The Troll's Head

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
*Makes drinks, serves with a mince pie.*
Lovely!

IMG_20201223_065427_compress51.jpg

We don't perchance happen to have a deep fat fryer in the kitchen...

Early breakfast is perfecto as one contemplates today's Xmas shopping. It's the last chance saloon, some might say.

Shopping list diligently prepared though and plan is for a guerrilla-like raid. Straight into town, get it and get outta there before anticipated rabid crowds, a cross-fever of last minute Xmas and prerequisite festive panic buying of groceries - in case the supermarkets don't open again on Boxing day - now, of course, exacerbated by an unimaginable magnitude.

Major obstacle... one shall necessarily now be visiting the gift shop which has crystals, precious stones, lovely jewellery, all other manner of sparkly things and spectacular large dragon ornaments you would gleefully fill the house with.

Do not dwell, even for a moment, for 'twill be fatal and exceedingly expensive.

And they have dark corners with lots of hidden shelves... which guard things that temp beyond reason.

Some steely fortification thus required and a large Glenmorangie 10 year old please, my good innkeeper...

Ah... reminds of which:

Note to self - stay away from the delightful Xmas gift sets of whisky miniatures and thoughts of...'surely I deserve, and nobody else is going to buy me one, are they'...

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, seeing as it's you... ok then. *trudges outside and brings in a meat-filled mince pie, held at arms length to avoid getting too close to the non-vegetarian contents*

Happy Christmas!
Yay, thanks, appreciated.

And a Happy Christmas to you too.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
I have now decreed that all further mince pies taken from the sack I brought in shall be either the proper Christmas-type ones (yummy) or the (shudder) meat-filled ones.

Just think of which type you want before reaching into the sack and it shall be yours. Schrodinger's mince pies. In keeping with the situation.

:D

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Can I have the other sort please?
I wonder if you can get a Bovril here as well... :)

[For those uninitiated, back in the pre-apocalypse era, a 'pie and Bovril' was the staple half-time diet at Scottish football matches!].

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Advice wanted. Does anyone know anything one can do with Heinz Cream of Chicken soup to make it taste less like sick? Maybe a couple of teaspoons of Thai fish sauce?

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
We buy Lipton's Cream Of Chicken and just put some fresh ground black pepper in and some good quality crackers (as in saltines by Nabisco) ...not too bad.

Nemo

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Chunks of chicken, mushrooms or cooked bacon (not crispy though)?.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Advice wanted. Does anyone know anything one can do with Heinz Cream of Chicken soup to make it taste less like sick? Maybe a couple of teaspoons of Thai fish sauce?
Pour it down the loo and cook a different soup. Sorted!

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Advice wanted. Does anyone know anything one can do with Heinz Cream of Chicken soup to make it taste less like sick?
Hah! Throw it away & get something better tasting in the first place. Covent Garden Classic Chicken is pretty good. Being a tightwad I only buy it when it's half price, when it becomes a good deal.

I'm not a great fan of many Heinz products. Their baked beans to me are horribly sweet & sickly. Aldi or Lidl are about a third of the price & way better imo.

Cochise

Reaction score
It will last pretty much forever in the tins so maybe I just move it to the back of the shelf ready for the next famine.

edit: The reason i have it is that when I was ill in the summer a kind person brought me a present of 6 tins of the stuff. I would feel guilty about throwing it away, but after sampling one tin of course I discovered it is virtually inedible in the mouth of a chicken soup non-believer.

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
Lord of the Ring on the TV. Give me Eowyn any time compared to that wishy washy Arwen Evenstar. No finer quality in a woman than guarding your back.

Cochise

Reaction score
It is a pub, after all, and this is a pub discussion.

Just joined a forum where the rules say 'hate will not be tolerated'. Hmmm. Is there nothing we should hate? Slave owners? Those conducting medical experiments on prisoners? Deliberate warmongers? Those serial killers who are not demented?

I make no political point, merely saying some human behaviour deserves our deepest disgust. The Christian creed demands forgiveness but there is a caveat - first the trespasser must repent.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
There are all too many angles on hate and hatred.

First and foremost ... Given the fact a forum is a (hopefully) structured mass of expressions by its members - all of whom are present only virtually - there's an issue of scope. The forum's enforceable scope of concern, much less control, extends only so far as the expressions a given member may post to the commons (i.e., what all other members may access).

Forum management may police what's publicly expressed, but they cannot police members' hearts.

(A certain cryogenic vault in the Troll's Head basement notwithstanding ... )

To give a local (to our own forum) example ...

A quite active, interesting, knowledgable and eloquent active member was banned some time ago for repeatedly expressing his personal 'hate' toward a particular population defined by religion. He was warned multiple times to stop expressing these particular prejudicial views on the forum, even to the point of temporary bans imposed to hopefully drive home our point. He persisted, and he's no longer with us. It was his incessant expressions of 'hate', rather than his opinions per se, that sealed his fate.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Most, if not all, of your good selves will be familiar with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

Inadvertently came across an early recording of the song, then another much earlier version and subsequently YouTube highlighted a third video, which seems to explain a poignant connection between the first two.
Published online today by BBC Focus on Africa, this is an update to the story and includes a new version, origins of which are explained therein:

Seeking justice for Lion Sleeps Tonight composer

Zimbabwean music mogul Munya Chanetsa felt his hackles rise when he learnt about the royalties battles that have been fought over the song Mbube - also known as The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

It is arguably the world's most famous song about a lion - and for more than eight decades it has made a lot of money for many people around the world.

But the composer of the catchy tune, South African Solomon Linda, died destitute in 1962.

[...]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55333535

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Would the decor benefit from a suitable painting?

I came across the following and thought it might add some further ambience - perhaps above our fireplace? You can imagine it flickering in the light and almost coming to life.

Painted in 1915 byJohn Bauer, it is lovingly entitled:

"Look at them," troll mother said. "Look at my sons! You won't find more beautiful trolls on this side of the moon."

Screenshot_20201229_093714_resize_32.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
@GingerTabby has suggested a gathering of souls here at midnight to celebrate the passing of one dismal year and the onset of another.

Or...something akin...

Anyway, if you trust myself and our veritable jukebox, at preciously midnight, a splendiferous rendition of Auld Lang Syne, by the late Andy Stewart, shall regail us all!

I will have non-virtual dram in hand to toast the New Year. :)