The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
For a change, it's my immediate boss who's having a volcano moment and throwing it down at our business owners, swearing at them on today's online group chat .. I love him like a brother, he's hard core when someone pushes him too far and fights too protect all of his staff including me .. when he's not out saving the general public's lives on our lifeboat at the same time .. or physically running at the front door and breaking it during the last work Christmas party. We're crossing our fingers he doesn't quit because he's threatening to.

Last edited:

Swifty

I reckon I'm going to get fired or bail on my current job soon .. the testosterone levels are ridiculous at work at the moment .. we've got our current head chef who's 'doing a Gordon Ramsey' most days (although he's never kicked off at me) .. he kicked off at my mate until she ended up crying in the bogs (the mistake wasn't hers as we later found out, it was his mistake .. apology to her? .. nope), second chef is aping first chef, brand new chef told me to make him a cup of tea: "No I won't be doing that .. you can make yourself a cup of tea through there." .. brand new chef is about to screw top female manager .. two waiters 'dissing' the Mrs ("She's got a smelly cunt") until I squeezed a wet sponge over his head ..

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Mentioned previously, that my daughter had successfully applied for a short term, Christmas vacancy.

She's still weighing up her options after graduating from University.

Meantime though, she was determined to find work, no matter what.

Obviously, it's still not easy, regardless of how determined you are.

That acknowledged, thought these couple of photos might be uplifting, especially the second one, where a young girl receives a surprise gift!

Screenshot_20191203_022217_compress72.jpg

Screenshot_20191203_022301_compress48.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Mentioned previously, that my daughter had successfully applied for a short term, Christmas vacancy.

She's still weighing up her options after graduating from University.
Meantime though, she was determined to find work, no matter what.
Obviously, it's still not easy, regardless of how determined you are.
Your daughter has it right. She will go far.

I have met recent graduates who won't take the lowly work because they believe their excuse is it will give prospective employers a bad impression. In the meantime they're sponging off their parents or whoever.

I say 'Get a job, any job, earn your keep. It's not forever. Volunteering is also good.
You will learn new skills and will have something to talk about at an interview. You can tell them how you get up early for long shifts and serve the public/get patients up/handle money/keep floors and toilets clean/stock shelves neatly. It shows you're responsible and reliable. It will also get you an actual work reference. Interviewers LOVE all that.'

Source: used to interview candidates for teaching posts. I always asked what jobs they'd done and anyone who had taken whatever was available after graduation was in with a shout. Travelling and seeing the world weren't as impressive as turning up every day for hard physical work.

Me: What did you do after graduation?
Candidate A: Travelled, saw the world
Me: What stands out in your mind?
Candidate A: The beautiful temples at sunrise. Took an overnight bus ride to get there, hard seats, ran out of water, had to get out and help push the bus out of the mud at one point but it was worth it for the gorgeous views. I took 70 photos! They're on my Instagram. Also Facebook and Twitter.

Candidate B: I did a Russian language correspondence course and trained for a Marathon.
Candidate B: Having to be really careful about nutrition and hydration, and being strict with myself about not running on recovery days, and using that time instead to practice my Russian. I learned a lot about myself.

Candidate C: Worked in a hospital laundry.
Candidate C: Having to stay on top of the job. Work came in all the time and we needed to be really organised to keep it moving.
Funny things happened too. Sometimes a nurse would ring to say a patient's dentures had been mixed up with the bedding and we'd have to rummage through the dirty bedsheets from a ward for them! We always found them and everyone was happy.

Guess who I recommended! 'We' not 'I', 'what I gave' not 'what I took'.

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I met a former colleague in town this morning and he was telling me he was the latest staff member to take early retirement - same reason as us others: a "restructuring" that left experienced technical staff finding they have to take orders from an overpromoted admin person with no technical knowledge but who knew better than everyone else.

He told me a couple of weeks after he left he got a phone call asking if he'd mind coming back for a few days a week as all the new experts were having "issues" with some of the jobs he did - he had offered training but was told "we don't need the likes of you telling us what to do."

His reply to the request - "If I want to work with annoying arseholes, I'll get a job in a haemorrhoid clinic."

The insolvency service has refused to pay my claim for my month of lost pay because the administrators have apparently denied all knowledge of me. I phoned them yesterday, the person assigned to the case was not available so I left a voicemail but I have yet to hear back. Bastards.

Swifty

The insolvency service has refused to pay my claim for my month of lost pay because the administrators have apparently denied all knowledge of me. I phoned them yesterday, the person assigned to the case was not available so I left a voicemail but I have yet to hear back. Bastards.
Wankers :mad:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Hope it can get sorted out for you. What a terrible way to treat someone.

Swifty

I have met recent graduates who won't take the lowly work because they believe their excuse is it will give prospective employers a bad impression. In the meantime they're sponging off their parents or whoever.

I say 'Get a job, any job, earn your keep. It's not forever. Volunteering is also good.
You will learn new skills and will have something to talk about at an interview. You can tell them how you get up early for long shifts and serve the public/get patients up/handle money/keep floors and toilets clean/stock shelves neatly. It shows you're responsible and reliable. It will also get you an actual work reference. Interviewers LOVE all that.'

Source: used to interview candidates for teaching posts. I always asked what jobs they'd done and anyone who had taken whatever was available after graduation was in with a shout. Travelling and seeing the world weren't as impressive as turning up every day for hard physical work.

Candidate A: Travelled, saw the world
Candidate A: The beautiful temples at sunrise. Took an overnight bus ride to get there, hard seats, ran out of water, had to get out and help push the bus out of the mud at one point but it was worth it for the gorgeous views. I took 70 photos! They're on my Instagram. Also Facebook and Twitter.

Candidate B: I did a Russian language correspondence course and trained for a Marathon.
Candidate B: Having to be really careful about nutrition and hydration, and being strict with myself about not running on recovery days, and using that time instead to practice my Russian. I learned a lot about myself.

Candidate C: Worked in a hospital laundry.
Candidate C: Having to stay on top of the job. Work came in all the time and we needed to be really organised to keep it moving.
Funny things happened too. Sometimes a nurse would ring to say a patient's dentures had been mixed up with the bedding and we'd have to rummage through the dirty bedsheets from a ward for them! We always found them and everyone was happy.

I'm almost tempted to print this and frame it on my wall ... if my Dad was reading this, he'd be giving you a high five.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I met a former colleague in town this morning and he was telling me he was the latest staff member to take early retirement - same reason as us others: a "restructuring" that left experienced technical staff finding they have to take orders from an overpromoted admin person with no technical knowledge but who knew better than everyone else.

He told me a couple of weeks after he left he got a phone call asking if he'd mind coming back for a few days a week as all the new experts were having "issues" with some of the jobs he did - he had offered training but was told "we don't need the likes of you telling us what to do."

His reply to the request - "If I want to work with annoying arseholes, I'll get a job in a haemorrhoid clinic."
He's well out of that fucking shite-hole.
er, I mean how nice for him to retire early.

Swifty

Wassup? Thought all was well in that job?
It was ... but from past experience, any independent business will always treat you well when they want to make more money. When that actually happens because we have all worked our arses off and they've made loads of money? .. they get greedy .. then it's "you haven't mopped this floor well enough" etc etc has been thrown at my staff ...

A young waiter was told off by a young fat as fuck lazy manager for the crime of making himself a slice of toast the other day .. A WHOLE SLICE OF BREAD! .. WITH BUTTER ON IT AS WELL! .. THE BASTARD! ... I always take my own food in and don't always get the time to eat it but .. a slice of bread .. seriously? ..

I instead haven't been looking after myself food wise recently due to work conditions but always achieve my workload early and also turn up early .. so I will continue to take cigarette breaks when I can .. end of .. I've told my boss the same thing: ".. well then good luck with the next then and thank you for the job opportunity" ..

I'm not a work rebel, I just hate sloppy management.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
There's already a possibility that my little Christmas Elf has impressed so much, with her efficiency and pleasant manner, that the company don't want to lose her.

Rumours of a full time position being offered in Customer Services.

The rest of your thought provoking post is, in my opinion, absolutely spot on!

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Had an IT related business some years back.

Advertised a vacancy and one of the applicants sent a one page letter, outlining his credentials.

He had started printing said letter, only to encounter a printing problem when it was half finished.

His solution was to turn the paper around and print on the other side.

Guess who wasn't invited for an interview!

Threaten them with legal action, point out that it is a criminal offence for an administrator to lie to the insolvency service.even if they do it in error they may be fined. Put it your complaint in writing (email) to the Insolvency service and cc it to the person assigned to the case in the administrators and to a senior member of the firm also mention a possible case for defamation. That will get action.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There's already a possibility that my little Christmas Elf has impressed so much, with her efficiency and pleasant manner, that the company don't want to lose her.

see told you see told you see see see told you

Well done to her! They will be watching closely. She's on her way to the top!

It was ... but from past experience, any independent business will always treat you well when they want to make more money. When that actually happens because we have all worked our arses off and they've made loads of money? .. they get greedy .. then it's "you haven't mopped this floor well enough" etc etc has been thrown at my staff ...

A young waiter was told off by a young fat as fuck lazy manager for the crime of making himself a slice of toast the other day .. A WHOLE SLICE OF BREAD! .. WITH BUTTER ON IT AS WELL! .. THE BASTARD! ... I always take my own food in and don't always get the time to eat it but .. a slice of bread .. seriously? ..

I instead haven't been looking after myself food wise recently due to work conditions but always achieve my workload early and also turn up early .. so I will continue to take cigarette breaks when I can .. end of .. I've told my boss the same thing: ".. well then good luck with the next then and thank you for the job opportunity" ..

I'm not a work rebel, I just hate sloppy management.
You're a grafter who gets taken advantage of! You give too much without asking for proper recompense.

So long as it's not as a year round Elf post on the floor!

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Here I am... I got 6 months salary starting from Feb'20, so at least I will have few more months to think about things. At least we have some savings and wife has a steady job so we are secure throughout at least 2020...

That worked out as I hoped so thank you again all the kind people here - you supported me again :) cheers

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Here I am... I got 6 months salary starting from Feb'20, so at least I will have few more months to think about things. At least we have some savings and wife has a steady job so we are secure throughout at least 2020...

That worked out as I hoped so thank you again all the kind people here - you supported me again :) cheers
wonderful! :twothumbs::oldm: