The Troll's Head

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Lloyd ... Oh, Lloyd ...

Just an FYI ... If Comfortably Numb wanders in, please make a point to address him as "Shug Monkey" until further notice.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Aforementioned new laptop....

Microsoft 10... spare me...

'Cortana', in her ever so, 'yee-haw' voice, doesn't seem to understand my Scottish accent.

So, after much debate about what I meant by, simply, "Install YouTube", it came down to what I considered a patronising response.

"I'm still not getting that. If you'd like to hear something unexpected, try saying, 'Surprise me'.

OK, why don't I 'surprise you'...

"Load the Forteana forums"..

"You asked, what are the 40 on a forum"...

After a thoughtful pause..

Cortana simply shut down.

Get in there... :badge:

Seeing that it's my birthday, will definitely have a glass of something later.

Meantime, I actually still haven't got around to trying out new A/V capabilities...!

Jukebox...? (link posted live, I haven't seen this yet!) :)

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Comfortably Numb / Shug Monkey / Comfortably Numb!

Here's a little gift to honor your expressed birthday wish - your prior username!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

'Cortana', in her ever so, 'yee-haw' voice, doesn't seem to understand my Scottish accent.

So, after much debate about what I meant by, simply, "Install YouTube", it came down to what I considered a patronising response.

"I'm still not getting that. If you'd like to hear something unexpected, try saying, 'Surprise me'.

Meantime, I actually still haven't got around to trying out new A/V capabilities...!

I realise I'm going to sound bitter and twisted (again) , but voice recognition has never worked for me, touch screens don't like me, and I can, without damage to my conscience as she doesn't exist, condemn Cortana and all her fellow not-so-intelligent AI constructs to eternal torment.

meantime, had a few pints of various lagers in Liverpool yesterday PM, but it was bloody cold, so we repaired to my mate's flat armed with various beverages and indulged in a musical quiz with me as the victim and him as the interlocutor. I did pretty well until the said beverages somewhat slowed the faculties. Was able to recognise both Clare Grogan and Chrissie Hynde doing entirely uncharacteristic and obscure covers purely from their voices. And Debbie Harry doing 'Ghost Riders in the Sky'.

Three amazingly beautiful and self-reliant women.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Happy birthday :)

fetchimage.png

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Say-Happy-Birthday-in-Irish-Step-4.jpg

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Have wonderful birthday, Comfortably Numb! You should ask Cortana to sing 'Happy Birthday' to you. If Cortana can't manage it, the 40-on-a forum choir will chime in.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Comfortably Numb / Shug Monkey / Comfortably Numb!

Here's a little gift to honor your expressed birthday wish - your prior username!
Like a Pheonix, arises...

Typing for first time on new big laptop screen...

Reminded of similar reported Fortean experiences where suddenly everything is different...

Not sure I'm Comfortable...

Has a Fortean realisation that suddenly I am again...

Flagon of Druid Ceremonial Blessed Ale, my good innkeeper...

Birthday drinks are on me... :)

Jukebox... something appropriately celebratory? :badge:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I wondered if there was a suitable Charles Fort quote to go along with what just happened there and Googled, 'Charles Fort quotes'.

First quote which came up was:

"One can't learn much and
also be comfortable
One can't learn much and
let anybody else be comfortable”
― Charles Fort

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Necessarily Googles same and... :eek:

Wonderful stuff! I love Thomas Tallis but I expect any conductor would have great difficulty getting forty patrons of The Troll's Head to sing their lines properly after imbibing several glasses of their tipples of choice. :wink2:

Here's another offering from Tallis but with fewer voices:

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

1dde0e95d3da7325229d5f51f674b622--birthday-board-birthday-wishes-2.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
A little late with my birthday wishes.
I hope you enjoyed it as much as these people.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I realise I'm going to sound bitter and twisted (again) , but voice recognition has never worked for me, touch screens don't like me, and I can, without damage to my conscience as she doesn't exist, condemn Cortana and all her fellow not-so-intelligent AI constructs to eternal torment.

meantime, had a few pints of various lagers in Liverpool yesterday PM, but it was bloody cold, so we repaired to my mate's flat armed with various beverages and indulged in a musical quiz with me as the victim and him as the interlocutor. I did pretty well until the said beverages somewhat slowed the faculties. Was able to recognise both Clare Grogan and Chrissie Hynde doing entirely uncharacteristic and obscure covers purely from their voices. And Debbie Harry doing 'Ghost Riders in the Sky'.

Three amazingly beautiful and self-reliant women.
Disco Johnny Cash? .. who are you and what have you done with Cochise? (no offence intended man .. I'm more angry with her than you ... like when Madonna covered Don Mclean's 'American Pie' ffs .. both 'bouncy' cheerful versions that completely miss the point of the originals IMO )

Last edited:

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
Happy Burpday, whomsevers it is (CN?) Many happy returns of the day.
Pint of his poison for me and himself pls, Lloyd.

Punt in the cyberjuke, press random select, aaaaaaaaand...

giphy.gif

Faark, sorry. dude. Wrong wall again.

ok

Cochise

Reaction score
JD for myself and a drink for Swifty please. Faith needs restoring :)

I was surprised at the Ghost Riders cover as well - had never heard it before Saturday evening. But that was sort of the point of the informal quiz - covers by people you'd never imagine would do that, or songs recorded by bands that seemed totally out of character.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

I was surprised at the Ghost Riders cover as well - had never heard it before Saturday evening. But that was sort of the point of the informal quiz - covers by people you'd never imagine would do that, or songs recorded by bands that seemed totally out of character.
Double JD please mate :) .. shit .. it's gone already? .. I think there's a hole in this glass?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

R.E.M doing a cover of 'Femme Fatale'
Check out Michael Stipes hair lol

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
@feinman !

allow me to offer you a drink! I've put doubloons behind the bar for you!

Cochise

Reaction score
JD please. And a dime for the jukebox in the change.

Poor old Stanley (The Dog with the Broken Paw, or TDWTBP) is I think soon to be an ex-Dog. He's been finding it increasingly difficult as his various paw related adventures of last year have left him with a severe limp which has aggravated his spondylosis, a pre-existing condition.

He was getting around OK in a sort of rocking horse hop - sometimes pretty fast if there was a trespasser to be chased - until the last couple of weeks but he is now sleeping most of the day and because his back gets arched in his curled up sleep he has difficulty straightening it when he gets up. I have to help him stretch out, though it doesn't seem to hurt him. He's showing the classic sign of an old dog towards the end of weak and shivery back legs.

He is still eating well and eager to go out, although he doesn't get far when he does.

I'm afraid it won't be long now until I have to take the Big Decision. He is 14 (nearly 15) which is an advanced age for a dog. He has been so tough though, that I feel if it hadn't been for his wretched accident last year he'd have had at least another year in him.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the JD.

Sorry to hear that Stanley's condition seems to be deteriorating. I know it weighs on you ...

Lloyd - Cochise has an open / pre-paid tab today.

Cochise

Reaction score
Ok Patrones.

Tonight's quiz question.

Given you do not currently have a partner of your desired sex, what is the best (unsleazy) substitute. This is multiple choice.

1) Booze
2) Car / Automobile of your choice
3) Model Railway
4) Embroidery
5) Vicious gardening
6) Meccano.

All of the above have been employed by either sex, although admittedly the female contribution to Meccano is sadly under-represented. Male involvement in embroidery is particularly common in Scotland. And was compulsory in my primary school - it was intended to prepare you for the unfortunate event that you had no wife to do sewing and repairs and such for you.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Ok Patrones.

Tonight's quiz question.

Given you do not currently have a partner of your desired sex, what is the best (unsleazy) substitute. This is multiple choice.

1) Booze
2) Car / Automobile of your choice
3) Model Railway
4) Embroidery
5) Vicious gardening
6) Meccano.

All of the above have been employed by either sex, although admittedly the female contribution to Meccano is sadly under-represented. Male involvement in embroidery is particularly common in Scotland. And was compulsory in my primary school - it was intended to prepare you for the unfortunate event that you had no wife to do sewing and repairs and such for you.
From that list, my car (I suppose).

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Vicious gardening while boozing