• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Top Ten Horror Films You've Never Seen (but should)

brianjmyers

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I recently wrote an article for Tuning Fork TV that highlighted the best horror films most of us have never seen. Of course, after reading my own list, I realized that this one easily could have been stretched further, as I left dozen off that are as notorious as they are non-mainline. Feel free to read the list for free on Tuning Fork TV’s site by clicking below. And please share on Facebook or Twitter with any of your friends who appreciate the horror genre.
http://tuningfork.tv/?p=963

Fair enough, but I don't think it counts as a Fortean news story.

I've seen six of them, all good to great, will check out the others.

sherbetbizarre said:
You spelt your number 1 movie wrong! ;)
I went to see Suspiria, in the cinema. I was very, very, young at the time. It was strangely erotic. There's one scene where a young ballet dancer falls down a lift shaft into razor wire. Very odd and not entirely pleasant.

The music, by Goblin, is great. Probably about the most stylish slasher movie you're ever likely to see.

Suspiria terrified me as a child. I agree, Goblin was an excellent choice of music for the film.

Was Suspiria the one where all the maggots fall through the ceiling onto the ballet dancers? I've seen most Argento films upto Opera but really can't separate them out in my head after all this time.

Dead Alive was released as Brain Dead in the UK. I remember seeing that at the cinema and deciding that was the end of me watching gore, not because it's a bad movie, but because it's a bloody brilliant one that pushes the envelope as far as it's worth going. There was really no-where to go up after that.

OneWingedBird said:
Was Suspiria the one where all the maggots fall through the ceiling onto the ballet dancers? I've seen most Argento films upto Opera but really can't separate them out in my head after all this time.

That's the one, Argento is (well, was) always good at the setpieces and there are bits and pieces of his movies which surface in the mind like a vivid nightmare you once had at three o'clock in the morning. Suspiria's his best non-giallo still, I think.

Dead Alive was released as Brain Dead in the UK. I remember seeing that at the cinema and deciding that was the end of me watching gore, not because it's a bad movie, but because it's a bloody brilliant one that pushes the envelope as far as it's worth going. There was really no-where to go up after that.

I saw Braindead at the cinema too! (Horrified) "Your mother ate my dog!" (Embarrassed) "Not all of it." I sort of wish Jackson, like Raimi, would give a low budget horror another go for old time's sake.

sherbetbizarre said:
You spelt your number 1 movie wrong! ;)

Also wrong is the year of release of the excellent number 6 . (2004 is, I think, the year the original novel was published.)

Glad to see The Changeling gets a mention - still shityerpants scary after all these years, and not an ounce of gore in sight.

I'm not sure what qualifies something as being a great Horror movie you've never seen, though - I mean, I'm not by any means a horror movie buff and I've seen half those movies.

I've seen Susperia, The Changeling and Let The Right One In.
I've possibly seen the Robert Mitchum one too, I saw loads of old horror films in my early teens, when I was allowed to stay up after my mother went to bed, it sort of rings a bell.
One good horror film no one seems to have seen is Dagon.

Apart from one or two thee are all pretty well known films, several of them are on British TV very regularly.

I haven't seen all of them, but of those that I have Night of the Hunter is in a different league, it's bloody fantastic.

One good horror film no one seems to have seen is Dagon.

Is it Spanish, I hope it is, I really fancy the sound of this one. When I read a bit about it though I couldn't help thinking of 'Bloodtide'.

oldrover said:
Is it Spanish, I hope it is, I really fancy the sound of this one. When I read a bit about it though I couldn't help thinking of 'Bloodtide'.

Apparently so. I've seen it a couple of times and didn't remember it being Spanish - the dubbing must've been good! It's based on a Lovecraft tale.

John Carpenter's 'In the mouth of Madness' is another film in the Lovecraft vein that hardly anyone I know seems to have seen. I saw it by chance late one night on TV and loved it.

gyrtrash said:
John Carpenter's 'In the mouth of Madness' is another film in the Lovecraft vein that hardly anyone I know seems to have seen. I saw it by chance late one night on TV and loved it.

I was one of the few who saw that in the cinema. I was attracted by the Carpenter name and surprisingly for one of his 90s movies it didn't disappoint, it was a lot of fun.

I've seen all ten, I need to get out more.

The sentinel I saw when it first hit VHS and even at the tender age I was, the idea of disabled people playing monsters struck a ill cord with me.

I just looked up the movie on IMDB, wow what a cast.

Another obscure but worthwhile horror film:

M: A very young Peter Lorre, as a serial killer.

I've seen that one, possibly one of the scariest of the portmanteau movies, genuinely incredibly creepy, seem to remember the door and mirror stories being real nightmare fuel.

dreeness said:
Another obscure but worthwhile horror film:

M: A very young Peter Lorre, as a serial killer.

Regarding the film "M": This was based upon the notorious German serial murderer, Peter Kurten, who earned the monicker, "The Vampire Of Dusseldorf."

I dug out an HMV gift voucher a friend had given me and exchanged it for Santa Sangre. To say it's extraordinary and weird would be falling short of the mark as it knowingly hits all the cult buttons straight away and reminded me very much of surrealist movies like L'Age d'Or and The Saragossa Manuscript. Bloody, bizarre and the clowns don't help at all.

Of the others, I've seen all but The Man Who Laughs and Zombie2. I saw Suspiria at the cinema when it was released and thought it cheap and schlocky although the razor wire scene has stayed with me. I'd suggest Ring instead of The Grudge as it introduced the west to the long slowboil then shitstorm horror pacing that makes movies like Audition such a tough watch at the end.

I found this thread whilst looking to see if anyone had started a discussion on Kill List (seriously, why can't I get the bloody search function to work?).

I saw Suspiria years ago on TV, I think. The music scared the me half to death and every time I read anything about Suspiria, I hear it all over again in my head. Not nice.

I also saw In The Mouth of Madness years ago and even had it on VHS for a time. Loved it.

Let The Right One In, I found terribly sad and moving. I couldn't read the book though; it was just too horrible.

(I'm not entirely sure why I am writing in these staccato sentences today. :shock: )

If not having an actual thread of its own, I recall having discussed this film here somewhere.

Just a warning to anyone who happens to read this, no matter how bored you are, no matter how stupid a mood you're in, no matter how low you set your expectations, do not watch 'Storage 24'. It is quite possibly the worst horror film of all time.

1. Q The Winged Serpent
2. Horror Express
3. Island of Terror
4. Lair of the White Worm
5.The Descent
6. Quatermass
7. X The Unknown
8. Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney)
9 An American Werewolf in London
10. Gingersnaps

I second The Descent and would also mention Cube.

Back