The Unwhinge Thread

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Nearly two weeks ago, on the 25th Aug, I had a big Whinge on the 'other' thread. That whinge has now been resolved in an unusual fashion...

This morning in bed, half awake and half asleep, with random thoughts firing through my mind, I remembered that yesterday I'd been unable to to do my fleece top up because the zip was bust. But that must have been the old one, because I'd bought a new one quite a while ago. I thought I must remember to take the new one when I go for my dental appointment, as it might be cooler today.

And later I did remember, and put the new one on the chair where a lot of my stuff resides. When it was time to go out for my bus, I put the fleece on, and felt a familiar weight in the pocket - I put my hand in, and found my 'lost' camera!
:glee: :D

So somehow last week I'd picked up the wrong fleece to wear, and not finding the camera in the pocket assumed I'd lost it! :oops:

I tried to use it today, but got a Battery Exhausted message. (It's now on charge.)

But having it back was like greeting an old friend, and it's changed my attitude for the better. Once more I find myself looking at the world through a photographers eyes, searching out interesting shots to take, noting all the shapes, colours and movements.

But getting the two fleeces mixed up was an easy mistake to make, as they both came from the same shop. (Admittedly one is blue with a hood and the other is green, without a hood... doh! :rolleyes: :oops: Perhaps this post should have been in Misperceptions... :confused:)

Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)
Wot, pics of me "in bed, half awake and half asleep, with random thoughts firing through my mind..."?

A difficult thing to photograph, as I wasn't fully awake, and didn't have a camera to hand anyway!
Also very difficult to photograph random thoughts!

I suppose I could photograph my dental appointment card, if I can dig it out of the garbage...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
My boss's stoner playboy of a son has had a right telling off for getting me in trouble, I've had an apology from his Dad and my other boss has made me staff supervisor because he says he likes the way I'm calm when training any new recruits ..... this includes supervising the stoner son I've just been told :p .. I'll be kind to him because he's only 25 and in his experimental phase although I have warned him about cannabis induced psychosis .. we've already sussed out who his dealer is :rofl: ... and we've got two new stores opening so things are finally looking up for me. At last ! :)

(... and Frideswide's just agreed to a three way with me and Rynner but don't tell anyone)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful Swifty!

(... and Frideswide's just agreed to a three way with me and Rynner but don't tell anyone)

OK, I won't tell if you won't :clap:

er... does Rynner know are will we be A Lovely Surprise for him? :glee:

Swifty

Reaction score
Wonderful Swifty!

OK, I won't tell if you won't :clap:

er... does Rynner know are will we be A Lovely Surprise for him? :glee:
Just don't tell him about the strap on ..

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Or the strap down..... :rofl:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not one of these people who believes there is any honour to be won from putting in marathon hours, but I've done - at a guess - over fifty hours of work this week, worked through every break and drunk an awful lot of coffee on the way. The unwhinge is that I've finally run into a beer at the end of it all: Singha Premium Import - not top of the tree, but ice-cold and very welcome.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm not one of these people who believes there is any honour to be won from putting in marathon hours, but I've done - at a guess - over fifty hours of work this week, worked through every break and drunk an awful lot of coffee on the way. The unwhinge is that I've finally run into a beer at the end of it all: Singha Premium Import - not top of the tree, but ice-cold and very welcome.
If you work and do your best
You'll get the sack like all the rest
But if you laze and bugger about
You'll live to see the job throughout
The work is hard, the pay is small
So take your time and sod them all
Or on your tombstone neatly lacquered
These three words, "Just bleeding knackered!"

My Mum had that poster on her office wall :) ..
Most small companies I've helped to set up have bent over backwards before they start making money .... afterwards .... :mad:

Last edited:

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard that a bid I wrote for an art project associated with the Autism Allotments has been successful. Wildly successful. Permission not only from the rest of the groups in the walled garden (alzheimers, mental health, learning difficulties, rehabilitation, stroke....) but active offers of collaboration and sharing of materials. Also from the Centre for Contemporary Arts who have professionals we can call on, the relevant Park Office and through them the City Council!

Ye! and as they say Ha! :glee::glee::glee::glee:

Swifty

Reaction score
Heard that a bid I wrote for an art project associated with the Autism Allotments has been successful. Wildly successful. Permission not only from the rest of the groups in the walled garden (alzheimers, mental health, learning difficulties, rehabilitation, stroke....) but active offers of collaboration and sharing of materials. Also from the Centre for Contemporary Arts who have professionals we can call on, the relevant Park Office and through them the City Council!

Ye! and as they say Ha! :glee::glee::glee::glee:
:cool: *big fist bump to Fridswide*

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
I've just flown through Manchester Airport. We thought we'd allowed plenty of time, but security had a false positive for whatever it is they swab for when they tested our cat carrier. The Lufthansa check-in clerk was an absolute angel, as were the perfect strangers who made way for us in the security queue. Even the security staff were human. We heard final calls for "Krepostnoi and family" twice as we galumphed towards the gate, and watched it close on the screens. And still they let us on the flight. The kindness of strangers is easy to underestimate.

And now we're in Kuala Lumpur!

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
So exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And so agree about the kindness of strangers....

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Yesterday went fairly well. I had to cancel a repeating direct debit, but I didn't know the address of the payee which seemed problematical (the DD had been set up as part of an online software purchase). But a quick search showed they had a Contacts page on the internet, which was easy to use, and promised a reply within a few days. :)

Then later, I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun, attempting my sudoku puzzles, when a nurse turned up who couldn't contact her patient to ask to be let in. So I let her in the building with my key, but she was back in a few minutes as she needed to find the patient's keysafe on the outside of the building, so I helped her find that.

She was grateful for my assistance, and said "You must be an angel in disguise!"
I replied "I've never been called that before!" :cool:

And then Arsenal won 2-0, with Walcott and Giroud scoring. :D

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm proper excited :) ..

I've spent the last week making a prop WW2 gas mask box and I've been anal retentive about it ... this morning I dyed the imitation labels to make them less white and allowed them to become slightly scuffed in a couple of places (because they would be if people were taking the masks in and out for practice or what not).

My boss knows a bloke, a regular customer although I didn't know he was a WW2 nut .. he's kindly lent me a genuine vintage and in great condition civilian box that measures up exactly to my fake recreation, complete with original mask inside and canvas bag as well as a an American GI bag with everything the same :cool: .. they're sitting in my dining room right now. I can't wait to look at them properly. On top of that, he's told me that anything I need, just ask for the 1940's weekend we're going to. He's even going to loan me a vintage complete GI outfit with all the accessories including paperwork, identity card etc .. none of it reproduction stuff either! .. this stuff should be in a museum IMO, his attitude is f*** it, it's 75 years old anyway .. so he's not going to have kittens if I lean against a wall or something. I promise I'll look after it and not lean against any walls ;). Can't wait for this.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
photos! we need photos!

and if you want to remain mysterious you can wear the gas mask!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Woke up in the afternoon and spent the whole day with my little girl - who is almost as besotted with me as I am with her. What with work picking up, there haven't been enough such days lately.

Swifty

Reaction score
photos! we need photos!

and if you want to remain mysterious you can wear the gas mask!
The civilian gas mask's authentic and in good condition .. I cleaned it last night and it looks even better although G.I.'s wouldn't have been issued with one of those obviously .. the bag I'm wearing is the real deal although the mask inside is Russian from the same era .. I'll see what I can do about pics but don't hold your breath on that one .. I'm just shit at putting pictures online that I've taken :fckpc: .. don't know how to do it .. Rynner, HELP!

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
Reaction score
Swifty be careful if they are of the period, they will contain asbestos.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I'm just shit at putting pictures online that I've taken :fckpc: .. don't know how to do it .. Rynner, HELP!
If you've got the pics as digital files on your computer, you're over half-way there. Start a post, and click 'Upload a File'. A little dialogue box comes up showing the folders, etc, on your computer. Select the folder containing the required pic(s), and then click a pic - that puts its name into the dialogue box. Then click Open, and wait for the magic to happen! Then you just have to choose whether your image shows as a thumbnail or full-size.

(I keep a Pending folder for stuff I want to upload. So if I want to crop or resize a pic before uploading, I save it into Pending after editing so I don't accidentally edit my original file.)

Swifty

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a go at that. All of my pictures seem to be in three places, there's a disc my Dad sent me with old family pics in one place, stuff I've right clicked on from other online sites that I post here and another in that I haven't sussed out how cloud works yet. My camera/video machine is a Panasonic HC-V520 camcorder that comes with its own instructions including instant upload function to Youtube .. that is, when I can understand how to use the bloody thing correctly ..

Swifty

Reaction score
Someone somewhere has just taught me how to load, operate and fire an AK47, albeit a replica one ... he's ex serving military so that was fun :cool:.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The civilian gas mask's authentic and in good condition .. I cleaned it last night and it looks even better although G.I.'s wouldn't have been issued with one of those obviously .. the bag I'm wearing is the real deal although the mask inside is Russian from the same era .. I'll see what I can do about pics but don't hold your breath on that one .. I'm just shit at putting pictures online that I've taken :fckpc: .. don't know how to do it .. Rynner, HELP!

Swifty - did you see what Heckler said about asbestos??

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Yesterday went fairly well. I had to cancel a repeating direct debit, but I didn't know the address of the payee which seemed problematical (the DD had been set up as part of an online software purchase). But a quick search showed they had a Contacts page on the internet, which was easy to use, and promised a reply within a few days. :)
I got the promised reply, and the DD is cancelled! A load off my mind.

A pleasure to do business with you, gentlemen!

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I'm just sitting here on the first day of the rest of my life with a cup of fresh-brewed coffee and toast with actual butter. Heh.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
As I'm working late I'm taking it easy.