• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Transdimensional Gas Station

I remember the first time I saw a Ford Ka, in the 1990s, and it looked unlike anything else at that time...

Talking of old vehicles, I've always wondered why road ghosts don't include more stagecoaches, and so on. Especially given there must have been some pretty bad accidents involving them. Random people are seen, usually just one person, but rarely a stagecoach full of people! Yet older roads that are associated with ghosts, hardly ever seem to have a vehicle ghost.

Oh but they do, if this is to be believed...

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=274

Imagine somebody going back in time and trying to pay contactless.
In that Liverpool case, the witness tried to buy incredibly cheap baby clothes in Mothercare, but they refused to accept her credit card. Later her mother told her Mothercare had closed down and been replaced by a bank -- she didn't believe this until taken to see for herself. Why hasn't someone in Liverpool tried to trace ex employees working there and get pictures of them to show the witness?

I think stagecoaches are quite a common ghostly tale theme. But only the ones drawn by headless horses, not particularly standard ones :) You wouldn't mistake such a thing for a real one. Which you might if you saw a Ford Ka ghost, how would you know?

I met someone who swore he'd seen a highwayman on a horse. or at least someone in very old fashioned getup on a horse with ancient-looking saddle/bridle. Does that count as traffic?

In that Liverpool case, the witness tried to buy incredibly cheap baby clothes in Mothercare, but they refused to accept her credit card. Later her mother told her Mothercare had closed down and been replaced by a bank -- she didn't believe this until taken to see for herself. Why hasn't someone in Liverpool tried to trace ex employees working there and get pictures of them to show the witness?

Is that in the timeslip thread? I'd be interested to read that account.

I'd be highly surprised to find anyone or anything even vaguely in control of my mind - including me.

Sorry I rented your mind out to a family of end of the world preppers. The next group in are medieval reenactors and furries.

Talking of old vehicles, I've always wondered why road ghosts don't include more stagecoaches, and so on. Especially given there must have been some pretty bad accidents involving them. Random people are seen, usually just one person, but rarely a stagecoach full of people! Yet older roads that are associated with ghosts, hardly ever seem to have a vehicle ghost.

There is an age old ghost story on the Fletchamstead highway, in Coventry. Enough that the nearby pub is named 'The Phantom Coach'.

Local legend has it that at some hitherto unquantified point in history a horsedrawn carriage travelling along the road which the Fletchamstead Highway replaced came off the road and slid into nearby marshland, killing all those inside the coach.

Since this point Locals have heard the phantom sound of oncoming horses. And on some occasions supposedly seen the coach repeating the end of its journey.

No modern witnesses, mind you.

The Phantom Coachman said "Room for one more" long before the bus driver or the elevator riders said it.

Farnham, sometimes dubbed the most haunted village in Britain (and where I visited yesterday), has a ghostly stagecoach, which has been seen, and more often heard, on Castle Street *

http://www.ghostsandportals.com/ghosts-of-farnham.php

* which also contains the building known as the most haunted theatre in Britain, but which is now a pizza restaurant - see earlier thread.

Yes, there are occasional ghostly stagecoaches - but when you think the roads must have been packed with them, especially along the old coaching inn routes and in the centre of cities, and whenever there were markets, fairs, horse races, etc going on... you'd think there'd be more!

Friend of mine claimed he saw some ghostly 1950s/60s' car racing through my old village on the old Great North Rd, one evening. (I forget why he was so convinced it wasn't actually physically there, and not just a vintage car going through... And that is someone I never bump into anymore so I may never find out). And I read somewhere of a supposed ghost cyclist in the centre of York - come to think of it... why aren't there a lot more ghostly cyclists as well?

Ghostly horsemen or carriages tend to make me lean more towards stone tape explanations for ghosts.

Sure, folks fall off horses and sometimes die. And sure, sometimes horses have an accident that doesn't end well for them either. But were a ghost purely a revenant spirit I'd expect to hear of lot more solitary ghost horses and horseless ghostly folks in riding attire than I do of phantom horse & rider pairs.

