The Troll's Head

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I don't know if it is just me but I feel like I'm in an alternate - and thoroughly unpleasant - reality. Alice through the looking glass ain't in it.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Wanders in, bleary-eyed from researching newspaper archives...

Ah, thank you my dear friend bartender, just perfect!

Jukebox... something laid back, or your shout?

...why are all your lights flashing...

Cochise

Reaction score
A posting in another conversation got me thinking about my wife, and somewhere I found these words, probably from a poem or song lyrics

"The sun has gone down. There may still be laughter with friends, but the sun has gone down'

As I've said elsewhere , it doesn't heal. Perhaps more so because the particular cancer she had was hereditary in her family, but no-one had joined up the dots till after she was diagnosed - by which time it was too late. And perhaps because we didn't manage to have children.

Edit: Here we are

46443392_2370639626293102_4708925628492021760_o.jpg

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
A posting in another conversation got me thinking about my wife, and somewhere I found these words, probably from a poem or song lyrics

"The sun has gone down. There may still be laughter with friends, but the sun has gone down'

As I've said elsewhere , it doesn't heal. Perhaps more so because the particular cancer she had was hereditary in her family, but no-one had joined up the dots till after she was diagnosed - by which time it was too late. And perhaps because we didn't manage to have children.

Edit: Here we are

View attachment 27272
*punches Cochise in the arm* .. mate, some dickhead's just left 20p in the jukebox...

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
*punches Cochise in the arm* .. mate, some dickhead's just left 20p in the jukebox...

That is one of my absolute favourites :) Used to have it as the ring tone on my phone

Swifty

Reaction score
That is one of my absolute favourites :) Used to have it as the ring tone on my phone
I think you'd enjoy watching this film .. rebel yell is featured in it but it's about the sister of a boy who stands up for him and becomes a state hero for running from the police .. a wicked film ..

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Well i asked my SiL to give my number to a friend on FB so i can add her on Whatsapp, i get a phone call from my SiL to ask if i am ok, apparently the girl had told her i was dead, what had happened was, my SiL sent her a text saying, 'Jules said can you add her to whatsapp', i had already given SiL my phone number to pass onto her, now my SiL found out later, as she phoned me back a few minutes after, apparently the phone had autocorrected and sent, 'Jules is dead, can you add her to whatsapp', so from there the rumour started, i accepted her whatsapp request and she asked how i was, and i told her 'i am a lot better now im not dead'

Ive been busy reading , lots of Stargate books, 59, and some Andy McNab ones, i really get into books, my friend gave me her Kindle Fire, and i actually got it up and working, i do much prefer real books, but ive realised, like a lot of peeps have on here have said that it is a good thing, and whomever said that, are correct
So, how are you all good peeps doing?

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
This is the little chap when he was first bandaged. Apologies for the state of the floor, but you know what happens with us blokes when we don't have a woman's guiding touch :)

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=99e60f05bdfa0380f8829c90833bf364&oe=5EF0BEBC

It's a link - It's too big to upload.
Awwwwwwww he is a cute lil shit, so adorable bless him, give him a cuddle from me please :D
Thanks, Ramon - it may come to that. I think the old lady (I do have her details) is reasonably justified in that she asked someone who she presumed was skilled to move her car. If the garage had trained their staff insufficiently to move a car (or to refuse to do so) I think the calumny should fall on them.
It's her car, it's her responsibility to take care of it, he was not insured to get in her car and move it, so she was in fact, not covered when he caused the accident, and if she is that senile should she be driving? So your best bet is small claims court, as the insurance will say no, he had no right to be in the car. I hope you get your money dear, that must have made your heart sink when it happened

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Well i asked my SiL to give my number to a friend on FB so i can add her on Whatsapp, i get a phone call from my SiL to ask if i am ok, apparently the girl had told her i was dead, what had happened was, my SiL sent her a text saying, 'Jules said can you add her to whatsapp', i had already given SiL my phone number to pass onto her, now my SiL found out later, as she phoned me back a few minutes after, apparently the phone had autocorrected and sent, 'Jules is dead, can you add her to whatsapp', so from there the rumour started, i accepted her whatsapp request and she asked how i was, and i told her 'i am a lot better now im not dead'

Ive been busy reading , lots of Stargate books, 59, and some Andy McNab ones, i really get into books, my friend gave me her Kindle Fire, and i actually got it up and working, i do much prefer real books, but ive realised, like a lot of peeps have on here have said that it is a good thing, and whomever said that, are correct
So, how are you all good peeps doing?
Glad to hear you're no longer dead!

Cochise

Reaction score
Latest Stanley Terrier update:

At recent visits to the teaching hospital he has just had his bandage changed. Today they did an X-Ray and I'm amazed at the progress.

Bear in mind he had broken EVERY toe in his paw.

They could not operate because his little toe (in human terms) was absolutely shattered and the other breaks were too near to joints to pin. The surgeon came out to me to explain this today.Which I appreciated very much. It was nothing to do with his age.

The X-Ray showed his bones are healing, amazingly growing back towards each other , and at least two toes should be functional.

His paw might be slightly deformed but he will be able to use it.

Great news.

Cochise

Reaction score
Awwwwwwww he is a cute lil shit, so adorable bless him, give him a cuddle from me please :D
It's her car, it's her responsibility to take care of it, he was not insured to get in her car and move it, so she was in fact, not covered when he caused the accident, and if she is that senile should she be driving? So your best bet is small claims court, as the insurance will say no, he had no right to be in the car. I hope you get your money dear, that must have made your heart sink when it happened
It was certainly annoying! I had to walk around the forecourt until I cooled down. But yes, i'm a bit sad as well, the car was in lovely condition. Still, its driveable. And no-one got hurt.

Swifty

Reaction score
Next band's booked for the Trolls ..

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
^^Do they play Mustang Sally? I ask this because before lockdown a friend's local pub frequently booked live bands for Friday evenings. Different bands played there but they all included Mustang Sally as part of their set. My friend can't stand the song. He commented only half in jest that each band's contract must include a clause requiring them to play that song.

Cochise

Reaction score
This could maybe go in the interesting facts rather than Troll's Head, but while I was talking to the (brilliant ) Liverpool Small Animal Teaching Hospital, they confirmed that dogs do have 'handedness' like humans. Except the split between the right pawed and the left pawed is more even. Stan is very obviously 'leftpawed'. Because his damaged paw is on the left and you can see him instinctively trying to use his left paw until he realises its not going to work while it is bandaged.

Cochise

Reaction score
^^Do they play Mustang Sally? I ask this because before lockdown a friend's local pub frequently booked live bands for Friday evenings. Different bands played there but they all included Mustang Sally as part of their set. My friend can't stand the song. He commented only half in jest that each band's contract must include a clause requiring them to play that song.
Having said which, I really like Mustang Sally. :cool:

But that doesn't mean I'd like to hear it EVERY Friday.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Having said which, I really like Mustang Sally. :cool:

But that doesn't mean I'd like to hear it EVERY Friday.
I could tolerate that if The Terry Twins were singing it. For a while.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Having been a musician in the Sixties / Seventies ...

"Mustang Sally" was always a very popular song with the audience. At that time I assumed it resulted from the song being relatively unique in its slower, dragging funk beat. This made it quite "dance-able" compared to other tunes - especially for those customers who were getting progressively dis-coordinated as the evening wore on. Another soul tune that was endlessly popular and exhibiting the same dragging funky tempo was "Knock on Wood."

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
This could maybe go in the interesting facts rather than Troll's Head, but while I was talking to the (brilliant ) Liverpool Small Animal Teaching Hospital, they confirmed that dogs do have 'handedness' like humans. Except the split between the right pawed and the left pawed is more even. Stan is very obviously 'leftpawed'. Because his damaged paw is on the left and you can see him instinctively trying to use his left paw until he realises its not going to work while it is bandaged.
I grew up with a series of animals over the years, including one beagle who was definitely 'leftpawed'.

Since the split between left and right side dominance is more even in dogs, would that mean that left side dominance is not a recessive trait in canines as it is in humans? I recall reading somewhere that 'handedness' also occurs in equines but I don't know if that's true.

Cochise

Reaction score
Stan just had his dressing changed today. He seems to be zonked out by the sedation though. Definitely not the full shilling at the moment.

Cochise

Reaction score
He's come round now and he keeps crying. I mean it really sounds like crying and not normal dog whining. If he is still doing it in the morning I'll have to call the hospital. It's tearing me apart - I hate to see animals suffering.

Edit: The annual cull of failed house marten fledglings also upsets me terribly. I know they are no hopers, but they are tiny little lives and I have to dispatch them when their parents kick them out of the nest.

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
Well, we're back. Stan's got his bandage off permanently now. Which at least means he can go out when its not dry. He's limping quite badly, but that I think is a combination of having to stop his painkiller and the loss of support of the bandage. They tell me his leg muscles and tendons will need strengthening up again because he won't have been able to use them in the bandage, all the movement was from the shoulder.

We're going to have a verbal consult every week and take him back for another X-ray in a month.

His paw doesn't look too bad, though obviously a bit deformed. He'll never win Crufts now. (His grandsire did, Welsh Terrier class). I'll miss the smashing neat way he used to trot along, but it could have been much worse.

(I don't think he could win at Crufts anyway because a) we never had any inclination towards dog shows except local fete type things, and b) I don't think neutered dogs are acceptable)