The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The company I work for entered administration last week, today was supposed to be payday but no pay now expected and likely no job on Monday.
Sorry to hear that .. do you mean liquidation .. you can't keep a good man down though so you'll bounce back. I had a month's pay stolen from me once after correctly giving a month's notice. It's fucked up.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
If so once it does that you should get a form, from the liquidators, then you can claim your wages and your holiday pay back from them

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If so once it does that you should get a form, from the liquidators, then you can claim your wages and your holiday pay back from them
They prioritise shareholders first. Employees get what's left. If nothing is left, it has to be claimed from the state - which will pay the statutory minimum.

Lb8535

Abominable Snowman
Sorry to hear that .. do you mean liquidation .. you can't keep a good man down though so you'll bounce back. I had a month's pay stolen from me once after correctly giving a month's notice. It's fucked up.
Hmm, in the US pay comes right after the tax authorities, and the State Dept of Labor enforces. Not nice to put employees last.

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
Thank you all so much for your messages of support, I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that .. do you mean liquidation .. you can't keep a good man down though so you'll bounce back.
No, administration is the legal status. While a company is in administration it is protected from creditors, including employees, for the duration of the administration period which is 14 days. The assets of the business are sold by the administrators to attempt to pay creditors. Secured debts like charges, mortgages, debentures are paid first. It used to be that HMRC was next in the order of priority but that's now employees then other unsecured creditors like cleaners, accountants, HMRC. But the company doesn't have the assets to make payroll.

The insolvency service, yes. Hope it doesn't come to it and I am not sure how quickly the money clears. I looked on their site and they encourage people to claim unemployment benefits as soon as possible or "you might get less money in your statutory notice pay payment" but at the moment I am in an uncertain position. It is possible that whoever buys the business will need to keep the employees as it is a software company, the code itself has limited value without people to continue developing and supporting it. But the new owner has no legal obligation to pay the owed salary. So I just don't know if I still have a job or if I will be able to claim the statutory compensation.

Shady

I wish you all the best and hope you get all your money, ive been thro it twice and got it, the third time he wouldnt declare bankruptcy so we got nothing, we did take him to industrial tribunal and we won, but still couldnt get the money, he owed about six of us roughly over a thousand each

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Good luck, Gloucestrian. If the company's IP is bought out, they may keep development staff on for a while to transfer the technology over. There will be a transition period where those staff members will be paid by the purchasing company. But they aren't guaranteed jobs either.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Thank you all so much for your messages of support, I really appreciate it.

No, administration is the legal status. While a company is in administration it is protected from creditors, including employees, for the duration of the administration period which is 14 days. The assets of the business are sold by the administrators to attempt to pay creditors. Secured debts like charges, mortgages, debentures are paid first. It used to be that HMRC was next in the order of priority but that's now employees then other unsecured creditors like cleaners, accountants, HMRC. But the company doesn't have the assets to make payroll.

The insolvency service, yes. Hope it doesn't come to it and I am not sure how quickly the money clears. I looked on their site and they encourage people to claim unemployment benefits as soon as possible or "you might get less money in your statutory notice pay payment" but at the moment I am in an uncertain position. It is possible that whoever buys the business will need to keep the employees as it is a software company, the code itself has limited value without people to continue developing and supporting it. But the new owner has no legal obligation to pay the owed salary. So I just don't know if I still have a job or if I will be able to claim the statutory compensation.
F*ck me that is dire. I've been laid off for Christmas a couple of times and know how bad it sucks, that is a really nasty situation though.

Was looking earlier in the year and calling the current job market bizarre and unpredictable doesn;t do it justice. :(

Swifty

Here's my favourite young waiter from work. We cheek each other all the time so he keeps my morale up. The Mrs discovered him and calls him her "protégé" .. he's a right naughty little fucker but he knows how to get away with it .. the boxer in black, Bartek with 'Venum' written on his head shield .. :thrash:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Been there and so have many friends. The textile industry here in the Scottish Borders has taken an almighty hit in recent years.

Added to which, some electronics companies who were a mainstay, basically closed overnight.

Exacta Circuits in Selkirk, were a prime example - IIRC, some 1500 jobs lost.

New employment opportunities since...

Have to say, really struggling to think of anything significant.

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
Been there and so have many friends. The textile industry here in the Scottish Borders has taken an almighty hit in recent years.

Added to which, some electronics companies who were a mainstay, basically closed overnight.
Sorry to hear that you have had to go through that. To be honest the employment opportunities in my area have improved over the last decade. It was pretty dire in the early 2000s particularly in the industry I work in (software development) and many of the jobs that were created in the area have been lost again but on the whole it has got better.

I have a feeling things will get worse in the short term before hopefully improving in the longer term, particularly where it comes to my industry. I'm "lucky" as there's always some in-house IT roles about that I can apply for, and I have quite a diverse CV from having had to be flexible while pursuing a "career" (I hesitate to call it that really, such as it is) in the industry, and will likely be on a much lower salary but such is life. Much better than being unemployed.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
...will likely be on a much lower salary but such is life. Much better than being unemployed.
Great Post. You couldn't make this up... daughter has completed her music degree and looking for temporary work, whilst deciding on vacancies she has been offered, starting in January.

Earlier this evening, she called to tell about her new job.

Now employed as a Christmas Elf in large department store...

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
... daughter has completed her music degree and looking for temporary work... Now employed as a Christmas Elf in large department store...
Love it! All credit to her for giving it a go, sounds like she is the kind of person who will give it her all and will have a blast while doing it. There's dignity in all kind of work
.. even while wearing pointy ears!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Swifty

Venum is the company name. It may have been chosen to avoid trademark clashes, because 'venom' is a much-trademarked term.

'Venum' is also an Anglicized form for the Latin noun denoting something offered for sale.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0060:entry=venum

... so there may be an unexpected Latin pun involved.
Thanks for the clear up mate .. me and Bart spar all the time but only for fun, This vid clip is the first time I've ever seen him physically fight anyone for real. We normally spend every day just making 'your Mum' jokes at each other and watching his physical style of fighting matches his verbal sense of humour and personality. Top lad.

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
Venum is the company name. It may have been chosen to avoid trademark clashes, because 'venom' is a much-trademarked term.

'Venum' is also an Anglicized form for the Latin noun denoting something offered for sale.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0060:entry=venum

... so there may be an unexpected Latin pun involved.
The world needs more Latinate puns, but I fear this might be more influenced by Google - the top result for that spelling is none other than the boxing equipment company. See also popular beat combo chvrches.

Shady

Knew he would win, stronger fighter tighter punches (not all the time, but better than the other) the other swung like a drunk most of the time

Swifty

Ouch ..

.. I almost feel sorry for my new young co worker but? .. he tried to talk me into me working tomorrow night on my own. Friday nights and Saturday nights are our busiest nights normally. He offered to make it up to me by working on our quietist night of the week. Tuesday.

I showed his message to our head chef who gets the final say, we both laughed at the obvious blag, I told our head chef I'd do it anyway if he wanted me to? .. head chef has given me the whole day off instead lol ..

Don't get me wrong, this lad is a grafter, something me and the boss have recognised already but he was also originally only hired to back me up so life's a bitch .. I hope he doesn't quit over Christmas or I'm going to be in a world of hurt .. staff are dropping off like flies at the moment anyway, partly due to cost cutting ..