The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
So I'm still working for the same feller, 2 days a week (Tuesday and Friday).
Went to Birmingham on Tuesday to drop off '223' boxes.
Got up there in good time.
Found the place fairly easily.
A little bit of faffing around to make some space to unload into.
They counted the boxes and there was only 143.
Counted again (a different way) still 143.
Phoned my boss who advised 'count them again'.
(At this point I figured 'lets hope it's still 143, or we're going to have to count them a 4th time')
It was indeed 143.
Boss calls up - 'sorry, we made a mistake at this end'.
So that was half an hour wasted.
Took a slow(ish) drive back avoiding the motorways because ....why not?!

Boss texts me yesterday morning.
"Please call me ASAP to discuss trip to Yorkshire tomorrow"
Now, that would have meant that he expected me to go to Yorkshire today (Thursday) when I only work Tues/Fri, so I figured he's made some kind of a mistake there, so decided to wait a few hours before calling him (I've realised he tends to make a few mistakes).
Called him up and asked "What's this about going to Yorkshire tomorrow?"
"Oh no sorry, I made a mistake, I meant Friday...."
So there you go.

I'm off to Yorkshire tomorrow then, with 2 other collections on the way back in Retford and Peterborough.
So in order to avoid horrendous traffic and get back at a sensible time I'm digging around in the bushes outside to find the key (in an agreed container) at 6am tomorrow.

He's off next week apparently so hopefully it'll be a little less, er....error-stricken.

I'm still undecided if I want to stay there - I'm not relishing the thought of too many 6am starts, but I did find out today that the 2 weeks in the middle of the month are busy, the other weeks less so.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So I'm still working for the same feller, 2 days a week (Tuesday and Friday).
Went to Birmingham on Tuesday to drop off '223' boxes.
Got up there in good time.
Found the place fairly easily.
A little bit of faffing around to make some space to unload into.
They counted the boxes and there was only 143.
Counted again (a different way) still 143.
Phoned my boss who advised 'count them again'.
(At this point I figured 'lets hope it's still 143, or we're going to have to count them a 4th time')
It was indeed 143.
Boss calls up - 'sorry, we made a mistake at this end'.
So that was half an hour wasted.
Took a slow(ish) drive back avoiding the motorways because ....why not?!

Boss texts me yesterday morning.
"Please call me ASAP to discuss trip to Yorkshire tomorrow"
Now, that would have meant that he expected me to go to Yorkshire today (Thursday) when I only work Tues/Fri, so I figured he's made some kind of a mistake there, so decided to wait a few hours before calling him (I've realised he tends to make a few mistakes).
Called him up and asked "What's this about going to Yorkshire tomorrow?"
"Oh no sorry, I made a mistake, I meant Friday...."
So there you go.

I'm off to Yorkshire tomorrow then, with 2 other collections on the way back in Retford and Peterborough.
So in order to avoid horrendous traffic and get back at a sensible time I'm digging around in the bushes outside to find the key (in an agreed container) at 6am tomorrow.

He's off next week apparently so hopefully it'll be a little less, er....error-stricken.

I'm still undecided if I want to stay there - I'm not relishing the thought of too many 6am starts, but I did find out today that the 2 weeks in the middle of the month are busy, the other weeks less so.
Years ago I worked as a courier for a small family company who did a lot of work for Bentley Motors. It was quite good as all the vehicles were legal, in good condition, it wasn't multi-drop and you stayed with the same vehicle for most of the time. The level of incompetence from Bentley was unbelievable though. We used to do a run to Plymouth every Friday and on many occassions I'd get there (having driven a 7.5 tonner from Crewe- 250 miles) to be told '' don't know why you're here, nothing for you today). My boss still got paid so he didn't care, but a heck of a waste of money. And that was just one example of many.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
aholidayrequest001.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were in the UK, I'd sign up--I was an extra in Hornblower a number of years back and had great fun (and decent enough pay for a lot of sitting and reading).

FDYckhDXIAU5NDP.jpeg

Trevp666

Reaction score
So the final act on the short-lived job I have had.
When I finished yesterday I was told just 2 collections to make today, Stratford-on-Avon and Evesham.
Okay I said, 0730 start today.
But then in the evening a message saying 'Sorry, forgot to mention a drop in Birmingham first.
Okay I said.
Then this morning at 0700 a text message saying 'Start at 0800 as nobody available to open up'.
Okay, I thought.
When I get there this morning I get told 'Oh, also, 2 other collections near Oxford'.
"Well," I said, "Put them on the sheet but I doubt I'll have time".
So off I went and incurred several delays through traffic etc.
By the time I got to Evesham (1.30) and the fact that I wouldn't finish loading there until 3pm I called and advised that the 2 that were added last minute were not achievable, or at least, if I managed to do them I wouldn't get back til 8pm, and I was told by the staffer to head straight back.
I arrived back at 5.30pm and told the staffer who was there that I think it's not for me.
So sitting here now I have had a text message exchange with the boss who basically thinks that the 2 extra collections should have been done, despite me being told by the staffer to come straight back.
My reply? Sorry, too disorganised, too many last minute decisions, it's not for me.
Then a frantic voicemail asking me to do those 2 collections on Monday instead and then discuss for ongoing!
Nope. He had his chance. He can spin.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
When I finished yesterday I was told just 2 collections to make today, Stratford-on-Avon and Evesham.
But then in the evening a message saying 'Sorry, forgot to mention a drop in Birmingham first.
Okay I said.
Then this morning at 0700 a text message saying 'Start at 0800 as nobody available to open up'.
Okay, I thought.
When I get there this morning I get told 'Oh, also, 2 other collections near Oxford'.
By the time I got to Evesham (1.30) and the fact that I wouldn't finish loading there until 3pm I called and advised that the 2 that were added last minute were not achievable, or at least, if I managed to do them I wouldn't get back til 8pm, and I was told by the staffer to head straight back.
I arrived back at 5.30pm and told the staffer who was there that I think it's not for me.
So sitting here now I have had a text message exchange with the boss who basically thinks that the 2 extra collections should have been done, despite me being told by the staffer to come straight back.
My reply? Sorry, too disorganised, too many last minute decisions, it's not for me.
Then a frantic voicemail asking me to do those 2 collections on Monday instead and then discuss for ongoing!
Sorry to hear that, Trev. They took the piss.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Okay I said.
Okay, I thought.
I thought at the beginning you said there was a more managerial job and you opted for delivery. Sounds like you should suggest they need someone who knows what the fuck they are doing in the basics. How about you offer to take up a more supervisory role where the company is clearly failing for more money instead of telling him what he can do with the job.

Swifty

Reaction score
Okay I said.
Okay, I thought.
I don't blame you Trev, sounds like a headache.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Well that escalated quickly, LOL
Received a message from him today full of all sorts of nonsense.
He said that he had received complaints 'from staff members' about me, saying that I had discussions about wages with them (which is totally baseless nonsense, and there are only the 2 girls there, and I have barely spoken to them other than to say hello, and talk about what work there is to do.)
Also that if I don't work I have broken the terms of the contract (despite me not having a contract, only a verbal agreement to work certain days, and some of those days I've been told that there is no work to do and to not come in)
And saying if I don't work a 1 week notice period he will take legal action, and charge me the bill for having to hire a courier (despite him being perfectly able to drive the van himself, and me not yet having even completed 1 month employment so not even needed to give any notice anyway).
I have emailed him all the details of what days I worked and the fact that some of the days I have had to exceed the legal requirements regarding driving hours, and offered to end it amicably with me doing whatever collections are required this coming week, which he has agreed to.
But I wouldn't be surprised if I twist my ankle on Monday afternoon.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Well that escalated quickly, LOL
Received a message from him today full of all sorts of nonsense.
He said that he had received complaints 'from staff members' about me, saying that I had discussions about wages with them (which is totally baseless nonsense, and there are only the 2 girls there, and I have barely spoken to them other than to say hello, and talk about what work there is to do.)
Also that if I don't work I have broken the terms of the contract (despite me not having a contract, only a verbal agreement to work certain days, and some of those days I've been told that there is no work to do and to not come in)
And saying if I don't work a 1 week notice period he will take legal action, and charge me the bill for having to hire a courier (despite him being perfectly able to drive the van himself, and me not yet having even completed 1 month employment so not even needed to give any notice anyway).
I have emailed him all the details of what days I worked and the fact that some of the days I have had to exceed the legal requirements regarding driving hours, and offered to end it amicably with me doing whatever collections are required this coming week, which he has agreed to.
But I wouldn't be surprised if I twist my ankle on Monday afternoon.
This may be why he can't get staff. He's a twat.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
The place that I quit a little while back has since had 4 other members of staff leave. One was a director, another was a business angel. This is because the boss there is an autocrat with really poor communication skills - if anybody does not share his vision, they're ignored until they get fed up and leave. The problem with that approach is that the company will eventually run aground.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Indeed. One of the other staff members told me "He's a narcissist who doesn't accept when he is wrong".
As I have worked at some of the UKs largest retail companies in roles that required me to visit their suppliers and identify 'areas of improvement' (in other words, 'things that they obviously and stupidly get wrong') I also offered some free advice about areas in which his small, but growing, business could improve, and the fact that they need someone in a structured position with a definitive role to be a daily 'Operations Manager' which would allow him to concentrate on building the business while the O.M. could control all the daily stuff.
His reply was "I don't need advice on how to run my business" - which he got wrong, he does NEED advice, he doesn't WANT advice.
Unfortunately there is an old saying "Giving advice to people is like giving medicine to children - as much as they need it they don't want it"

Trevp666

Reaction score
I did point out to him that my first full working day after being offered the job was Friday October 15th which he seems to think is wrong, saying that I started before that, on the previous Friday.
Hard to see how I could have started working for him BEFORE being offered the job.
Oh well.

Swifty

Reaction score
I did point out to him that my first full working day after being offered the job was Friday October 15th which he seems to think is wrong, saying that I started before that, on the previous Friday.
Hard to see how I could have started working for him BEFORE being offered the job.
Oh well.
If you can prove that via a payslip or something, he can't take you to court for not doing that final week. He'd might be a dick and not pay you what you will have earned though.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Threatening you to come & work for him! - the man is a total arse. No contract means no obligation. If you decide to do the next week, tell him you’ll only do it for more money just to piss him off.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Despite my outward appearance of being a cantankerous misanthrope I'm actually a rather genuine and generous guy.
I think the proof is the fact that I only had my induction on the Monday 11th October.
I could be as equally arsey and push back against his idiocy but I'm a bigger man than that.
I have a motto that has served me well in life "Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
I'm happy to do a few more days this week, but as we know, if you don't want to be asked to do a job again, do it to the least acceptable standard you can be bothered to.

Swifty

Reaction score
Despite my outward appearance of being a cantankerous misanthrope I'm actually a rather genuine and generous guy.
I think the proof is the fact that I only had my induction on the Monday 11th October.
I could be as equally arsey and push back against his idiocy but I'm a bigger man than that.
I have a motto that has served me well in life "Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
I'm happy to do a few more days this week, but as we know, if you don't want to be asked to do a job again, do it to the least acceptable standard you can be bothered to.
Good luck, may the force be with you and keep us updated.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Okay I said.
Okay, I thought.
This is why people don't want this work anymore. It is worse when in a van, ie a non-tachograph vehicle (there are still laws on driving hours in vans, but with no proof/evidence that you've done an illegal amount of hours, bosses take the p**s.) I once did a 12 hour day, got back to the office around 4pm and was asked if I'd like a trip up to Scotland. (I actually did it because I was living alone and had just split up with the ex at the time). Trouble is, it just means you pay more tax, so it often isn't worth it, financially anyway.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
You're being much more considerate than I would have been Trev. The last job I had began to p**s me off so much that I put my notice in - I was supposed to do a months notice. The idiot boss responded by trying to make me do 40 appointments a week for 4 weeks, which, given the nature of the job, was physically impossible, so he was basically told to stuff it and I left immediately. The company went down the tubes shortly thereafter and good riddance.
Ms P was asked to try and save a 100 year old company recently and is endeavouring to do so, but the board is apparently obstructing every effort. "Arguing with idiots" deffo the case there. The sad fact is that there will be a devastating impact on the lives of their clients and some of the staff for whom life will never be the same (yep that serious). Despite spending £10's of thousands on outside contractors, it's unlikely that the enterprise will survive, solely down to the fact that the powers that be are wholly clueless. So sad.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I spent many years working in Supply Chain Management for some of the UKs top retailers, in roles that required me to visit dozens of major suppliers and giving them advice on "areas of improvement" which would benefit both the supplier and the retailers, in terms of cost and process improvements.
Unfortunately the people in charge of running failing businesses usually don't see it coming, and that isn't because they are unaware of their failings, but because they are deliberately wilfully blind to it. "Don't tell me how to run my business" is a phrase I have heard before....usually just a few weeks before the business fails.
Quite often these people are narcissistic individuals who believe that it's "my way or the highway" but they don't realise that they are actually unable to properly run the activities of a larger business, in fact quite often they couldn't even run a bath.
Usually it's because in the initial early stages of their business they had a reasonably good, profitable idea, but when the business expanded they were unable to efficiently scale up their operations to match the increased business, which ultimately led to the sort of failures that this chap I'm currently working for is heading towards.
They refuse to accept good advice in a timely manner, and the case is that (like I said upthread) giving them advice is like giving medicine to children - as much as they need it they don't want it.

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Hi trev all companies are more or less the same.
The job i had involved travelling quite a bit and on a very regular basis i would pass work mates travelling to York Harrogate from bishop Auckland Middlesbrough etc while I would be going to there (patch).
The government then cut down restore times ie getting power restored to houses shops businesses.
Resulted in pure chaos