• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Travelling Fortean

TheGord

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The circumstances of my employment often send me to all corners of our isle. The guide in the last edition of FT notwithstanding, would anyone be interested in me giving my approximate location on specific dates and perhaps guiding me to nearby sites of interest.

I might be persuaded to post pictures of locations that others are interested in for research purposes.

Its just for fun! :)

I can give you some ideas for visits if you can give me at least a few days notice, as I don't visit the forum every day. I have a number of books detailing places of high weirdness in the UK, and have access to more at work, and I'm sure many others will add ideas, and possibly their own itineraries. Let me know where you're off to next and I'll see if I can dig anything up.

H_James said:
try this thread.

And if there is an area you are specifically interested feel free to bump the relevant thread asking for info (or start one if one doesn't exist) - you'd be suprised at the information people have tucked away.

I can offer my services as a personal guide around the metropolis of London; however, I suspect I'm not the only one.
I'm sure I shan't have to remind you of TheVectian and my expertise on the Isle of Wight, as well as it's own Fortean Society.

Rosslyn chapel!

Just been to Rosslyn for the first time. I meant to put a post here first but forgot. :shock:

Even more fascinating than I expected, spent a couple of hours just nosing around. I particularly liked the carvings of american maize over the archway to the sachistry - carved a hundred years before columbus! A truly fortean place, so much of it goes against accepted history.

Bought a cast of one of the green men - the one on the boss over the altars. Disappointed now as the small print indicates that it is "unsuitable for outdoor use". Ah well, no scaring the locals by putting it on my front door then. ;)

Ye Olde Trip to Jerulsalem

Ok, its been a while since my last post, but I've just been to this, the oldest inn in england (is there an oldest scottish, irish or welsh one?). Great ales and a eerie sense of history, espeically in the sections hollowed out of the rock beneath nottingham castle.

Thats my last one of 2005, but I will have a chance to visit to cambridgeshire/huntingdon area in January 2006.

Any ideas? :?:

Re: Ye Olde Trip to Jerulsalem

TheGord said:
Ok, its been a while since my last post, but I've just been to this, the oldest inn in england (is there an oldest scottish, irish or welsh one?).

In issue 200 there there were quite a few mentions of pubs along these lines. Forteans and pubs? Its a novel idea but I'm unsure it'll catch on.

Traveller....

Vibracobra said:
I can give you some ideas for visits if you can give me at least a few days notice, as I don't visit the forum every day. I have a number of books detailing places of high weirdness in the UK, and have access to more at work, and I'm sure many others will add ideas, and possibly their own itineraries. Let me know where you're off to next and I'll see if I can dig anything up.

I know its been a while - but Ive a couple of days in Stirling next week - any ideas? Im going to visit the settle pub of course....

Re: Traveller....

TheGord said:
Vibracobra said:

I know its been a while - but Ive a couple of days in Stirling next week - any ideas? Im going to visit the settle pub of course....

Going today, any ideas? Im probably not going to have time to go down to edinburgh, so thats out! :)

Back