The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
aaaaaaaand.. I might be unemployed again. I haven't pissed anyone off, I'm always early, I get along with my co workers, I've just scored a 98% on an internal 'Is this company being run properly?' ... but I've phoned my manager to see what time I'm supposed to be in tomorrow and he said "Ermmm .. you'd better phone ****" (our regional manager which isn't a good sign) ... shit.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Reaction score
aaaaaaaand.. I might be unemployed again. I haven't pissed anyone off, I'm always early, I get along with my co workers, I've just scored a 98% on an internal 'Is this company being run properly?' ... but I've phoned my manager to see what time I'm supposed to be in tomorrow and he said "Ermmm .. you'd better phone ****" (our regional manager which isn't a good sign) ... shit.
Here's hoping you're wrong but doesn't sound good:(

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Aww, good luck with that, Swifty!

I always worry when I see a new posting on this thread that it's 'man of a thousand jobs' Swifty again, and this time it is.

All the best for whatever comes next, if your thinking is correct - maybe they just want to promote you to universe king?!

(Years ago I was called into a meeting with HR and my line manager first thing on a Monday morning, and it was pretty clear from the off where that was going to go! That was the third of my four - so far - redundancies...)

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Maybe it's the manager that is going, hence the instruction to call ****.
As in "I won't be here...."

Swifty

Reaction score
Thanks you two ... and I'm half hoping I am out there because the owner (who I've still never met after almost a year) has been taking the piss IMO ... saving on wages my getting me to work on my own in a booming seaside town? .. with everyone rolling in as covid restrictions are being lifted? .. the current heatwave and having to wear a face mask aren't his fault but those factors don't help at the same time. I've been dreading next month there so maybe it's all for the best. I'll find something else because I always do.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Thanks you two ... and I'm half hoping I am out there because the owner (who I've still never met after almost a year) has been taking the piss IMO ... saving on wages my getting me to work on my own in a booming seaside town? .. with everyone rolling in as covid restrictions are being lifted? .. the current heatwave and having to wear a face mask aren't his fault but those factors don't help at the same time. I've been dreading next month there so maybe it's all for the best. I'll find something else because I always do.
You are a very resourceful fellow. Good luck!
But I hope it's nothing bad.

Swifty

Reaction score
He's pissed me off a bit to be honest Trev ... whenever I arrive at work and he's there, he always has at least one trainee with him and sometimes two .. then they all **** off home (usually he's the first one to bail) ... 'new boy' stuck around for an extra 15 minutes without me asking because we had a rush on .. he's only allowed to work 20 hours a week for private reasons so he was a legend for doing that to help me out .. I made sure he computer clocked out but hand altered and signed his rota. Hopefully he'll get paid for doing that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I made sure he computer clocked out but hand altered and signed his rota. Hopefully he'll get paid for doing that.
Could be trub if you get found out.
Don't do stuff you don't need to do...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You certainly always seem to find something.

I've been on this forum since forever (well, 2005) and you must have had more jobs than I've had... wives... mortgages... broken fingers... broken toes... falls down manholes... fines for on-street drinking in Poland... holidays in Cambodia (one each of those...)... and loads of other things (broken collar bones... er... three)...

Good luck and say hello to Cromer for me. The first time I was there was after I finished my finals at UEA back in the 1980s; the last time I was there was about a decade ago. It had a good second-hand bookshop (possibly a charity shop with a good books section), now probably gone.

But it always has Swifty!

Swifty

Reaction score
You certainly always seem to find something.

I've been on this forum since forever (well, 2005) and you must have had more jobs than I've had... wives... mortgages... broken fingers... broken toes... falls down manholes... fines for on-street drinking in Poland... holidays in Cambodia (one each of those...)... and loads of other things (broken collar bones... er... three)...

Good luck and say hello to Cromer for me. The first time I was there was after I finished my finals at UEA back in the 1980s; the last time I was there was about a decade ago. It had a good second-hand bookshop (possibly a charity shop with a good books section), now probably gone.

But it always has Swifty!
Thanks man.

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Aw no swifty fingers crossed for you mate hope you’re going to be okay

Swifty

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. One of our new staff told me she didn't think he was going to be there much longer. An ex manager who's still friends with our current manager has been doing a few early shifts for some reason. Our current manager is crap at paper work and only does it when he feels like it. I had to invent a new style of paper work because he forgot to order a new folder that's essential to our job so it was three weeks of hand written paper work that I had the other staff doing. The regional manager was pissed off that my manager hadn't told her, brought in a new folder, I handed over our hand written, dated and signed off stuff (stock control and cash flow) so she could blag it and copy into the new folder ...

He's great with his staff, not afraid to work hard .. he just needs to toughen up on his paper work. I on the other hand run out of steam at the end of the night. I phoned work last night and 'Steve', a noob was doing a late on his own. We close at 8pm and he was serving a customer at 5 minutes to 8. That's not on and it's what's been pissing me off. And I got told off for closing ten minutes early one night .. I did that deliberately .. I just got pissed off with all the twats strolling in 5 minutes before I closed making me go home almost an hour late without being paid for it ... "Oh .. I'm sorry but we've just had a large internet order and we close in 5 minutes time" or "I'm very sorry but my oven's playing up but thanks for visiting us and sorry for the inconvenience." ............ both bullshit of course.

There's a new McDonalds that's opened not far from my place .. they had a systems crash the last night I was at work ... not the first time they've fucked up so I have to pick up their trade working on my own when there's about 30 staff there .. and now in a heatwave as well? .. screw that.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Funny you should say that. One of our new staff told me she didn't think he was going to be there much longer. An ex manager who's still friends with our current manager has been doing a few early shifts for some reason. Our current manager is crap at paper work and only does it when he feels like it. I had to invent a new style of paper work because he forgot to order a new folder that's essential to our job so it was three weeks of hand written paper work that I had the other staff doing. The regional manager was pissed off that my manager hadn't told her, brought in a new folder, I handed over our hand written, dated and signed off stuff (stock control and cash flow) so she could blag it and copy into the new folder ...

He's great with his staff, not afraid to work hard .. he just needs to toughen up on his paper work. I on the other hand run out of steam at the end of the night. I phoned work last night and 'Steve', a noob was doing a late on his own. We close at 8pm and he was serving a customer at 5 minutes to 8. That's not on and it's what's been pissing me off. And I got told off for closing ten minutes early one night .. I did that deliberately .. I just got pissed off with all the twats strolling in 5 minutes before I closed making me go home almost an hour late without being paid for it ... "Oh .. I'm sorry but we've just had a large internet order and we close in 5 minutes time" or "I'm very sorry but my oven's playing up but thanks for visiting us and sorry for the inconvenience." ............ both bullshit of course.

There's a new McDonalds that's opened not far from my place .. they had a systems crash the last night I was at work ... not the first time they've fucked up so I have to pick up their trade working on my own when there's about 30 staff there .. and now in a heatwave as well? .. screw that.

So would there be an agreement with you and management that says " No more food orders after 1950hrs?" or if so you get paid the extra hour?

Seems reasonable to me. Of course, you'd have to prove it takes you an extra hour to deal with food orders after a certain time.

Swifty

Reaction score
Any update, Swifty?
Nope. I got to speak to a co worker on the phone last night. She lasted 4 days doing my lates on her own before refusing to do them anymore unless she had a second member of staff with her so she's now got a second member of staff with her. Good for her although I've been asking for the same thing since lockdown restrictions were lifted.

Swifty

Reaction score
So would there be an agreement with you and management that says " No more food orders after 1950hrs?" or if so you get paid the extra hour?

Seems reasonable to me. Of course, you'd have to prove it takes you an extra hour to deal with food orders after a certain time.
I've already made a similar suggestion to our regional manager but that's been rejected. Realistically, it should be no more food orders after 17:30 because it takes an hour to close everything down correctly and I lock up and leave at 18:30. My co worker told me that another new co worker doing my shift had someone walk in 2 minutes before we stop serving the public to order six baked baguette sandwiches which is frankly taking the piss. I think I can guess which customer that was as well, he's a 'repeat offender'. We've told that member of staff to refuse people who do that at that time of night in the future. I just say "Sorry, I'm afraid I can't serve you at this time of night .... we close in 120 seconds time." which is rude I know but **** 'em.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Or put up a sign that says 'Food orders after 17.50 reserved for essential workers only' so that when the repeat offender arrives you can claim that they are not essential.

Swifty

Reaction score
Or put up a sign that says 'Food orders after 17.50 reserved for essential workers only' so that when the repeat offender arrives you can claim that they are not essential.
Good idea put we're not allowed to do anything unofficial/not head office approved.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Swifty, what do the labor laws - sorry, that would be labour laws to you - say about working hours that you're not paid for? I'm pretty sure that here in New York an hourly employee can't be made to do a reasonable hour's work after closing if his shift ends a half hour after closing. Similarly, if you're expected to take orders up to a specific time, then you need to be able to fill those orders and clean up before the shift ends. Of course there are abuses galore stateside as well, and a good worker won't sweat the odd five or ten minutes, but if you and your fellow staff put up a united front and went public if you got no sympathy, it might make things better.

In any case, wishing you the best there or wherever life takes you.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Swifty, what do the labor laws - sorry, that would be labour laws to you - say about working hours that you're not paid for? I'm pretty sure that here in New York an hourly employee can't be made to do a reasonable hour's work after closing if his shift ends a half hour after closing. Similarly, if you're expected to take orders up to a specific time, then you need to be able to fill those orders and clean up before the shift ends. Of course there are abuses galore stateside as well, and a good worker won't sweat the odd five or ten minutes, but if you and your fellow staff put up a united front and went public if you got no sympathy, it might make things better.

In any case, wishing you the best there or wherever life takes you.
It depends if you are salaried or hourly paid, if you are salaried you are over a barrel, I was a warehouse manager at the pet superstore I worked in many years ago, and on a salary, my assistant was hourly paid and because my overtime was unpaid and his was paid, he often took home more pay than I did :(

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It depends if you are salaried or hourly paid, if you are salaried you are over a barrel, I was a warehouse manager at the pet superstore I worked in many years ago, and on a salary, my assistant was hourly paid and because my overtime was unpaid and his was paid, he often took home more pay than I did :(
In the US that's not the (legal) demarcation line. It's the nature of the work. If the work is primarily supervisory it's exempt (more detailed but that's the gist.) Primarily supervisory means you get tell the asst he can't work OT and you stop and clean up at 4:50. Many jobs calculate a salary based on a certain amount of OT and make sure you know about it so you can't complain that last week you had to close late four nights. And take-out places allow the extra 45 min to cash out and clean up. Many signs that say "last orders [closing-15 min]." Swifty I think locals know that your workplace is a softy. Put the sign up.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I would probably just find some way of spreading a rumour that anyone that arrives with only 10 minutes left before closing is likely to have their food .....er.....messed with....in some way.

As in "Oh, did you hear about Kentucky McBurger Way? If you go in there ten minutes before closing the bloke in there rubs his helmet on your sandwich....".

I mean, there would be no proof, but you know how these sorts of vicious rumours can take on a life of their own......

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I would probably just find some way of spreading a rumour that anyone that arrives with only 10 minutes left before closing is likely to have their food .....er.....messed with....in some way.

As in "Oh, did you hear about Kentucky McBurger Way? If you go in there ten minutes before closing the bloke in there rubs his helmet on your sandwich....".

I mean, there would be no proof, but you know how these sorts of vicious rumours can take on a life of their own......
Or start a rumour that the late guy beat someone half to death who came in ordering just before closing time :p

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

Just say to the late customer, "Sure you can have a sandwich but I'll have to go to the bathroom first, I've got a terrible dose of the shits."

Swifty

Reaction score
Just say to the late customer, "Sure you can have a sandwich but I'll have to go to the bathroom first, I've got a terrible dose of the shits."
You jest but my female co worker had to nip to the ladies (customers still aren't allowed to use it). I didn't have any customers but when she got back I told her "We've had one customer but don't worry, I told him you'd gone for a shit."

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Let's hope that nobody with the surname Kentucky-McBurger ever reads this post.