The Troll's Head

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Terrific news!

Any pix of Stanley. :)

When my last cat was getting really old, she started going blind. The vet said they could, 'reattach part of the retina', or something similar.

We couldn't understand how that was possible, however, they did perform a miracle and gave her at least manageable vision for another couple of years.

You have reminded of the day I went to settle our account. The receptionist duly obliged and went into an adjoining office.

She was away for ages and eventually came out for a moment to inform...

'I will be with you shortly, just waiting for the sixth page of your bill to finish printing..'.
This is the little chap when he was first bandaged. Apologies for the state of the floor, but you know what happens with us blokes when we don't have a woman's guiding touch :)

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=99e60f05bdfa0380f8829c90833bf364&oe=5EF0BEBC

It's a link - It's too big to upload.

Cochise

Reaction score
That Hofner, Can you show a picture of the machine head ?

I want to compare the script style with my Hofner Guitar (1960s)
Unfortunately its not a Hofner, it's an Epiphone Viola bass.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Unfortunately its not a Hofner, it's an Epiphone Viola bass.
Equally unfortunate is the fact that my Hofner is, I believe, a Japanese copy.

I bought it in Aden way back, but I then found out that the name Hofner on the original is in a kind of italic script. where mine is standard.

But I still have it (slightly twisted neck and all) after all this time.

Cochise

Reaction score

I bought it in Aden way back, but I then found out that the name Hofner on the original is in a kind of italic script. where mine is standard.

If it's playable don't worry about the neck. My favourite bass is a Fender Precision ca. 1978 (my wife bought it for me second hand in 1984) and it has a slightly twisted neck.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's still playable. I have to be a bit careful about avoiding 'buzzing' in some parts of the neck.
Not long after I bought it someone knocked it off the table it was on. Broke the neck clean out.

We managed to get it back in place and used Araldite to glue it in.

Needs a new bridge making for it some day.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This is the little chap when he was first bandaged. Apologies for the state of the floor, but you know what happens with us blokes when we don't have a woman's guiding touch :)

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=99e60f05bdfa0380f8829c90833bf364&oe=5EF0BEBC

It's a link - It's too big to upload.
I hope I was thinking about having sex with beautiful women dog girls at the time just to get through that day .. that's what I do .. but not with dog girls, human ones instead.

Cochise

Reaction score
It's still playable. I have to be a bit careful about avoiding 'buzzing' in some parts of the neck.
Not long after I bought it someone knocked it off the table it was on. Broke the neck clean out.

We managed to get it back in place and used Araldite to glue it in.

Needs a new bridge making for it some day.
Mine ended up twisted because it was stored in a shed for a while, temps below freezing are not good for a guitar. But I had other things on my mind at the time.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Now that SpaceX has successfully launched people into space...

I've had an idea for a reality show for the Space Age. Big Brother In Space. Either a space station or a moon dome with limited supplies.

Public vote every few days decides who gets chucked out the airlock. Those left inside get to live a little longer on the air/food/water rations. Finding a way to produce oxygen or food, or recycle water, helps a contestant avoid nomination.

Winner will end up with enough supplies to last until a rescue shuttle arrives (which may or may not arrive, depending on a public vote or viewing figures/ad revenue). Losers end up as pretty meteorite displays. Could have a tracking website that'll tell people when and where a celeb is about to re-enter the atmosphere.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Now that SpaceX has successfully launched people into space...

I've had an idea for a reality show for the Space Age. Big Brother In Space. Either a space station or a moon dome with limited supplies.

Public vote every few days decides who gets chucked out the airlock. Those left inside get to live a little longer on the air/food/water rations. Finding a way to produce oxygen or food, or recycle water, helps a contestant avoid nomination.

Winner will end up with enough supplies to last until a rescue shuttle arrives (which may or may not arrive, depending on a public vote or viewing figures/ad revenue). Losers end up as pretty meteorite displays. Could have a tracking website that'll tell people when and where a celeb is about to re-enter the atmosphere.
I'd watch that.

Swifty

Reaction score
Some bastard's robbed our jukebox .. I've re wired the old one up to the wall for now until mods review our CCTV footage ..

