The Troll's Head

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
God bless,mate
My condolences also @Cochise.

Couple of drinks for my mates, please and I shall have an early morning aperatative.... apererertive... just a smal... ishy..

Large Scotch please.

Aha! I see the Trolls jukebox is now linked to the big TV.

Jukebox, maybe something suitably cheery and especially for @skinny?

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
Heh. Never gets old that one.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
This is actually a serious question.

I have various documents of some importance to my parents and grandparents. My only child has no interest.

I have my maternal Grandad's bible he carried through WW1 and his medals. I have my paternal grandad's ship books where he served on the Lusitania and Mauretania. I have Dad's New Testament he carried through WW2 and various other documents. I have numerous documents of my wife's father where he was intimately involved with the organisation of successive Olympic Games.

I've b* all documentation of myself because I've always lived for the day. Apart from a wholly embarrassing pass issued by the NY coroners Office and various other periphery nonsense, none of which matter to me a jot. It's not me I care about.

What do I do with this stuff (and there is more). Would anyone care for them or what? It's ridiculously sentimental but why should my - very poor - antecedents be lost to history when the rich are recorded in sycophantic detail?

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

I have various documents of some importance to my parents and grandparents. My only child has no interest.

I have my maternal Grandad's bible he carried through WW1 and his medals. I have my paternal grandad's ship books where he served on the Lusitania and Mauretania. I have Dad's New Testament he carried through WW2 and various other documents. I have numerous documents of my wife's farther where he was intimately involved with the organisation of successive Olympic Games.

I've b* all documentation of myself because I've always lived for the day. Apart from a wholly embarrassing pass issued by the MY coroners Office and various other periphery nonsense, none of which matter to me a jot. It's not me I care about.

What do I do with this stuff (and there is more). Would anyone care for them or what? It's ridiculously sentimental but why should my - very poor - antecedents be lost to history when the rich are recorded in sycophantic detail?

I reckon local museums/archives would be interested in that stuff.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I could maybe suggest that war related items might be of interest to a related museum?
eg - the WW1 bible and medals might be suitable for a museum in the Somme or somewhere he was stationed.
The Lusitania and Mauretania related books might be welcomed at Clydebank Museum and Swan Hunters in Northumberland.
Not sure about the Olympics stuff but maybe there is some repository for such stuff in a national archives somewhere?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

I have my maternal Grandad's bible he carried through WW1 and his medals. I have my paternal grandad's ship books where he served on the Lusitania and Mauretania. I have Dad's New Testament he carried through WW2 and various other documents. I have numerous documents of my wife's father where he was intimately involved with the organisation of successive Olympic Games.

I've b* all documentation of myself because I've always lived for the day. Apart from a wholly embarrassing pass issued by the NY coroners Office and various other periphery nonsense, none of which matter to me a jot. It's not me I care about.

I'm not sure how old your child is but it maybe worth holding on to them, as at some point in the future they may be interested in things like their family history.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old your child is but it maybe worth holding on to them, as at some point in the future they may be interested in things like their family history.
He's 41 and there is complicated history. In particular his ma disappeared when he was age four and was an Irish Catholic which does not sit well with him.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score

Cochise –

I suggest that you consider giving the documents away to the recipient of your choice – museum, whatever – while you still have the ability to do so. As you have done, I have kept no documents from my own life at all. They are irrelevant to me. Whatever good I have done will live on – or not - after I am dead.

I have always liked your avatar because it reminds me so much of wonderful times I had at a (rather dive) bar off Granby St, Norfolk Virginia USA, home of the US Navy Atlantic fleet. To have lunch outside next to the ocean, in the sun, hearing the surf, and feeling the wind, was always a treat. In your avatar, you look a lot like most of the patrons from that bar. I had many great discussions with the retired harbor master there; he was a gentleman of many unexpected parts, as I suspect you are.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Does anybody out there know what is the best way to sell old tools?
Don't say eBay, because people who use that are typically looking for a bargain.
Thanks!

Edit: Can't remember if I've already asked this. Going senile!

Last edited:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Don't say eBay, because people who use that are typically looking for a bargain.
Thanks!

Depending on how old you are talking, you could try your local auction house, old tools often come up in general sales

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Depending on how old you are talking, you could try your local auction house, old tools often come up in general sales
These are antiques. My Dad's collection of wooden moulding planes. Selling them for my Mum.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Thanks!

When I used to regularly do a car boot sale there was always a guy with another regular stall who bought and sold old tools.
His stall was always crowded, usually with middle-aged blokes having a rummage.
He told me he made quite a bit of money out of it.
He would go to garage clearance sales etc and also buy 'job lots' of old tools at auctions, which he would then choose some of the more deserving items to clean up and/or renovate, leaving the rest with their original rust patina.
Maybe you have a similar chap near you?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
When I used to regularly do a car boot sale there was always a guy with another regular stall who bought and sold old tools.
His stall was always crowded, usually with middle-aged blokes having a rummage.
He told me he made quite a bit of money out of it.
He would go to garage clearance sales etc and also buy 'job lots' of old tools at auctions, which he would then choose some of the more deserving items to clean up and/or renovate, leaving the rest with their original rust patina.
Maybe you have a similar chap near you?
Yeah, probably. Dealers don't tend to pay a good price though.
Maybe I'll put an ad in Woodworker or similar.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Try the imperial war museum at Lambeth. The family link may be of significant interest to them.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats, Mytho! ...
(Turns to the bartender, who may or may not have been standing there the whole time - no one's ever sure about that ... )
"Lloyd .... Punch in credit for 20 free drinks on Mytho's tab."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I'll drink a tipple tonight to celebrate.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Does anyone actually like the taste of Irn-bru? I remember when i was a kid we got a 'Soda-Stream' and it came with a bottle of Irn-bru concentrate, we still had most of the bottle left about 10 years after we got rid of the machine :hahazebs:
I think it's OK when super-chilled. Just OK.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever drunk Irn Bru. I always imagined it tastes of rusty water.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever drunk Irn Bru. I always imagined it tastes of rusty water.
I have tried it a few times but it's not particularly nice imho, according to t'interweb its described as:

"Nothing tastes like Irn Bru. The orange color is from Ammonium Ferric Sulfate, which also produces the bubble-gum-and-rust flavor. The rest is just sugar,"

https://www.quora.com/What-flavour-...kQFnoECDAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3UMgUsEdrMcjDO-CK0MKKm

And it also out sells Coke, in Scotland.

"Irn-Bru still outsells the mighty Coca Cola to this day and has dominated the Scottish soft drink market for over a century."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/underthein...coke-in-scotland-for-over-a-century-1.5420519

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Ha, ha, ha, bless your naive little hearts. I was raised on Irn Bru, it's compulsory up here. Taste? As long as it's sweet, nobody cares.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I was raised on Irn Bru

I've been sent a picture of you as a baby and it's true!

1632681310821.png

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
You think that's a joke, but it really isn't!