The Troll's Head

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
First time I have ever made a New Year's resolution and I am determined to avoid the news so much as possible this year.

I have succeeded thus far - even disciplined myself to stop the habitual regularly checking when online.

I think that's the issue, just feel saturated by perpetual foreboding gloom.

Shall see how it transpires.

Meantime, have also stopped having the TV on constantly in the background. Do we simply get used to having media stimulas all day?

Feeling rather less fragile than I did first thing this morning (thanks Swifty!) and would love a large single malt, my good innkeeper. :)

A discovery from last night's shenanigans, was the following. Having a bit of a laugh searching YouTube for, 'Fortean Music', this video popped up!

Da Music o' Da Trows

Who is that handsome chap at the start of the video? Give him a job presenting TV shows!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
At least you're not shouting, so I presume your hearing somehow survived.
I was and presently also using an app for headphones, which claims to increase the volume 200%... :D

Thank you kindly for the New Year's dram and please stay a while - need your sage council.

I also resultantly came across the likes of this:

Like the aforenoted Edinburgh Fortean Society video, it's fabulous material and I wondered where best to highlight these and similar presentations?

Can't have them just gathering dust in a dark, forgotten corner of YouTube.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
I was and presently also using an app for headphones, which claims to increase the volume 200%... :D

Thank you kindly for the New Year's dram and please stay a while - need your sage council.

Like the aforenoted Edinburgh Fortean Society video, it's fabulous material and I wondered where best to highlight these and similar presentations?

The EdFort ones are all advertised and linked to in the Announcements section under Edinburgh Fortean Society 2020, I’ll be starting a new thread for 2021 talks tomorrow.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score

We do also have a thread called Forteana and Weirdness on YouTube
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/forteana-weirdness-on-youtube.29761/page-8
We could collect them there as well? Extra viewers always welcome!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
We do also have a thread called Forteana and Weirdness on YouTube
There's certainly some potential material under, 'Fortean Music' alone!

It throws up all manner of related and peculiar video artefacts.

For some reason, there are several music compositions dating from circa 2010ish.

The aforementioned QuiQui 'Fortean' track is really decent and here's another which @Swifty might like!

No accompanying details other than it's dated 2011... Enjoy!

Tristan - Fortean Times

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
There's certainly some potential material under, 'Fortean Music' alone!

It throws up all manner of related and peculiar video artefacts.

For some reason, there are several music compositions dating from circa 2010ish.

The aforementioned QuiQui 'Fortean' track is really decent and here's another which @Swifty might like!

No accompanying details other than it's dated 2011... Enjoy!

Tristan - Fortean Times

No offence but no thanks mate .. skip to 1:25 on this and full volume again to test your new headphones again

Aphrodite, Micky Finn - Bad Ass 432Hz - YouTube

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Dog with the Broken Paw update.

Stanley had his cist removed today. All went well, except they dug around to get rid of every last scrap and he now has a wound half the length of his foreleg and apparently sewed up by a blind seamstress. He's in his bed crying to himself at the moment. But that's disorientation from the anaesthetic I think. Local vets actually brilliant and the charge was only two thirds of the quote. They are really fond of him, stubborn as he is. They have learnt he hates cages so they just let him bimble about, since he isn't aggressive with other dogs unless they are at least three times his size.

Tough little sod will probably last another couple of years - he's already older than any dog I've owned before. Welsh Terriers - the doggie equivalent of a short Scotsman.

My wife researched in to the breed years ago - they were developed in North Wales as working dogs for the tiny hill farms that could only afford one dog to do the ratting and herd the sheep. Because they are working dogs they aren't necessarily friendly, and do need lots of intellectual stimulus. I can absolutely testify they do both - our previous Welshie on being confronted with sheep for the first time in his life herded them in to the corner of the field and then sat and guarded them and Stan would certainly catch rats if he didn't feel the need to bark when he is hunting them. He has caught mice.

edit: Forgot to mention the previous Welshie's life was shortened because he tried to kill a horse. Survived, but with several hit points damage.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear that Stanley is hopefully finished with surgery and can heal once and for all. Lloyd - give Cochise whatever strikes his fancy for now, and prepare a doggy flask for him to take home for Stanley's calming or disinfecting needs. I'm sure it won't go to waste.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Dog with the Broken Paw update.

Stanley had his cist removed today. All went well, except they dug around to get rid of every last scrap and he now has a wound half the length of his foreleg and apparently sewed up by a blind seamstress. He's in his bed crying to himself at the moment. But that's disorientation from the anaesthetic I think. Local vets actually brilliant and the charge was only two thirds of the quote. They are really fond of him, stubborn as he is. They have learnt he hates cages so they just let him bimble about, since he isn't aggressive with other dogs unless they are at least three times his size.

Tough little sod will probably last another couple of years - he's already older than any dog I've owned before. Welsh Terriers - the doggie equivalent of a short Scotsman.

My wife researched in to the breed years ago - they were developed in North Wales as working dogs for the tiny hill farms that could only afford one dog to do the ratting and herd the sheep. Because they are working dogs they aren't necessarily friendly, and do need lots of intellectual stimulus. I can absolutely testify they do both - our previous Welshie on being confronted with sheep for the first time in his life herded them in to the corner of the field and then sat and guarded them and Stan would certainly catch rats if he didn't feel the need to bark when he is hunting them. He has caught mice.

edit: Forgot to mention the previous Welshie's life was shortened because he tried to kill a horse. Survived, but with several hit points damage.
Awww, glad to hear Stan is on the mend once and for all... I'm sure (having experienced doggie anaesthetic several times over the years) that he probabbly will feel better and more alert tomorrow.

But the worst is over so that's wonderful news I'm so glad :)

Sending hugs to you from me and Mr Zebra, and gentle hugs to Stan from ZebraPup1 and ZebraPup2.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
(Strolls into the Troll's with a question on his mind)...

Meantimely... whilst body and soul are still seemingly resident in Scotland, I've just also heard about the new lockdown response.

If you didn't see that coming... you haven't been watching or reading the news.

Swear I have not in truth done either, as was mentioned elsewhere as my New Year resolution.

You can't avoid the news though! This fact has been intriguing - whether via a news update whilst listening to a radio football commentary, or glancing newspaper headlines when out for essential shopping...

More significantly, if you have family or friends.... then forget it!

You really would have to isolate - no TV, radio or mobile phone.

Coincidentally, whilst recently looking into the history of population decline from remote Scottish Islands, famously of course St Kilda, during the last century, I came across this photograph, described as:

'An intact cleit on Hirta, the largest island near St Kilda.'

Screenshot_20210113_215729_resize_54.jpg

What would you do, given the chance, to swap. :)

Could not say no to a simple large whisky with soda (ice, if desired can easily be obtained by opening my window!).

Man, there's cold and then there's cold tonight and thankfully our welcoming fireplace (sounds brutal outside :))...

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
(A faint tremor ripples through the Head's oaken floorboards ... From the passage aside the bar appears a pale woman with the general appearance of a Valkyrie amplified into a form more akin to the Incredible Hulk. She glowers at Comfortably Numb in a most uncomfortable manner ... )

"Uhhhh ... Give me a minute ... "

(Walks gingerly to confront the formidable female, makes 'please, this way' gestures and ushers her back toward the kitchen, speaking slowly and cooingly to her ... After a couple of beats he returns, shaking his head ... )

"Whew ... That was close ... Sorry ... "

(Pours a large libation, charges it with soda, and slides it across to Numb ... )

Gerta's new; just arrived this afternoon ... They dug her out of the permafrost only yesterday. We agreed to take her on as an intern or whatever until her brain has thawed. The poor dear is understandably disoriented, so we're coddling her in hopes she sheds that hair-trigger drunk rhino attitude. She doesn't hear too well, and we're hoping that will improve with defrosting.

For the record, she demands you know her cleit is as intact as the day she was born, and she swaps with nobody. There - I've now delivered the message as promised. I assured her she misheard what you'd said, but it's difficult to be sure what I drew from our Proto-Germanic pocket dictionary is anything like whatever she speaks.

I've fired up the ovens, and that should keep her from wandering again. She naturally gravitates to wherever the fire is warmest.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I find that fireplace video to be quite stressful due to the increasing desire, yet physical impossibility, to put another log on :frust:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
(A faint tremor ripples through the Head's oaken floorboards ... From the passage aside the bar appears a pale woman with the general appearance of a Valkyrie amplified into a form more akin to the Incredible Hulk. She glowers at Comfortably Numb in a most uncomfortable manner ... )

"Uhhhh ... Give me a minute ... "

(Walks gingerly to confront the formidable female, makes 'please, this way' gestures and ushers her back toward the kitchen, speaking slowly and cooingly to her ... After a couple of beats he returns, shaking his head ... )

"Whew ... That was close ... Sorry ... "

(Pours a large libation, charges it with soda, and slides it across to Numb ... )

Gerta's new; just arrived this afternoon ... They dug her out of the permafrost only yesterday. We agreed to take her on as an intern or whatever until her brain has thawed. The poor dear is understandably disoriented, so we're coddling her in hopes she sheds that hair-trigger drunk rhino attitude. She doesn't hear too well, and we're hoping that will improve with defrosting.

For the record, she demands you know her cleit is as intact as the day she was born, and she swaps with nobody. There - I've now delivered the message as promised. I assured her she misheard what you'd said, but it's difficult to be sure what I drew from our Proto-Germanic pocket dictionary is anything like whatever she speaks.

I've fired up the ovens, and that should keep her from wandering again. She naturally gravitates to wherever the fire is warmest.
*pumps hand gel on hands and on 20p coin*

Hotel California (2013 Remaster) - YouTube

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Hopefully last update on the little dog's 'annus horriblis' - had his stitches out today, scar healing up perfectly, clean bill of health, vets all amazed at how active he is for his age. Obviously he won't go on for ever, but maybe this year I can do my best to walk his legs off and give him a really good time.

And now if I could have a pint of Josiah Iffie's Old and Runny and we can settle down by the fire that will do just nicely.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear Stanley has finally finished with his latest round of injury and medical hassles ...

{Pours a pint and slides it across the bar ... }

The evening's fire has just been freshly stoked ... It should be good for hours ...