Staff member
Reaction score
Handle comments noted with thanks...... :D

and also the caddy history! :D

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
GITHM, best of luck - do we get a hint at the subject matter?

My unwhinge: have received my late-grandfather's army records months before they were due to arrive.
I was poring over them while playing with dinner and they're fascinating: countless little leads to follow up when time allows: quite aside from his geographical movements, there's everything from an 'emotional stability' score to the extent of his chest expansion and complexion.

Update: Yith is grinning from ear to ear.

After many hours poring over small details of my paternal grandfather's records, I've made a breakthrough and actually found a photo online of him in Freetown, Sierra Leone in 1941. I now understand how these amateur genealogists get hooked. The moment I saw him in ranks with thirty other men, I picked him out - despite his having been gone twenty years and this being a photo of him at a young age, thirty-seven years before my own birth. Anyway, I quickly emailed my father the picture, and then called him at once and instructed him to find his father. He also identified him in seconds - he looks an awful lot like me! I have a copy of the published regimental history - for which I paid a fortune - and the next step is to get copies of his battalion's War Diaries for '39-'45. It seems incredible that thanks to the photographs I now know which company he was in within his battalion. This will enable me trace his movements and duties all over North Africa and Italy (via Cyprus, Palestine and Sierra Leone) and I now have a set of grainy photographs of many of the locales to which he was posted.

Pleased as punch.

Last edited:

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

Pleased as punch.

I envy you, Yith. I tried to get my father's RAF war service records via a website, but they couldn't even find anyone with the correct name! Still, this fuels the fantasy that he was actually working undercover, a real-life James Bond, thwarting the Nazis at every turn...

Well, I can dream! :rolleyes:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

After many hours poring over small details of my paternal grandfather's records, I've made a breakthrough and actually found a photo online of him in Freetown, Sierra Leone in 1941. I now understand how these amateur genealogists get hooked. The moment I saw him in ranks with thirty other men, I picked him out - despite his having been gone twenty years and this being a photo of him at a young age, thirty-seven years before my own birth. Anyway, I quickly emailed my father the picture, and then called him at once and instructed him to find his father. He also identified him in seconds - he looks an awful lot like me! I have a copy of the published regimental history - for which I paid a fortune - and the next step is to get copies of his battalion's War Diaries for '39-'45. It seems incredible that thanks to the photographs I now know which company he was in within his battalion. This will enable me trace his movements and duties all over North Africa and Italy (via Cypress, Palestine and Sierra Leone) and I now have a set of grainy photographs of many of the locales to which he was posted.

Pleased as punch.

Brilliant find Yith .. result .. I ****ing love looking at my old family photos ... I've got them going back to the late 1800's that my Gran had passed down to her to take care of then she passed them on to my Dad in the late 80's .. it could have all gone badly wrong though because no one was in when she delivered them so the only thing she could find apparently to put them inside was the mobile gas powered barbecue that was kept outside, this was the middle of summer and we always switched it on without lifting the lid ... and we were using it loads ! :eek: .... my best mate who would have been about 14 at the time accidently spotted them one day before we switched it on ....

I'd love to see any more of your pics mate.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I envy you, Yith. I tried to get my father's RAF war service records via a website, but they couldn't even find anyone with the correct name! Still, this fuels the fantasy that he was actually working undercover, a real-life James Bond, thwarting the Nazis at every turn...

Well, I can dream! :rolleyes:

The official records people are excellent. It'll cost you £30, but if you can manage either a service number or a complete Name/Address/Date of Birth, they have an excellent chance of locating his records. Nothing helpful is online and you'll be sent photocopies of the actual documents with borderline-illegible handwriting but an awful lot of detail. They repeatedly warn of long delays due to demand, but are currently managing a six-week turnaround. I can direct you to the appropriate forms to download and complete should you be interested. Oh, you also need proof of death - a certificate ideally, but others have been approved on a photo of a grave or memorial service paper.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The official records people are excellent. It'll cost you £30, but if you can manage either a service number or a complete Name/Address/Date of Birth, they have an excellent chance of locating his records. Nothing helpful is online and you'll be sent photocopies of the actual documents with borderline-illegible handwriting but an awful lot of detail. They repeatedly warn of long delays due to demand, but are currently managing a six-week turnaround. I can direct you to the appropriate forms to download and complete should you be interested. Oh, you also need proof of death - a certificate ideally, but others have been approved on a photo of a grave or memorial service paper.
Thanks for the info. But sadly I have almost none of that information. (Although possibly my brother might have the death certificate.)

I'm beginning to wonder if my family really existed - some years ago I found a website that listed passengers on Trans Atlantic liners (useful for people trying to find when their ancestors emigrated, for example). Now the website went up to the then present time, so I tried to find my Aunt, who had crossed on the Queen Mary in 1960 (just to visit rellies, not as an emigrant), but she wasn't listed!
Perhaps my whole family, and my own life, is just a figment of my imagination!! :huh:

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I thought I'd posted before about my Aunt and the Queen Mary, but I just tried a search for it and the only post that turns up is my one, above! Obviously yet another figment of my imagination! :banghead:

Swifty

Reaction score
I thought I'd posted before about my Aunt and the Queen Mary, but I just tried a search for it and the only post that turns up is my one, above! Obviously yet another figment of my imagination! :banghead:
Sounds like your having an existential day Rynner .. probably something to do with the clocks changing or you ate too much cheese last night.

While you're here, I'd love your opinion (because you're an ex sea bloke) on a cup my Dad had then gave to me years later for my 21st birthday present. I'll provide a photo of it when I can but it's a soft white metal goblet with what looks to be hand hammered on floral designs. The inscription on it reads:

R.N.V.R.
2ND.Co.LDN
INTER SUB
SEAMANSHIP
SEAMAN BUNKLEY

As I understand it, the Royal Naval Voluntary Reserve hadn't been going long then and was the brain child of Winston Churchill when he was Lord Admiral. The LDN bit I think means London? .. I read that there were probably less than 20 men serving with it at that time, I'm also interested in the INTER SUB part, could that be referring to the famously fraught submarines we were trying to develop ?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. But sadly I have almost none of that information. (Although possibly my brother might have the death certificate.)

I'm beginning to wonder if my family really existed - some years ago I found a website that listed passengers on Trans Atlantic liners (useful for people trying to find when their ancestors emigrated, for example). Now the website went up to the then present time, so I tried to find my Aunt, who had crossed on the Queen Mary in 1960 (just to visit rellies, not as an emigrant), but she wasn't listed!
Perhaps my whole family, and my own life, is just a figment of my imagination!! :huh:

Maybe your Aunt was a stowaway on the liner?

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
While you're here, I'd love your opinion (because you're an ex sea bloke) on a cup my Dad had then gave to me years later for my 21st birthday present. I'll provide a photo of it when I can but it's a soft white metal goblet with what looks to be hand hammered on floral designs. The inscription on it reads:

R.N.V.R.
2ND.Co.LDN
INTER SUB
SEAMANSHIP
SEAMAN BUNKLEY

As I understand it, the Royal Naval Voluntary Reserve hadn't been going long then and was the brain child of Winston Churchill when he was Lord Admiral. The LDN bit I think means London? .. I read that there were probably less than 20 men serving with it at that time, I'm also interested in the INTER SUB part, could that be referring to the famously fraught submarines we were trying to develop ?
I'm afraid I don't know any more than you. Wiki doesn't have 'Royal Naval Voluntary Reserve', so I tried 'Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve', which redirected to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Naval_Reserve (This actually goes way back into the 19th century.)

I then tried DDG, which in addition turned up this:
http://www.exeterflotilla.org/pubsite/rnvr.html (which is Volunteer, not Voluntary, and does date from 1903)

I'm afraid it's a bit of a wall of text, but you may find some more clues there! Good hunting!

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know any more than you. Wiki doesn't have 'Royal Naval Voluntary Reserve', so I tried 'Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve', which redirected to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Naval_Reserve (This actually goes way back into the 19th century.)

I then tried DDG, which in addition turned up this:
http://www.exeterflotilla.org/pubsite/rnvr.html (which is Volunteer, not Voluntary, and does date from 1903)

I'm afraid it's a bit of a wall of text, but you may find some more clues there! Good hunting!

Thanks man, I'll get busy with that ..

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a great time at the Indy rally in Glasgow yesterday. Sun came out and it was all great fun and enjoyable. Police jigging along to the music as usual, bless 'em!

And YesBikers were there, which, given my proclivities was just..... :glee: here's a wee video of them being gorgeous!

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Maybe your Aunt was a stowaway on the liner?
Well, she wasn't hiding in a lifeboat, under a tarpaulin! Here she is, waving goodbye from an upper deck:

16.jpg

(This photo was found on my computer by Win10 search. But annoyingly I can't seem to find which folder it's in! (It should be in my B&W folder, but it isn't!) And the date given for this version is clearly when the snapshot was digitised, not when it was taken.)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Maybe your aunt was booked in under a different name?
Mrs Smith or Miss Jones, perhaps?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
I think I've passed the recovery point after a week-long illness and managed to avoid the hospital. :glee: Fingers crossed that I have not spoken too soon.

(I've used the glee emoticon instead of clap, because ill and clap together makes it sound like I've had an STD. :p)

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...(I've used the glee emoticon instead of clap, because ill and clap together makes it sound like I've had an STD. :p)

Whereas now it looks like your hands fell off at a rave...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today I found a pair of tatty old jeans that I'd been meaning to patch. Ruined them by cycling in'em, y'know.

The time was right - the machine was threaded - the jeans were patched. :)

I like to underpatch denim, leaving the interesting frayed edges showing. Gives a nice layered effect. Worked very well indeed today.

There would have been a photo except, well, you lot don't want to look at my raggy crotch. ;)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You're welcome.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
So having the appropriately-baggy jeans to wear for a big job I dragged everything out of the Washing Machine Shed and rearranged it all. The idea was to replace the washer & dryer with the new ones but I couldn't get it all finished before the rain started. Got most of it done though.

Just had a nice late lunch of fridge soup* with cheese on toast and a brew.

*All the bits knocking about in the fridge chucked in the soup machine with water and tikka powder.
Today's effort: squash/onion/carrot. Highly recommended. :cool:

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
Just had a nice late lunch of fridge soup* with cheese on toast and a brew.

*All the bits knocking about in the fridge chucked in the soup machine with water and tikka powder.
Today's effort: squash/onion/carrot. Highly recommended. :cool:

Sounds a lot better than 'compost soup', doesn't it?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It all goes down the same 'ole.

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Medical procedure has been performed, now for the wait.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We brought our puppy home yesterday, a Bedlington Terrier. She is beyond cute and didn't cry once when we left her to sleep downstairs last night. She only cried at 5:45 this morning, to go outside, had a poo and a pee and came back in. She is currently fast asleep spread across my wife who is lying on the sofa. :)