The Troll's Head

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Would anyone really be surprised if it turned out that Amazon were trying to develop teleportation?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Wanders in... and notes been bit quiet here lately.

Large artesian vodka please, neat, no ice.

Been a crazy past couple of weeks; even though had both vaccinations, was required to take a COVID test, as I exhibiting all the symptoms. Although you knew doubtless only a common cold, it was fascinating to watch the home--kit, 'Lateral Flow Test' results unfurl.

Surreal.... why.... because it was for real.

Tben woke up one morning and not sure who I was.

Which was really fascinating.

Realised there seemed to be an issue, I tested my instinctive knowledge. The following is exact:

"The capital of Scotland is Fijj'.

'The capital of London is Thailand'.

Fascinatingly, I knew that neither was correct.

So, I eventually phoned my daughter, explained I seemed slightly confused and reassuringly gave her my current address.

"Dad, you lived at that address 40 years ago..."

Thankfully.... and an unnecessary long story.... since medically resolved and all OK!

Weird as... though.

Magic Jukebox, anything suitability... 'a bit strange...unusual'?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Having suffered a number of similar "memory attacks" (my label for them ... ) over a period of some years I can sympathize.

I hope all is back to (whatever passes for ... ) normal now.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Been a crazy past couple of weeks; even though had both vaccinations, was required to take a COVID test, as I exhibiting all the symptoms. Although you knew doubtless only a common cold, it was fascinating to watch the home--kit, 'Lateral Flow Test' results unfurl.

Realised there seemed to be an issue, I tested my instinctive knowledge. The following is exact:

So, I eventually phoned my daughter, explained I seemed slightly confused and reassuringly gave her my current address.

Thankfully.... and an unnecessary long story.... since medically resolved and all OK!

Weird as... though.

Hope the moments of confusion have passed now, and you're back to normal.
That's a scary thing to happen.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Weird as... though.

Take care, hope your brain doesn't get numbed again!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hope the moments of confusion have passed now, and you're back to normal.
That's a scary thing to happen.
Necessarily had to undergo some tests and was asked if I could, 'touch my nose'. Extraordinary, bizzare experience, because I explained it wasn't possible - knew that straight away.

Nonetheless, I determinedly persevered, took a good shot at it.... and poked myself right in the eye. :)

Eventually... it kinda all just wore off and remains anomalous to this day.

I did have to undergo a scan, where beforehand the nurse asks obligatory questions.

When she came to the one; "Do you have any implants"...

i wondered... and still am... is there a 'protocal' if you say, 'only the alien one...'..?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
i wondered... and still am... is there a 'protocal' if you say, 'only the alien one...'..?
Probably :p

8445932-0-image-m-36_1547328060661.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yeah, don't mention alien implants... because of the alien autopsy team waiting in the next room!
Ha! How we find so many delightful tangents in our Forteana enclave.

Our 'alien autopsy', I know well.

A WORLD EXCLUSIVE!!! ... well, it's only really my posting somewhere, sometime and a lesson for future generations of researchers who might read the following, regarding my conversation with Ray Santilli.

Trust_No_One_tagline.jpg

Resize_20211009_120012_2866.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Think I've eventually sussed the perspective.

It might have taken the best part of 64 years, however, I was just watching a YouTube video in which Dr Peter Edwards, from Durham University, explained:

"There are more stars in the visible universe, than there are grains of sand on the earth".

Large single malt please and my round in celebration.

So, next time you go to the beach...

And come to think of it, quite lot of sand in a desert, isn't there.

Probably best not to think about it at all.

:) :beer:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Surely, if the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite number of stars.
I see the quantifier is given as 'visible' universe though, so I expect that means 'visible to us' which would be with telescopes.
But then it begs the question of how do they know how much sand there is?

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
Think I've eventually sussed the perspective.

It might have taken the best part of 64 years, however, I was just watching a YouTube video in which Dr Peter Edwards, from Durham University, explained:

"There are more stars in the visible universe, than there are grains of sand on the earth".

Large single malt please and my round in celebration.

So, next time you go to the beach...

And come to think of it, quite lot of sand in a desert, isn't there.

Probably best not to think about it at all.

:) :beer:

There's a decreasing amount of sand on beaches, we use it up more quickly hand erosion creates it, for construction.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... "There are more stars in the visible universe, than there are grains of sand on the earth".
Large single malt please and my round in celebration. ...
babybarkeepstares.jpg

The barmaid stares at Comfortably Numb, frozen with uncertainty ...

(A sound of approaching clanking comes from the back corridor. Enola appears, surveys the scene, and places what appears to be a piggy bank shaped like a two-headed tortoise on the bar.)

"Ahhh, Numb ... I see you've stunned her with wonder ... Good job ... I was afraid she'd wander off before I could get back here."

"Sorry for the delay on your drink ... Gimme a minute ..."

(Goes behind the bar and grabs what everyone always assumed was a merely decorative Homacoustic speaking tube ...)

Homacoustic.jpg

"Jimmy! ... Jimmy? ... 'Nola ... Listen up ... We have a situation down here at the main bar. I need you to bring me the Walther. No, not that Walther ... The big German mechanical calculator. Get it down here ASAP. We have to crunch some serious numbers, and this job can't be entrusted to electrons. Chop chop ..."

(Slips behind the bar, takes an emerald green bottle from an unseen cabinet beneath the bar, scoops up a glass, pours a generous dollop of century-aged single malt, and slides the glass across the bar to Comfortably Numb.)

"There you go ... Now ... James, meet Analemma (points to the gaping waif). Analemma, meet Comfortably Numb. (Leans across the bar in a conspiratorial stance ...) Analemma is our new barmaid. She's - let's see if I got this right - Lloyd's nephew's latest victim's sister. She just started today, so she doesn't know her way around the Head yet. As near as I can determine, she went looking for something in the wine closet and mistakenly blundered through one of the time slip portals someone left activated. We need to put those damned things on a timer so they fade out automatically. Anyway ... Now we have to figure out the figures necessary to push her back through the portal and reverse the age disjunction to something approximating who she was this morning."

"Now ... About the grains of sand bit ... I think it's my turn now ..."

(Rummages in a drawer, pulls out a big eyedropper, and fills it from the sink. Places another, empty, glass on the bar in front of Comfortably Numb. Holds the eyedropper over the glass and carefully drips its contents ...)

dropper&drop-glass.jpg

"1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9... 10... and 11. There - either I win or it's your turn ..."

(Comfortably Numb adopts an incredulous expression mirroring Analemma's ... Enola cocks his head in curiosity, shrugs, and continues ... )

"You were playing Grains 'n Brains, weren't you? You know the scoring hierarchy - stars in the universe beats grains of earthly sand; H2O molecules in eleven drops of water beats stars in the universe*; neural states of an Owsley-supercharged hallucinating brain beats molecules in eleven drops of water; life's potential high strangeness episodes beats hallucinating brain's imaginative capacity; Reaper's hourglass beats life; and grains of sand beats hourglass.

A muffled metallic thud is heard from down the main corridor, followed by the clunking of the old elevator doors operating ...

"Ah, that must be Jimmy ... "

* https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwi...r-of-sand-grains-on-earth-or-stars-in-the-sky

Last edited:

Trevp666

Reaction score
clanking comes from the back corridor
I'm sure I've told you about having too much iron in your diet.

Anyways.....to recap my point.....(takes large swig of a fruity 'sprout beaujolais')

When we were first talking about 'stars in the visible universe' I did try to cover the sentiment that fine, if you're only talking about the 'visible' universe, then that's surely a simple matter of counting the stars you can see.
Assuming the universe is infinite though, then you have to include the stars you can't see, of which there must be an infinite number.
But because the amount of sand grains on the Earth is limited to, well, the amount of sand grains on the Earth, then that is a finite number.
Ergo....there must be more stars in the (infinite) universe, than there are sand grains on Earth.

Of course.....(draining glass and putting it back down heavily on the bar)....where that supposition falls down is if we introduce the possibility that the universe is constrained by an ever advancing 'front' which is constantly expanding away from us, and that the 'visible' stars are in fact all of the stars in existence.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... Assuming the universe is infinite though, then you have to include the stars you can't see, of which there must be an infinite number. ...
Prevailing models don't assume an infinite universe, or at least an infinite number of stars.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
I'm sure I've told you about having too much iron in your diet.

Anyways.....to recap my point.....(takes large swig of a fruity 'sprout beaujolais')

When we were first talking about 'stars in the visible universe' I did try to cover the sentiment that fine, if you're only talking about the 'visible' universe, then that's surely a simple matter of counting the stars you can see.
Assuming the universe is infinite though, then you have to include the stars you can't see, of which there must be an infinite number.
But because the amount of sand grains on the Earth is limited to, well, the amount of sand grains on the Earth, then that is a finite number.
Ergo....there must be more stars in the (infinite) universe, than there are sand grains on Earth.

Of course.....(draining glass and putting it back down heavily on the bar)....where that supposition falls down is if we introduce the possibility that the universe is constrained by an ever advancing 'front' which is constantly expanding away from us, and that the 'visible' stars are in fact all of the stars in existence.

What about the invisible universe Trev?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A muffled metallic thud is heard from down the main corridor, followed by the clunking of the old elevator doors operating ...

"Ah, that must be Jimmy ... "
Staggers out of same and wonders if there isn't scope for writing a script.

'The Forteana Lift'

Something like 'The Twilight Zone'... the floor button you press could open the doors on any floor, anywhere in time... might be a hotel lounge back in the 1930s and so on.

Would be cool if it was... like, say...

That video is all too brief.... damn...

Nonetheless... hmmm....

Idea © of @EnolaGaia & @Comfortably Numb.

After watching Scotland's two qualification matches for next year's football Word Cup.

Barrel of whiskey and a long straw please.... good grief, although all ended well, that was traumatic enough.

So, Newcastle United are suddenly short odds to win the Champions League in two years time.

Next thing you know, Tom Brady will be growing younger.

Yea, it's been a crazy week, what with finally understand how big the Universe is... how small though is a grain of sand?

We do indeed still live in Forteana times.

Incidentally, came across this recently!

Compress_20211013_103303_3326.jpg

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
if you're only talking about the 'visible' universe, then that's surely a simple matter of counting the stars you can see.
Only slightly off-topic, the USSR proudly boasted that it had more cinemas than there were stars in the sky. So, never mind your eleven drops, how on Earth could this claim hold water?

The metric they were using was "stars visible to the naked eye, from the USSR". There are approximately 5000 stars which are visible unaided from Earth, but daytime means that, wherever you are, you'll only see about half of these. There are still over 2000 movie theatres in Russia alone, never mind the rest of the former Soviet Union, so the claim is not so outlandish as it might appear in the context of earlier discussion. It does show the importance of defining one's terms, however.[\SPOILER]

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Only slightly off-topic, the USSR proudly boasted that it had more cinemas than there were stars in the sky. So, never mind your eleven drops, how on Earth could this claim hold water?
Fascinating tangent and if relates to the following, then perhaps justifiably an exaggerated boast!

"Some 4,000 motion-picture theatres were in operation, with the French company Pathé playing a substantial role in production and distribution".

Fair shout that I am not alone in having previously been unaware of same?

https://www.britannica.com/art/history-of-the-motion-picture/The-Soviet-Union

There's a drink waiting when you're ready and nice of the bar staff to lay on some snacks as well. :)

Compress_20211016_092415_5217.jpg

Trevp666

Reaction score
There's a drink waiting when you're ready and nice of the bar staff to lay on some snacks as well
It appears to be quite posh, up your end of the bar.

Down this end of the bar our drinks and snacks are quite different.
I think Lloyd is practising some kind of 'preferential treatment'.

1634378194787.png
1634378131985.png
1634378274174.png

Trevp666

Reaction score
Oh....our food not good enough for Mr Hoyty-Toyty-Where's-My-Pate-De-Fois-Gras huh?

And you do realise that's a Scrumpy bottle containing meths with some bits of (what appear to be) half-chewed apple and sweepings off a barn floor floating about in it, don't you?

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
And you do realise that's a Scrumpy bottle containing meths with some bits of (what appear to be) half-chewed apple and sweepings off a barn floor floating about in it, don't you?
So proper scrumpy then?

I'll have a Fuzzy Navel, please. That's peach schnapps and orange juice to the uninitiated. I'm feeling nostalgic.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
Oh....our food not good enough for Mr Hoyty-Toyty-Where's-My-Pate-De-Fois-Gras huh?

Again choice of fois gras or veganism: pass me those delicious brussel sprouts!

Your description of scrumpy sounds more like a posher version of this legendary drink of my youth:

White-Lightning-cider.jpg