The 'Unemployed Again' Thread

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
In the UK most MaccyDs are run as aa franchise outlet.
Seeing as (by all accounts) Cromer is a fairly small community, I expect it likely that our Swifty has already considered this possibility and ruled it out on the grounds that it is most probable that existing employees are known to him.....

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
@Swifty

If you get desperate, PM me.

Am still in my call centre job, which can be done from anywhere in the UK.
I may write about it when I leave.
I have written a bit about it before.

It is low paid, rude customers, disciplinarian managers, not enough breaks, and not good for one's mind-state.

But

It is legal, it is PAYE and they need more staff.
And you can do it entirely from home, so low Covid Risk.

You could get your head down and do it for six months whilst you look for something else.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
@Swifty

If you get desperate, PM me.

Am still in my call centre job, which can be done from anywhere in the UK.
I may write about it when I leave.
I have written a bit about it before.

It is low paid, rude customers, disciplinarian managers, not enough breaks, and not good for one's mind-state.

But

It is legal, it is PAYE and they need more staff.
And you can do it entirely from home, so low Covid Risk.

You could do get your head down and do it for six months whilst you look for something else.
Thanks Victory X

Swifty

Reaction score
In the UK most MaccyDs are run as aa franchise outlet.
Seeing as (by all accounts) Cromer is a fairly small community, I expect it likely that our Swifty has already considered this possibility and ruled it out on the grounds that it is most probable that existing employees are known to him.....
My last job was running a franchise outlet, Subway just up the road from Cromer's Maccy D. To be honest, I don't think I do know anyone who works there apart from staff I got to know a little because I'd usually pop in on my way home to buy a couple of burgers (I got subs for free but you get bored of them after I while. I just as often asked the Mrs which sub she'd like to take to her work with her the next day or give them to a pensioner who lives a couple of doors down) ... I'm more into the idea of ditching hospitality and food jobs altogether and doing a bit more retail. The hours are more humane. It's a shame about Subway because it was actually a pretty easy job apart from the customers rolling in at the last second.

Cromer's Subway (I've recently received an email from them asking me to complete an online training test, I might do it and submit it just for a laugh even though I've left. They might accidentally pay me)..

asubwaycromer.jpg

Last edited:

Trevp666

Reaction score
As we all know, our Swifty keeps his powder dry in such situations. IIRC he has 'coping strategies' :wink2: which he successfully employs.

Swifty

Reaction score
I'd be terrible trying to work in a shop. It'd be as much as I could do to not tell awkward customers to F-off.
I'm bound to get a few of those Trev but not as many as when hungry tired tourists play you up. I shouldn't get too many customers coming in drunk to buy a tent and whatnot.

Swifty

Reaction score
As we all know, our Swifty keeps his powder dry in such situations. IIRC he has 'coping strategies' :wink2: which he successfully employs.
I shagged a customer once at work :) .. twice actually .. and she stayed at the hotel again the next year but we only went out for a meal that time.

Scene of 'the crime' except it was a customer's lounge back then, a bottle of champagne and a balcony over looking the sea. I'd have been sacked on the spot if we'd been caught in here .. hee hee ..

aredroom001.jpg

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've got a sniff at a new job, it's at one of those Mountain Warehouse type places so I'd be selling hiking boots, tents and expensive jackets and the like. As is my luck, the manager's on holiday next week then back the week after so I should get a call or email. I knew it was a good idea to have a shave this morning .. and they remain open through January which would help.
Will there be a Shakespearian camping sale? :)

In January.
With a sign saying 'This is the winter of our discount tents!'
:rollingw:

Oh, please yourselves. :rolleyes:

Trevp666

Reaction score
The Merchtent of Venice?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you think people are idiots about their ham and swiss on rye, you have no idea how idiotic some folks are about their $300 "mountain jackets".

Swifty

Reaction score
If you think people are idiots about their ham and swiss on rye, you have no idea how idiotic some folks are about their $300 "mountain jackets".
I've got one that was about £600 new .. someone used it as collateral so I'd loan them £70 and I never saw them again. I only found out how expensive it was when some fashion lecturer in a college told me one day, I still wear it now, it's a horse riding jacket with loads of hidden pockets and features included a popper pocket just for sugar cubes and a concealed pull down silver thread embroidered thing on the pack that says 'RIDER'. One of my friends joked that I should have the word 'MUFF' embroidered above that ..

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've got one that was about £600 new .. someone used it as collateral so I'd loan them £70 and I never saw them again. I only found out how expensive it was when some fashion lecturer in a college told me one day, I still wear it now, it's a horse riding jacket with loads of hidden pockets and features included a popper pocket just for sugar cubes and a concealed pull down silver thread embroidered thing on the pack that says 'RIDER'. One of my friends joked that I should have the word 'MUFF' embroidered above that ..
You have to wonder how many of these jackets ever make it to the top of a mountain. Or onto a horse.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yup, you can buy rip-repair tape for the feather/down type. Some people's jackets are entirely held together with that stuff. :chuckle:

Swifty

Reaction score
View attachment 48518

Follow me for more outdoor sleeping accommodation-themed marketing ideas.
That would be 'in-tents' :)

... and I paid a visit to the camping store I'm hoping to be hired by yesterday because I thought it would look good to familiarise myself a bit with their stock. I went in again today because the boss is back from his holiday, I took in my CV because for some bizarre reason the shop can't take external emails which is a new one on me. If I get the job, I've asked for the part time position to start off with then I might be able to build up the hours from there. I've told them I'm willing to be flexible if they need me to do extra hours, it's just that I've had a challenging two years. They seem friendly enough and a bonus is that their head office insists on two staff per shift unlike my last job.