• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Unhinged Henge

those are some fascinating pictures @Sid I really like the one of the man in the suit and hat on his knees trying to examine the underneath of the stone for carvings etc!
Don't know if you happened to see it just the other day on the Blaze Channel 'Frideswide,' on 'The Curse of Oak Island' programme, as they happened to mention and depict a couple of recent images after scanning with 'Lidar' imaging some of the stones at Stonehenge, and they apparently did/do have markings on them ~ markings that are invisible to the eye, but remain in the finer surface detail on the stones.
Must be pretty recent as I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere to date?

Don't know if you happened to see it just the other day on the Blaze Channel 'Frideswide,' on 'The Curse of Oak Island' programme, as they happened to mention and depict a couple of recent images after scanning with 'Lidar' imaging some of the stones at Stonehenge, and they apparently did/do have markings on them ~ markings that are invisible to the eye, but remain in the finer surface detail on the stones.
Must be pretty recent as I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere to date?

The Daily Mail covered it in 2012:

article-2214882-156B73B9000005DC-671_634x573.jpg

"The laser scan has also revealed many more prehistoric carvings, including 71 new images of Bronze Age axe heads chipped into five of the giant stones, bringing the number of such carvings discovered at Stonehenge to 115.

The previously unknown Early Bronze Age carvings are invisible to the naked eye."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...rtance-midwinter-sunset-ancient-creators.html

maximus otter

This is a fascinating insight into the recent history of how Stonehenge was constructed (Interesting Pic's!)
https://www.ancient-code.com/the-images-stonehenge-dont-want-see/
A very interesting article, i do take issue with one of the sections in the piece,

"For too long people have been kept in the dark over the Stonehenge restoration work. I am astonished by how few people know about it."

I have lived relatively close to Stonehenge for most of my life, first visiting it as a child when you could walk amongst the stones, i have always been aware that the stones have been restored many times in the past 100 years, in fact i dont know many people locally who atent aware of this fact, the photos of the restoration work used to be on display at the original visitors centre, i havent been there recently so i cant say whether they still are, the photos posted in the article are widely available online, so if anyone wanted to find out about the circles recent history, it would not take much in the way of research, to say the history has been hidden is a bit of a falsehood. Just because people dont know something doent mean they are being kept in the dark about it, it just means they have only got a passing interest in it.

A very interesting article, i do take issue with one of the sections in the piece,

"For too long people have been kept in the dark over the Stonehenge restoration work. I am astonished by how few people know about it."

I have lived relatively close to Stonehenge for most of my life, first visiting it as a child when you could walk amongst the stones, i have always been aware that the stones have been restored many times in the past 100 years, in fact i dont know many people locally who atent aware of this fact, the photos of the restoration work used to be on display at the original visitors centre, i havent been there recently so i cant say whether they still are, the photos posted in the article are widely available online, so if anyone wanted to find out about the circles recent history, it would not take much in the way of research, to say the history has been hidden is a bit of a falsehood. Just because people dont know something doent mean they are being kept in the dark about it, it just means they have only got a passing interest in it.
Your dead right 'Souleater.'
We should have far more knowledge about it and it's origin's, but I suppose most Archaeologist's go for what catches people's attention first, and it then gets repeated over and over again like many subjects, and people then think they know all that there is to know about things like Stonehenge/and Avebury which I also find fascinating.

The Daily Mail covered it in 2012:

article-2214882-156B73B9000005DC-671_634x573.jpg

"The laser scan has also revealed many more prehistoric carvings, including 71 new images of Bronze Age axe heads chipped into five of the giant stones, bringing the number of such carvings discovered at Stonehenge to 115.

The previously unknown Early Bronze Age carvings are invisible to the naked eye."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...rtance-midwinter-sunset-ancient-creators.html

maximus otter
Thanks for that 'Maximus Otter.' :btime:

Your dead right 'Souleater.'
We should have far more knowledge about it and it's origin's, but I suppose most Archaeologist's go for what catches people's attention first, and it then gets repeated over and over again like many subjects, and people then think they know all that there is to know about things like Stonehenge/and Avebury which I also find fascinating.
Indeed, i visited Avebury for the first time in many decades a couple of years ago, the museum and visitor centre there is very good and describes how, over many years the stones were rediscovered and righted back into the positions they were (according to archeologists) originally in, it is a vast monument and can really only be appreciated from ariel photographs but there is a very good scale model in the museum.

Did the summer solstice at Avebury a couple of years ago. Effing brilliant. Got pictures of the sunrise somewhere - can't find them just now.

I knew there were some axe carvings but not so many! :wide:

I also grew up knowing that Stonehenge had been reconstructed. Not sure where I knew it from, TV probably.

You're right @Souleater people aren't being kept in the dark - they maybe just weren't interested enough to take it on board when they were told?

Back