The Troll's Head

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok Patrones. Tonight's quiz question.
Given you do not currently have a partner of your desired sex, what is the best (unsleazy) substitute. This is multiple choice.
Given your specification of the context, the best answer IMHO is the car. Unlike the other options, it necessarily involves an entity that can seem to have a personality and mind of its own - an entity which can (a) take you on joyrides if well-treated and lovingly maintained as well as (b) make your life hell if neglected or abused. That's what makes this option the best surrogate / substitute for a partner.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Given your specification of the context, the best answer IMHO is the car. Unlike the other options, it necessarily involves an entity that can seem to have a personality and mind of its own - an entity which can (a) take you on joyrides if well-treated and lovingly maintained as well as (b) make your life hell if neglected or abused. That's what makes this option the best surrogate / substitute for a partner.
However, to quote Homer Simpson,

download.png

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Ok Patrones.

Tonight's quiz question.

Given you do not currently have a partner of your desired sex, what is the best (unsleazy) substitute. This is multiple choice.

1) Booze
2) Car / Automobile of your choice
3) Model Railway
4) Embroidery
5) Vicious gardening
6) Meccano.

All of the above have been employed by either sex, although admittedly the female contribution to Meccano is sadly under-represented. Male involvement in embroidery is particularly common in Scotland. And was compulsory in my primary school - it was intended to prepare you for the unfortunate event that you had no wife to do sewing and repairs and such for you.

How random. :hahazebs:
I should say embroidery as I've been doing a lot of it recently, however I have a soft spot for Meccano as I used to do a lot of it when I was little (even though I'm a girl - gasp!) Admittedly I preferred K'Nex though. Give me gin and K'Nex and I'd be a happy lass. :D

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
We should have a FTW topic. However.

Relevance. I knew Fred Bear. I have a bow, custom built. Left handed because although I am right handed you have to draw your bow to your eye and the only one I have is on the left. So I had to learn to be a lefty for archery. In 1977 I was on the UK Fred Bear team at the English Nationals and won my class. So the UK Bear archery distributor built me a bow, a left handed Tamerlaskan compound. Tamerlane limbs, Alaskan riser. Fred Bear signed it. I still have it - I varnished over his signature.

It is truly amazing to me what I have done in my life. And I've still maybe 20 years to go.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
It's my first year anniversary on the forum today.
:cheer:

I've always stayed 'signed in' on here and perhaps bizarrely, today was the first time I've been thrown out and I've had to sign back in. Of course I couldn't remember the password so I had to reset it.

Trying to decide whether it's a coincidence, some weird quirk of the the forum... or whether you guys are trying to tell me something. :worry:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

I've always stayed 'signed in' on here and perhaps bizarrely, today was the first time I've been thrown out and I've had to sign back in. Of course I couldn't remember the password so I had to reset it.

Trying to decide whether it's a coincidence, some weird quirk of the the forum... or whether you guys are trying to tell me something. :worry:
Congratulations, i had the same thing happened to me a month or so ago, (getting booted) and as i am also logged on permenantly i too had no idea what my password was and had to reset it :p

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Coincidence.

Glad to see you've stayed the course and made a home here.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Insurance coverage for the average person in the superhero universe must be insane.

*Policy does not cover damage from killer robots, aliens, gods (any type), your house being transported to the NegaZone, or The Prankster rewiring everyone's car windows to randomly go up and down.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Insurance coverage for the average person in the superhero universe must be insane.

*Policy does not cover damage from killer robots, aliens, gods (any type), your house being transported to the NegaZone, or The Prankster rewiring everyone's car windows to randomly go up and down.
Can't see Bruce Banner getting insurance for anything, especially clothing.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Just read that in the latest edition of Marvels 'Civil War III' Banner is killer off and replaced with a young Korean-American called Amadeus Cho :oops:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36781990

Cochise

Reaction score
Ach. Bad news last night. I have two cousins I'm very fond of, they were like my older sister and younger brother. We were close as kids because their father - my Uncle Doug - was very ill and we used to take them on holiday with us, have them staying with us in the school holidays etc.

Male cousin's wife died last week from cancer - she'd been fighting it for five years and finally threw in the towel. Sad, but not unexpected. But in a cruel twist my cousin Pam - my 'Big Sis' - has been diagnosed with breast cancer, something that shouldn't happen at her age. Apparently her menopause was incomplete and she was still producing estrogen. I hope it's been caught early enough and she's being very brave. But what rotten luck. The NHS are treating it as very urgent and she is in for an op this week. Will be followed up with radiotherapy - I didn't know they still did that.

And I keep trying to give up the JD.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Ach. Bad news last night. I have two cousins I'm very fond of, they were like my older sister and younger brother. We were close as kids because their father - my Uncle Doug - was very ill and we used to take them on holiday with us, have them staying with us in the school holidays etc.

Male cousin's wife died last week from cancer - she'd been fighting it for five years and finally threw in the towel. Sad, but not unexpected. But in a cruel twist my cousin Pam - my 'Big Sis' - has been diagnosed with breast cancer, something that shouldn't happen at her age. Apparently her menopause was incomplete and she was still producing estrogen. I hope it's been caught early enough and she's being very brave. But what rotten luck. The NHS are treating it as very urgent and she is in for an op this week. Will be followed up with radiotherapy - I didn't know they still did that.

I'm sorry to hear that, I wish her a full and speedy recovery, my thoughts are with you and yours :(

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Best wishes sent your way mate.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I keep trying to give up the JD.
Two Jack Daniels with soda. please.

Whilst I don't indulge so much myself there days,. there are occasions.

Although there's far too often the downside, once in a while something comes along which lights up the gloom.

I've mentioned at some point on the forums, that my daughter was an experienced drummer and has now successfully established a full-time teaching school - only 3 years in existence, from absolute scratch and survived the COVID-19 lockdown.

Most of her students are circa 8-12 year old and two have autism.

One of them is a smashing wee boy, who can't play a beat with his right hand alone, his left hand must be involved as well.

Donna figured out a way around this and over the weekend his mother posted a video on her Facebook page of him playing along to AC/DC in the studio.

Via a connection between various Facebook 'Friend' associations, this ended up being highlighted on a network for drum enthusiasts and last night Donna received a message from someone who was full of praise.

She didn't recognise the name and looked it up.

Guy was the drummer for Pearl Jam during their early years. :D

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Take care Cochise.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
We should have a FTW topic. However.

Relevance. I knew Fred Bear. I have a bow, custom built. Left handed because although I am right handed you have to draw your bow to your eye and the only one I have is on the left. So I had to learn to be a lefty for archery. In 1977 I was on the UK Fred Bear team at the English Nationals and won my class. So the UK Bear archery distributor built me a bow, a left handed Tamerlaskan compound. Tamerlane limbs, Alaskan riser. Fred Bear signed it. I still have it - I varnished over his signature.

It is truly amazing to me what I have done in my life. And I've still maybe 20 years to go.
I'm not clicking on that. It looks like a sasquatch giving a woman one.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... But in a cruel twist my cousin Pam - my 'Big Sis' - has been diagnosed with breast cancer, something that shouldn't happen at her age. Apparently her menopause was incomplete and she was still producing estrogen. I hope it's been caught early enough and she's being very brave. But what rotten luck. The NHS are treating it as very urgent and she is in for an op this week. Will be followed up with radiotherapy - I didn't know they still did that.
(Puts a Staff marker on the bar in front of Cochise, then tells Lloyd whatever Cochise wants is all on the house today but to ask for confirmation if he asks for more JD ... )

Sorry to hear about the double whammy of cancer affecting the family. I regret to say I've been down that road (with loved ones) all too many times myself. I hope for Pam's sake they've detected it early enough to afford her the best odds for successful treatment. Yes - radiotherapy is still in the toolkit, and it's both less damaging and more effective than it used to be. It's a common follow-up used to zap any residual bits surgery and chemo don't eradicate.

Cochise

Reaction score
OK, further indestructible dog update. I'm beginning to think he is the reincarnation of some particularly robust Agatha Christie cad.

Took him to the groomers today. Now, he hates being picked up, even though he is 14 and not as fast as he was he still tries to chomp me if I pick him up unexpectedly. I don't know if I mentioned it on here but some months ago his regular groomers shut down. Gemma, the lady in charge, had always said he had a particular groomer he liked. And she had referred me to her after the original business collapsed.

Well, I saw the effect today. The lady at the groomers picked him up and he more or less rolled over in her arms. Next he would want his belly scratched. The little tart. And she managed to bath and clip him and trim his toenails without a muzzle. The lady in question is ginger, I mention this for no reason at all.

If you'd had tried that when we first had him you'd have lost a hand.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Probably something smell related.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Is it just me, or on a day when you know you will be home alone with no interruptions or visitors, does anyone else like to dress in ridiculous combinations of clothes?

For example, the other day I spent the day in yellow shorts, a smartish shirt and one of those train-drivery hats that Castro used to wear, just cos I could. Even shoved blue sunglasses on at one point when the sun was shining in.

Just to clarify, I don't do it to intentionally look stupid, it's just that I grab whatever is comfy/warm etc whether or not they actually go together.

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
What you get up to in private is your own business.
And yes, it probably is just you.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Is it just me, or on a day when you know you will be home alone with no interruptions or visitors, does anyone else like to dress in ridiculous combinations of clothes?

For example, the other day I spent the day in yellow shorts, a smartish shirt and one of those train-drivery hats that Castro used to wear, just cos I could. Even shoved blue sunglasses on at one point when the sun was shining in.

That's how it starts. Give a few months and you'll be Elsa from Frozen.

Cochise

Reaction score
Probably something smell related.
You're probably right. There are two friends of mine, one male, one female, that he is also a bit soft on - though not as much as he is on the groomer lady.

Cochise

Reaction score
As mentioned elsewhere, I bought one. Don't. Waste of time. Even after I stripped the gadgets it's is still woefully inaccurate, mainly because the weight of the barrel extension (the thing that looks like a silencer) pulls the whole actual barrel downwards. I may yet be able to manufacture a sight to account for this, but that's only because I'm stubborn and spent money on it and want to try and get some function out of it. And i have odd bits of bow sight hanging around which may help.

The gadgets are useless because the mount is on a piece of flexible plastic. I've taken them all off except the barrel extension which is not removable without a hacksaw.

In fairness the optical and laser sights might be useful if mounted on a rigid mount.
Update. the plastic magazine broke and they are apparently unobtainable , so now its scrap.

However, in the meantime I've bought a Crosman 2240 and applied various upgrades. .22 cal. This is a proper piece of equipment, well made and reasonably accurate over open sights. It's only a pistol so no sense of going for telescopic sights or such.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Wanders in, bewildered...

First time in a couple of years, was in a pub earlier - a friend's celebration at the 'Salmon Inn', Scottish borders.

Genuinely... didn't understand why only a few folks were not wearing facemasks. Was informed, 'Aye, you can do that these days, how did you not know"?

Good inkeeper, a round of anything that doesn't make you seem like an imbecile, please.

Great to see a live band for a change...

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score

God bless,mate.