The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Christmas and New Year always sorts the wheat from the chaff
You're not wrong shades. I've decided to buckle though and do tonight on my own for him. He says he's helping a mate move flat which I highly suspect to be bullshit although he's a very good worker normally, endearingly asking me if I need him to do anything all the time .. I don't exploit him but other people will until he learns the score .. and I don't want to lose him over Christmas.

Our head chef normally has the final say but he's left the final decision down to me so I'm giving the kid tonight off. I hope I've made the right decision. Our business owners will benefit not having to pay him tonight and all that, I just hope we're not rammed.

I gave him the all clear online with a jokey " .. and even if she is good looking .. don't name it after me." .. he's only 17.

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
They're cutting staff at the hotel in which my partner works too. She works in the restaurant or on the bar depending on where they are short staffed. It seems such a false economy: if service time degrades due to the lack of staff they'll lose customers.

A quick update on my situation: after the company went into administration, I was made redundant last week. I have been interviewing widely but frustratingly I haven't yet had an interview in Gloucester, where I live. Yesterday I was in Bristol for an interview, I have had one in Worcester and today I am headed north again for an interview with another company. Assuming that I can: on my way back from Bristol yesterday trains going north from Gloucester were cancelled due to flooding.

On the redundancy side, I haven't had the case number yet so can't apply to the insolvency service yet. All in all a very frustrating fortnight so far.

Swifty

They're cutting staff at the hotel in which my partner works too. She works in the restaurant or on the bar depending on where they are short staffed. It seems such a false economy: if service time degrades due to the lack of staff they'll lose customers.

A quick update on my situation: after the company went into administration, I was made redundant last week. I have been interviewing widely but frustratingly I haven't yet had an interview in Gloucester, where I live. Yesterday I was in Bristol for an interview, I have had one in Worcester and today I am headed north again for an interview with another company. Assuming that I can: on my way back from Bristol yesterday trains going north from Gloucester were cancelled due to flooding.

On the redundancy side, I haven't had the case number yet so can't apply to the insolvency service yet. All in all a very frustrating fortnight so far.
Sorry mate .. you'll get there I'm sure .. your luck sounds as bad as mine often is.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Best of possible luck, Gloucestrian.

There's never a good time to get the news, but with Christmas in the offing it could be stressful.

Swifty

When me and the ex were going through a similar time, I thought "Sod it! .. I'm broke all the time .. might as well be broke but live at the seaside instead." That's how low my ambition in life had become.

I was in my early 30's and to date it's probably still the bravest thing I've ever done .. even though me and the ex split up (she ran off with another bloke), my life and health improved hugely (apart from the kidney stones later on) .. I was suddenly being offered management positions in gorgeous surroundings left right and centre, something that had never happened to me before and my bank balance got me to the point where I'd paid my mortgage off in my early 40's .. aybe you could both relocate? .. hard work and daunting but it's worth it Start a new life. Hopefully your Mrs won't run off with another bloke.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Sounds like its the best thing she did for you Swifty, maybe she was a wraith.

Swifty

Sounds like its the best thing she did for you Swifty, maybe she was a wraith.
.. that's what she said to me when we were breaking up .. we didn't have an argument or anything .. in fact, to this day I'm still not sure if she dumped me or I dumped her, we just looked at each other and sort of knew *emotional piano music* .. but she did say "You've always wanted to live by the sea. I've done this for you" .. and she was 100% right on both scores .. I'm not ashamed to admit I had tears rolling down my face. A barmaid gave her daggers for some reason so we left the bar ..

.. to ruin this heart warming anecdote, we did end up having another shag about 6 months later but that's by the by .. and now I'm with THE MRS instead.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra

I seem to have a similar issue and don't understand why either... live in Leeds but a disproportionate number of jobs and the ones I tend to score on are out of town. Was in Harrogate for two years then after I got laid off again found some contract work in Bradford that's holding out for now.

skinny

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I feel the pain of those of us struggling to get what you desperately need, especially at this time of the year.

Reason I've been away from the board is that out of the the blue five weeks ago work called me. I'd not been in a classroom for about 6 months, I prepared and sold my house just prior to the phone call. I got the call as I was moving the last trailer-load into storage.
I've just finished my first session of teaching which was straight back in at the deep end with 22hrs class contact time per week and it savaged me, physically. I'm just after sleeping pretty much non-stop since Friday evening and feel ready for the next slew starting tomorrow.

Seems it never rains... I will need to set myself up for the inevitable evaporation of work in January or Febryary, but I'm squatting at my folks' house and have no mortgage or bills to pay currently. Tomorrow should see me get my house payment. It was supposed to be Friday last but my banks being a bank. I expected them to fuck me around so I'm calm... for now. If by this time tomorrow I'm still waiting, I'll be going to visit the Ombudsman. My conveyancer has tried her guts out to get onto someone at the bank who can move thhis, but she has been absolutely stonewalled. I had previously been very pleased with the way I'd been treated, but they have now lost a customer.

Blessings of Saint Nickers to you all.

Swifty

Christmas and New Year always sorts the wheat from the chaff
I thought of your above post the other day when one of the chefs told me my new 17 year old assistant was, in fact, playing a Cromer football game and not "helping a mate move flat" as he told me so I'd work last Friday night alone .. I now address him as "Ferris" and thought of your post Shades so dropped an extra ominous "Good luck over Christmas" .. and his team lost the game btw .. the little twat ..

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Nay trust anybody laddie, is that one of the guys in the video you made?

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
I am back in the land of the gainfully employed, or I will be shortly - I accepted a job offer today. Thanks very much all for your good thoughts, appreciate it.

When me and the ex were going through a similar time, I thought "Sod it! .. I'm broke all the time .. might as well be broke but live at the seaside instead." That's how low my ambition in life had become.

I was in my early 30's and to date it's probably still the bravest thing I've ever done .. even though me and the ex split up (she ran off with another bloke), my life and health improved hugely (apart from the kidney stones later on) .. I was suddenly being offered management positions in gorgeous surroundings left right and centre, something that had never happened to me before and my bank balance got me to the point where I'd paid my mortgage off in my early 40's .. aybe you could both relocate? .. hard work and daunting but it's worth it Start a new life. Hopefully your Mrs won't run off with another bloke.
Thanks for this Swifty, I read it shortly after you posted it but I was having a bit of a rough time at the time so didn't feel up to replying! Your post gave me a good laugh at a particularly dark moment though. I've definitely considered relocation and I probably will at some point, at present it's not really an option unfortunately. Family ties (what little family I have left) and also lack of funds restrict us somewhat. But perhaps at some point I'll make the move to the seaside! Cromer here I come! :) Well, more likely Wales actually.

I seem to have a similar issue and don't understand why either... live in Leeds but a disproportionate number of jobs and the ones I tend to score on are out of town. Was in Harrogate for two years then after I got laid off again found some contract work in Bradford that's holding out for now.
Sorry to hear it, though misery loves company so I am sort of glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this kind of problem. Hope things continue to go OK for you in Bradford.

Gloucestrian

Devoted Cultist
Excellent news, Gloucestrian!
Celebrate!
I have done! The missus had a nice bottle of Merlot as a thank-you for doing some extra shifts over the Christmas period almost a year ago now, we'd not opened it yet so we had a glass each tonight. First time I've drunk any alcohol this year I think. For me, this is really pushing the boat out!

Swifty

Thanks for this Swifty, I read it shortly after you posted it but I was having a bit of a rough time at the time so didn't feel up to replying! Your post gave me a good laugh at a particularly dark moment though. I've definitely considered relocation and I probably will at some point, at present it's not really an option unfortunately. Family ties (what little family I have left) and also lack of funds restrict us somewhat. But perhaps at some point I'll make the move to the seaside! Cromer here I come! :) Well, more likely Wales actually.
FUCK WALES .. it's full of Welsh people .. move to Cromer .. even if we never get to hook up, you won't regret it.

INT21

Antediluvian
Every time I open the unemployed thread it is with the same feeling I have when I look out the window at my car.

'Is it still there '?

With this thread I keep expecting to find that Swifty is on the move again.

Deep seated trauma, I suppose.

;)

Swifty

Nay trust anybody laddie, is that one of the guys in the video you made?
No .. that's a couple of our waiters, they're both top lads and very hard workers .. when we're not having a laugh and pricking about instead. I'm currently teaching the lad holding the camera how to body pop because he's asked me to.

Last edited: