The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
So I did 5 hours today and completed the 2 collections, including a nice slow drive avoiding motorways on the return journey, I felt like taking the scenic route.
When I got back I checked to see what was scheduled for collection tomorrow only to be told "Don't worry, they're not for you..."
Seems like it is quite likely that today was my actual final day.
The boss chap made himself extremely scarce.
LOL.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So I did 5 hours today and completed the 2 collections, including a nice slow drive avoiding motorways on the return journey, I felt like taking the scenic route.
When I got back I checked to see what was scheduled for collection tomorrow only to be told "Don't worry, they're not for you..."
Seems like it is quite likely that today was my actual final day.
The boss chap made himself extremely scarce.
LOL.
Before you start LOLing make sure the check clears.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I've never had any issues, anywhere, with pay, and I have worked at some pretty shady places.
I've kept a record of my hours so at the end of the month I'll check and if I haven't received the right amount I'll go and take a shit on their doorstep.
Repeatedly.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I haven't either although luckily as an accountant I was the one who made damn sure there was always enough to cover the payroll, but I have had several former employers on temp gigs who somehow neglected to send me the tax statements at the end of the year indicating that they had deposited the taxes withheld from my pay.

Trevp666

Reaction score
The clown has texted me - This coming Thursday will be my last day - 2 collections to complete.
I hope they're reasonably near, I don't fancy a long drive.

Trevp666

Reaction score
So last actual day today.
1 delivery to Birmingham and a collection from Stratford-on-Avon.
So I left at 0835 after spending five minutes getting the van out of the warehouse as another van had parked next to it slightly awkwardly.
The driver of the other van was faffing about getting his things out the cab and I said something along the lines of "Are you going out now or not?" in an attempt to establish whether or not it might be sensible for me to wait a few minutes.
"No I'm not going out" was his reply.
'Fine' I thought, and manoeuvred my van out of the shutter doors, did my paperwork, and set off.
I had only got about 2 miles when my phone started ringing, so I pulled over and answered it.
It was the boss chap.
"What did you say to the other driver???" he asked, angrily.
"I don't know what you're on about.....nothing apart from asking him if he was about to go cos he was partly blocking me in....I don't even know his name..."
"Are you sure??? Cos I've just come back into the warehouse and been told that he has quit!"
"Look..." I said calmly, "It's got nothing to do with me "

I expect the other driver has been treated the same way that he was treating me.
I doubt whether he hangs on to any staff for more than a few weeks TBH.

Anyway...that's a line drawn under that episode.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
So last actual day today.
1 delivery to Birmingham and a collection from Stratford-on-Avon.
So I left at 0835 after spending five minutes getting the van out of the warehouse as another van had parked next to it slightly awkwardly.
The driver of the other van was faffing about getting his things out the cab and I said something along the lines of "Are you going out now or not?" in an attempt to establish whether or not it might be sensible for me to wait a few minutes.
"No I'm not going out" was his reply.
'Fine' I thought, and manoeuvred my van out of the shutter doors, did my paperwork, and set off.
I had only got about 2 miles when my phone started ringing, so I pulled over and answered it.
It was the boss chap.
"What did you say to the other driver???" he asked, angrily.
"I don't know what you're on about.....nothing apart from asking him if he was about to go cos he was partly blocking me in....I don't even know his name..."
"Are you sure??? Cos I've just come back into the warehouse and been told that he has quit!"
"Look..." I said calmly, "It's got nothing to do with me "

I expect the other driver has been treated the same way that he was treating me.
I doubt whether he hangs on to any staff for more than a few weeks TBH.

Anyway...that's a line drawn under that episode.
When I'm out and about in t'banger I watch out for delivery vans and give way to them at junctions etc.
Poor buggers, they're under pressure.

Trevp666

Reaction score
There is an apposite phrase that I find seems to apply to a lot of jobs that I get involved in.
"It's funny how some people seem to be able to make a very easy job, very difficult".
I mean, come on....we're all grown-ups. If you're paying someone to do a simple job, just let them get on with doing it, without putting a load of pointless silly obstacles in the way, and/or making unachievable/unreasonable requests of them.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When I'm out and about in t'banger I watch out for delivery vans and give way to them at junctions etc.
Poor buggers, they're under pressure.
There is an apposite phrase that I find seems to apply to a lot of jobs that I get involved in.
"It's funny how some people seem to be able to make a very easy job, very difficult".
I mean, come on....we're all grown-ups. If you're paying someone to do a simple job, just let them get on with doing it, without putting a load of pointless silly obstacles in the way, and/or making unachievable/unreasonable requests of them.
A mate of mine once had a job with an agency doing multi-drops... in an artic. He's the sort of guy who doesn't let low bridges, narrow streets etc bother him, but still.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My friend who I mentioned who drove artics used to get into all sorts of problems, some due to his disregard for preperation of his routes, but more to do with idiotic requests from the bosses. One day in London Town, he came face to face with a low bridge. The only way to go was left down a one-way (the wrong way) but he couldn't turn due to bollards stopping him from swinging the trailer around. A van driver stopped and told him that the bollards could be taken out, and did it for him so he could turn. Sets off down the one-way only to find that he can't turn at the other end due to all the parked cars. He then has to back up the one-way to the point he started from. This was a usual day for him I think.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My friend who I mentioned who drove artics used to get into all sorts of problems, some due to his disregard for preperation of his routes, but more to do with idiotic requests from the bosses. One day in London Town, he came face to face with a low bridge. The only way to go was left down a one-way (the wrong way) but he couldn't turn due to bollards stopping him from swinging the trailer around. A van driver stopped and told him that the bollards could be taken out, and did it for him so he could turn. Sets off down the one-way only to find that he can't turn at the other end due to all the parked cars. He then has to back up the one-way to the point he started from. This was a usual day for him I think.
This happened outside the Market Centre (you know where) years ago. Before it was pedestrianised an artic tried to negotiate the sharp bend outside and flattened all the bollards. Word spread and there was soon a crowd watching as the hapless driver tried to wiggle out. :chuckle:

You'll have noticed that about 7 years ago all the railway bridges were painted up with chevrons and given height signs. Trucks still crash into them though.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I've got a sniff at a new job, it's at one of those Mountain Warehouse type places so I'd be selling hiking boots, tents and expensive jackets and the like. As is my luck, the manager's on holiday next week then back the week after so I should get a call or email. I knew it was a good idea to have a shave this morning .. and they remain open through January which would help.

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The number of times that I had to queue for ages because the Blackwall Tunnel was blocked by overheight vehicles was unbelievable. My suggestion that the driver's heads be put on spikes on the approach road above all the warning signs before the final "escape" road was not acted on or appreciated.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've got a sniff at a new job, it's at one of those Mountain Warehouse type places so I'd be selling hiking boots, tents and expensive jackets and the like. As is my luck, the manager's on holiday next week then back the week after so I should get a call or email. I knew it was a good idea to have a shave this morning .. and they remain open through January which would help.
Can you get us all discounts?

Trevp666

Reaction score
one of those Mountain Warehouse type places so I'd be selling hiking boots
And keeping an eye out for any one-legged people hanging around suspiciously next to the display by the front doors.

Trevp666

Reaction score
You'd have to tell them to hop off.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The number of times that I had to queue for ages because the Blackwall Tunnel was blocked by overheight vehicles was unbelievable. My suggestion that the driver's heads be put on spikes on the approach road above all the warning signs before the final "escape" road was not acted on or appreciated.
I've suggested maching gunning as a deterrent before, but spikes on heads is a good idea too- and more fitting for the history of London as well I should think. I don't think I've been through there, but there certainly does seem to be adequate warnings.

Trevp666

Reaction score
The thing is though is that warnings are no good if the driver is an idiot or incompetent.
There is a 'famous' bridge in the US which has it's own youtube account AFAIK.
As for a lot of bridges, it even has a thing hanging above the road some distance beforehand which states something like 'If you hit this then you will hit that bridge ahead'. It doesn't stop people.
Ahah....it DOES have it's own account at yovo68.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Um - did I miss an episode? I thought you were working in a deli sort of place.

Swifty

Reaction score
Obviously, we need to know the gory details of how this part of the process went.
Covid lockdown easing off at the same time a new McDonalds opened next door to our place but McDonald kept fucking up hence both reasons for the extra footfall. Mix that with an owner who didn't want to pay for me to have a co worker so I was on my own every night (or pay me for overtime caused by this) at the same time and customers who'd google what time I closed and then turn up at my closing time. Every night.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Being retired, even with less money saved than I had hoped for, is still blissful compared to the clenched-jawed smiles of (decades of) employment. My heart goes out to our working companions, Fortean or not. "God bless us, every one."

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Covid lockdown easing off at the same time a new McDonalds opened next door to our place but McDonald kept fucking up hence both reasons for the extra footfall. Mix that with an owner who didn't want to pay for me to have a co worker so I was on my own every night (or pay me for overtime caused by this) at the same time and customers who'd google what time I closed and then turn up at my closing time. Every night.
I thought we all agreed that having the door locked and the closed sign put up half an hour beforehand would give you the time to clean up, cash up and shut up shop in reasonable time.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Being retired, even with less money saved than I had hoped for, is still blissful compared to the clenched-jawed smiles of (decades of) employment. My heart goes out to our working companions, Fortean or not. "God bless us, every one."

Ditto. I live off my wits and an actuarially adjusted pension (both sadly inadequate).

Swifty

Reaction score
I thought we all agreed that having the door locked and the closed sign put up half an hour beforehand would give you the time to clean up, cash up and shut up shop in reasonable time.
Me and you did but I chose to close up ten minutes early instead and the boss didn't like that. He liked me working for free though.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Me and you did but I chose to close up ten minutes early instead and the boss didn't like that. He liked me working for free though.
@Swifty - I know nothing about Cromer or living in the UK - but, have you considered working for Mcdonalds? It is there, isn't going away, and presumably will need multiple workers for different shifts. Join big brother and merge with the McBorg. A possible side benefit is that it would likely really annoy your current (or recently quit) employer. A two-fer, and, as always, fuck 'em.