The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Our company is absolutely ruthless .. they don't give a fuck if they like you or not, it's only ever about moment money and rules .. a woman ten years ago in our Norwich store took 2 tiny sachets of tomato ketchup, she was only allowed one for free .. the rules said she was supposed to pay 5p if she took a second one but she didn't pay 5p .. she was fired because of it .. theft of company product .. for 5p ffs .. I mean, imagine the wages for managers needed, cost of paper and printer ink and costs across the board stuff to do that to her. Sauce sachets are now free for staff.
I'm glad I'm retired, coming up to three years now and never once regretted it for a second. No more petty departmental politics or being told how to my job by some underqualified overpromoted insecure idiot, no more back-stabbing and interference from people who can't keep their noses out of matters that don't concern them. I'm now in an arsehole-free zone and loving it :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm retired, coming up to three years now and never once regretted it for a second. No more petty departmental politics or being told how to my job by some underqualified overpromoted insecure idiot, no more back-stabbing and interference from people who can't keep their noses out of matters that don't concern them. I'm now in an arsehole-free zone and loving it :)
I cant wait to find out who's going to fire me in the future!. :)

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Still have a few years to go and, looking at the wretched effect lockdown has had on my pension fund, there is no way I can contemplate early retirement.

Have taken voluntary redundancy twice in my career. Worked out OK both times, as I managed to find a comparable position whilst I still had some redundancy money left.

Also left a well-paid job in the city for a lower salary nearer home, simply because the stress of the city job and the commute was having a very bad effect on my health.

So, to Swifty, I would say that it sounds like you are well shot of that miserable job and, for your physical and mental health, I sincerely hope you find something you can feel more at ease with very soon.

Swifty

Reaction score
Still have a few years to go and, looking at the wretched effect lockdown has had on my pension fund, there is no way I can contemplate early retirement.

Have taken voluntary redundancy twice in my career. Worked out OK both times, as I managed to find a comparable position whilst I still had some redundancy money left.

Also left a well-paid job in the city for a lower salary nearer home, simply because the stress of the city job and the commute was having a very bad effect on my health.

So, to Swifty, I would say that it sounds like you are well shot of that miserable job and, for your physical and mental health, I sincerely hope you find something you can feel more at ease with very soon.
I enjoyed it to be honest .. huge challenge for all of us wave 1 crew, we were asked by one of the few managers brave enough to turn up and stand with us to report back to her on things that worked because we had to train each other .. and we won. And two new rrrollers have been hired today .. we've delivered to over 100,000 households so far .. with support from junior temp managers who've looked like they live on coffee. We've had meetings in the warehouse where we all stand 2 meters apart for updates .. I'm a bit gutted to be out of the punch up to be honest.

Last edited:

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I stopped using patches{sorry to harp on}One technique I did employ was, to not tell myself I wouldn't have another cigarette.That sounds odd but I would jut say to myself"I won't have one today but maybe tomorrow"etc etc.I did have 2 in the first week but didnt beat myself up.I told myself it was a blip not a relapse.They then fell by the wayside.I remember as a student nurse I was in a rehab type facility for alcohol and drug use.A girl of 25 with alcohol problems said to me"imagine someone told you that you could never drink again"I've thought a lot about that.The psychological effect of that is too great to get your head around.Much easier to break it down and say I'm not doing that today or that week etc.I use this approach with different things and find it to be effective.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
I left Further Ed in different circumstances, but agree entirely. I miss some of the people but the bullshit? Absolutely not. I get to train people now and am left to get on with it. It's a different world.

Swifty

Reaction score
I left MI6 because M and Q were starting to get on my nerves.

Joking aside, when the office bloke asked me the same question I'd already answered honestly and with evidence for a third time? .. he was clearly trying to corner me, my Dad always told me to put up with it once, put up with it twice but not the third time .. so the meeting was adjourned after I told 'bloke' he'd already asked me the question twice, I'd already answered it honestly twice and that I was now starting to get angry.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Self-employment: best work-related decision I ever made.

Success/failure and reward correlate more or less exactly with how hard I work and how much I commit to the job.

And you can't really complain about that.
Yeah, wish I could go back to being self employed. I'm working on it.

Swifty

Reaction score
I've just done a bike ride to West Runton beach to look for fossils and periwinkles and ended up coming back with a new job (probably) .. I only stuck my head in to say hello at a hotel I used to work in and discovered an old friend is now the head chef there .. he's just asked me to work for him, he's a top bloke and a brilliant laugh, me and the Mrs make a fuss of his kids every Halloween for trick or treat. I only went on the bike ride on a whim as well!.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I've just done a bike ride to West Runton beach to look for fossils and periwinkles and ended up coming back with a new job (probably) .. I only stuck my head in to say hello at a hotel I used to work in and discovered an old friend is now the head chef there .. he's just asked me to work for him, he's a top bloke and a brilliant laugh, me and the Mrs make a fuss of his kids every Halloween for trick or treat. I only went on the bike ride on a whim as well!.
Fantastic news!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Obviously inspired by Norman Tebbit! (Younger forumites, Google is your friend!)

Swifty

Reaction score
Fantastic news!
Thanks mate but I don't count my chickens etc …. one big perk is that I used to get so much carvery food to bring home, I had to bring a rucksack .. huge chunks of roast beef, turkey, lamb, pork and all the trimmings, I ended up giving half of it away because I didn't have time to eat it all.. The bike ride there is a bastard in the winter though, one of the local RNLI came out in his 4X4 to rescue me one year because the Mrs was worried. He found me sat behind someone's garden wall (street side) eating chocolate biscuits and singing to keep warm because there was a blizzard. I ended up working for him for a bit as well. Funnily enough, we were trying to poach my mate but now I'll be working for him instead.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Great news! Take the job! Take a rucksack!

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Good on yer. I've lost track of the number of jobs you've had since I've been here. Must be close to the total for everyone else.

Food thrown in as well - too good to resist! Good luck with it.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
That's great news Swifty.I havn't really been on here for a while,except for a quick glance.I was thinking about you the other day{random I know since we have never met}I came on today to see how you are doing.Glad to hear things are looking up.

Swifty

Reaction score
That's great news Swifty.I havn't really been on here for a while,except for a quick glance.I was thinking about you the other day{random I know since we have never met}I came on today to see how you are doing.Glad to hear things are looking up.
Thanks for caring mate .. I always land on my feet.

Swifty

Reaction score
Fortune favours the Bold
I'm not clever so I have to be fast. I'm more comfortable doing that anyway. I'd hate to be 'stuck' in the same job for years .. how to you develop other than being expected to dominate? .. and then you still don't develop but you've now been a prick .. for no extra money either ..

I got a bit exited about the possibility of being paid and trained to dress crabs last week ... as long as it's something I've never done before, in any type of industry, I'm up for it .. I might be steel welding fabricated buildings or something next year, I've no idea. I'm like Louis Theroux.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I'm not clever so I have to be fast. I'm more comfortable doing that anyway. I'd hate to be 'stuck' in the same job for years .. how to you develop other than being expected to dominate? .. and then you still don't develop but you've now been a prick .. for no extra money either ..

I got a bit exited about the possibility of being paid and trained to dress crabs last week ... as long as it's something I've never done before, in any type of industry, I'm up for it .. I might be steel welding fabricated buildings or something next year, I've no idea. I'm like Louis Theroux.
That certainly keeps things interesting.