• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Transdimensional Gas Station

This didn't happen to me. And sorry to butt in. But it is a story I found from the 1930s that definitely fits into the Transdimensional Gas Station mould. But a different interpretation.
Two men were going to Tipperary town to sell butter at the market. One of the men wanted to light his pipe but found he had no matches. They came to a beautiful house on the roadside and the man went in to ask for matches or to light his pipe.
Three women, dressed like nuns, were sitting round a small fire. He went to the fire and lit his pipe. He spoke but the women did not reply.
He looked around as he stood up and saw a corpse of a man lying on a bed in a room adjoining the kitchen. One of the women said "Is there anyone with you?" The man replied "My Uncle is." "It is well for you" said the woman. On returning from the market they looked for the house into which the man had gone to light his pipe but they only found a moate on the spot. The man's hair had turned white next morning.​
It's from folklore collected in Ireland in the 1930s. The implication is that the Good People were involved y'see. Not so much a timeslip as - well, maybe the matches-seeker seeing something he didn't oughta have seen. That it was his perception that allowed him to see something that's always there, but in a different reality.
But they'd sorted out that glitch by the time he returned.
https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922042/4921522

This didn't happen to me. And sorry to butt in. But it is a story I found from the 1930s that definitely fits into the Transdimensional Gas Station mould. But a different interpretation.
Two men were going to Tipperary town to sell butter at the market. One of the men wanted to light his pipe but found he had no matches. They came to a beautiful house on the roadside and the man went in to ask for matches or to light his pipe.
Three women, dressed like nuns, were sitting round a small fire. He went to the fire and lit his pipe. He spoke but the women did not reply.
He looked around as he stood up and saw a corpse of a man lying on a bed in a room adjoining the kitchen. One of the women said "Is there anyone with you?" The man replied "My Uncle is." "It is well for you" said the woman. On returning from the market they looked for the house into which the man had gone to light his pipe but they only found a moate on the spot. The man's hair had turned white next morning.​
It's from folklore collected in Ireland in the 1930s. The implication is that the Good People were involved y'see. Not so much a timeslip as - well, maybe the matches-seeker seeing something he didn't oughta have seen. That it was his perception that allowed him to see something that's always there, but in a different reality.
Three women? Or... three witches?

It comes down to perceptiveness, all right, but how this can lead on to physical interaction (getting a light from their fire, speaking to them) is the puzzle. Glitch is the only concept that seems wide ranging enough to explain this. Great find this -- there seem to be loads of interesting stories there.

This reminded me of a short story by Oliver Onions called The Cigarette Case, a ghost story with a time slip angle to it.

Story can be read at this link.

It’s interesting that the women are dressed as nuns, I don’t know how positively nuns would have been viewed in Ireland at that time. My mother in law went to a convent school in Dublin in the thirties and had no time for nuns as a consequence. In Italy nuns and priests are both considered unlucky.

bizzare! if that had been reported today it would be a time slip or even a interdimensional trip

synchronicity smiled upon me once again and i just found another story of the "cosmic car" type ( i am starting to think they deserve their own thread) :

FILE IN NEXT POST.

Two men were going to Tipperary town to sell butter at the market. One of the men wanted to light his pipe but found he had no matches. They came to a beautiful house on the roadside and the man went in to ask for matches or to light his pipe.​
Three women, dressed like nuns, were sitting round a small fire. He went to the fire and lit his pipe. He spoke but the women did not reply.​

You don't really hear of the "hair turning white overnight from fright" trope so much these days. It was common when I was a kid and was said to have happened in one of our local ghost stories.

https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/can-hair-really-turn-white-fright-1C9926281

Update: I drove home during the night so unfortunately couldn't do it this time. Well, I could have, only it was pitch black and 3am. I might have attracted some unwanted attention if I drove slowly through the villages, getting out and taking photos of random houses.

Update: I drove home during the night so unfortunately couldn't do it this time. Well, I could have, only it was pitch black and 3am. I might have attracted some unwanted attention if I drove slowly through the villages, getting out and taking photos of random houses.

Might have been rather spooky at that time of the morning!

And I suppose it wouldn't have helped if you'd explained yourself by telling them you were looking for a transdimensional gas station :D

Never mind, I'm sure there'll be another opportunity.

LOL - I can see a rather weird Tales of the Unexpected twist to this whereby the road slowly sends me mad looking for something that was never there in the first place.

Ringo - don't you remember it was you who started this thread?
*cue Twilight Zone music*

No nurse, I'm afraid that this is an impossible case. Please don't indulge his fantasies of this 'transdimensional gas station', it'll only make him worse. And if he ever shows you something that looks like a receipt, then I suggest you bin it and tell no one.

But Doctor, he looks so...normal.

7225.jpg

Back