The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Got the result today, it is cancer of the womb, but we are hoping once all my insides have been scooped out that it will go, the cyst, well they have no idea what the heck it is, until it is removed, i hope it is something very fortean :D

PS: worry that peeps might think i am doing this for sympathy, I asure you I wouldn't do that, it is that i consider peeps on here as near to family as possible without meeting you, and i didnt want to disappear without you knowing why, I will be in good hands of a damn good hospital, Nottingham City, when it is all over, not sure when the op is, i will hopefully be back to buy everyone a drink in the trolls head XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm awfully (fashionably?) late to this but... all my best wishes to you Shady my dear.... you are going to kick the heck out of this and your treatment.

:group::group::group::group::group::group::group::group::group::group:

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
LOL better late than never :p Thank you Zebs, it is good to see you back, and i hope you stay.

And a big thanks to all here who have been very supportive along with family and friends, free drinks for all in the Trolls Head XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This is an interesting one .. I've been fired today for working too hard .. I'm not making this up

I was told they had no problems with any of my performance .. I haven't mentioned it on here on purpose because everyone's got there own bullshit to worry about at the moment but I had a confirmed stroke on the 20th .. I couldn't speak properly, numb right arm, paramedics assessed me and took me to accident and emergency .. no pain experienced ..

So I had to take 5 days offwork, the Mrs asked the woman in charge of the stroke ward to write a letter for my employers .. it's on official NHS paper .. my employers have fired me because I'm down as having 33.333 recurring percent absence ..

I stuck up for myself to the point where a manager asked me a question which I answered honestly twice .. when he asked me the same question a third time?.. I told him "You've already asked that twice? .. why are you asking me again? .. I'm starting to get angry with you Graham" .. no bluff .. I don't like bullies ..

So our Personnel manager called a 15 minute time out, I was sent to have a smoke and to calm myself down, Debbs a co worker gave me a hug against social distancing rules, a junior manager tried to tell her off for it, I said "Tell social distancing I said fuck off" ..

I went back in to the office for the third time, got to read the written statement and was provided with a statement and a letter explaining why my contract was being terminated .. "Unacceptable amount of absences" .. cowards ..

I haven't even considered surrendering to this corporate bullshit ..

"..and do you have any questions?"

"Yes .. can I go back to work now please?"

... so my writing and spelling has been altered due to a "brain injury" I've been told .. but the rest of me is KBO ..

.. wankers even thanked me for my hard work.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
This is an interesting one .. I've been fired today for working too hard .. I'm not making this up

I was told they had no problems with any of my performance .. I haven't mentioned it on here on purpose because everyone's got there own bullshit to worry about at the moment but I had a confirmed stroke on the 20th .. I couldn't speak properly, numb right arm, paramedics assessed me and took me to accident and emergency .. no pain experienced ..

So I had to take 5 days offwork, the Mrs asked the woman in charge of the stroke ward to write a letter for my employers .. it's on official NHS paper .. my employers have fired me because I'm down as having 33.333 recurring percent absence ..

I stuck up for myself to the point where a manager asked me a question which I answered honestly twice .. when he asked me the same question a third time?.. I told him "You've already asked that twice? .. why are you asking me again? .. I'm starting to get angry with you Graham" .. no bluff .. I don't like bullies ..

So our Personnel manager called a 15 minute time out, I was sent to have a smoke and to calm myself down, Debbs a co worker gave me a hug against social distancing rules, a junior manager tried to tell her off for it, I said "Tell social distancing I said fuck off" ..

I went back in to the office for the third time, got to read the written statement and was provided with a statement and a letter explaining why my contract was being terminated .. "Unacceptable amount of absences" .. cowards ..

... so my writing and spelling has been altered due to a "brain injury" I've been told .. but the rest of me is KBO ..

In Russia, instead of saying you're lost for words, you say "I have no words, only expressions," meaning sweary ones. I have only expressions, right now. Swifty, mate, that's an almost comically rubbish way to treat you, except it's not funny at all. I'm upset and angry for you, and all I can do is send you all my good wishes from many miles away. Wish I could do more.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Wow.

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles, both health and employment-related.

l would strongly advise making an appointment with your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau, as the government’s own web site says:

Illness

You can be dismissed if you have a persistent or long-term illness that makes it impossible for you to do your job.

Before taking any action, your employer should:

• look for ways to support you - for example, considering whether the job itself is making you sick and needs changing
  • give you reasonable time to recover from your illness
If you have a disability (which may include long-term illness), your employer has a legal duty to support disability in the workplace.

Dismissal because of a disability may be unlawful discrimination.

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed

Whatever your decision, the best of luck to you.

(Also, buy a lottery ticket: You must have some good fortune due to you...)

maximus otter

Swifty

Reaction score
Wow.

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles, both health and employment-related.

l would strongly advise making an appointment with your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau, as the government’s own web site says:

Illness

You can be dismissed if you have a persistent or long-term illness that makes it impossible for you to do your job.

Before taking any action, your employer should:

• look for ways to support you - for example, considering whether the job itself is making you sick and needs changing
  • give you reasonable time to recover from your illness
If you have a disability (which may include long-term illness), your employer has a legal duty to support disability in the workplace.

Dismissal because of a disability may be unlawful discrimination.

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed

Whatever your decision, the best of luck to you.

(Also, buy a lottery ticket: You must have some good fortune due to you...)

maximus otter
Thanks Max.

Swifty

Reaction score
@Swifty I am so sorry! so very sorry!

I know you know, but this isn't you, it's them

Huge hugs mate, also to the Missus.

Are you unionised?
I don't trust union reps so no .. in my own experience, most of them are only about extra cash in their pay check each month and a secured parking spot for their car ..

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wow. Swifty. I'm sorry to hear that. Both health and job.
I know it won't help you at all but you could take this to the Court of Social Media.

Even if they are legally in the 'right' (eg you're on a temporary contract) if not a good look for them. You, like so many others, stepped up in a time of crisis, exposing yourself to serious illness and they treat you like this?
Bastsrds.

But more importantly get well and stay safe.

*social distanced hug to you*

Swifty

Reaction score
Wow. Swifty. I'm sorry to hear that. Both health and job.
I know it won't help you at all but you could take this to the Court of Social Media.

Even if they are legally in the 'right' (eg you're on a temporary contract) if not a good look for them. You, like so many others, stepped up in a time of crisis, exposing yourself to serious illness and they treat you like this?
Bastsrds.

But more importantly get well and stay safe.

*social distanced hug to you*
Thanks Ladyloafer X .. our crew's had a surreal 10 weeks but who hasn't .. I'm proud of them (apart from one wanker but there's always one) ... after they sacked me? .. I've asked Donna to strongly consider Judith for promotion/further training to management level .. another 'grunt' but she's developed a lot of ideas to make us faster and our jobs easier and she's shared that knowledge with all of us so we could go from 3300 'picks' a day to 7500 on our busiest days .. and she's a nice person as well. I've warned the woman who sacked me that Judith's modest but she needs to be promoted so she's one to watch .. :badge:

Social distance hug back at you X

Last edited:

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

Really sorry to hear your news Swifty.
It's really shit especially at a time like this.The main thing is though, is your health.It's got to be your priority.I think we are roughly the same age, so we need to heed the warnings at our age!.Take care of yourself first and the rest will sort out.The last thing you need is too much stress.
All the best Pal

Swifty

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear your news Swifty.
It's really shit especially at a time like this.The main thing is though, is your health.It's got to be your priority.I think we are roughly the same age, so we need to heed the warnings at our age!.Take care of yourself first and the rest will sort out.The last thing you need is too much stress.
All the best Pal
Thanks man .. I told Graham I didn't agree with his decision but I did agree with his assessment of my current health condition .. the door hasn't been closed on me 100%, just at the moment for my own good .. I'm going to miss my crew, we're beyond co workers now, we're firm friends .. that's the bit I'm going to miss the most but I can still go into the supermarket .. it's not like I've been barred so I can still visit .. I'll probably end up helping them anyway :badge: .. don't ever fuck with the rollers .. I started the dodgy trend of stealing the plastic bags from checkouts because they're easier to work with than the paper ones ... I told one girl "Don't ask, just take the fuckers and walk away" .. so I had a couple of days off then she said "I've keen changeling my inner Swifty" .. "?" .. "I robbed a load of plastics from the checkouts this morning" .. because when you absolutely can't win? .. cheat .. then win anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNH57uvOcU8

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I don't trust union reps so no .. in my own experience, most of them are only about extra cash in their pay check each month and a secured parking spot for their car ..
They're not all like that. In 25 yrs as a union rep I got nothing extra monthly and never had a car space. Check out some advice from a local union activist or at least contact Norfolk Citizens Advice Bureau Adviceline - 03 444 111 444 https://www.ncab.org.uk/?p=email.advice
They should be able to help.

Btw when I googled "trade union office cromer" results included:

Law, Christianity, and Modernism in Islamic Society ...

Sexual Politics and the European Union: The New Feminist ...

Cairo University and the Making of Modern Egypt

The Bank of England: 1950s to 1979 - Page 270 - Google Books Result

Swifty

Reaction score
They're not all like that. In 25 yrs as a union rep I got nothing extra monthly and never had a car space. Check out some advice from a local union activist or at least contact Norfolk Citizens Advice Bureau Adviceline - 03 444 111 444 https://www.ncab.org.uk/?p=email.advice
They should be able to help.

Btw when I googled "trade union office cromer" results included:

Law, Christianity, and Modernism in Islamic Society ...

Sexual Politics and the European Union: The New Feminist ...

Cairo University and the Making of Modern Egypt

The Bank of England: 1950s to 1979 - Page 270 - Google Books Result
Thanks mate .. and this isn't the end of anything, it's the start of the next chapter .. roads? .. where we're going? .. we don't need 'roads' .. (the phone number's not working at the moment)

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score

So tell us about the stroke and then we can put it all together. I'm guessing they reckon you've had a TIA, not a full-on stroke but still pretty scary and life-changing.

What happened, when, and what medical treatment, have you received? So whats going on for you apart from memory loss? What did they put you on medication-wise?

20th of last month is pretty recent I'm guessing they'd sign you off just to look at wtf happened to a fairly unhealthy, (aren't we all?) but still young guy that had a stroke. DON'T BE FUCKING SMOKING MAN! No beer or anything, - just cut way back and stop.

edit: you are close to Kings Lynn? - they have a good stroke set up from memory. Funny what sticks in your mind when you have conversations.

You should just be able to get a sicknote - Just go to your GP.

Fill in the gaps and at least we can present an article in the Cromer Gazette, (whatever it is), to get you your job back - I'm serious this day and age often the press is the only place to go. Everything else has been eroded.

I'm not being funny here.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
So tell us about the stroke and then we can put it all together. I'm guessing they reckon you've had a TIA, not a full-on stroke but still pretty scary and life-changing.

What happened, when, and what medical treatment, have you received? So whats going on for you apart from memory loss? What did they put you on medication-wise?

20th of last month is pretty recent I'm guessing they'd sign you off just to look at wtf happened to a fairly unhealthy, (aren't we all?) but still young guy that had a stroke. DON'T BE FUCKING SMOKING MAN! No beer or anything, - just cut way back and stop.

edit: you are close to Kings Lynn? - they have a good stroke set up from memory. Funny what sticks in your mind when you have conversations.

You should just be able to get a sicknote - Just go to your GP.

Fill in the gaps and at least we can present an article in the Cromer Gazette, (whatever it is), to get you your job back - I'm serious this day and age often the press is the only place to go. Everything else has been eroded.

I'm not being funny here.
Sick note and more sorted .. although it's a printed letter from the head of the N&N stroke unit .. 3 copies in case the one I took to work got lost .. I've retained the original and a spare scanned copy ..

Good luck trying to get me to stop smoking but your advice is cannon, yes ..

Alcohol isn't even in the picture anymore mate ..

Cat scan -fine, some sort of scan that involved my throat-fine (to see if clots were messing with my brain), bloods- fine as far as I know so fine, MRI scan- 'shadow' on the left side of my brain, so a possible dense left hemi but I don't know yet .. I'm waiting for instructions to pick up a heart monitor as well from 'The Spires' in Norwich which has been given to the NHS for now, an answerphone message will tell me when to do that .. I'd been told I've had a brain injury .. two other side effects have been that my anger levels have risen so I'm constantly policing myself over that and have warned people in authority over me about that and .... awkward to talk about but the truth so please don't crack any jokes about it but my sex drive as well .. under different circumstances I'd welcome a few laughs over that side effect, it's not an unpleasant side effect or a problem as I'm sure you'll understand but it's something different that I have to report to medical professionals if and when .. I'm not exactly 14 years old .. and spelling has become a problem ... this situation has also made me a bit random at the moment so you could ask me to try to write "He walked over to sit underneath his favourite tree" and I might write "He walked over to orange the tree underneath she" instead for an example ..

I'm still a dickhead though .. so don't worry too much.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Swifty:

The portable heart monitor (probably a Holter monitor) is a standard exploratory routine if TIAs are suspected. (They were suspected with me, and I've been through it more than once.)

Wearing it for (e.g.) 24 hours isn't anything more than a minor inconvenience. The hardest part is placing it aside so you can get some sleep without popping the wires loose. It also provides you with an interesting conversation starter for the period during which you're wearing it.

Good luck with the situation, and please find ways to dial down your stress levels ...

Swifty

Reaction score
Swifty:

The portable heart monitor (probably a Holter monitor) is a standard exploratory routine if TIAs are suspected. (They were suspected with me, and I've been through it more than once.)

Wearing it for (e.g.) 24 hours isn't anything more than a minor inconvenience. The hardest part is placing it aside so you can get some sleep without popping the wires loose. It also provides you with an interesting conversation starter for the period during which you're wearing it.

Good luck with the situation, and please find ways to dial down your stress levels ...
Thanks Enola .. I've been asked to wear if for 3 days if I remember correctly (which I possibly haven't) .. and my stress level should plummet because I'm not working now .. thanks X

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Thanks man .. I told Graham I didn't agree with his decision but I did agree with his assessment of my current health condition .. the door hasn't been closed on me 100%, just at the moment for my own good .. I'm going to miss my crew, we're beyond co workers now, we're firm friends .. that's the bit I'm going to miss the most but I can still go into the supermarket .. it's not like I've been barred so I can still visit .. I'll probably end up helping them anyway :badge: .. don't ever fuck with the rollers .. I started the dodgy trend of stealing the plastic bags from checkouts because they're easier to work with than the paper ones ... I told one girl "Don't ask, just take the fuckers and walk away" .. so I had a couple of days off then she said "I've keen changeling my inner Swifty" .. "?" .. "I robbed a load of plastics from the checkouts this morning" .. because when you absolutely can't win? .. cheat .. then win anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNH57uvOcU8
KBO :salute:

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
It is time for a new chapter! I hope you can get some rest and take your mind off of worry for a period of time and then hope you are blessed with something that makes you happier and is better for work. You know how I feel about all of this! It makes me angry. anguish probably better describes it. All blessings and good thoughts on you and your family, Swifty! :bpals:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A three-day / 72-hour Holter hookup isn't unusual. IIRC it's the longest time a basic recording session is usually expected to last.

If you can sleep reasonably and better avoid tossing / turning by using a sofa or recliner (rather than your bed) a couple of nights using alternative furniture may be in your immediate future.

One other thing ... On the occasions when I was fitted with a Holter monitor I was asked to keep a basic running diary of what I was doing throughout the recording period (e.g., 0000 - 0600: Sleeping; 0630 - 0730: Went for a walk). It doesn't have to be minute-by-minute. It helps the analysis to be able to correlate changes in the data with changes in activity level.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Got to join the others in saying that it makes me sad to hear of your stroke.

I had one years ago (2007) but fortunately it was classed as a TIA (mini-stroke) and I more or less recovered half an hour later.
The only effect seems to be some loss of memory, and the tinnitus I am left with; but I can live with that.

One thing, is they put you on statins to reduce your blood cholesterol (often the base cause of TIA or stroke) and you start with bad muscle ache, go see you GP asap. I was given bad information in this respect and suffered a kind of heart attack.

Hope you lose any after effects soon.

INT21.