The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
That's code for "We want someone who we can pay less"
There's another factor that's often in play when evaluating over-qualified applicants. It's common for employers to wonder whether the applicant will jump to a better job at the first opportunity. I've known interviewers / reviewers to specifically cite this as a second reason for not selecting an excessively-qualified applicant (either me or someone else).

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
If you're prepared to take less money, you could suggest it.
The jobs I'm hearing this about are already for less money.

It may be that they think I'll jump ship at the first chance, it's more bizarre that it's happening after the conversations that I've had at interview... the one yesterday was a role that had a lot of development in for me and I'd stressed that as there were aspects of it I'd have needed some support with, also the sort of role where I usually lose to a better experienced candidate.

At a previous one I'd talked at interview about how different the role wasn't from previous ones I've done.

I think some of the issue may be that I have more general experience than the person that would be line managing me, which some people feel threatened by.

Could also be she had an internal candidate she was stuck on for the role.

It's annoying as they clearly do know your experience in advance from your cv.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
The jobs I'm hearing this about are already for less money.

It may be that they think I'll jump ship at the first chance, it's more bizarre that it's happening after the conversations that I've had at interview... the one yesterday was a role that had a lot of development in for me and I'd stressed that as there were aspects of it I'd have needed some support with, also the sort of role where I usually lose to a better experienced candidate.
That's always the right thing to do - admit to what you don't know.

At a previous one I'd talked at interview about how different the role wasn't from previous ones I've done.

I think some of the issue may be that I have more general experience than the person that would be line managing me, which some people feel threatened by.
That can be a problem. But that's in their head, and annoying though it is, if you were to get that position, it could be hard work. If you use your experience you'll be threatening. If you don't, you're watching a car-crash and you'll as like or not be censured for not speaking up.

Could also be she had an internal candidate she was stuck on for the role.
That also seems likely, internal candidates with a track record are seen as low risk, low uncertainty, on a personal level for the line-manager, if not for the business.

It's annoying as they clearly do know your experience in advance from your cv.
...but it wouldn't be the first time interviewers didn't read a CV. I've had interviews where they were trying to read it on the day in front of me. So rude.

Hang in there and keep going. There are enough sane people in the world.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
I just told them the truth and i produced a letter from my last job about why they let me go, i said, 'I'm not going to get the job now, am I?' She looked at me and said 'Yes you are, you told me the truth, if you had lied to me i would have found out sooner or later' I was kinda shocked, and I had also worked for this company before in another home which they had sold, so the owner knew me and she congratulated me at getting the job. I am on 3 months trial at the mo. Do not give up OWB, all the best, there is someone out there that will appreciate your'e talents

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
My 24th interview this morning, buggers did not bother to offer me a coffee or glass of water.

Quite a disproportionate number of the interviews I'm going for aren't leading to anyone getting a job, employer relists the advert a few days later or goes back to the agency and has another set of candidates. Not sure why they bother pulling people in to interview when they can see from people's cv's that they're not going to make the cut.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My 24th interview this morning, buggers did not bother to offer me a coffee or glass of water.

Quite a disproportionate number of the interviews I'm going for aren't leading to anyone getting a job, employer relists the advert a few days later or goes back to the agency and has another set of candidates. Not sure why they bother pulling people in to interview when they can see from people's cv's that they're not going to make the cut.
Sounds like they're 'going through the motions'. Eventually, they'll settle on somebody they already had in mind, using the fake excuse 'oh, but none of the other candidates were suitable'.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Sounds like they're 'going through the motions'. Eventually, they'll settle on somebody they already had in mind, using the fake excuse 'oh, but none of the other candidates were suitable'.
There might be some of that but it seems like a very long winded and wasteful way to go about it, they only really need to put their star candidate in the first round of interviews and make sure nobody else does too well.

I wonder if it's like the thing people are saying about online dating now, that it's become so easy that people lose interest in the first minute or two when it looks like their expectations won't be met and just rush onto the next one... again and again.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There might be some of that but it seems like a very long winded and wasteful way to go about it, they only really need to put their star candidate in the first round of interviews and make sure nobody else does too well.

I wonder if it's like the thing people are saying about online dating now, that it's become so easy that people lose interest in the first minute or two when it looks like their expectations won't be met and just rush onto the next one... again and again.
Whatever the case, it's a huge waste of everyone's time.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Quite, that's what's been mashing my brain about it.
For the most part, folk don't mind wasting your time. It's annoying, but there it is. I'm grouchy at best and if someone wastes my time once, I'll let it go once, but as soon as it's clear it's a pattern of behaviour (and not truly unforeseen events) I don't facilitate it. You DO NOT get to waste my time. If someone is always late, I'll stop meeting them.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
For the most part, folk don't mind wasting your time. It's annoying, but there it is. I'm grouchy at best and if someone wastes my time once, I'll let it go once, but as soon as it's clear it's a pattern of behaviour (and not truly unforeseen events) I don't facilitate it. You DO NOT get to waste my time. If someone is always late, I'll stop meeting them.
That's pretty much what I've been thinking too, problem is that it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to figure out which ones are going to do this in advance, what's mashing my brain is that there's no obvious tell or recurrent theme, sometimes it's obvious when you get to the interview, other times it can go super well and you don;t realise until afterwards. There may be no other solution other than accepting that I can't easily filter and putting up with it.

In better news, I had a really great interview to finish the week off with, some of the most friendly and encouraging interviewers I;ve ever had, funnily enough in a building with pictures and murals of sheep and llamas everywhere... and a taxidermy sheep in reception.

It's nice to be reminded that some are decent people and not just the twats I seem to get a run on now and again.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Yeah, had my 4th one of those yesterday too. Rather annoyingly from a company that actually rung me and asked me to apply. Very bizarre.

In better news, found out this morning that I've scored 4 weeks of work in Bradford starting tomorrow, am looking forward just to the respite from such a horrid job market for a little while, may go on a bit longer if I'm lucky.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
well done! is it exavtly the same as the previous one?
The temp assignment? Apparently mainly sticking a huge backlog of invoices on their system, not gripping but I've done worse jobs, it pays ok and am told the team is very friendly.

Very glad I got that electric bike back when I did the Harrogate run, as they've cut the bus service from where I live to Bradford, uphill almost all the way out but short enough distance I can crank up the assist and make short work of it. Will take less time that way than my contingency routeplan by train.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
That sounds pretty decent :) Is the system one you know or will you have to train?
New system to me but not hard to use, turns out it's matching foreign currency payments, easy for what I need to do right now, a colleague held my hand for the first 3 or 4, ok after that unless anything funny comes up.

Weather is a pain in the bum, can get there easily on my bike but not in this wind, bus service from where I live sadly cut a year or so back so I'm having to go into town and come out again.