• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Transit Of Venus (2004)

I've been watching it with the aid of eclipse viewing silver glasses that I got for the total in '99.

Had half the office queueing up for a look earlier :)

Venus has just started moving off the edge of the solar disc now.

I tried but couldn't see it.

I didn't get any eclipse specs so I didn't have any of those to use.

I tried the pinhole which worked well with the eclipse but no good here. I ended up shining it off a mirror and on to the wall of the house. I couldn't keep it steady enough.

I slept through it.

One of my friends is a known dodgy type businessman, full of money-making schemes. I was quite amused to note that his dad was selling "venus transit viewers" in town for £6 a go...:cool:

A heat haze covered the sky again for most of late morning.:( My pants binoculars gave me a fuzzy view, showing Venus up as a shadowy patch.
All the while, my big refractor telescope was languishing in my parents loft.:hmph:

Great pic, Mr P!

I missed the begining and end due to cloud, but there were some good moments in the middle. I took this using my old refractor and a projection screen.

lemonpie said:
I didn't know Venus was shaped like a lorry.

It's a transit van. You see, cos like, the "transit" of..........oh, just pass me the coat and I'll be on my way......

Lovely weather up here. Got a pretty good view just by looking out my bedroom window. Hooray for eclipse viewers!

Although I'm slightly worried about the fact it says 'not for use after August 1999' on the back >_>

Although I'm slightly worried about the fact it says 'not for use after August 1999' on the back

Hehehe - mine said that too... it's just that they want people to buy more viewers rather than looking after the ones they've already got and using them again. There's no profit in recyclers.

I use mine to watch sunspots too.

well i went to brera observatory this morning. brera is a neighborhood in the poshest part of milan. it's where brera gallery is, in case any of you have been to milan (piero della francesca, raffaello, caravaggio etc.). so, on top of this xvi century building is the observatory. i looked at the sun in the telescope and saw venus and was amazed.
but then i looked around and saw this gorgeous flat. with these huge windows. and a garden on top. and another garden at ground level. and i asked the woman from the observatory, <whose flat is that?>
<flat? you mean whose palace>
<er... palace? you mean the whole 3-story, 2-garden building?>
<yes. that's giorgio armani's house>
that was my personal eclipse today.
f*cking taylors.

am on the commitee of an astronomy society, so we had a big event thing to view it and take pictures and things.

i got on BBC midlands today actually! they were interviewing a lecturer at my uni (who actually had nothing to do with the event, and for that reason really really didn't want to be interviewed), and we were in the background. in case anyone saw it, i was on the left in the blue dress, looking in my bag. :cool:

there will be some images we took on our website at some point
http://www.astrosoc.org.uk

Back