The Unwhinge Thread

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The police have managed to identify the owner of the car that crashed into my wife's car in a car park; he drove off without reporting it.

Turns out he's an old man who's laughably bad at parking—it was caught on CCTV. Our apartment block attendant tells us that he came around to apologise in person, but he would not reveal which apartment was ours without our prior permission, so we're half expecting a note left downstairs tomorrow.

The police asked whether we wanted them to pursue the matter against him now that the insurance stuff is sorted, the tone being that, given his age and seeming economic status, they were inclined to let him off if we were amenable.

We gave the old chap some festive charity, and my wife's happy with the Audi she's been given while repairs are completed.

All's well that ends well.
It seems my Christmas shopping isn’t complete until there’s the annual encounter with ‘The Old Bloke’ in Sainsbury’s car park. I used to see him in an altercation with other people year after year after he crashed into them. On a couple of occasions, I’d spot him - hand clutching his forehead at the far end of the car park looking at his latest festive victim. He actually ran into the back of me a couple of years ago but there was no damage. He’s an agent of complete Xmas parking chaos. His wife is usually sitting there in the passenger seat, expressionless like that mother-in-law ghost in the back of the car picture while it’s all kicking off.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Just received a message to say that Miss Yith has got a place in a music recital.

It came at just the right time, as she'd auditioned for a couple of other shows and performances at her school and not won a place, so the news—when I tell her—will be very welcome and restore her enthusiasm.

She's only seven years old, and music for her is just 'a thing' she likes not 'the thing'; some of the children involved in this kind of thing have been taking one-on-one lessons since they were three or so and practising daily.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thats wonderful, is it her first?

I could never have done anything like that at her age; I was very shy.

Even if I had the skills.

But just this morning, an email, I have had my next conference paper accepted. (second this year...)

I cannot afford to be shy now.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats wonderful, is it her first?

I could never have done anything like that at her age; I was very shy.

Even if I had the skills.

But just this morning, an email, I have had my next conference paper accepted. (second this year...)

I cannot afford to be shy now.

Correct piece of music posted by Maximus, but that's not my daughter playing.

It's not strictly her first recital, but it's the first for a long while, and, more importantly, her first at her new school.

Congratulations of the paper being accepted—what's the subject?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've got my printer/scanner working again!*

iu

I could only be (slightly) happier if my Nigella Lawson/Darcey Bussell/Emily Blunt foursome had come off!

*What I did that apparently resoved the issue: I opened "Devices and Printers" (Windows 8.1) and noted that my printer (HP Envy Pro 64xx series) appeared twice. I deleted both instances, then re-ran the HP setup utility while the printer was connected to my laptop via a USB cable. Bingo!

I am now printing and scanning rubbish just for the fun of it, and dreading the moment when I have to turn it off...

maximus otter