The Unwhinge Thread

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You might want to pace yourself there. Maybe just the one of three.:rofl:
I think I will stick with the wild, wild men...
unnamed-8.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I’ve just been to our local small supermarket…with no bloody mask on!

Buying yoghurt, coleslaw and apples has never felt so good.

:twothumbs:

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My waking and working day has been extended, and although I haven't made any change to my diet (and I deliberately haven't weighed myself), in the past six to eight weeks, I've evidently lost enough weight to mean that all the medium-sized t-shirts that were languishing at the back or the drawer for two years now fit again.

The extra walk each day has also tightened up all my leg muscles--the only part of my body that has ever had any particular definition of note.

Win.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Just found my favourite hammer, in a tool bag I hardly ever use :)
It's great when that happens. :cool:
I recently came across my best wood drill bits in a toolbag that was hidden away.*
The bag is actually a handbag made to look like a toolbag, in some grotesque parody of fashion.
It's sturdy and works really well.

*I routinely hide my tools the principles that a. every man I've ever lived with has purloined them and b. they don't bloody look after them. :mad:
This is something I will not back down on.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I recently came across my best wood drill bits in a toolbag that was hidden away.*
The bag is actually a handbag made to look like a toolbag, in some grotesque parody of fashion.

*I routinely hide my tools the principles that a. every man I've ever lived with has purloined them and b. they don't bloody look after them. :mad:
Not many people do look after their tools any more. I know I'm a culprit. My Dad and Grandad are no doubt looking on with huge disapproval.

(No double entedres are intended in the above statement. I mean it).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Not many people do look after their tools any more. I know I'm a culprit. My Dad and Grandad are no doubt looking on with huge disapproval.

(No double entedres are intended in the above statement. I mean it).
I promise I always take GREAT care of tools. :wink2:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score

There's a private tool museum in Glasgow.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/scots-hardware-shop-owner-reveals-12547454

I was in that shop a couple of weeks ago and would have loved to have had a look at the connection. Guys in the shop though were all run off their feet- its always busy (which is great to see these days)

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
HE'S A GOOD BOY YESHEISYESHEISYESHEIS!!! :)
He's a very good boy. My nephew said he's the only dog they've had that didn't wake people up in the mornings - they have to wake him up and he'll give them a look that says "What...it's still the middle of the night" and he'll go back to sleep... then he hears kitchen sounds and it's WAKEY WAKEY!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Every year we get a pair of nesting doves outside our back door, they like to build behind our satellite dish. The first couple did a great job but all the others since just haven't been able to keep the twigs up there. I need to find someone local to loan me an aluminium ladder because I want to build them a platform for next year. If anyone's got any suggestions I'd appreciate it because this new generation of doves are shit at building nests so we sometimes find their eggs smashed on the ground. My plan is to varnish some wood, drill some holes in it and attach it with some plastic tie grips.

I've just been standing in our back door when one landed on one of our garden tables only about 4ft away from me, completely unafraid and stood their looking at me with a twig in it's beak for about 10 seconds before flying up again to the dish. :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's back to school for my daughter next week, so I've been gradually trying to ease her sleeping patterns away from 'anything goes' and towards an 'early to bed, early to rise' scenario.

She's never been particularly bright-tailed and bushy-eyed first thing, so today I started off by playing Israelites by Desmond Dekker at a medium volume in her bedroom, and she woke up with a big smile.

Great song.

Tomorrow it's Lovely Day by Bill Withers.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It's back to school for my daughter next week, so I've been gradually trying to ease her sleeping patterns away from 'anything goes' and towards an 'early to bed, early to rise' scenario.

She's never been particularly bright-tailed and bushy eyed first thing, so today I started off by playing Israelites by Desmond Dekker at a medium volume in her bedroom, and she woke up with a big smile.

Great song.

Tomorrow it's Lovely Day by Bill Withers.
Get Don't Worry Be Happy on that play list man :)

edit:

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Being in school since the beginning of August, I was hoping for a better school year for my grandkids.

There have been parent protests for or against masks, but so far the kids are still in school with our county choosing masks optional.

It seems there is a toxic atmosphere that has settled over the U.S since covid arrived.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Oops. Posted a whinge in the Unwhinge thread.

Edited to add that I'm happy and content to be indoors on a wet day listening to favourite music, drinking strong tea and reading some old music magazines from the 90s.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Miss Yith's first day at big-girl's school today, and it seems to have been a success.

I've been working late, but I received a message from her earlier telling me that the day was 'great', she's made a friend called Emily with blue eyes, and she likes her new teacher. Her classmates are from all over the world, and she feels very at home with that.

There was no precedent that would have led me to expect any significant issue with her settling in, but it's still a minor relief.

Having had a fortnight of jumping through administrative and practical hoops: school has changed a lot since I was a lad!

And they really don't like peanuts--this has been mentioned countless times!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Went to the opticians - first time in over two years 'cos Covid. I normally get a free yearly check due to being a Cyclops. I had been worried after the last test because they, in conjunction with the hospital, had thought I was starting a cataract.

I had lost the sight in my other eye due to a bungled cataract operation what seems like a century or so ago, so my worry was no doubt disproportionate. (That wasn't why I lost the eye, that was due to an unfortunate accident playing football some years later.)

Was very pleased to hear that the cataract has not developed at all over the two years and in fact my sight is slightly better than it was.

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Who decides what words are included in the list of words available for predictive texting on phones? My phone has the words "eggbound", "Hitler", and "Stinson" in it.

I don't tend to text very frequently about Hitler or use euphemisms for constipation in my messages, and (assuming Stinson is a surname) have never encountered anyone of that name.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I would just like to post some appreciation for all the members of this forum.

It is easily the most welcoming, supportive, interesting, reassuring, uplifting, funny and inclusive online community I've ever encountered.

Thanks guys!