Yes, there are occasional ghostly stagecoaches - but when you think the roads must have been packed with them, especially along the old coaching inn routes and in the centre of cities, and whenever there were markets, fairs, horse races, etc going on... you'd think there'd be more!

Friend of mine claimed he saw some ghostly 1950s/60s' car racing through my old village on the old Great North Rd, one evening. (I forget why he was so convinced it wasn't actually physically there, and not just a vintage car going through... And that is someone I never bump into anymore so I may never find out). And I read somewhere of a supposed ghost cyclist in the centre of York - come to think of it... why aren't there a lot more ghostly cyclists as well?

https://womenofeverycomplexionandco...ostly-cyclist-in-brooklyns-prospect-park.html

Years ago, on another forum , a poster suggested the idea that, instead of being linear, time and space actually resembled a spirograph (named after an annoying toy that was popular back in the 1960s and 70s).

spirograph_sample.png

In such a universe, time and space could potentially have infinite numbers of convergences and intersections. If such were the case, these intersections may give rise to the periodic aberrations that people report.

Still, this would not fully explain how only certain people experience these occurrences or how, in some cases, they are not momentarily but persist for some length of time. This might indicate that human brains have an electro-chemical GPS that allows them to perceive space-time in unique ways. Perhaps the GPS temporarily jumps to a parallel track before resuming its normal course.

Welcome (or welcome back) to the board, John Wellington Wells. It's nice to see another Gilbert and Sullivan enthusiast on FTMB. I have posted a YouTube link to a duet from The Sorcerer on the G&S thread to mark your arrival (or return, whichever it may be). You're no doubt quite familiar with it.

My apologies to other posters for diverging from the thread topic but I couldn't resist. As you were.
The penny just dropped. Is there a G&S thread on this forum?

Years ago, on another forum , a poster suggested the idea that, instead of being linear, time and space actually resembled a spirograph (named after an annoying toy that was popular back in the 1960s and 70s).

spirograph_sample.png

In such a universe, time and space could potentially have infinite numbers of convergences and intersections. If such were the case, these intersections may give rise to the periodic aberrations that people report.

Still, this would not fully explain how only certain people experience these occurrences or how, in some cases, they are not momentarily but persist for some length of time. This might indicate that human brains have an electro-chemical GPS that allows them to perceive space-time in unique ways. Perhaps the GPS temporarily jumps to a parallel track before resuming its normal course.

I like this sort of idea. And of course it's also possible that more of us do experience things, but perhaps without noticing.

Oh and in a bit of a coinkydink, I'm listening to music at the moment and the song that just finished playing has the following lyrics:
"In front of a natural tapestry that's like a spirograph of branches that dance in the breeze."

:cool:

Surely the introduction of the Euro must be a bit of a stumbling block to anyone encountering a timeslip overseas. Wouldn't anyone in a suspect French hotel expect the bill to be in Euros now, and the mere hearing of the word 'francs' would make you suspicious?

Certainly you would expect there to be. I don't know if you could mistake Euro currency for an other pre-Euro coin in some of the Countries which adopted it. But certainly the notes would be different.

Likewise, depending on where the theoretical slip fell back to, trying to pay by a debit or credit card would be a problem. If you went back beyond a time when you *could* pay by card that would be a problem.

Certainly you would expect there to be. I don't know if you could mistake Euro currency for an other pre-Euro coin in some of the Countries which adopted it. But certainly the notes would be different.

Likewise, depending on where the theoretical slip fell back to, trying to pay by a debit or credit card would be a problem. If you went back beyond a time when you *could* pay by card that would be a problem.
Even paying by card is constantly changing, chip and pin and contactless. Type of cards too, anyone remember Access? I’d forgetter about it until I saw a forty five year old catalogue the other day.

pretty much any financial transaction would be problematic in the scenario ... although there are theories that have been advanced on the thread already ...

Even paying by card is constantly changing, chip and pin and contactless. Type of cards too, anyone remember Access? I’d forgetter about it until I saw a forty five year old catalogue the other day.

Solo card, anybody? Egg card?

Back