The Unwhinge Thread

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I just found out what rutabaga is. i lived in the US for 5 years and thought it was some sort of exotic stuff that only grew in say Florida. But it's swede! Essex Potato!
I've spent about 15 minutes laughing at a) my naivete and b) the whole two nations divided by a common language thing.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Swede has always been listed as Rutabaga - maybe its Swedish name! - on the ingredients list of Branston pickle.

Like you, I imagined I was enjoying an exotic experience! :loveu:
Turnip in Canada:), or rutabaga if you don't like noshing turnip.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm working at home; it's all going well; the sun is shining; Mrs Cycleboy isn't here today (which isn't an unwhinge) so rather than Radio 2 I can listen to Chet Baker (which is an unwhinge) and this is the view from my office/kitchen window an hour or so ago.

Awww!! Look at the little fella on the left who's filled out ready for winter! (Not for Max's freezer...) And mum's winter coat is looking good too.

IMG_4095 copy 2.jpg
IMG_4094 copy 2.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm working at home; it's all going well; the sun is shining; Mrs Cycleboy isn't here today (which isn't an unwhinge) so rather than Radio 2 I can listen to Chet Baker (which is an unwhinge) and this is the view from my office/kitchen window an hour or so ago.

Awww!! Look at the little fella on the left who's filled out ready for winter! (Not for Max's freezer...) And mum's winter coat is looking good too.

View attachment 47710View attachment 47711
You could put treats out for them. As you'll probably know they enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables.

Like me. I like fresh fruits and vegetables.

You could put some out for me.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of my sons in law has not been successful in getting a new cell phone.

The local Verizon store has been out saying their phones are stuck on cargo ship on the ocean.

He ordered on line but that phone seems delayed.

This is cargo container apocalypse.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
As a superstitious counterbalance to my recent 'whinge':

The scales tell me that I'm now under 70kg / 11 stone for the first time in several years.

Didn't start as a conscious attempt to lose weight, but now I'm planning to stay busy and see whether I can manage a bit more.

I think that about 65kg is supposedly plum in the middle of 'ideal' for my height, although with my natural build and face-shape, that'll make me look pretty thin.

We'll see--the only goal is to feel good; I'm not really chasing numbers, just observing them.

Checking in six weeks later: the scales tell me I've shed a further 2.5kg

A shade under 67.5kg = roughly 10 stone 9lbs.

The fact that I'm now going to need some kind of bloody vaccine verification to go to the bar and eat out also militates against too much backsliding.

I've had the injections, but I haven't even looked into how to get the verification yet.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Checking in six weeks later: the scales tell me I've shed a further 2.5kg

A shade under 67.5kg = roughly 10 stone 9lbs.

The fact that I'm now going to need some kind of bloody vaccine verification to go to the bar and eat out also militates against too much backsliding.

I've had the injections, but I haven't even looked into how to get the verification yet.
Ah, 67.5kg. Yes, if I look in my rear-view mirror I can see that dimly in the distance...

Roll on 2022, when I'm hoping to turn a corner...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My in-laws drove across to the city we both used to live in to pray at what used to be our local temple for my nephew. He's days away from his university entrance exams and is going for medicine on a fiercely competitive course. Although he is bright and driven, success is by no means certain, so the trip is as helpful for their nerves as it is for his results.

Anyway, the by-product of the drive is close proximity to my favourite brewery. They called in for a drink and some food and dropped this haul off on their way home.

SmartSelect_20211114-193439_Gallery.jpg

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My in-laws drove across to the city we both used to live in to pray at what used to be our local temple for my nephew. He's days away from his university entrance exams and is going for medicine on a fiercely competitive course. Although he is bright and driven, success is by no means certain, so the trip is as helpful for their nerves as it is for his results.

Anyway, the by-product of the drive is close proximity to my favourite brewery. They called in for a drink and some food and dropped this haul off on their way home.

View attachment 48082
4.0 to 4.5% is a nice strength for a refreshing session beer.
Is it all lager out there or can you get IPAs and darker ales?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
4.0 to 4.5% is a nice strength for a refreshing session beer.
Is it all lager out there or can you get IPAs and darker ales?

These are both ales: the green (Hunchback) is an IPA and the white is (Hawaiian Shirt) 'golden' (slightly citrusy) regular ale.

I passed over my staple from that brewery (Hopsplash) at 6.7% and the stronger one (name escapes) at 7.2% precisely because these are my after-work pint; those stronger ones simply knock me for six!

These are all microbrewery products. The mass produced stuff is overwhelmingly lager. This brewery, Playground, offers a full range of stouts, wheat beers, IPAs, regular pale ales, and, rarely, porters. IPA is very popular here with ale devotees.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
These are both ales: the green (Hunchback) is an IPA and the white is (Hawaiian Shirt) 'golden' (slightly citrusy) regular ale.

