sounds seem to have a pattern to them, such as matching your breathing (which is an obscure but reported psychical phenomenon). Or if you can focus in on an exact spot where the sound seems to be coming from, and then you go closer to that spot and the sound then stops and starts up again immediately from some other location in the house, ad infinitum. That scenario is a pretty sure way of differentiating between an old house creaking and some sort of psychic/supernatural phenomenon. An even better method of deducing the origin would be to ask out loud for a response and see if some form of communication is possible.

Uh, no to everything you tried to attribute it to.
First, I don't live in a house but an apartment, and the two sounds are nothing alike, 2nd, this always occurs during REM sleep, and in the wee hours that wakes me from a dream state, so no! there's no getting up to locate the sound, it is not an external rapping noise.
I have always been sensitive to the spiritual realm, so trust me when I say this is not of this world.....<><

No, my experience doesn't happen in the waking hours.
It's very etherical like, for example the definition of Ethereal perfect describes the experience: read this definition;

ethereal. Something ethereal is airy and insubstantial, such as a ghostly figure at the top of the stairs. It might also be something delicate and light, like a singer'sethereal voice.

I was wondering whether it might be birds? Thrushes mangling snails, that kind of thing?
Really at 3, 4 or 5 am...Um in a pretty quiet area, but this is what I replied the last person who try logical reasoning...
About the knocking, this definition is the best way I can explain about a knocking that occurs in the dream state, not during waking hour, oh yeah! I also wear ear plugs because that hoe light of a sleeper I am...
ethereal. Something ethereal is airy and insubstantial, such as a ghostly figure at the top of the stairs. It might also be something delicate and light, like a singer'sethereal voice.

T'other day we were in a traffic queue next to terraced houses when some boys walked past, aged about 11/12, one of whom pounded briefly on each door as he passed.

They were soon round the corner and out of sight and I drove on so it was all over in seconds. Little gits.

Nope, not those kind of knocks

The birds around here start up about 3.30 AM at this time of the year. They seem to spend most of the first hour of their day jumping about on my roof. It's quite noisy.
Re Gloria Vanderbilt (Anderson Cooper's mother), remember, she was quite old.

Our house is very susceptible to temperature changes. And makes regular tapping and creaking noises as the Sun is either going down or rising. One gets used to it.

INT21.

Last edited:
The birds around here start up about 3.30 AM at this time of the year. They seem to spend most of the first hour of their day jumping about on my roof. It's quite noisy.
Re Gloria Vanderbilt (Anderson Cooper's mother), remember, she was quite old.

Our house is very susceptible to temperature changes. And makes regular tapping and creaking noises as the Sum is either going down or rising. One gets used to it.

INT21.
Nope, no where near any of those explanations....again this definition is the only way to explain "Not of this World."
What I hear jolts me eighr out of sleep/Dream.

Everything you cite is consistent with a classic hypnopompic auditory hallucination.

Such hallucinations are relatively common in the hypnagogic (drifting from consciousness into sleep) and hypnopompic (surfacing from dreaming / REM) phases of the sleep cycle. Surveys have indicated these transitional phenomena are acknowledged by at least a third of respondents.

Basically, the transitions into and out of sleep don't always happen in a clear or crisp fashion, and this results in neural crosstalk between aspects of both the waking and sleeping states. At the hypnopompic / waking transition, such crosstalk is widely believed to be the causative factor in sleep paralysis and transient waking visual hallucinations.

I've experienced a variety of such sensory blips on both ends of the sleep cycle for at least 50 years now. The most common phantom sounds I experience on the hypnopompic / waking end of a cycle are a knocking / rapping (as if someone's at the door), a doorbell / buzzer, and a voice urgently calling my name. The knocking and doorbell versions rarely match the "real" characteristics or possibilities of my residence.

You mentioned wearing earplugs when you sleep. It's conceivable that effective (e.g., industrial-type; inserted) earplugs might promote hypnopompic auditory hallucinations by preventing your auditory perceptual faculties from (figuratively speaking ... ) picking up external auditory stimuli at a time when your waking-state auditory perception is "booting up" (switching from reacting to synthetic internal stimuli to processing external stimuli).

Everything you cite is consistent with a classic hypnopompic auditory hallucination.

Such hallucinations are relatively common in the hypnagogic (drifting from consciousness into sleep) and hypnopompic (surfacing from dreaming / REM) phases of the sleep cycle. Surveys have indicated these transitional phenomena are acknowledged by at least a third of respondents.

Basically, the transitions into and out of sleep don't always happen in a clear or crisp fashion, and this results in neural crosstalk between aspects of both the waking and sleeping states. At the hypnopompic / waking transition, such crosstalk is widely believed to be the causative factor in sleep paralysis and transient waking visual hallucinations.

I've experienced a variety of such sensory blips on both ends of the sleep cycle for at least 50 years now. The most common phantom sounds I experience on the hypnopompic / waking end of a cycle are a knocking / rapping (as if someone's at the door), a doorbell / buzzer, and a voice urgently calling my name. The knocking and doorbell versions rarely match the "real" characteristics or possibilities of my residence.

You mentioned wearing earplugs when you sleep. It's conceivable that effective (e.g., industrial-type; inserted) earplugs might promote hypnopompic auditory hallucinations by preventing your auditory perceptual faculties from (figuratively speaking ... ) picking up external auditory stimuli at a time when your waking-state auditory perception is "booting up" (switching from reacting to synthetic internal stimuli to processing external stimuli).
Everything you just said Enola and something we also have to be conscious of during our ghost invests (3am tricks of the mind because we're/everyone is supposed to naturally be asleep at that time .. the brain doesn't care if you're awake or asleep, it starts its programme regardless ... the temporal lobe is triggered which, again, can explain people claiming to have paranormal experiences at that specific time frame window) .. there was even a non paranormal but still vaguely Fortean song written about it which also went on to be turned into a hardcore rave song also explaining why people went 'a bit funny' at all night raves at 3am to 4am .. "You look like you're in another world and I can read your mind .. it's 4 o'clock in the morning and it's starting to get light" .. (skip to 1:00 for the lyrics)

(the original by Beverly Craven)

It's a very well known experience, and has been reported a number of times on here..including by me. If you google it you'll find many webpages dedicated to it.

In my own particular case it was my later mother who for months if not years would claim she was awoken by a knock at the door...despite my constant checking and reassuring her there was no one out there.

Evidence it's a hypanogic/hypnopompic hallucination (one that occurs to the brain coming into/out of sleep): i was sitting in teh living room with her when she dozed off, she woke with a start insisting the phone was ringing. Of course being in the same room with her i knew it wasn't. She believed it but objectively it simply hadn't happened.

Evidence it may not be: one day when she was away in hospital i heard it myself at aroudn the same time of the morning she always claimed to.

Several weeks ago I had the doubly odd experience of hearing the knock, being so convinced it was real and may be the post man with an expected parcel, that i dashed intothe front upstairs room to see if there was anyone out there..there wasn't. Returning to bed but now fully awake 5 minutes later the knock came for real..and it was indeed, this time, the postman. The imaginary knock has woken me in anticipation of the real one.

You seem young, but that had no bearing on Esoteric experiences/occurrences.
I've had esoteric experiences & Denine interventions going back to age 2, and I remember them vividly....
The day my mom died, she visited me in a morning dream, it was the day after I just seen her in the hospital & before her surgery, so I left and went home, the dream the next morning was very symbolic, it was her saying goodbye, five minute later, as I had awoken in tears and shaking, my dad called to say my mom just passed away.

You seem young, but that had no bearing on Esoteric experiences/occurrences.
I've had esoteric experiences & Denine interventions going back to age 2, and I remember them vividly....
The day my mom died, she visited me in a morning dream, it was the day after I just seen her in the hospital & before her surgery, so I left and went home, the dream the next morning was very symbolic, it was her saying goodbye, five minute later, as I had awoken in tears and shaking, my dad called to say my mom just passed away.
Gattino's probably older than you (I think ..from memory and his past posts .. I won't ask you how old you are) and yes, that has no bearings on esoteric experiences and occurrences, the young on the other hand are more open to these things IMO.

No, my earplugs are soft ones, and I wear them after the fact of previously hearing the knocks without them, and like I said my complex in in a very very quiet area.
So, look for my book in the future titled "The 12th Sign", all about my extensive experiences with, the Divine interventions, spiritual occurrences, and the dark ones too, yet, the Divine out numbers the demonic.... hallelujah on that note...
Gattino's probably older than you (I think ..from memory and his past posts .. I won't ask you how old you are) and yes, that has no bearings on esoteric experiences and occurrences, the young on the other hand are more open to these things IMO.

Well, I suppose I made that reference to his age because of his photo/ avetar, yet, my owb pic is using a filter, but, It's pretty darn close to what this 64 year old looks like...your welcome...lol!
Now, exploding head syndrome might be an explanation that makes a bit of sense, yet, I really believe since I've moved out here New Mexico, that I'm being prevented from having prophetic dreams and visions. JS

No, my earplugs are soft ones, and I wear them after the fact of previously hearing the knocks without them, and like I said my complex in in a very very quiet area.
So, look for my book in the future titled "The 12th Sign", all about my extensive experiences with, the Divine interventions, spiritual occurrences, and the dark ones too, yet, the Divine out numbers the demonic.... hallelujah on that note...

Well, I suppose I made that reference to his age because of his photo/ avetar, yet, my owb pic is using a filter, but, It's pretty darn close to what this 64 year old looks like...your welcome...lol!
Now, exploding head syndrome might be an explanation that makes a bit of sense, yet, I really believe since I've moved out here New Mexico, that I'm being prevented from having prophetic dreams and visions. JS
If you're 64 then I'm a carrot. Peter Jackson's going to be poaching your filter designer.

Ok!
Not liking mine, I rather be "Matrix Of Changes" like in my book I'm writing.. :)

The 'Devoted Cultist' title is one of the standard titles displayed based on membership tenure and activity. There's a progressive series of such titles that are automatically applied by default.

Members may also edit their account preferences to display a custom or personalized title.

Since you've expressed such a preference, I've edited your record to give you the "Matrix of Changes" title you cited.

Baltar and Cotton socks, at least it'd drown any bedbugs.
I think Skinny raised a good point saying houses make noises, for example when the sun comes up they must start expanding and creaking.
PS- I just remembered, we had a squirrel running around in our loft once right above my bedroom and when it woke in the morning it'd start playing with its nuts which sounded like a poltergeist in action, and I used to ask it questions on a "one knock for 'yes', two knocks for 'no' basis, e.g.-
"Will I be lucky in love?"---KNOCK KNOCK
"Will aliens take over the world?"-- KNOCK
"Will the BBC start re-runs of 'Blakes Seven?"--KNOCK KNOCK
"Does the woman in the chip shop fancy me?"-- KNOCK KNOCK
Really!?
The 'Devoted Cultist' title is one of the standard titles displayed based on membership tenure and activity. There's a progressive series of such titles that are automatically applied by default.

Members may also edit their account preferences to display a custom or personalized title.

Since you've expressed such a preference, I've edited your record to give you the "Matrix of Changes" title you cited.
Cool! Thank you very much!

"There's nothing in the dark that wasn't there when the light was on."
Sayings by Lady Matrix

Oh, I wasn't specific, can you please update to. "LadyMatrix" of Changes?
Thanks! Your the best

Back