• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The "TryPraying" UK Campaign: Religion For Atheists & Sceptics

There appears to be quite a well-funded media campaign (advertising posters and online) centred around the phrase /tagline 'TryPraying' (or 'trypraying').

See http://www.trypraying.co.uk

What I find odd about this it's a Christian religious group's attempt to deliberately-attract atheists and sceptics into religion via a seven-day personal bootcamp of experiencing the purported power of praying to the God of Judeo-Christian tradition.

I'm going to call this movement pseudo-rationalised covert evangelism.

I feel the whole concept is a disturbing blend of self-parody and misdirection.

It uses a deliberately-understated communication style to make what are some outrageously-flawed claims (in addition to the implicit 'miracles in a week or a full refund')

It's Atheist reprogramming background material starts off with a statement that I'm broadly in support of...

.....but it then goes off into some of the most self-indulgent religious circularities ever possible. In particular, I love the last sentence in the paragraph below:

It continues with an astounding unassailable assertion:

I find the whole 'TryPraying' movement humourously horrifying, and would welcome some opinions from the Forum.

I don't think I've heard of this before (or perhaps I have, but have blocked it out as singularly unimportant). It does seem rather odd... are they short of church members, one has to wonder?

It is somewhat ironic that they require evidence that god doesn't exist. It doesn't sound like they're really being welcoming to those from the 'dark side', does it.

For what it's worth I am agnostic... I referred to myself as athiest for a long while until I discovered the concept of being agnostic which suits my position much better... I don't know if there is a god or not.

Anyway, since my teenage years, I have held by the wise words of Roger Taylor on the subject...

**warning - contains a swear word**

Maybe God is more like a scientist who puts certain ingredients in a petri dish and waits to see what happens. He may make interventions from time to time to try and nudge the experiment back on course, Christ being one such intervention.

The next petri dish along might be going better, so lets hope He doesn't decide to sterilise our dish and start again.
Been thinking about this...

For those religious, there's an acceptance that your own God is perfect

What if God isn't though...?

What if God makes mistakes - 'Those black holes are getting way far too big...'.

Any reasons why God can't be imperfect?

:evil: :bish:

the groups in power get to choose the god. And then the historians get to record it.
Symbiosis in action... :)

You have just reminded of something I was looking at earlier.

Suddenly thought of this celebrated painting:

'Christ of Saint John of the Cross', by Salvador Dali.

Delighted to learn it is still on display at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow, where I had seen the picture as a young lad - about 12-y-o.

Surprised to now discover it was painted by Dali - didn't know who the artist was and presumed a Renaissance origin.

Distinctly remember that as we were viewing the picture, one of my classmates expresses that it should have been called...'Look! You Can See My House from Here!'.

Screenshot_20200306_071701_resize_49.jpg

People who gleefully explain that they prayed, and avoided a tornado or flood damaging their house, or that their child recovered in a hospital full of ill children, or [your tragedy here] while others around them suffer, are horrible people. These smug bastards are a staple of our debased local news. They think their god want Teachers' Pets.

Back