I passed over my staple from that brewery (Hopsplash) at 6.8% and the stronger one (name escapes) at 7.2% precisely because these are my after-work pint; those stronger ones simply knock me for six!

These are all microbrewery products. The mass produced stuff is overwhelmingly lager. This brewery, Playground, offers a full range of stout, wheat beers, IPAs and, rarely, porters.

Here:
https://www.playgroundbrewery.com/?lang=en

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
All look tasty (except for the cherry flavoured one) but, unfortunately, I cannot find any outlet for Playground brewery in the UK.

It's regional within Korea, I'm afraid.

I have actually had the cherry one (wife wanted to try it but was driving so left most for me), and although it wouldn't be my first choice, it didn't taste like perfume, which is what I'd imagined!

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My daughter and her partner came for Sunday lunch. Unfortunately I'd invited them, forgetting that I was on a late shift on Saturday night, so midnight last night found me peeling potatoes and making cheesy leeks. However, all went well, the chocolate cake dessert was delicious and it was lovely to see them on a bright, mild sunny day. We've yet to have any particularly vicious cold weather here in Yorkshire and, as my late mum used to say, 'every day gone is a day less of winter.'

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Film director/producer/screenwriter Peter Jackson's new work on the making of the Beatles final album 'Let it Be' is soon to be released.

Production of The Beatles: Get Back employed film restoration techniques developed for Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old. Over 55 hours of footage and 140 hours of audio stemming from the original Let It Be film project were made available to Jackson's team. In reference to the long-reported acrimony surrounding the original Get Back project, Jackson wrote in a press statement that he was "relieved to discover the reality is very different to the myth ... Sure, there's moments of drama – but none of the discord this project has long been associated with."

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The rudeness of other drivers on the road these days has reach new heights, but I shopped in a “big box “ grocery today, and damn, the crazy people and their carts were trying to run over me.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The police have managed to identify the owner of the car that crashed into my wife's car in a car park; he drove off without reporting it.

Turns out he's an old man who's laughably bad at parking—it was caught on CCTV. Our apartment block attendant tells us that he came around to apologise in person, but he would not reveal which apartment was ours without our prior permission, so we're half expecting a note left downstairs tomorrow.

The police asked whether we wanted them to pursue the matter against him now that the insurance stuff is sorted, the tone being that, given his age and seeming economic status, they were inclined to let him off if we were amenable.

We gave the old chap some festive charity, and my wife's happy with the Audi she's been given while repairs are completed.

All's well that ends well.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Well, my feet aren't completely bolloxed which is a relief, I've just got back from the Norfolk and Norwich hospital where a foxy Polish Dr fired electrical pulses into my feet and she says there's no serious damage, just a bit of nerve damage which they should be able to fix .. and I was able to score a load of free face masks .. and we had a McDonalds at ASDA while the Mrs bought herself some socks, trousers and a jazzy top for work for just twenty quid! ... I'd have liked to have hooked up with titch who was in Norwich Castle today but I didn't have enough time sadly. Good day in all otherwise. (and the Mrs got to wind up someone I don't like).

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'd have liked to have hooked up with titch who was in Norwich Castle today but I didn't have enough time sadly.
I was originally planning on a holiday in sheringham but Facebook stalking didn't give me enough information on if some ex-family members still exist there, maybe next year though.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I was originally planning on a holiday in sheringham but Facebook stalking didn't give me enough information on if some ex-family members still exist there, maybe next year though.
Game on mate.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The police have managed to identify the owner of the car that crashed into my wife's car in a car park; he drove off without reporting it.

Turns out he's an old man who's laughably bad at parking—it was caught on CCTV. Our apartment block attendant tells us that he came around to apologise in person, but he would not reveal which apartment was ours without our prior permission, so we're half expecting a note left downstairs tomorrow.

The police asked whether we wanted them to pursue the matter against him now that the insurance stuff is sorted, the tone being that, given his age and seeming economic status, they were inclined to let him off if we were amenable.

We gave the old chap some festive charity, and my wife's happy with the Audi she's been given while repairs are completed.

All's well that ends well.
It seems my Christmas shopping isn’t complete until there’s the annual encounter with ‘The Old Bloke’ in Sainsbury’s car park. I used to see him in an altercation with other people year after year after he crashed into them. On a couple of occasions, I’d spot him - hand clutching his forehead at the far end of the car park looking at his latest festive victim. He actually ran into the back of me a couple of years ago but there was no damage. He’s an agent of complete Xmas parking chaos. His wife is usually sitting there in the passenger seat, expressionless like that mother-in-law ghost in the back of the car picture while it’s all kicking off.