• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Transdimensional Gas Station

Tony1943AS said:
Are there anymore such threads here?

Regards Tony
maybe i'm just paranoid, but that sounds somewhat sinister. :shock:

do you work for some agency trying to 'tidy up' time travel inconsistencies?

Anyhow, I'm not telling....

unless the bribe is big enough!

Investigation!

Well! Well! Rynner so you have discovered the truth, or part of the truth, but no matter I have carried out my own exhaustive investigation helped greatly by your own search engine & using my trained skills. I note that ‘parallel universes’ are discussed but what else I have found I shall keep secret for the time being….

What I like & find convincing about these recollections of Aouroborous is the detail, the fact that two people witnessed the event & the straightforward substance of what happened. A building, actually looking at the original post buildings;
“A farm house in a pretty dilapidated condition, & a long, shed-type structure”, was for the driver & passenger physically present & a few hours latter had disappeared.

There is no ifs or buts here, no ghosts seen out of the corner of the eye, no whisper that might have been misheard, no ectoplasm or apported objects, no suspicion of dreams or ‘super telepathy’. This is either a genuine mystery or a lie, a story made up by Aouroborous, though why he should take the trouble to post this when I can see no tangible reason for him doing so I can not think.

Until I find reasons to the contrary I shall regard this as ‘a mystery’ & like other such complications to the rational world it deserves the publicity of this forum.

Regards Tony

I love this story, and believe in it for the reasons you cite. However, there is that nagging suspicion. I asked him several times about the guy he was with that day, surely the ultimate in corroboration. People are so traceable these days. And yet he didnt even respond on that point. Theres also the matter of the receipt...

This one is more a matter of faith than belief.

Confirmation

Yes HenryFort your right, it is true about corroboration, I cited that as a main plus for this story didn’t I. I wonder why Aouroborous never mentioned his co-workers name :?:
I’m not too bothered about the missing receipt it happened a long time ago after all & it is quite possible the receipt was lost, but yes it would have strengthened the report to have a name for the co-worker & indeed to have his confirmation of what happened.

A pity Aouroborous has not returned to the fold.

Perhaps he went back to look for the gas station again, found it and it once again disapeared , but this time he was still in it when it did so ,leaving him trapped in that dimension?
Perhaps it only appears in cycles?

Hey guys! I haven´t been on the forum for ages and ages. Just decided on a whim today to log on, and guess what comes up on the top of the threads? MY old thread! Is that a coincidence or what?

Now, it seems strange that I should forget about the posting I made, especially since a copy of the original post remains on my computer, but that´s the long and short of it. It just had vanished from my mind, until right now. Weird!

Anyway, after a rather upsetting divorce last year (combined by a hasty move) I´ve only just started to get my life back together. I still haven´t looked for that reciept - I geuss its in there somewhere. Moving from a 3-roomer to a small 1-roomer tend to get things a bit ..... crowded.

One other thing which I just remembered: Shortly after posting the story I was contacted by a journalist (was your name Ellis?) who was a member of this forum, and very interested in "time slips". He asked some questions over mail, and I gave him some additional information. He seemed to be somewhat disappointed when I told him I didn´t see my experience as a time slip. There was talk about publishing the account, but he abruptly broke off contact and never replied to my subsequent mails. If you´re reading this, maybe you can get back into contact with me, Ellis?

OK, anyway, I´m sorry I left you guys hanging on this one. One of these days, I´ll get my s**t together, and dig up that slip of paper, if its still in my possession.

It´s weird, but its only at certain times I remember this thing at all, and can focus on it without getting instantly bored and/or diverted. It seems I have to feel like shit to even be able to think about it for any longer periods of time. Never experienced that kind of thing before, now that I think about it. Strange!

I´ll try to remember to swing by this forum more often. Thanks for all your help. I´m touched by all the attention I´ve got from this community.

Best regards, David

Aouroborous said:
It´s weird, but its only at certain times I remember this thing at all, and can focus on it without getting instantly bored and/or diverted. It seems I have to feel like shit to even be able to think about it for any longer periods of time. Never experienced that kind of thing before, now that I think about it. Strange!
That sounds like the plot of John Barnes' book "Finity": the main character comes to realise that no-one can actually force themselves to think about America for more than a few moments. The harder they try, the less they can do it.

Funny really. I'd just read the previous couple of posts on this thread, seeing people speculate on the fate of the original poster. I then went over to read the "Coincidences" thread, and on a whim I returned to this one. In an uncanny bit of synchronicity, I find that the original poster has returned, safe and well!

Great tale, Auroborous, and if you do remember anything more (or even find that receipt!), please share it with us - this is one of the more memorable threads in IHTM.

Don't know if it's been suggested before Aouroborous, but can you locate this road on GoogleEarth or other mapping utility and post the coordinates?

The coordinates are:

58"17'32.49" N
15"10'52.93" E

The road runs in a north-south direction from the tiny village of Västra Harg to the slightly larger township of Mjölby. The road, I think, has changed over the years, but its still going through the same neck of the woods, so to speak.

Best regards, David

MORE INFO IF POSS

Nice to hear from you again David & to learn things are better for you now. Thanks for posting the coordinates.
So……. Can you help us by expanding further on you original report?

In particular are you able to give us the name of your co-worker?
Is it someone we could contact or who could post here?
This would be of great help in the corroboration of what you told us.
Henry Fort said, “I asked him, (Aouroborous) several times about the guy he was with that day, surely the ultimate in corroboration. People are so traceable these days.”

Look forward to hearing more.
Regards Tony

Well, as it happens, Tony, my coworker´s name was....Tony! I saw Henry´s PM just now, but im sceptical to posting this guy´s full name on a public forum, especially since I havent spoken to him in damn near 15 years.

Come on David, find that receipt!

This could blow our reality apart!

I know you can't (not that I don't believe you - I really do as it happens) it's just that these things just NEVER HAPPEN! You'll just find a blank bit of paper or something.

D'oh!

Aouroborous said:
Well, as it happens, Tony, my coworker´s name was....Tony! I saw Henry´s PM just now, but im sceptical to posting this guy´s full name on a public forum, especially since I havent spoken to him in damn near 15 years.
Yeah you dont have to post his name. But would getting in touch with him be an option for you, would it even be possible? To get his recollection of events?

You never know, he may have solved the riddle.

As for the receipt, itll surface when its ready, but you could help it along a little.

As youve probably seen from the replies to this thread, many people have become enthralled by this tale, and I think its fair to say that I for one wouldnt still be coming to this board if I hadnt read your story... A lot of people have been affected by it...

Aouroborous said:
One other thing which I just remembered: Shortly after posting the story I was contacted by a journalist (was your name Ellis?) who was a member of this forum, and very interested in "time slips". He asked some questions over mail, and I gave him some additional information. He seemed to be somewhat disappointed when I told him I didn´t see my experience as a time slip. There was talk about publishing the account, but he abruptly broke off contact and never replied to my subsequent mails. If you´re reading this, maybe you can get back into contact with me, Ellis?
Markbellis? Now you mention it Ive not seen him around for a while, seems like he hasnt logged on since 31st December... Which is a shame.

What was the "additional info" that you came up with?

HenryFort said:
Aouroborous said:
Yeah you dont have to post his name. But would getting in touch with him be an option for you, would it even be possible? To get his recollection of events?

You never know, he may have solved the riddle.

As for the receipt, itll surface when its ready, but you could help it along a little.

As youve probably seen from the replies to this thread, many people have become enthralled by this tale, and I think its fair to say that I for one wouldnt still be coming to this board if I hadnt read your story... A lot of people have been affected by it...

I googled for the guy yesterday, after posting here. Came up blank, which either means he changed his name, I spelled it wrong, he´s got a confidential address or he´s left the country. I´ll not even mention disappearing into another dimension...... He shouldnt be hard to find, now that I think about it as he´s one of Sweden´s finest in MTB downhill/offtrack (or at least was, at the time). I´ll run a more extensive search when i have time. I´ll also raid my storage facility one of these days to look for a certain slip of paper. Promise...!

/David

HenryFort said:
Aouroborous said:
Markbellis? Now you mention it Ive not seen him around for a while, seems like he hasnt logged on since 31st December... Which is a shame.

What was the "additional info" that you came up with?

Nope, ths guy was nicked "mcinner" om the forum, and gave his name as J. Ellis. Hmmm, actually, I could perhaps post the entire email conversation we had, if anyone is interested. I cant see anything wrong with that, as long as I remove names and addresses? If I can remember correctly, he asked second opinions from some "expert" om time slips, and sent her response to me. Could this perhaps be of interest to this forum?

/D

Oh, I think that would definitely be interesting and enlightening!

Welcome back, BTW, David. This is easily my favorite thread on the forum!

:D

Aouroborous said:
Nope, ths guy was nicked "mcinner" om the forum, and gave his name as J. Ellis. Hmmm, actually, I could perhaps post the entire email conversation we had, if anyone is interested. I cant see anything wrong with that, as long as I remove names and addresses? If I can remember correctly, he asked second opinions from some "expert" om time slips, and sent her response to me. Could this perhaps be of interest to this forum?
I think one or two people might like to take a look...

OK, here´s the first mail from Ellis, dated 2 march, 2006 (Aren´t there a lot of coincidences here, or is it only me - it´s 2nd of march, 2007 today...)

Hi David,
Thanks for getting back to me. I do hope things are better in your personal life.

I'm just going back over the old FT threads as I first read your post late last year.

I'm trying to speak to Jenny Randles (mentioned in one of the posts) who is an expert in Time Slips today to see if your story qualifies.

The markers you suggest would all place the 'event' if it were a time slip sometime post the late 40s. War-time gas, ballpoints were invented in the 40s, flourescent lights were first patented in the US in 1939...

The only issue I can see which could contradict all this would be the currency. I know that post UK decmilisation (1972) here, our notes/coins have remained around the same size and wondered if this was also true in Sweden. When handed a bunch of change, I tend to know instinctively of the value of the coins, and would never check them to see the date on them or whether it was an up-to-date picture of the queen ;)

So here are a couple of questions from me:

1. Would you mind me publishing an edited version of your account in Metro and if so, do you want to use a pseudonym? I'm happy to send you a transcript of the article before publishing.
2. What's your profession?
3. What town do you now live in?
4. Have you discussed the issue since with your former colleague?
5. What made you suddenly drag the memory up, 12-13 years after the event.

All best

James

This is my reply, the same date:

Hi James.

Sorry for not getting back to you until now - things have been hectic at
work. Im sure you know how that works...?

I´m still a bit pressed for time, so I´ll dive straight into your questions.

1. If you find the story suitable, you´re welcome to publish it. I don´t
have a problem with you using my real name, but I´ll be thankful if you are
restrictive with my contact information towards a third part.

2. I´m a scientist by profession, doing research on cancer treatment. If you
are interested, I´ll be happy to go into greater detail, but that will
require an article in itself...:)

3. I live and work in Gothenburg, Sweden.

4. Me and my colleague (call him T) discussed this a few times afterwards.
We never really tried to find an explanation for it, and after a while we
sort of let it go. I moved from that town at the end of that summer and we
lost contact. I haven´t spoken to him since that, and I haven´t been able to
locate him on the internet. I may not remember the last name correctly, or
perhaps he moved out of town as well.

5. This event has been lying there at the back of my head for some 12 years,
and I haven´t reallt given much thought to sharing it until I found the
Fortean Times Forum. It was more or less on a whim that I finally wrote the
whole thing down and posted it.

I apologize for being so short about this. If you have other questions that
need more eloquent answers, send them to me in the weekend, and I´ll try to
find time for them.

/David

A few days later, I got this:

Hi David,
Thought you'd like to know what Time Slips expert Jenny Randles has to say about your story.
Once again, the money question is the most obvious one.
All best
James

Dear James

I can see why you are so ingtrigued by this strange story. It has the feel of many timeslip cases that I have come across - that personally baffling, logically nonsensical yet somehow convincing narrative.

It does match other cases in many details, but also has some stand out differences that either make it the best case of its type or disquieting.

The most obvious of these is the receipt. Make sure he keeps hold of that and that you get a photcopy. Physical evidence from a timeslip is almost unheard of. It can, for example, be carbon dated. The age of the paper will reveal whether this slip really dates to 1993 or 1943.

Another question is what happened to the extracted fuel? Are we to assume that the mechanic on hearing this story and recognising it as a commodity no longer available simply dispensed with it? Was it retained/checked/analysed? Again this is vital potential evidence regarding the nature of this case.

The case matches timeslips most obviously in the way that it happened - the summer weather (was it hot?), the long drive, potential for highay hypnosis (and aterted state of consciousness). Most timeslips appear to be at least partly visionary in nature rather than actual journeys into the past. Thats why the physical components are a little out of synch.

In fact there are only a couple of other cases that feature the same level of interaction - the French hotel stay case being such a glaring departure from the norm that I still have trouble with it despite the witnesses coming over as persuasive. But just like that one there are two identical concerns that strike me that aso crop up in thay case (I presume that you know the one that I mean?)

If this man is from the 1940s, or early 1950s, then would he not find the modern money that they gave him odd and what of their (to him) highly futuristic motorcar?

Since these issues are in the few timeslip cases like this one then they are not damning indictments, but they are problems that need to be incorporated into any understanding of the case.

Often in such cases, BTW, witnesses notice an oddity about the atmosphere - a silvery sheen or mist and/or electrical activity in the air. These may be factors in the process causing the phenomenon to happen; although it is hard to say.I have around 300 cases on file and it may be too early to make broad assumptions as to what is going on. Especially as, whilst I am myself persuaded that some kind of time slip phenomenon can occur, it seems relatively rare and some of these 300 cases certainly do/will have mundane explanations.

What possible answers might exist in this case? Well, the story indicates a pretty good attempt to verify the existence of the gas station. If the physical evidence was not there you might almost go for the possibility of a daydream in the highway hypnosis state in which the desire for a gas station was acted out with the oddity inherent within the subconscious. That seems a stretch in this case, made less likely with the other witness (any chance of getting that back up report - obviously something that transforms this case if so). Moreover the physical factors would rule it out entirely.

You might also wonder if there was any chance of a wrong road taken leading to a backwoods gas station. But again this is made less likely by the apparent assurance of locals that no such station existed.

The key to the case probably is firstly verifying the physical evidence. If the paper used for the receipt is modern then its not a timeslip, the search for the gas station then just becomes a mimor mystery. Beyond that the records for the area would surely indicate whether there ever was a gas station on that road - someone at the local library/history society might help. Even an internet search might be possible. Establishing whether there was a real gas station at any point in time on that road will demonstrate whether it is even theoretically possible to have timeslipped to visit the place.

The 7th of March I recieved this, after which Mr. Ellis stopped answering correspondence:

Hi David,
The more I think about your story, the more intrigued I am to find out what happened.
The key to the whole story would seem to lie with the receipt, if it can be found.
As Jenny said, carbon dating would be the way forward. We'd be happy to pay for the process here at Metro if you could dig the copy out.
All best
James

Haven´t heard from him since, despite several letters. I´m not trying to implicate Mr. Ellis is not what he claimed to be. It´s quite possible he was the genuine article, and just disappointed the story didn´t fit the "time slip" category he seemed interested in. My only reason for posting our conversation here is for information purposes for this board.

More later.

Best regards! /David

Is this Jenny Randles' bag? Ive only ever come across her in connection with ufo reports and BUFORA.

Although it appears she has written at least one book on the matter - Time Storms.

Jenny Randles Comments

The comments by Jenny Randles are very interesting, it’s worth a look at her entry at Amazon to see how many books & what subjects she has written. As Henry says there are a large number on UFO & related subjects. (I remember years ago reading the book about ‘Spontaneous Human Combustion’ I wonder if this is well known on the Forum, if indeed it has become a burning issue yet? ) Sorry! Very Sorry! :oops:
However I was surprised that Jenny seems to discount & devalue any suggested ‘solution’ to the Transdimensional other than a time slip. Indeed she says:

If the paper used for the receipt is modern then its not a time slip, the search for the gas station then just becomes a mimor [minor presumably?] mystery.

I don't think that if it isn't a time slip then it becomes of less interest or importance ... just different. It could be, as several members have suggested another dimension intruding on ours, or vice versa.

Regards Tony

Aouroborous said:
OK, here´s the first mail from Ellis, dated 2 march, 2006 (Aren´t there a lot of coincidences here, or is it only me - it´s 2nd of march, 2007 today...)

Oh, okay! I've refrained from mentioning it so far but...

You've been time-slipping again - this time into the future. It's the 1st of March today - not the 2nd!

Carry on.

So it is....heh! Been spending way to much time at the lab... Should try to get in touch with the real world now and again... /D

Time Slip

David, I seem to remember that you didn't think your experience came under this definition of 'Time Slip' & that you had another supposition, is that still the case?

Regards Tony

Re: Time Slip

Tony1943AS said:
David, I seem to remember that you didn't think your experience came under this definition of 'Time Slip' & that you had another supposition, is that still the case?

Regards Tony
Well, if you allow the possibility of a slip backwards through time, then surely a slip "sideways" into another nearby reality is no less likely? It might even explain why the attendant was not taken aback by the dates on the money.

Sorry - I know you weren't asking me!

Maybe the attendant wasn't waving you goodbye but trying to stop you - for giving him strange coins instead of <his world> real money!

Tony1943AS said:

Regards Tony

Well, I cant say I have a conflicting theory, but I just cant really find anything that would indicate a slip back into the past. I mean, yes, the gas station and the "attendant" was pretty old-fashioned, but also shabby and worn-down. There just wasn´t anything out of the ordinary that shouted "this is not the present", such as a brand-new Volvo PV, or people wearing fedoras and trenchcoats, you know?

What im trying to say is that while there were some old-fashioned stuff there (a memory of one of these enamel tin cans with Turtle wax just resurfaced, dont know if I made it up or not), it all looked as if it had been there for a long time. Does that make sense?

/D

PS. Another memory is of an old poster, an ad for some car product or another. One of these with a smiling, mustashioed cartoon guy on it, you know. It was definitely not new, badly bleached and yellowed by the sun, corners curling away, and paper all crinkled up, like it had been exposed to moisture. I´ll see if I can find it online somewhere - there must be sites dedicated to this kinda stuff, no? DS

PLEASE FIND THAT RECEIT! There's something weird and wonderful going on here!

Aouroborous said:
What im trying to say is that while there were some old-fashioned stuff there (a memory of one of these enamel tin cans with Turtle wax just resurfaced, dont know if I made it up or not), it all looked as if it had been there for a long time. Does that make sense?

...Another memory is of an old poster, an ad for some car product or another. One of these with a smiling, mustashioed cartoon guy on it, you know. It was definitely not new, badly bleached and yellowed by the sun, corners curling away, and paper all crinkled up, like it had been exposed to moisture. I´ll see if I can find it online somewhere - there must be sites dedicated to this kinda stuff, no? DS
Auro, you make it sound like a film set. Did it have that quality to it?

Back