The Unwhinge Thread

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I write freelance. A few days ago, I pitched an idea to a publisher I've always wanted to write for. Only an idea - I've not written a word of the book as it was a bit of a punt, but it would be a fast write as most of the research is sitting on my iPad.

On Monday got an email to say they might be interested - can I send a sample chapter and more detailed synopsis? I'm still dithering about which chapter to write but... it might be work! There's a lot of pressure to get it right but on the other hand, it would mean I'd get to write about something really cool and interesting; stuff I stumbled on when researching something else entirely. I've given myself the next few days to write the chapter which is, of course, why I'm procrastinating on here.

Also, a confidence boost - last week someone I have fangirled from afar for three decades, told my current publisher she loves my "style". There's no words for how great that felt.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
GITHM, best of luck - do we get a hint at the subject matter?

My unwhinge: have received my late-grandfather's army records months before they were due to arrive.
I was poring over them while playing with dinner and they're fascinating: countless little leads to follow up when time allows: quite aside from his geographical movements, there's everything from an 'emotional stability' score to the extent of his chest expansion and complexion.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
what date Yith?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm researching both grandfathers. The one whose paperwork I now have was a regular soldier in the Royal Artillery between 1946-52 (and then transferred to the reserves). It was a busy time for a British soldier and I have him in Germany, Egypt, Malaya, Singapore and Cyprus for various spells.

The other grandfather - whose records I'm waiting for - was conscripted into the Essex Regiment '40-45 and - as far as I know fought the duration with the 8th Army. The papers should be really interesting as he was, I think, involved in some of the major battles of the war.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'm proper excited :) ..

I've spent the last week making a prop WW2 gas mask box and I've been anal retentive about it ... this morning I dyed the imitation labels to make them less white and allowed them to become slightly scuffed in a couple of places (because they would be if people were taking the masks in and out for practice or what not).

My boss knows a bloke, a regular customer although I didn't know he was a WW2 nut .. he's kindly lent me a genuine vintage and in great condition civilian box that measures up exactly to my fake recreation, complete with original mask inside and canvas bag as well as a an American GI bag with everything the same :cool: .. they're sitting in my dining room right now. I can't wait to look at them properly. On top of that, he's told me that anything I need, just ask for the 1940's weekend we're going to. He's even going to loan me a vintage complete GI outfit with all the accessories including paperwork, identity card etc .. none of it reproduction stuff either! .. this stuff should be in a museum IMO, his attitude is f*** it, it's 75 years old anyway .. so he's not going to have kittens if I lean against a wall or something. I promise I'll look after it and not lean against any walls ;). Can't wait for this.

Sorry to quote my own post but it saves time .. so I met up with this gent tonight and he drove me to two lock ups in a field in the middle of nowhere ... it was an aladin's cave of WW2 stuff, some original some reproduction. He picked out an entire vintage GI outfit for me to wear tomorrow in great condition with accessories .. :clap:.. apparently I'm joining the rest of 3rd Divison whatever that means at 10am :cooll: ... when I can post a pic of me posing I will :)

Attachments

• icon_cry___zpsdlr5kid0[1].gif
    icon_cry___zpsdlr5kid0[1].gif
    710 bytes · Views: 7
Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Not sure why I've got a crying emoticon in my last post ... thanks Yithian, I wont be wearing that gas mask + a G.I. wouldn't have been issued with one anyway .. I'm going full nerd out on this one. The guy's replicas included ration packs, boxes, cans, beer bottles, tooth paste, shaving cream etc etc ... but I don't fancy carrying that around all day.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
You look very authentic!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome. As a big reader of Second World War history and an ex-LARPer, I'd love to get dressed up like that, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell the Mrs would understand or participate.

Junior Eighth army officer for me - khakis, moustache, cravat and pipe.

297623d1327530532-two-types-jon-8th-army-cartoon-humour-dscf1527.jpg

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
You look very authentic!
Cheers Mytho :) .... we spent a loooong time getting it just right. Almost everything I was wearing or carrying was genuine vintage ex GI gear including stuff you can't see in the picture, her handbag and dress was also vintage ... we both had original gas masks, mine military issue and hers UK civilian although I had to make the replica box for hers, the canvas bags both of the masks were in were original ... we got to pose for tons of photos :cool: ...

If anyone fancies going next year, it's in Sheringham, Norfolk and all access is completely free, the only charge is if you get on one of the steam trains and that was only a couple of quid ! ... you don't have to dress up but it's more fun if you do ...

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Cheers Mytho :) .... we spent a loooong time getting it just right. Almost everything I was wearing or carrying was genuine vintage ex GI gear including stuff you can't see in the picture, her handbag and dress was also vintage ... we both had original gas masks, mine military issue and hers UK civilian although I had to make the replica box for hers, the canvas bags both of the masks were in were original ... we got to pose for tons of photos :cool: ...

If anyone fancies going next year, it's in Sheringham, Norfolk and all access is completely free, the only charge is if you get on one of the steam trains and that was only a couple of quid ! ... you don't have to dress up but it's more fun if you do ...

Lot of Norfolkians probably dress like that anyway.

Swifty

Reaction score
He's not lying ....

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Unbeknownst to me, a local school have added me to their list of recommended tutors/teachers. I've had five or six applications for consultations and level tests in the past fortnight - all of which earn me money in themselves - but the first I knew of it was today when a middle-aged walked into my office prodding at my name on the screen of her mobile phone and telling me that I was very popular! I owe somebody a beer for certain, but I don't know whom!

Last edited:

dreeness .

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Something weird I remember from very long ago, the sensation of becoming mesmerized by watching clothes as they spin in a giant front-loading washing machine in a coin-laundry. Disoriented by the one dark green sock that appears out of the foaming murk and seems to attack the glass like some marauding soapy shark in a rotating wall-mounted ocean.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Don't you mean "the big toes up"?

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Just back from a great event from the Auticulture Network at Bakery 47 with the CCA and Tchai-ovna. Many teas blended and tasted and rated - herbs and plants we have grown on our two allotments. Much cake consumed. Existing friends reaffirmed, new friends linked to, random members of the public enjoyed and fed cake and tea. One knitted budgie handed over to a special friend. AND I WON A PRIZE of a bright pink chinese style teapot and six cute wee tins of speciality teas!

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I have a photo but I am too weary to do the loading it somewhere :(

I know, I fail :(

It is a very wonderful Teapot.
If the photo is a digital file on your computer, just use the "Upload a File" button. Easy Peasy!

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
It's the tins that caught my attention. They believe in tradition in China. Mine, of identical design, must be thirty-five years old but I have never thrown them out, despite the odd rust-spot. I only have three of the little square ones with a big octagonal one to match. All currently empty or full of stale, old leaves.

It makes me want to get some Lapsong Suchong and Jasmine tea - so nice for autumn! :)

Be careful of the bamboo tea-pot handle, by the way! I have known one to fail in conditions which could have been very awkward. I see yours has two and they may be covering metal cores. I hope so! :eek:

Last edited: