The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Boss is taking risks.
He's a wild child for sure. I'm friends with his Dad. It all happened yesterday though .. he was still young back then to be fair ..

We've got exactly 13 sausages and 30 people having breakfast tomorrow morning .. not my fault and also not my problem because I'm off for two days now .. so Nigel is going to have to buy some more on his way to work. Ace. Twat.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Or give em an extra egg :p
Swifty, isnt nitrous oxide dangerous if you keep sucking it in?

Swifty

Dunno .. I wasn't daft enough to inhale more than one balloon. Anything's dangerous if you do too much of it.

Swifty

Weird, the bugger didn't work on me
Me neither. My voice just went a bit deeper like a reverse helium effect. I've been told people can whitey on it but we're older and wiser now aren't we .. there's a whole way of doing the stuff 'correctly' that was explained to me by a wise old 17 year old .. I can't be arsed with this kind of thing anymore to be honest so I'm not going to do it again but never say never and all that ..

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
He's a wild child for sure. I'm friends with his Dad. It all happened yesterday though .. he was still young back then to be fair ..

We've got exactly 13 sausages and 30 people having breakfast tomorrow morning .. not my fault and also not my problem because I'm off for two days now .. so Nigel is going to have to buy some more on his way to work. Ace. Twat.
First, there was the miracle of the loaves and fishes and now - the Miracle of the Cromer Sausages.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It certainly is. I used to take my kids' friends on outings with mine and can remember going to a science fair where we all had great fun inhaling the gas and imitating Mickey Mouse. Any of us could have dropped dead!

Swifty

It certainly is. I used to take my kids' friends on outings with mine and can remember going to a science fair where we all had great fun inhaling the gas and imitating Mickey Mouse. Any of us could have dropped dead!
I think you're remembering helium which gives you a high voice .. nitrous oxide is different and lasts for about the same length of time although you get a lower voice, it's not illegal but as in anything, not advisable to inhale too much of it .. chef's also sometimes use nitrous oxide in professional kitchens, I was administered some in the back of an ambulance once for pain. Lovely stuff.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I think you're remembering helium which gives you a high voice .. nitrous oxide is different and lasts for about the same length of time although you get a lower voice, it's not illegal but as in anything, not advisable to inhale too much of it .. chef's also sometimes use nitrous oxide in professional kitchens, I was administered some in the back of an ambulance once for pain. Lovely stuff.

Yup, you're totally right, it's helium I'm thinking of.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Then of course there's liquid nitrogen -
Wine bar fined after woman's stomach removed following liquid nitrogen shot

Preston crown court heard on Thursday that she was left close to death after experiencing “an explosion” in her stomach four seconds after the cocktail was poured for her.

Scanlon said: “I turned to the man and asked if it was OK to drink. He said ‘yes’. Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth. Straight away I knew something was not right. My stomach expanded. The manager said nothing about waiting for it to die down.”

Scanlon from Heysham, Lancashire, was taken to the Royal Lancaster infirmary for surgery to remove her stomach and her small bowel connected with her oesophagus, to save her life.

Swifty

Jesus Christ .. at least back when we were experimenting with drugs we knew what we were taking .. liquid nitrogen .. I've heard it all now ..

.. talking of stupid bar tenders, a bar I occasionally drank in in Nuneaton when I was a student made the national news because of someone who died after drinking pint cocktails of spirits, the law was quite rightly changed because of that. I was sitting in there with my landlady when a brick came through the window a few days later.

nitrous oxide

edit .. has anyone got any idea how the camera crew pulled off the waist level shot of Steve Martin walking from the street then into the building through the revolving doors with no discernable edit considering this was filmed in the 80's ..

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
edit .. has anyone got any idea how the camera crew pulled off the waist level shot of Steve Martin walking from the street then into the building through the revolving doors with no discernable edit considering this was filmed in the 80's ..
Similar was famously done in Hitchcock's Frenzy in 1972, where the camera moves backwards from the scene of a murder down a narrow staircase and through doors and out onto a bright busy London street.

The Camera Leaves The Crime Scene
The relevant bit is from 2:03 onwards.

Last edited:

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Jesus Christ .. at least back when we were experimenting with drugs we knew what we were taking .. liquid nitrogen .. I've heard it all now ..

.. talking of stupid bar tenders, a bar I occasionally drank in in Nuneaton when I was a student made the national news because of someone who died after drinking pint cocktails of spirits, the law was quite rightly changed because of that. I was sitting in there with my landlady when a brick came through the window a few days later.

nitrous oxide

Possibly shot through the glass. Or the doors are rotated in as he approaches them. It would be easy to see if it were slowed down.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Similar was famously done in Hitchcock's Frenzy in 1972, where the camera moves backwards from the scene of a murder down a narrow staircase and through doors and out onto a bright busy London street.

This is a long stedicam shot, beautiful, the pacing and framing tell the story, and that splash of red as the camera starts to retreat. Carpenter did the same towards the beginning of Halloween in 78.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This is a long stedicam shot, beautiful, the pacing and framing tell the story, and that splash of red as the camera starts to retreat. Carpenter did the same towards the beginning of Halloween in 78.
Steadicam wasn't invented until the mid-70s. The Frenzy scene was done on a hand-held camera borne by an operator with nerves of steel walking backwards downstairs in one shot. Awesome.

Swifty

Ta .. and btw what were you doing up at quarter to five in the morning?? .. you hussy .. and dressed like that! *tsk*

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Ta .. and btw what were you doing up at quarter to five in the morning?? .. you hussy .. and dressed like that! *tsk*
Went to bed at barely 10pm last night and only sleep for 6 hours. If I can't get back to sleep I surf t'internet. Gives Techy a break!
(He ends up like that that's wizard's nose otherwise.)

The Little Shop of Horrors shot would have been on Steadicam but as you say, how it follows Martin through the door is impressive. Pure skill!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.

nitrous oxide

Looks to me like it was shot through the glass of the door and then pulled back as Martin walked towards it maybe even with a slight use of the zoom lens.

Swifty

Looks to me like it was shot through the glass of the door and then pulled back as Martin walked towards it maybe even with a slight use of the zoom lens.
I've re watched it a few times to look for a missing pane of glass in the revolving door but it appears all of the windows in the door have glass in them, you can see a small light reflection bouncing off the pane that it would have had to travel through so I agree it's a zoom shot through glass. I think the lighting crew would have been heavily involved to make the shot work .. and obviously it goes without saying that the sound mix was done after .. it's nice work.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient