The Troll's Head

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Spent four days in hospital there with a fairly serious gall bladder infection.

I mean... honestly... WTF...

So... am buying a round here...

See there's a new wine in town... fetch forthwith good barkeep...

Screenshot_20191125_111742_compress8_resize_50.jpg

Oh... izzat some more new arrivals in my absence...

Screenshot_20191125_112338_compress82_resize_31.jpg

Screenshot_20191125_111934_compress71_resize_9.jpg

Ye couldnae stick in a few drops of yonder, 'Blood of the Undead' as well.....

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Comfy i hope you are feeling better dear *hugs* You stay wrapped up and warm, with a nice cuppa. There are some nice bottles there

*leaves some Battenburg and a toasted almond cocktail* Not sure if you would like it, if not chuck it and i'll get you something else, you will be waited on hand and foot :D

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
*leaves some Battenburg and a toasted almond cocktail* Not sure if you would like it, if not chuck it and i'll get you something else, you will be waited on hand and foot :D
How very kind of you - that would be delightful...:bthumbup:

It's only now kinda sinking in...

Went to the doctors - excruciating abdominal pains.

Doctor duly examined, 'Any discomfort if I press here...'?

I nearly went through the fecking roof.

Next thing I know, Doctor's called for an ambulance and it's off to the Borders General Hospital.

Straight into ITU (Intensive Therapy Unit, alias Intensive Care) and suddenly have more tubes than the Glasgow Underground.

On discharge, asked of the Senior Physician, 'Wondered... how serious was that...?

'James, you have just sailed closer to the wind, than Ellen MacArthur ever did...'.

Aye... beginning to realise...

:reap:

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Next thing I know, Doctor's called for an ambulance and it's off to the Borders General Hospital.

Straight into ITU (Intensive Therapy Unit, alias Intensive Care) and suddenly have more tubes than the Glasgow Underground.

On discharge, asked of the Senior Physician, 'Wondered... how serious was that...?

'James, you have just sailed closer to the wind, than Ellen MacArthur ever did...'.

Wow!

Nice to still have you around :group:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
@Comfortably Numb congratulations and phew! I had the damn thing removed and my toes are curling in empathy at what you've just done!
Thank you for sharing. :)

Was so drugged with painkillers from IV drips..

Doctor checks on my mental faculties...

'Do you know where you are?'

'Hospital'.

'Do you know where the hospital is?'

I knew was either in Selkirk or Melrose (correct). Damned if I could decide which one it was...

'Do you know what season it is?'

'Aye, it's summer, obviously...'. :rolleyes:

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

If I may ask, did you have it removed? Mine was taken out by laparoscopic surgery in 2002. I gather that's now the preferred method. The surgeon told me that when the gallbladder starts to cause pain it means it's no longer functioning and should be removed.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
With cave camping ominously impending, been watching cave survival videos on YouTube.

Thought occurred.. should really be capable of making a fire from scratch - no tools, just sticks and perseverance.

Anyone ever tried and succeeded?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
With cave camping ominously impending, been watching cave survival videos on YouTube.
Thought occurred.. should really be capable of making a fire from scratch - no tools, just sticks and perseverance.
Anyone ever tried and succeeded?
Yes, I've done it using the friction method. It takes forever, and it's frustratingly difficult to nurture any hotness into flames, but it does work.

There are such things as ready-made "fire sticks" that generate sparks by striking / scraping them with an attached metal thingie or a pocket knife. This is much faster than using the friction method.

You can make your own DIY fire stick. If you can find them, get a packet of old school cigarette lighter flints (small rods of whatever-it-is). Take a small wooden dowel or similarly rod-like piece of wood of hand-graspable size, then (using a small drill bit or a nail) make a hole in one end of the wooden piece such that you can snugly fit the flint in it with the end exposed. Scrape this bare end of the flint with a pocket knife (or any similar metal object), and you'll get lots of sparks.

Back when I was a Boy Scout I won multiple fire-starting contests using such a DIY fire stick (elapsed times to open flame of no more than a minute), only to be disqualified even though the DIY tip came from Boys' Life (the Boy Scouts magazine). Nonetheless, I continued to do this just to make trouble and to illustrate a better way (which in turn illustrates what kind of kid I was).

I carry at least one good butane lighter with me at all times. Nowadays that's really the best approach. FWIW - Djeep is my (strongly) preferred brand.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, I've done it using the friction method. It takes forever, and it's frustratingly difficult to nurture any hotness into flames, but it does work".
Thanks for taking the time here.

I suspect the blisters on my hands will prove to be a fundamental impediment. :groov:

"You can make your own DIY fire stick. If you can find them, get a packet of old school cigarette lighter flints (small rods of whatever-it-is). Take a small wooden dowel or similarly rod-like piece of wood of hand-graspable size, then (using a small drill bit or a nail) make a hole in one end of the wooden piece such that you can snugly fit the flint in it with the end exposed. Scrape this bare end of the flint with a pocket knife (or any similar metal object), and you'll get lots of sparks".
That might well be a life saving tip!

"Back when I was a Boy Scout I won multiple fire-starting contests using such a DIY fire stick (elapsed times to open flame of no more than a minute), only to be disqualified even though the DIY tip came from Boys' Life (the Boy Scouts magazine). Nonetheless, I continued to do this just to make trouble and to illustrate a better way (which in turn illustrates what kind of kid I was)".
We can imagine you being a right wee scoundrel...

Screenshot_20191128_180126_compress55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... We can imagine you being a right wee scoundrel...
I was the founder and leader of the troop's subgroup into which all the outsiders, oddballs and weirdos (geeks, nerds, etc.) gravitated - the Vampire Bat patrol.

And yes - since nobody paid us much attention (as idealized / conventional he-boy Scouts) we got away with all sorts of odd shenanigans.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this.

It's just that, rarely we inadvertently come across something which is so, massively, spirituality uplifting.

Peter the elephant - 80 years old at the time of filming - has been blind for many years.

Hope you enjoy.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

A large yorkie pud with bubble & squeak in a bowl, topped with a drizzle of curry sauce. Oh and a pint of Ordinary thanks

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Chef...

Seeing as it's St. Andrew's day, ye couldnae maybe wrestle up my local version of, 'bubble and squeak'?

I'm payin' so enough fir everyone please.

If ye need a haund...

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Not atm ta, but I'll have a bowl of chilled frothy jelly with a thick layer of butterscotch Angle delight on top later though.

In the mean time a mug of black tea & a pile of toast please.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Not atm ta, but I'll have a bowl of chilled frothy jelly with a thick layer of butterscotch Angle delight on top later though.

In the mean time a mug of black tea & a pile of toast please.
You might be safer with the molten gold...