The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Novena

Offanonagin
Sorry to hear that Mytho. :(

My only advice is to try to stay positive. I know that sounds trite as well as being very difficult at times like this but it can make a difference. Not that you shouldn't have a good old cathartic moan from time to time - and we're all here to listen! ;)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
You've gotta be your own dog...

Going full-time self-employed: best work-related move I ever made.
You have my sympathy, Myth.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Manuals on killing vamps, zombies, werewolfs, avoiding alien probes, etc. You know you want to and it would benefit society. Maybe branch out into apps?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Ooh! Ooh! Do me! Do me! :D
I can, but what was it that Loquaciousness said? "I charge extra for that". :p

Just kidding. I can, but I suppose we should have a dedicated thread for it, lest Mytho's thread turn into a tarot free-for-all. I'll make one in Esoterica

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
OK, wondrous people of the FTMB - can anybody suggest a Fortean-flavoured subject that would be a really popular read? I was thinking along the lines of doing some serious research for a non-fiction book that would be an interesting subject to delve into.
I note what Naughty_Felid said in a previous post - perhaps I could write an idiot's guide for killing vampires?
Or would something else be a more tasty subject?

You get to decide!!!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
OK, wondrous people of the FTMB - can anybody suggest a Fortean-flavoured subject that would be a really popular read? I was thinking along the lines of doing some serious research for a non-fiction book that would be an interesting subject to delve into.
I note what Naughty_Felid said in a previous post - perhaps I could write an idiot's guide for killing vampires?
Or would something else be a more tasty subject?

You get to decide!!!
Which Fortean topic interest you the most? ... chose that one and it should partly write itself through your enthusiasm ;)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The trouble with that could be the market is flooded with the popular subjects and the niche ones might not sell. Why don't you take a look around at the board and see what's most popular? Yes, that Weird Sex book could be a blockbuster!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Modern Urban Legends or Ghosts would, IMO, be popular.

Something that fascinates and then makes you think twice before walking to the taxi-rank alone after working late at the office. Security camera phantoms, alone in the underground car-parks, police yarns, night-watchmen's tales.

I haven't read it, but marketed correctly, an urban version of this could do well:

CROSSING THE LINE
Trespassing on railway weirdness

Paul Screeton

This is a book about railways such as has never been told before. Wonders and blunders, supernatural experiences, ritual customs, and a wealth of weird tales that sound as if they might be true. But surely they aren't? Or are they?

A lifelong interest in both trains and folklore, a willingness to sit sharing a pint or three with fellow enthusiasts, plus the practised ear of a professional journalist. All these have given Paul Screeton the unique ability to collect and write about this wonderful web of weirdness and ever-evolving lore.

Crossing the Line provides a wealth of tales to make even the delays on a train journey enjoyable. Then take an active role in keeping these tales alive by recounting the more perturbing ones to fellow passengers or unsuspecting 'gricers'...

Curiosity about railway folklore has created chapters ranging from ghosts and fairies to prophecy and inspiration; commuters' trials; crimes by the Krays, Great Train Robbery and mythical 'Maniac on the Platform'; legends surrounding locos and the strategic steam reserve; fortean phenomena; trainspotters and pedants; traditional folklore and contemporary legends.

The result is entertaining and erudite, broad and iconoclastic, scholarly but frequently nicely naughty. The range is stunningly eclectic and the style easy, evocative and witty.

As Hunter S. Thompson liked saying, 'buy the ticket, take the ride.'

Paul Screeton is a prolific writer and editor. He re-founded The Ley Hunter magazine in 1969 and in 1974 wrote Quicksilver Heritage, a pioneering overview of 'earth mysteries'. He currently edits Folklore Frontiers which he founded in 1985. For many years Paul combined working for the Hartlepool Mail with his interest in railways, contemporary folklore and local pubs.

Swifty

I'd like to do something that hasn't really been covered in much detail before, yet it's something that catches the imagination.
I don't know what, which is why I'm asking what other people think.
Weird sex, hm? I'll think about it, but it's not truly 'Fortean'.
Tantric sex and how tantrism goes way further than the more popularly reported sex techiques? .... google the venerable Geshe Kelsang Kenyrab (I think the spelling is correct) ... no idea if he's still alive but he's a yoda type little Buddhist Monk at the Tara centre (which is actually an old stately home that they hire/own in Derbyshire) ..my ex used to go on retreats there .... you should probably be able to stay there as well if you explain why.

edit: looks like he's been promoted to Gyatso! .. only met him once and he spent half the time laughing at (or with) me ... hopefully that was a compliment? :oops: ... he's a dude though! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/geshekelsang

Last edited:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Mytho, I don't know if this is a particular interest of yours, but I think an up-and-coming (and relatively unexplored) subject is video-game and computer related urban legends/ghost stories. It's as if urban legends have expanded into the virtual world as well. Most of the tales are in the form of creepy pastas and are not well written. I'd love to see what a deft writer could do with them.

This might sell well with younger folks and video game addicts, and for urban legend aficionados it's a new set of tales to explore. My OH wanted to take this up but he simply doesn't have time. Maybe something like this would perk your interest?

Rosebud

Ephemeral Spectre
The trouble with that could be the market is flooded with the popular subjects and the niche ones might not sell. Why don't you take a look around at the board and see what's most popular? Yes, that Weird Sex book could be a blockbuster!
I think GNC may have picked a winner!

Go on Mytho, it's worth it just to be able to tell people you are a weird sexpert. :cool:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
How about a book called 'where did all the monsters go?' Examining the debunking of Yetis, Bigfoot, Nessie etc debunking orbs and why, despite the fact that everyone has a camera on them, less forteana is seen these days? You cover the spooky Fortean stuff, as well as the sceptic view at the same time.

Swifty

''Antarctic post office job, working with 'smelly' penguins''

''It's an all expenses trip to the other side of the world, where you'll also be paid more than £1,000 per month.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31499509[/QUOTE]

Have just mentioned this to my girlfriend and she says I'd better get my passport sorted out :) ... I'm not even joking, as mad as it sounds this is right up my alley! ....

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
"Can you carry a big heavy box over slippery rocks and slushy snow whilst dodging penguins?" asks the job advertisement.

"Are you happy not to shower for up to a month, live in close proximity to three people and 2,000 smelly penguins for five months?"

'Check' to all of those! :D

Swifty

Last edited: