The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

I was sorry I hadn't stayed longer and seen how far I could push back. Bullies can't bear being stood up to. An institution that employs them isn't worth working for. You deserve better.
That.

Yup, it's no good walking out of a job if there's nothing to walk into.
Depends on one's circumstances. If you have commitments such as family and/or mortgage, good sense to hunker down, but it will destroy you in the end - by all means dig in, but make a decision and look for something else.

I've seen those who give in and take the money in perpetuity and it's not pretty, they're dead or despairing behind the eyes.

Life's too short to put up with shit at work.
Oh yes.

A verbal warning to the employee, then a written warning and then a final warning ... employers must do these correctly, fill out the paper work correctly, send you notice in writing before doing stages 2 and 3 (I think it's 3 days notice?) .. they also have to inform you that you can bring someone with you (union rep or co worker) .. you can refuse to attend if any of the above isn't carried out correctly. I've refused to attend 2 disciplinary meetings before and also sent written correspondence back to them explaining why keeping a copy for myself.

As Skargy has pointed out, some managers try to skip correct procedure counting on you being to scared to stick up for yourself.
It's a two way street. Most employers are frightened to do this to get rid of the problem people. I'm baffled by this (I've fired two people in my life, my colleagues were pleased about it both times).

So true! Also, don't be afraid to take a menial job to get by.
^this^ I've done menial things in lieu of 'a first choice'. It show flexibility and a work ethic, some might say.

Oddly, one of the interview questions in the new treadmill was "How do you feel about rolling up sleeves and moving the desks and re-routing the wiring?" They didn't want anyone in the place who wasn't prepared to muck in.

A last word about the sociopathic in offices. They always cost more than they bring in. Any sensible business would weed them out at interview or during the first year/second year of employment. It would be good business to do so in fact.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A last word about the sociopathic in offices. They always cost more than they bring in. Any sensible business would weed them out at interview or during the first year/second year of employment. It would be good business to do so in fact.
So true. Even where the sociopath is doing the Devil's work, like harassing people out of the place to save on redundancy payments (as seen with Techy's own eyes) it always brings in trouble. Expensive tribunal-type trouble.

So true. Even where the sociopath is doing the Devil's work, like harassing people out of the place to save on redundancy payments (as seen with Techy's own eyes) it always brings in trouble. Expensive tribunal-type trouble.
Quite.

It's not hard to weed out such types. There's a weird idea that sociopathy is 'good' in business as it equates to dispassionate decision making. Sadly for that theory, it also equates to 'self-centred decision making' and also deals in dominion over others for personal satisfaction.

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Quite.

It's not hard to weed out such types. There's a weird idea that sociopathy is 'good' in business as it equates to dispassionate decision making. Sadly for that theory, it also equates to 'self-centred decision making' and also deals in dominion other others for personal satisfaction.
May be a particular thing about the 3rd sector but the ones I've locked horns with have tended to be the 'permanent victim' variety ie everyone they have a problem with is 'harassing' them, or if they're particularly canny then they make like they're standing up for someone else who is the 'victim'.

You'd think someone would get wise when it's 10 years later and they've chopped through one 'bully' after another, but apparently not.

May be a particular thing about the 3rd sector but the ones I've locked horns with have tended to be the 'permanent victim' variety ie everyone they have a problem with is 'harassing' them, or if they're particularly canny then they make like they're standing up for someone else who is the 'victim'.

You'd think someone would get wise when it's 10 years later and they've chopped through one 'bully' after another, but apparently not.
Nah, that's common in retail too. Mrs. Coal has left a job because of two 'permanent victims' who simply called the union if they didn't want to do something (like stock the chiller because it was cold, or those groceries because they're heavy and my favourite "I just don't do tills", and so on). She got fed up with doing other peoples work but really fed up with 'managers' who let it slide, who are just as bad and as culpable.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Nah, that's common in retail too. Mrs. Coal has left a job because of two 'permanent victims' who simply called the union if they didn't want to do something (like stock the chiller because it was cold, or those groceries because they're heavy and my favourite "I just don't do tills", and so on). She got fed up with doing other peoples work but really fed up with 'managers' who let it slide, who are just as bad and as culpable.
That's much how it's been for me, always the mangers who do nothing and pretend like there isn't a problem, or worse buy into the victim narrative while your own job is made impossible.

That's much how it's been for me, always the mangers who do nothing and pretend like there isn't a problem, or worse buy into the victim narrative while your own job is made impossible.
It's terribly destructive isn't it? It's interesting in that such types are adept at finding jobs and situation where they can get away with it and are seldom seen at the figurative coal-face. It's almost like it's on purpose.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
so my life of lazy is over, for i have rejoined the world of work. needs must an all that but, oh, who can be bothered with it! its only been one day and i'm exhausted!
You're now no longer 'lady loafer', but you're now 'lady Stakhanovite'?

Victory

Ephemeral Spectre
Thank G-D I have a job.
It's a temp office admin job, but better than nothing.
Does not stimulate me, but the people are nice, if a little odd at times.
One thing though...behind me sits a very overweight man.
And he gets farting attacks...loud loud farts...like blasts of a trombone....at one minute intervals.

Thank G-D I have a job.
It's a temp office admin job, but better than nothing.
Does not stimulate me, but the people are nice, if a little odd at times.
One thing though...behind me sits a very overweight man.
And he gets farting attacks...loud loud farts...like blasts of a trombone....at one minute intervals.
Do any of the permanent staff pass comment on this windy individual?