The Troll's Head

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Jukebox, dear friend, first song of 2021.

Something rare, live and exceptional perhaps...?

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Advice wanted. Does anyone know anything one can do with Heinz Cream of Chicken soup to make it taste less like sick? Maybe a couple of teaspoons of Thai fish sauce?
Don't use it as soup. I am assuming that you are definitely talking of cream of chicken and not chicken noodle. I have no clue why anyone would invent cream of chicken:puke2:. Use it for baking a noodle casserole, same way that many people use cream of mushroom soup. Use it to bake chicken in. I'm sure that it'll make the chicken tender. I never buy that soup.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
First opened

First opened the doors 18 years ago last week. Tempus fugit.
Presumably that would be in the old FT related days and I was a subscriber way back then.

I remember a favourite forum pastime was playing at being Pirates!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Don't use it as soup.
Well that's leaving little room for argument! :rofl:

I know what Cochise means and only recently tried it as a pasta sauce - which didn't work.

One solution is to actually add pieces of chicken, because despite the label of contents, it essentially doesn't have any!

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well that's leaving little room for argument! :rofl:

I know what Cochise means and only recently tried it as a pasta sauce - which didn't work.

One solution is to actually add pieces of chicken, because despite the label of contents, it essentially doesn't have any!
I'm wondering if 'cream of chicken' is a euphemism..

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
For next summer .. Diehard always thought ahead ..
I recently purchased a pair of Philips BASS+ headphones, which I am wearing this evening.

That track, with its seriously heavy bass, was epic! :crazy:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
As founder, publican and licencee of these premises, it's drinks on the house for the rest of the week!

Happy new year, you 'orrible lot :) .
Hang on, you mean we’re supposed to pay normally? I think I may have run up a big bar bill...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Philips BASS+ headphones, which I am wearing this evening.

That track, with its seriously heavy bass, was epic! :crazy:
Mate .. I used to go to that club and knew most of the authors .. strap yourself in for massive headphone action ..

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Mate .. I used to go to that club and knew most of the authors .. strap yourself in for massive headphone action ..
Feckin' hell... :chuckle:

Turned it up full volume as well.

That... with these headphones... is absolutely phenomenonal.

Seriously, a new experience.

So, Googled 'Fortean Music' there, as you do after a few drinks and this came up first.

I think it's well worth a shout here...

QuiQui - Fortean (Original Mix)

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Another track Google suggests is:

The Holy Soul - The Fortean Times @ Petersham Bowling Club

No URL being posted.

Look, I personnally have nothing against the venue.

Its just that...'Petersham Bowling Club', how many alarm bells do you need. :droid:

:evil:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Feckin' hell... :chuckle:

Turned it up full volume as well.

That... with these headphones... is absolutely phenomenonal.

Seriously, a new experience.
We used to listen to it at 20,000 K in that club to those same type of tunes that were designed to push the new tech to it's absolute limits, around '95 time . I stuck my head inside one of the sub bass speakers one night and was medically diagnosed as partially deaf for about 2 years after that. Luckily my hearing returned to normal after about 5 years .. the sub bass was so low and powerful that some kids in New York would actually blow their car windows out at traffic lights for fun. One of my mates once threw a high volume party that caused the paint on the window frames to crack and you could put an 8 pack of beers on a van roof and watch it bounce down the roof and fall off. I think that level of sub bass is illegal to buy these days, HALFORDS and the like certainly stopped stocking those speakers to the general public. :badge: ...

ELATION THE ANTHEM time to move E.P TRK1A.wmv - YouTube

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I stuck my head inside one of the sub bass speakers one night and was medically diagnosed as partially deaf for about 2 years after that.
'The stuff of legends'... :evillaugh:

That's mad, so is the track. :twothumbs:

Was thinking once more about a seminal bass composition and this would be a contender.

Found a live version which has quality audio, especially bass and duly present for 2021... a performance from 19something ... :)

Hang on... this is Pink Floyd.

I'm comfortable with that.

... and accompanied with something I haven't done for an hour or so!! :beer:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I stuck my head inside one of the sub bass speakers one night and was medically diagnosed as partially deaf for about 2 years after that. Luckily my hearing returned to normal after about 5 years ..
Ah, you mad lad, Swifty! A mate of mine went to a Motorhead concert in the early 80s and saw a guy do that. He pulled his head out with a silly expression on his face and blood coming from his ears.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
First time I have ever made a New Year's resolution and I am determined to avoid the news so much as possible this year.

I have succeeded thus far - even disciplined myself to stop the habitual regularly checking when online.

I think that's the issue, just feel saturated by perpetual foreboding gloom.

Shall see how it transpires.

Meantime, have also stopped having the TV on constantly in the background. Do we simply get used to having media stimulas all day?

Feeling rather less fragile than I did first thing this morning (thanks Swifty!) and would love a large single malt, my good innkeeper. :)

A discovery from last night's shenanigans, was the following. Having a bit of a laugh searching YouTube for, 'Fortean Music', this video popped up!

Da Music o' Da Trows

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Woke up with a pounding headache! :chuckle:
I suppose you retain but faint (if any ... ) memories of your headphone experiments from last night. At one point you weren't satisfied until you'd achieved what you called 'Kenneth Arnold Effect' - i.e., rattling your cranium until everything around you seemed to erratically skip and bounce like a stone skimming across water.

I'd never before seen a person's eyeballs quiver like spastic jelly ...

... Feeling rather less fragile than I did first thing this morning (thanks Swifty!) and would love a large single malt, my good innkeeper. :)
At least you're not shouting, so I presume your hearing somehow survived.

(Pushes a modest serving of single malt across the bar ... )

Here's a half to get you started ... Let's see if you remain enthusiastic for the other half once that's down the hatch ...