The Troll's Head

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Heard this place had been visited and whilst police found all current restrictions in order, bit of an issue with them congratulating some of the clientele on their realistic Xmas D&D fancy dress.

Incidentally, I take it no substance to rumours that after having investigated the dark recesses of our spirit cellars, they were overcome with fumes and people wearing white protective clothing called in.

A reflective glass of same methinks.

Pondering the question... what is permissible as a parody?

The COVID-19 song parody videos cause a dilemma. This is one example and will prevent the autoload.

noplayhttps://youtu.be/9346KIM7sq4

What do you reckon?

Meantime, jukebox, remind us of the good old days.. what would you play back then, for a chilled weekday evening...? (Shall actually pour a dram for this!)

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Jukebox, got anything Troll related, maybe a bit more upbeat?

You have! With info at the end thinking about Troll kids at Xmas time!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Got the results no cancer! Great. That calls for celebration. He'll have his stitches out on Monday. He's curled up on my left foot as I type.

In the absence of real open pubs within 70 miles of me I feel obliged to maunder on about my love life, since a comment in Weird Sex reminded me of my youth.

Ruth and Jackie. My groupies. Two gorgeous petite blond girls. No better feeling in the world than turning up for a gig with one on each arm.

Jackie didn't go. Ruth did, like a train. Pretty much anywhere. I fell desperately in love with her. But of course, since it was my first real love affair I screwed it up, because I was working full time and the band on top of that took so much of my time i didn't pay her enough attention (during daylight hours, anyway). When she split I was devastated - to the extent that I moved job and town because i couldn't bear seeing her with someone else. And then made an unfortunate marriage on the rebound.

Which of course went terribly wrong after a couple of years, and i went back home. And hooked up with Ruth again, but I managed to screw it up a second time. Not without assistance from my mother - she'd never liked Ruth - or in fact any other girl I went out with. But first time round my Dad will still alive and he thoroughly approved of Ruth. Possibly not unconnected with him bumping in to her one night when she was wearing her black undies and stockings.

I swore off women after the second mess up, until my second wife - a work colleague - got me drunk one night and dragged me off to bed. Not been with anyone else since, though it's 11 years now since i lost her. I've tried internet dating and stuff, but it hasn't worked out. My friend has ventured onto what we might call the commercial market, but that doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, well, you never know what might be round the corner!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the results no cancer! Great. That calls for celebration. He'll have his stitches out on Monday. He's curled up on my left foot as I type. ...
Great news! Good for Stanley! :party:

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Got the results no cancer! Great. That calls for celebration. He'll have his stitches out on Monday. He's curled up on my left foot as I type.
That's actually moved me to tears, I'm so glad for you and Stan. :group: Celebration indeed!

Bartender - a drink for whatever @Cochise wants and something for Stan too if you please.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Excellent news. Our little boy is 13 months and big boy 21 months but I fear the day when they are older and we have the anxious waiting time for such test results. Really pleased for you both!

1607538287032.jpeg

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

In the absence of real open pubs within 70 miles of me I feel obliged to maunder on about my love life, since a comment in Weird Sex reminded me of my youth.

Ruth and Jackie. My groupies. Two gorgeous petite blond girls. No better feeling in the world than turning up for a gig with one on each arm.

Jackie didn't go. Ruth did, like a train. Pretty much anywhere. I fell desperately in love with her. But of course, since it was my first real love affair I screwed it up, because I was working full time and the band on top of that took so much of my time i didn't pay her enough attention (during daylight hours, anyway). When she split I was devastated - to the extent that I moved job and town because i couldn't bear seeing her with someone else. And then made an unfortunate marriage on the rebound.

Which of course went terribly wrong after a couple of years, and i went back home. And hooked up with Ruth again, but I managed to screw it up a second time. Not without assistance from my mother - she'd never liked Ruth - or in fact any other girl I went out with. But first time round my Dad will still alive and he thoroughly approved of Ruth. Possibly not unconnected with him bumping in to her one night when she was wearing her black undies and stockings.

I swore off women after the second mess up, until my second wife - a work colleague - got me drunk one night and dragged me off to bed. Not been with anyone else since, though it's 11 years now since i lost her. I've tried internet dating and stuff, but it hasn't worked out. My friend has ventured onto what we might call the commercial market, but that doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, well, you never know what might be round the corner!
Great to hear that about the hound!

Hope there's something good around the corner for you.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Congrats Cochise for your lil Stan bless his lil heart, drinks all round :D :hug:

And i got a voucher for a fiver from Guinness and suprisingly its not just Guinness that they make, do they take vouchers here?

Cochise

Reaction score
The small dog had his stitches out today. He's happily chomping through his supper. The vets love him, strange little fellow though he is. He will need an operation to remove the cist as a precaution, but he's an absolute inspiration - 13+ and still as energetic as ever - he tried to leap up into the arms of the nurse who looked after him when he was an inpatient. He's always been useless at jumping up - goes up but not forward.

I'm relaxing with a JD and just enjoying watching him all happy.

Cochise

Reaction score
And tonight's live music:

i know about a third of the people on this, in particular my two friends Karen and Naomi from 2:41 and their fellow band member Rob who appears soon after with them . All proceeds to charity.

Cochise

Reaction score
C'mon, folks, the pub is still open and you don't even need to buy 3 quid's worth of chips.

I was as low as I have been for months yesterday. Better today. Let's (virtually) party.

Joni Mitchell (slightly paraphrased)

"Come on down to the Troll's Head party
And I will buy you a bottle of wine
And we'll laugh and toast to nothing and
Smash our empty glasses down
Let's have a round for these freaks and these soldiers
A round for these friends of mine
Let's have another round for the bright red devil, who
Keeps me in this tourist town"

I owe you all a round because this place and the level of intelligent discussion is so important to me in these isolated times, and i appreciate you all no matter how much some of us might disagree in our opinions of the world.

Blue is one of my absolute favourite albums, quite outside my usual run of prog/Hard rock.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you've weathered a dark night, Cochise. They all seem darker than usual this year.

Ask Lloyd to whip up a Choco-Octo for me while I go upstairs to the staff weapons locker. Bracing beverage - small chocolate milkshake radicalized with 8 espresso shots. Jacks the eyelids wide open and muffles all second guesses ... I got policing to do ...

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
{ The creaking of the old elevator doors in the back corridor wafts through the air ... Enola appears in the front room, wearing a neon-hued safety vest with "It Was Me" emblazoned across the chest and toting an obviously heavy bowling ball satchel displaying a large logo entitled "Lemuria Lane Lizards." He plops the satchel on a bar stool, grabs the Choco-Octo mug, chugs the contents in one extended glug-fest, then shoots a menacing stare at each of the other patrons ... }

If anyone inquires, I haven't been in yet today.

Gotta run ... There's barely enough time to get to the overpass.

{Grabs the satchel and scurries out the door ... }

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
*Zebs hauls in a large sack of mince pies and dumps them on the nearest table*

I (and Mr Zebra) also would like to say a hearty 'Happy Christmas' to one and all on this forum, mods and non-mods alike.

1608660842795.png

While it has been a difficult year, this forum is a good place to discuss things and feel connected, especially if one is on their own at the moment. Yes, we have our disagreements from time to time and there are certainly a wide range of views, but that's what makes us human and it would be a boring old world otherwise. I'd like to think that even if we disagree, we're all friends deep down.

:group: :group:

Best wishes to all of you for Christmas and the New Year.

Please bartender make drinks for everyone who wants one, and lob in* one of the mince pies from the sack over there.

*Not literally; the mince pie can be taken floating in the drink or on a separate paper plate, whatever is your choice.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Is that us still open...

In which case, a large vodka with fresh apple juice please and same all round!

Why so... because I was wondering what mixer to add for a change and realised I had never heard of this combination before. :)

Great to hear the snippets of good news and must say the Christmas tree is looking suitably resplendent.

IMG_20201222_221718_resize_1.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's better and I'm looking for some guidance if please possible.

A 9-y-o granddaughter who already has everything conceivable bought by family members.

I have some specified clothes already wrapped up and looking for a last minute, 'stocking filler'.

It has to be available from either local supermarkets, usual high street stores or nearby Argos.

Alternatively, there is a gift shop which sells precious stones, crystals and jewellery, etc.

Something with a witch theme would be perfect!

Any ideas - budget around £20.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... It has to be available from either local supermarkets, usual high street stores or nearby Argos.
Alternatively, there is a gift shop which sells precious stones, crystals and jewellery, etc.
Something with a witch theme would be perfect!
Any ideas - budget around £20.
If most or all the other gifts are 'practical' (e.g., clothing) ...

Make the last stocking stuffer something completely different - fantastic, frivolous and / or exotic.

Given the options listed, I'd suggest a nice stone or crystal that you present as a 'lucky stone' or other vaguely useful / magical keepsake. Perhaps a pendant that 'works' (correlates with or plays off) the color of her hair or eyes?

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Given the options listed, I'd suggest a nice stone or crystal that you present as a 'lucky stone' or other vaguely useful / magical keepsake. Perhaps a pendant that 'works' (correlates with or plays off) the color of her hair or eyes?
That is an absolutely super suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator: