The Troll's Head

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Here's a shot of Jameson for starters ...
Jameson is being invoked quite a lot lately. Some are claiming it has significant restorative effects when dealing with that COVID nastiness.

... Or would you prefer some other brand?
Bushmills Black is rather excellent. Among the Irish whiskeys, which I value for their smoothness.

Last edited:

Lloyd

The Troll's Head's Spectral Barkeep
Reaction score
That robot barman is useless. The last time he was in operation there was that incident with the flaming sambucas that ruined the ceiling in the 'snug'.
I told them at the time that just because it is a robot barman it doesn't mean that it is any good at juggling. ...
Lloyd-Speaks-A.jpeg
I fear you're mistaken, Trev ...

I also fear I'm starting to understand how you ended up awaking in the 'Head this New Year's morning.

The incident to which you refer occurred last night, amidst the midnight hour festivities. Loid (the 'Head's robotic bartender) wasn't on duty here in the bar area.

You freaked out when the tiki torches were lit and scrambled away down the corridor. After being alerted by a fellow member upset over a disturbance I found you in the the game room's arcade alcove, screaming at the fortune telling automaton ...
FortuneTellerMachine-A.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A Happy New Year from Scotland!

Unfortunately, I can't bring you footage of the traditional Hogmanay 'lone piper', as he is currently self-isolating...

:thought:

One remains in celebratory mood, especially having spent the past few days researching my ancestry and compiling a family tree.

There were one or two surprises, I must say.

Never expected, if Im being perfectly honest, that this would genuinely result.

Yes, it has been checked and rechecked and is comprehensively proven to be factual.

The story how and why, I shall be happy to share over a glass or three...

Good inntenders, my round... something suitable for this doubly special occasion!!!

Although not 'the usual' for myself.

Those days are seemingly im my past, so to speak.

Well, I never....

Perhaps a toast to my late grandfather....!!!

:eek: :hahazebs: :twothumbs:

Compress_20211230_204043_3269.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A Happy New Year from Scotland!

Unfortunately, I can't bring you footage of the traditional Hogmanay 'lone piper', as he is currently self-isolating...

:thought:

One remains in celebratory mood, especially having spent the past few days researching my ancestry and compiling a family tree.

There were one or two surprises, I must say.

Never expected, if Im being perfectly honest, that this would genuinely result.

Yes, it has been checked and rechecked and is comprehensively proven to be factual.

The story how and why, I shall be happy to share over a glass or three...

Good inntenders, my round... something suitable for this doubly special occasion!!!

Although not 'the usual' for myself.

Those days are seemingly im my past, so to speak.

Well, I never....

Perhaps a toast to my late grandfather....!!!

:eek: :hahazebs: :twothumbs:

View attachment 50123
Do we have to address you as 'your royal highness' or is that optional?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
You freaked out when the tiki torches were lit and scrambled away down the corridor. After being alerted by a fellow member upset over a disturbance I found you in the the game room's arcade alcove, screaming at the fortune telling automaton ...
Aaaah....that's the bit I have no recollection of...which would explain the rips in my trousers and the grazed knees.
That must have been shortly after we did the Absinthe shots and the eating of the maggot in the Mezcal Tequila bottles!
And it would also explain the small piece of paper I found in my pocket imprinted with the words "You look but do not see....you listen but do not hear....be silent of mouth and short of thought, if wealthy in heart you want to be...".
I thought it was a note from my neighbour complaining about me using those binoculars while she was sunbathing, again.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Bushmills Black is rather excellent. Among the Irish whiskeys, which I value for their smoothness...
This takes myself back....

Late dad's favourite - amongst many, to be fair. :D

Good bartenders, you would not perchance have in the recess of rumoured back cellars, some of the exceedingly special 30-year-old Bushmills recently released....

:omg:

Compress_20220101_174627_7096.jpg

Drams-a -plenty on my round!!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Grandfather? You must be very old.
Well, he is my 33rd in line (see 'official' dating at bottom!), however, I like to think of him as 'being here'.

Whilst true, I did only discover this a couple of days ago... it's the thought that counts. And the 'prestige'. :D

Cochise

Reaction score
This takes myself back....

Late dad's favourite - amongst many, to be fair. :D

Good bartenders, you would not perchance have in the recess of rumoured back cellars, some of the exceedingly special 30-year-old Bushmills recently released....

:omg:

View attachment 50125

I was introduced to Bushmills Black in an amazing pub in Clontarf, round about 2000.

My wife and I had taken our ancient van (we'd bought it to help with our house move, it wasn't our regular transport, but it refused to fail its MOT) over to Ireland to retrieve some computer equipment from my company's Irish depot that was closing down. We had expected to make the round trip in a day, so we'd taken no clothes or other overnight stuff with us. We'd helped clear out the depot so we arrived back at the ferry terminal grubby and knackered, only to learn all sailings out of Dublin had been cancelled due to bad weather. Just about everywhere we phoned to find somewhere to stay had been booked up solid due to earlier cancelled sailings, so finally we got this place in Clontarf.

Turned up there even more knackered. Was greeted as long lost brethren, was given a free 'bracer' of Bushmills Black, and generally, despite our filth, were treated as if we were the long lost American cousin who'd become a millionairess and had come back to share her wealth with the folks who'd stayed at home.

Got the same treatment when later we went to eat in the posh Indian restaurant above the bar. We had washed by then, but still had only the same mucky clothes. Didn't phase them one iota. Wish I could remember the name of the place.

It was then I started to fall in love with the Irish, which love has now grown into a full blown passion.

Last edited:

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Happy New Year fellow patrons. The In House GP, who is generally teetotal except at Christmas, has been experimenting with port the last week, so I wouldn't say no to a Graham's 20 Year old tawny, if such a thing is possible.

I'm raising this one to the demise of another aged relative, who passed on on Christmas Eve, but my sister only read the email informing her today. He was a week off 93, so it was a long life well-spent.

Lloyd

Reaction score
Happy New Year fellow patrons. The In House GP, who is generally teetotal except at Christmas, has been experimenting with port the last week, so I wouldn't say no to a Graham's 20 Year old tawny, if such a thing is possible.
I'm raising this one to the demise of another aged relative, who passed on on Christmas Eve ... He was a week off 93, so it was a long life well-spent.

Your Graham's Tawny Twenty, and my condolences. The bottle stays should you require its services further ...
Graham’s20TawnyPort.jpg

Lloyd

Reaction score
Bushmills Black is rather excellent. Among the Irish whiskeys, which I value for their smoothness.

Last point first ... Yes, we had a fresh bottle of the Bushmills 30 available. Unfortunately, it required multiple calls to identify and track down (on a holiday, no less ... ) the NASA engineers who could help us troubleshoot a set of glitches before we could make the protective panels deploy so the actual payload could be activated. We are now finally "go" ...
MsnCtrl-L.jpg
Bushmills30.jpegMsnCtrl-R.jpg

Nod to your grandfather, 'Numb.

Insofar as I believe this equals or exceeds the Bushmills Black Cochise reverently recalled, I'll leave it to you to share with him ...

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
Ah The Trolls. Evening, Lloyd. Evening all on this night of firsts n thirsts.
First first; my condolences, bugmum. I have it on no authority whatsoever that great uncle Jock was known as a reliable sort. 92 is indeed a good age to go and a very decent innings. Another Graham's for herself there pls, Lloyd, and mine's a Laphroig with a pint of Arthur's black barley.
(and just quietly, I've smuggled in this
4031571020_d812d8803f-resized-600.jpg
rather overpriced and undervalued bit of soju for young The Yithian should he happen in this morning ... with my regards and seiheibokmanipaduseyo, if I do say so) :bpals:

Coincidentally, bugmum (and pardon me for saying so but you look damn lovely tonight for a lady in bereavement), I myself have long established an intent to see a 92nd circuit - no more; no less - as I consider 92 somehow significant though I can't think why beyond the fact that at 46 my sedentary and admittedly monotonous life began to crumble. or should I concede was well into its crumblescence by that time, whereupon I stubbornly resolved to double down on my perceived poor fortune and by God! try to double-up on a life badly-lived the first time around. And here we are hard at it.

In a pub.

hm
Might have to rethink the technique. :yawn:

Second or subsequent first; money.
Money money money. I resolute to fix my financial woes for good n all. There it is in plain English. No no what hey now! I know whatcha thinking. Don't think that. It's already sorted. In my ... mind.

Did I just sensate a tap on the shoulder and turn to observe none other than Felix Nunuther walking away to his lowstool by the stained glass window to hunch and scowl and glare directly at me for reasons only we three can surmise, or was it merely yet another ill wind from the foul anus of Ialdabaoth himself?
Money. So I have a copy of Gordon White's The Chaos Protocols, which helpfully makes clear the method for magically working to procure wealth, and while not a modicum of elbow grease is required to see it through - not afraid of a little hard work are we, lloyd, I hereby declare to all and sundry that by the conclusion or even the occlusion of this, the year of Our Lord 2022, THE MONEY WILL HAVE SHOWN FORTH. OR FIFTH. OR SIX SIX SIXTH!!

Now, pardon the slurred dictation, but that's a keeper. I understand that by and by there has to be a reckoning upon any ascension to the dark arts; however, as I stride out on the plane of this fresh annuity armed with not a little relevant, reliable and researched foreknowledge, I am confident in my capacity to succeed in this noble mission, while in regard to karmic consequence, I do declare:

978499-mad-magazine-sadic-comics-humor-funny-comics-poster.jpg

Lloyd

Reaction score
... Another Graham's for herself there pls, Lloyd, and mine's a Laphroig with a pint of Arthur's black barley. ...

Bugmum still has the bottle at her disposal. Here's your Laphroaig ...

Laphroaig-10.jpg

Forgive me, but I can't determine what you're requesting for the accompanying pint.

Arthorius Barley Wine? Tartarus' King Arthur barleywine? Or ... ? :dunno:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Do we have to address you as 'your royal highness' or is that optional?
In no way whatsoever has this changed my outlook on life...!

Although, I must say, my newfound ancestral lineage is rather impressive. :)

This will help to explain how it has all come about:

Post in thread 'Cromer!' https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/cromer.65991/post-2139697

Consequently, my direct bloodline of great-grandfathers includes:

William de Normandie "William the Conqueror"
(1084-1027)

Richard II "le Bon" "The Good Duke de Normandy (958–1027)

Richard III "The Magnificent or The Devil" de Normandy (1001–1035)

Many other notables therein, such as:

Sir John de Balliol 5th Baron of Bywell Sheriff of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire (1208–1268).

It doesn't get much weirder than finding out your 24th great-grandfather was the Sheriff of Nottingham and you always thought that was a fictional character.

Nothing, so far, impresses more than the ancestor featured in above link.

We are talking serious Knights here!

I know from cursory research, some of my 'ancestral family' were Knights who fought in the Crusades.

Of particular intrigue, is whether any were also Knight Templars.

Should I even remotely be descended from one... too shiveringly awesome to even think about...

I need a drink! Please likewise avail yourself of a dram from the 'Chivas Royal Salute 38 Year Old Stone of Destiny'. :) (£1200 a bottle!)

royal-salute-38-year-old-stone-of-destiny-1285608_e.jpg

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
When I were a youthy xtian proselite, I met a Scotsman name of Jimmy ( no rly), who told me the boys at the corner bar called him ‘Chivas’ on account of his proclivity. He were no less than a Viet Nam vet and had beaten up a gang of toffs who’d accosted him.
He said to me, “skinny, I’m a demon for the drink, but if I’m no gain a drinkin’, what the fuck else am I gain do?!”

I had nothing to offer n reply. Nuttin.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I met a Scotsman name of Jimmy ( no rly), who told me the boys at the corner bar called him ‘Chivas’ on account of his proclivity. He were no less than a Viet Nam vet and h
In a delightful Fortean twist... was sure I had heard the name 'Chivas Jimmy' before.

Turns out this was the source.

What follows is merely an extract from a remarkable tale, which I have never known until now and doubtless likewise!

JIMMY BARCLAY, BALLANTINE’S AND CHIVAS REGAL

27 March, 2018
by Iain Russell

Jimmy Barclay (1885-1963) was a legendary figure in the Scotch whisky industry, described by the Canadian whisky executive Maxwell Henderson as ‘one of the greatest whisky entrepreneurs ever to graduate into the respectable era from the bootlegging days’.

The Canadian heard ‘amazing tales’ about Barclay’s adventures in New York during Prohibition, including ‘the night he climbed down the Hotel Astor’s fire escape to avoid being subpoenaed by internal revenue officers’. He was subsequently involved in some of the most important and complex whisky business deals of the 1940s and 1950s.

(...)

During the 1920s, he travelled extensively to establish the Ballantine’s and the Gaelic Old Smuggler brand names in the US. The fact that the Americans had recently introduced Prohibition was a mere inconvenience.

(...)

Herb Hatch of Hiram Walker believed that ‘Ballantine’s made its American debut in the whorehouses of Havana, Nassau and New York’ during the Prohibition years of the 1920s and early 1930s. Certainly, Barclay made influential contacts in the US, Bahamas and Canada during that time, including Jack Kriendler and Charlie Berns of the 21 Club, the famous Manhattan speakeasy, who also set up a liquor distribution company.

(...)

Cockney master blender Charlie Julian was employed to re-formulate Chivas Regal as a rich 12-year-old blend, and it was launched in New York in August 1951.

At a time when bottles of older Scotch were hard to find, Chivas Regal stood out from the crowd. By 1960, Seagram’s sold more than 100,000 cases in the US each year, and it remains (with Ballantine’s) one of the world’s most famous whisky brands.

(...)

The ever-restless Barclay left the Chivas board in the late 1950s, in search of yet more business opportunities. He bought four hotels, including the famous art deco Beresford in Glasgow, as well as three farms and a herd of pedigree Aberdeen Angus cattle.

(...)

(End)

This is only a snippet, the entire story is absolutely priceless!

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/whisky-heroes/18307/jimmy-barclay-ballantine-s-and-chivas-regal/

Also found a contemporary advertisement and reminded so much of the 'Troll's Head', this very New Year!

5039f280f1e1d00a0936d8c0c2cc9029--funny-funny-funny-scotch-whiskey.jpg

'Ballantine's all round please', good bartender...

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
bugmum (and pardon me for saying so but you look damn lovely tonight for a lady in bereavement)
Why, Skinny, you old dog, have you been peeking beneath my mourning veil again? Thanks for the drink - I haven't quite emptied the bottle yet, and will be returning it to @Lloyd at a convenient moment.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Wow!

Such riches in there! I will dig into them, when I get the time.
That will be, at least, two of us tnen!

It's presumably well known material, however, completely new to myself and an absolutely fascinating cameo of the time.

Typically Fortean, naturally, is that I only recently came across an article by Tiffany Thayer and thought it was so wonderful, transcribed a copy, which I wondered could I highlight one day.

This is how you castigate eloquently. :)

Doubt
The Fortean Society Magazine

Edited by Tiffany Thayer
November 1947, Issue No. 19

THE UNITED STATES OF DREAMLAND

"Hystencal" is the term invented for the doctor's use to shut your mouth when your wife is sick and he doesn't know what's wrong with her. For most rough and ready purposes it denotes the mildest form of insanity. "Hysterical" persons are not really ciazy, they just act as if they were. By extension, typical of this era of loose generalizations and to hell with details, the term has come to be applied to shut all our months whenever anything is going on which Science doesn't understand.

The editors of the freeprez have borrowed the gag from our doctors... by extension again... they place themselves on a level with the medicine men, above the masses to which they minister, immune to the effects of the own pargon, amulets and incantations.

One detail commonly overlooked by doctors and editors who lift themselves to the astral plane by their own boot-straps is the perniciousness of self-satisfaction.

No rose that blows can be so captivating, so enchanting in its fragrance, as are - to an individual - the odors he creates himself.

This matters very little in the case of a doctor in love with his own diagnosis. It your wife's "hysteria" kills her, that's no great loss to the world, whereas the fate of nations, civilizations, of the planets in their courses, may depend on the editors' whims.

The stench they raise daily is their ozone and it affects them much like opium, so that by constantly inhaling their own gasses they live in a perpetual dream world of their own creation, limiting ourselves to the local scene, they have set up the United States of Dreamland, whence this essay derives its title.

If the numerous editors created private worlds, like the thousands which revolve in Bedlams everywhere, they would be shut up with the other maniacs who think they are God, and although we might deplore their sad state, we should he protected from their violences.

Unfortunately for us, the great editorial delusion does not create private worlds. Its false appetites are not satisfied until vast numbers of the sane are behaving AS IF the synthetic cosmos of the editors diurnal vaporings were *bona fide*.

Like "hysterical" women, the editors generally retain some faint awareness of reality, and like maniacs, they are cunning.

Their faint awareness of reality is their yardstick by which they measure their power over the sane.

Their cunning has inspired them to unite their efforts to extend that power by enforcing the delusion of a single dream world universally instead of a different one in each circulation area, and the means they have devised to this end are called the Associated Press. the United Press and the International News Service.

These press associations and their member publishers own or control the means of broadcasting "news" by radio as well, so that any appearance of competition between the two media is the sheerest illusion.

You never have heard a scrap of news over the air until after it was for sale, printed, on the street. with the exception of sports events and a few rare accidents which have occurred under the eyes of an announcer already on the air. In this latter class, the burning of the Hindenberg and the crash of a plane into the Empire State Building are notable examples.

Yes, the means of general communication in the world today is a monopoly held by a small group of madmen who call everybody else "hysterical" and do everything in their power to make that wish thought a fact. Rational humans who, conceivably, might wish to compare notes about events in the real world have not the slightest chance to do so.

(...)

(End)

Thayer's entire, much lengthier, critique of the contemporary media, can be viewed here:

www.forteanmedia.com/Doubt_No_19.pdf

Also available, of course:

Resize_20220103_031630_0852.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collected-Annals-FORTEAN-SOCIETY-MAGAZINE/dp/B08BRG7134

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
Can I have a pint of Hophouse please? From some strange reason Guinness have stopped selling it but that should be no problem in here.

Its strange how things get lost for years and then a chance reference in a book or something makes a connection. It may seem daft, but I had completely filed away , in roughly the same place as Arthur Dent's planning permission, the fact that I was born with one brown and one blue eye. It was the blue one that was defective and which I eventually lost. I wonder if that happens often? The mismatched eyes I mean.

Lloyd

Reaction score
Can I have a pint of Hophouse please? From some strange reason Guinness have stopped selling it but that should be no problem in here. ...
Very well ...
GUINNESS-HopHouse13Lager.jpg
You may be overestimating Hop House 13's extinction. Its distribution ended in Britain (only) in April 2021. My understanding is that it's still distributed in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Guinness still lists it among their current products:

https://www.guinness.com/en/our-beers/guinness-hop-house-13/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... It may seem daft, but I had completely filed away , in roughly the same place as Arthur Dent's planning permission, the fact that I was born with one brown and one blue eye. It was the blue one that was defective and which I eventually lost. I wonder if that happens often? The mismatched eyes I mean.

The condition is called Heterochromia iridis (sometimes iridum). It's not strictly genetic in origin, and it can be associated with eye issues such as injury / trauma, melanoma and the side-effects of certain medications prescribed for glaucoma.

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/8590/heterochromia-iridis

Heterochromia iridis is rare, affecting fewer than 200 000 people in the United States. Although uncommon in humans, it is common in some breeds of cats, dogs and horses.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518194/