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
*Goes behind bar & acquires a selection of Leffe bottles, goes and sits by the fire side with a good book.* It's great that these comfy chairs have a built in "Waiters' Friend". *Opens a bottle, lights up a fag & continues to read*

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Afternoon... I'll have a flagon of the newly brewed ale, you can smell from yonder hills.

So, I was wondering if it was possible to converse in runic, like our ancestors.

I am using the Android app:

'Write in Runic: Rune Writer & Keyboard'

All that seems necessary is copying the runic text to a notebook. On Android, 'ColorNote' is unbeatable and is perfectly happy with runic characters.

The app then offers a translation back to English and all seems fine.

Thus, should anyone wish to try same and converse (select and copy runic text into app and choose, 'Reverse transcription' from menu)...

ᛚᛖᛏ᛫ᚢᛊ᛫ᚱᚨᛁᛊᛖ᛫ᚨ᛫ᛏᛟᚨᛊᛏ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᛟᚢᚱ᛫ᚷᛚᛟᚢᚱᛁᛟᚢᛊ᛫ᛈᚨᛊᛏ!

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
'Arrives at bar, sits down, demands large JD on the rocks'

After being served, decides to bore friends.

Today has been, let us say, a day of mixed fortunes. I had to take Stanley Terrier to the hospital for 9:00, which meant leaving at 7:30. However I was a bit sleepless last night so fortunately we went to the car (Saab no. 5, of the earlier Saabs two are still providing spares - i'm not a multi millionaire , you can pick them up for under GBP500) somewhat early.

Not start , just faint clicking. Oh ho, I thought, I can out wit you, oh recalcitrant one. I have one of these big capacitor jobbies that if charged up can provide sufficient kick to start a car with a dead battery. And so it was.

And we made it to the hospital without me stalling the car, but also without me being able to stop for a pee as it would use up a restart. And the Hospital was good, and young Stanley is moving on to the next stage of his cure to strengthen up his leg without the splint.

You might think a 12 year old dog is no 'young dog' but if you are happy to convey that news to him ... well, wear riggers gloves.

However I know this capacitor jobbie will only work a small number of times, so was forced to cancel my meet up with my mate who is trapped in a 3rd floor flat - meeting would be in the open , of course.

Sooo - I get back much earlier than intended , and decide 'this is a good time to pick up my pristine top of the range Saab 93 Aero HOT from my friendly garage who have finally after two years got it fixed up and MOT'd'

And it is done, despite the fact that said friend has charged me GBP1600 to fix up a car worth maybe GBP1000. I drive it around a bit, then head home - I may have had it back for maybe 30-45 minutes at this point. I think I will top it off with petrol. Living in the sticks you do this. And again it is made to happen, and I go in the shop to pay.

AND WHILE I AM IN THERE SOME F***er WORKING FOR THE GARAGE , HAVING BEEN ASKED BY A LITTLE OLD LADY TO MOVE HER CAR FOR NO APPARENT REASON EXCEPT SHE IS SENILE, BACKS THE EFFING THING FULL TILT INTO MY CAR.

The problem with this is a) it is not on the road, b) the guy from the garage should not have driven a car that was not booked in, so they are denying liability. c) the little old lady, who suddenly became unable to speak English , says its the garage's fault because their man was driving the car (which to be fair I'm inclined to agree with). d) my car will be written off and any future classic value it will acquire (prices for the GM Saabs are starting to rise) will be destroyed because it will have a write-off on its record.

And I can probably do f-all about it because the legal complications would make Jarndyce vs Jarndyce look like a magistrates court adjudicating on a speeding fine.

For the rest of the day I am not leaving the house, will regard all electrical items with extreme suspicion, and will hold on tight to the rail when ascending or descending stairs.

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
See what I mean? No chance of sorting this out.

Dear (names removed),

I refer to the above and the collision that occurred on the Garage forecourt at approx. 14.15 hrs on Tuesday the 9th June 2020. I have the following details for both parties:

The circumstances of the accident are that The old lady pulled up on the forecourt on pump 5 and had gone past the pump nozzles. She went into the store and requested that a member of staff reverse the car and fill it with fuel. The employee who received the request was A Garage Employee. He was not authorised by the company to move or drive the vehicle. He went to the vehicle (an automatic), placed it in reverse, causing the car to reverse at speed causing damage to the vehicle front offside door, pump housing of pump no 5 and subsequently collided with the nearside of the Saab causing further damage to the rear nearside of the Polo. As stated he acted on his own volition, deciding to accede to the request made by The Old Lady the owner of the Automatic V W Polo and was not authorised to move or drive any vehicle on behalf of the company.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
See what I mean? No chance of sorting this out.

Dear (names removed),

I refer to the above and the collision that occurred on the Garage forecourt at approx. 14.15 hrs on Tuesday the 9th June 2020. I have the following details for both parties:

The circumstances of the accident are that The old lady pulled up on the forecourt on pump 5 and had gone past the pump nozzles. She went into the store and requested that a member of staff reverse the car and fill it with fuel. The employee who received the request was A Garage Employee. He was not authorised by the company to move or drive the vehicle. He went to the vehicle (an automatic), placed it in reverse, causing the car to reverse at speed causing damage to the vehicle front offside door, pump housing of pump no 5 and subsequently collided with the nearside of the Saab causing further damage to the rear nearside of the Polo. As stated he acted on his own volition, deciding to accede to the request made by The Old Lady the owner of the Automatic V W Polo and was not authorised to move or drive any vehicle on behalf of the company.
I don't think the garage can wash their hands of it that easily. He was their employee acting vicariously on their behalf. Get legal advice or at least take them to the small claims court.

In this guide
Going to small claims court
You can use the small claims process for most contractual consumer problems, ranging from unfairly issued parking tickets to retailers who refuse to take responsibility for their faulty goods.

There is a claim value limit that varies dependant on where you are in the UK.

The total you can claim in England and Wales is £10,000, in Scotland it's £5,000 and in Northern Ireland it's £3,000.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-use-the-small-claims-court

Cochise

Reaction score
I don't think the garage can wash their hands of it that easily. He was their employee acting vicariously on their behalf. Get legal advice or at least take them to the small claims court.

In this guide
Going to small claims court
You can use the small claims process for most contractual consumer problems, ranging from unfairly issued parking tickets to retailers who refuse to take responsibility for their faulty goods.

There is a claim value limit that varies dependant on where you are in the UK.

The total you can claim in England and Wales is £10,000, in Scotland it's £5,000 and in Northern Ireland it's £3,000.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-use-the-small-claims-court
Thanks, Ramon - it may come to that. I think the old lady (I do have her details) is reasonably justified in that she asked someone who she presumed was skilled to move her car. If the garage had trained their staff insufficiently to move a car (or to refuse to do so) I think the calumny should fall on them.

Cochise

Reaction score

Sorry, missed that. My favourite bass is a 1978 Fender Precision that my wife bought me the first year we were going out. I don't know how and didn't like to ask since we were stony broke at the time. It also has a slightly twisted neck but it actually doesn't affect its playability. It also has a brass nut which is unusual at that time.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sorry, missed that. My favourite bass is a 1978 Fender Precision that my wife bought me the first year we were going out. I don't know how and didn't like to ask since we were stony broke at the time. It also has a slightly twisted neck but it actually doesn't affect its playability. It also has a brass nut which is unusual at that time.
Maybe somewhere in a ditch lies the decomposing body of a bass player also with a slightly twisted neck.

Cochise

Reaction score
Maybe somewhere in a ditch lies the decomposing body of a bass player also with a slightly twisted neck.
I don't think she would have killed for it. But I'm not 100% sure. I still have the vision before me of her putting a stiletto heel clean through the foot of a wannabe mugger one night back about 1984.

Swifty

Reaction score
I don't think she would have killed for it. But I'm not 100% sure. I still have the vision before me of her putting a stiletto heel clean through the foot of a wannabe mugger one night back about 1984.
I once watched the Mrs trap someone in a car door while she was trying to escape. Brutal. :badge:.. wannabe man stealer.

Cochise

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me commenting that that, in a non-typical way, is incredibly romantic.
I absolutely loved her to bits. She was neither a feminist nor a 'girly'girl. She was her own person to the full. Cancer took her. Bastard thing.

Last edited: