The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the US that's not the (legal) demarcation line. It's the nature of the work. If the work is primarily supervisory it's exempt (more detailed but that's the gist.) Primarily supervisory means you get tell the asst he can't work OT and you stop and clean up at 4:50. Many jobs calculate a salary based on a certain amount of OT and make sure you know about it so you can't complain that last week you had to close late four nights. And take-out places allow the extra 45 min to cash out and clean up. Many signs that say "last orders [closing-15 min]." Swifty I think locals know that your workplace is a softy. Put the sign up.
That sounds like really good advice. Mainly because you can just refer to an official sign then there's no arguments, or misunderstanding's about when customers can place an order.

chrissho

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Make your own sign then take it home with you, that way your innocence can be maintained. Sign should say "We close for orders in X minutes. A refusal may offend but a smack in the gob is worse!" I thought slavery was illegal anyway!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I applied for a 'Part Time Driver' position earlier this week, just speculatively sent in my application via 'Indeed'.
The description of the job said it would require working a couple of days each week, and to drive up to 200 miles to visit 3 or 4 collection points, returning the goods to the warehouse. Which seemed fine for me. I want to get back into work but nothing stressful, or taxing, and preferably something I can get on with at my own speed without anyone 'looking over my shoulder'.
So they contacted me within hours wanting to see me either yesterday or today, so I went down there this morning for an interview.
What a lovely chap, the feller that owns the business.
Had a nice little chat, he gave me some info the business, which is basically that they collect over-stocks, or unused stock, from doctor groups, hospital trust groups etc, which then get checked, repacked and sold on to medical wholesalers.
Well, after chatting for a while we went through my CV and he was so impressed my skills and experience that he considered a part-time driving job to be beneath me, and that he thought I would be a good fit for a senior position within his little company.
Now, I'm not agin it, but why can't I just be fine for the role I applied for, lol?

Anyways, one of the couple of people that work in his warehouse has hurt her arm and is off sick for a couple of weeks, so I have agreed to step in for that period at least, to help in the warehouse and learn about what they do, and then we'll see where it goes after that.

So actually not 'unemployed again', but I'm uncertain how the situation might pan out. There's a possibility something good might come of it, we'll see.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I applied for a 'Part Time Driver' position earlier this week, just speculatively sent in my application via 'Indeed'.
The description of the job said it would require working a couple of days each week, and to drive up to 200 miles to visit 3 or 4 collection points, returning the goods to the warehouse. Which seemed fine for me. I want to get back into work but nothing stressful, or taxing, and preferably something I can get on with at my own speed without anyone 'looking over my shoulder'.
So they contacted me within hours wanting to see me either yesterday or today, so I went down there this morning for an interview.
What a lovely chap, the feller that owns the business.
Had a nice little chat, he gave me some info the business, which is basically that they collect over-stocks, or unused stock, from doctor groups, hospital trust groups etc, which then get checked, repacked and sold on to medical wholesalers.
Well, after chatting for a while we went through my CV and he was so impressed my skills and experience that he considered a part-time driving job to be beneath me, and that he thought I would be a good fit for a senior position within his little company.
Now, I'm not agin it, but why can't I just be fine for the role I applied for, lol?

Anyways, one of the couple of people that work in his warehouse has hurt her arm and is off sick for a couple of weeks, so I have agreed to step in for that period at least, to help in the warehouse and learn about what they do, and then we'll see where it goes after that.

So actually not 'unemployed again', but I'm uncertain how the situation might pan out. There's a possibility something good might come of it, we'll see.
Congratulations, I hope the 'senior position' pays better than the driving job, best wishes :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I applied for a 'Part Time Driver' position earlier this week, just speculatively sent in my application via 'Indeed'. ...
Congratulations! The interim warehouse gig should give you time to acclimate yourself to the place and decide what level of commitment (part-time versus full-time) you'd want to invest in it for the long haul.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I nearly started this morning - I was on my way there when the guy phoned me to advise that, due to a staff issue, there would not be anybody in the branch to train me, and he won't be back until Wednesday, so will give me a call then to rearrange.

Trevp666

Reaction score
No call today though.
This 'not working' is a walk in the park!

Trevp666

Reaction score
Aaah so after a brief exchange of emails last week from 'the man' in which he apologised and explained that there had been some issues, I finally went in today to do a 'driving trial'.
I thought it would be just a once around the block to check that I wasn't some kind of maniac.
But no, I went with 'Steve', with me doing the driving, in a high-roof, long wheelbase VW van down to two villages near Southampton to do collections.
Left at 0900 and got back at 1430, and I was 'Hank Marvin' cos I hadn't bought a packed lunch along.
So I just need to wait to hear back from 'the man'.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Aaah so after a brief exchange of emails last week from 'the man' in which he apologised and explained that there had been some issues, I finally went in today to do a 'driving trial'.
I thought it would be just a once around the block to check that I wasn't some kind of maniac.
But no, I went with 'Steve', with me doing the driving, in a high-roof, long wheelbase VW van down to two villages near Southampton to do collections.
Left at 0900 and got back at 1430, and I was 'Hank Marvin' cos I hadn't bought a packed lunch along.
So I just need to wait to hear back from 'the man'.
Did they pay you?

Trevp666

Reaction score
Did they pay you?
Not yet but if I am not fully cashed up I will go and 'sort them out'.
TBH it seems like a given that 'the man' will be requiring my services and today was just done to make sure that I wasn't totally limp under the cap.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not yet but if I am not fully cashed up I will go and 'sort them out'.
TBH it seems like a given that 'the man' will be requiring my services and today was just done to make sure that I wasn't totally limp under the cap.
Sounds like a nice little number. Just remember to keep your eyes on the road and not be looking out for women in short skirts who overtake you. I would never do that. Ever. Not once.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Just remember to keep your eyes on the road and not be looking out for women in short skirts
Actually, whilst driving along somewhere on a main road we were behind a 7&1/2 tonner which suddenly swerved across the lane and back again a couple of times.
I said to 'Steve' something along the lines of "I dunno what this idiots doing?"
And 'Steve' replied "Probably distracted by looking at that birds arse".
That was when I noticed the scantily-clad dolly bird walking along the pavement.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Oh forgot to mention.
'The man' has been in touch this morning - I start work on Monday.
Congratulations

congratulations-yay.gif

Trevp666

Reaction score
So that went well.
Just a matter of ensuring that a temperature check gets done at each collection point really.
I will be starting this Friday and driving each Friday and Tuesday (initially) but the number of collection points is increasing so that will lead to more days being worked at some point.

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So that went well.
Just a matter of ensuring that a temperature check gets done at each collection point really.
Will that be a temperature check on what you're driving, or on yourself? :)

Trevp666

Reaction score
I did my first full day in the new job yesterday.
I thought that what they asked me to do was ambitious to start with, but decided to give it a go.
From WGC, to Kidderminster to do 2 collections a few miles apart.
From there Stratford-Upon-Avon.
Then down to Reading.
And back to WGC.
Probably achievable in 'driving time' alone, however, the day was beset with issues.
I was asked to phone the first collection point about an hour before arriving, so I did that, from Corley Services on the M6 where I had to stop for fuel as the van was running out (yeah, thanks for not filling up the van the previous day).
They then phoned me back to say they had nothing to collect.
So after spending 15 minutes making calls back to the office I was finally instructed to head straight to the 2nd collection point.
Had I not had that first collection to do in the first place I would have already reached the address of that 2nd collection point, but never mind eh.
So off to what is now my first call. Get there and it is down a little narrow one-way street, with no easy place to park, but I manage to get the van reasonably close, however, I 'buzz' their doorbell to get in and am left standing around outside for 10 minutes before finally getting in, and then the access for getting the 42 boxes out to the van is quite restricted, so that takes me a good half-hour to do.
Then it is off to Stratford-Upon-Avon.
I get there and the collection point is within the grounds of a hospital, so obviously.....no bleedin parking anywhere.
I do manage to find a space to park the big van just nextdoor, outside the adjacent pharmacy, who kindly let me leave the van there.
I go into the collection point and they faff around for ages.
Firstly they spend 10 minutes trying to find the person who I have to collect the boxes from, but they're on lunch and don't get back for another 10 minutes.
Then it transpires that the 'usual person' is off for a holiday period, and this woman covering can't find the keys for the storage room.
Eventually 3 different bunches of keys are found and she methodically goes through all of them but still can't find the right key.
(By this point I'm losing the will to live while this shit version of a 'crystal maze' game is playing out)
"Oh" she says "I think this is the room which they had to change the lock on".
So off she scuttles again to try to find the new key.
I helpfully suggest that she should maybe looking for a solitary, shiny key, probably left conspicuously on the 'usual person' desk.
She reappears brandishing a shiny key which indeed is the correct one to open the door.
By now I have been there nearly 3/4 of an hour.
There are 67 boxes inside to collect.
Where I have parked the van is a good couple of hundred yards away, through the corridors of the building, out through a fire exit and down a small step, along a narrow-ish path past some bee-filled flowering shrubs, up a 'ramp' next to some steps (which everyone seems to want to walk down instead of using the steps), out onto the one-way access road which seems to be the busiest road in the area, and finally reaching the van.
The sack-barrow will only hold 6 boxes at best, so that's 11 trips I have to make.
In all, loading the van takes until 3pm.
And I still have to go to Reading, and the satnav kindly informs me that it will take 2 hours 50 min to get there.
So I call the office and explain that I don't think i'll get there before 6pm (the van is subject to lower speed limits than cars), and after a couple of phone calls back and forward I am instructed not to go to Reading but instead just head back to WGC.
By now though it is getting on for 4pm, and I'm 106 miles away, the other side of Cheltenham.
The satnav helpfully informs me that 'due to congestion adding 20 minutes to my journey time I will not arrive at my destination until 6.30pm, but this is still the best, fastest route'.
Anyways....after sitting in heavy traffic around both Cheltenham and Oxford but managing to make up some time as the M25 is not too busy (unusual for a Friday afternoon/evening), I get back to WGC at 6.35pm.
The boss was not too happy and queried why I took so long, so I politely explained the initial cock-up, the various delays, the speed limits which apply to a van etc etc, and he replied that Steve (the other driver) usually leaves at 6am and gets back by 2pm.
To which I replied that I was told to start at 8.30, and that I didn't leave the office until about 9.30 after doing all the required paperwork etc, so 9.30 to 6.30 not including the total time lost (through no fault of mine) of about an hour and a half, is the same sort of time in total, if not actually quicker.

So in summary, I think that in future, if I get terrible route planning, and nit-picking about the time I take, then I will probably tell them to stick their job.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I did my first full day in the new job yesterday.
I thought that what they asked me to do was ambitious to start with, but decided to give it a go.
From WGC, to Kidderminster to do 2 collections a few miles apart.
From there Stratford-Upon-Avon.
Then down to Reading.
And back to WGC.
Probably achievable in 'driving time' alone, however, the day was beset with issues.
I was asked to phone the first collection point about an hour before arriving, so I did that, from Corley Services on the M6 where I had to stop for fuel as the van was running out (yeah, thanks for not filling up the van the previous day).
They then phoned me back to say they had nothing to collect.
So after spending 15 minutes making calls back to the office I was finally instructed to head straight to the 2nd collection point.
Had I not had that first collection to do in the first place I would have already reached the address of that 2nd collection point, but never mind eh.
So off to what is now my first call. Get there and it is down a little narrow one-way street, with no easy place to park, but I manage to get the van reasonably close, however, I 'buzz' their doorbell to get in and am left standing around outside for 10 minutes before finally getting in, and then the access for getting the 42 boxes out to the van is quite restricted, so that takes me a good half-hour to do.
Then it is off to Stratford-Upon-Avon.
I get there and the collection point is within the grounds of a hospital, so obviously.....no bleedin parking anywhere.
I do manage to find a space to park the big van just nextdoor, outside the adjacent pharmacy, who kindly let me leave the van there.
I go into the collection point and they faff around for ages.
Firstly they spend 10 minutes trying to find the person who I have to collect the boxes from, but they're on lunch and don't get back for another 10 minutes.
Then it transpires that the 'usual person' is off for a holiday period, and this woman covering can't find the keys for the storage room.
Eventually 3 different bunches of keys are found and she methodically goes through all of them but still can't find the right key.
(By this point I'm losing the will to live while this shit version of a 'crystal maze' game is playing out)
"Oh" she says "I think this is the room which they had to change the lock on".
So off she scuttles again to try to find the new key.
I helpfully suggest that she should maybe looking for a solitary, shiny key, probably left conspicuously on the 'usual person' desk.
She reappears brandishing a shiny key which indeed is the correct one to open the door.
By now I have been there nearly 3/4 of an hour.
There are 67 boxes inside to collect.
Where I have parked the van is a good couple of hundred yards away, through the corridors of the building, out through a fire exit and down a small step, along a narrow-ish path past some bee-filled flowering shrubs, up a 'ramp' next to some steps (which everyone seems to want to walk down instead of using the steps), out onto the one-way access road which seems to be the busiest road in the area, and finally reaching the van.
The sack-barrow will only hold 6 boxes at best, so that's 11 trips I have to make.
In all, loading the van takes until 3pm.
And I still have to go to Reading, and the satnav kindly informs me that it will take 2 hours 50 min to get there.
So I call the office and explain that I don't think i'll get there before 6pm (the van is subject to lower speed limits than cars), and after a couple of phone calls back and forward I am instructed not to go to Reading but instead just head back to WGC.
By now though it is getting on for 4pm, and I'm 106 miles away, the other side of Cheltenham.
The satnav helpfully informs me that 'due to congestion adding 20 minutes to my journey time I will not arrive at my destination until 6.30pm, but this is still the best, fastest route'.
Anyways....after sitting in heavy traffic around both Cheltenham and Oxford but managing to make up some time as the M25 is not too busy (unusual for a Friday afternoon/evening), I get back to WGC at 6.35pm.
The boss was not too happy and queried why I took so long, so I politely explained the initial cock-up, the various delays, the speed limits which apply to a van etc etc, and he replied that Steve (the other driver) usually leaves at 6am and gets back by 2pm.
To which I replied that I was told to start at 8.30, and that I didn't leave the office until about 9.30 after doing all the required paperwork etc, so 9.30 to 6.30 not including the total time lost (through no fault of mine) of about an hour and a half, is the same sort of time in total, if not actually quicker.

So in summary, I think that in future, if I get terrible route planning, and nit-picking about the time I take, then I will probably tell them to stick their job.
No more mention if the management position that was spoken about at your initial interview?

Trevp666

Reaction score
No more mention if the management position that was spoken about at your initial interview?
No but did say he wants me to get more involved with other stuff and not just driving.
Which is okay as long as he gives me a higher rate of pay than I currently get for just driving.
My years of skills, knowledge and experience with regards to managing stock and controlling supply chains along with the associated administrative requirements don't come cheap.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
No but did say he wants me to get more involved with other stuff and not just driving.
Which is okay as long as he gives me a higher rate of pay than I currently get for just driving.
My years of skills, knowledge and experience with regards to managing stock and controlling supply chains along with the associated administrative requirements don't come cheap.
Hey Trev whats all this gab groups stuff?

Trevp666

Reaction score
Hey Trev whats all this gab groups stuff?
I have messaged you with a longer explanation but 'Gab' is an alternative social media site similar to facebook but nowhere near as heavily censored.